Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

I'd love Bernie to win if only because of the inevitable "two world leaders at podiums giving an announcement in that one hallway in the white house" moment where you've got Bernie Sanders and his humanities-postdoc-just-finished-writing-a-grant-proposal hair standing next to some expertly-coiffed prime minister/president talking about an impoah-tant step foah-wed between a nations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Looks like Lindsey's having a good night.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

In *one* poll.

Another poll released today has him at 20% nationally. So he's probably at least doubled his polls in less than two weeks.

edit: actually sorry, looks like this one wasn't a national poll it was a North Carolina poll.

Sheng-Ji Yang fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Jul 10, 2015

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
If anyone is doubting the right's special hatred of the Clintons, the month of zen is currently interviewing a guy that wants to build the "Counter-Clinton Library" complete with wings dedicated to Hillary in two thousand loving four

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

Another poll released today has him at 20% nationally. So he's probably at least doubled his polls in less than two weeks.

So you think in a month he's going to be a front runner, huh.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Has it been posted who is sharing stage with Trump tomorrow

sheriff Joe Arpaio

http://www.breitbart.com/immigration/2015/07/10/donald-trump-immigration-event-with-joe-arpaio-expects-5000-attendees/

They are expecting 5,000 people

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Shifty Pony posted:

Even still that poll is not good news for Bernie. Because here's the trouble with pinning your hopes on the hispanic vote: they don't turn out. And here's the thing about having the black vote on your side: they turn out in a big way. in 2008 Hillary had 2:1 or greater lead over Obama in the Hispanic vote and a greater lead in the white vote than she does over Bernie now and she still lost because Obama had a 9:1 lock on the black vote and they turned out.. This time that poll shows the black demographic going 8:1 for Hillary. You'd need to see a very lopsided split for hispanics and decently sized one for white voters for Bernie for him to have a fighting chance in hell.

I don't think the black vote is going to turn out for Hillary in any way that even begins to approach what happened with Obama.

Mostly the white vote turns out. The old, white vote.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
Out of curiosity, have there been any Sanders v ClownCar polls done? I'm still way too jaded to think he'll beat Hillary, but I get this flicker of hope now and again...

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

So you think in a month he's going to be a front runner, huh.

I sincerely doubt that. His poll numbers will continue to increase most likely as he gets more press and voter recognition, but I doubt he will surpass Clinton nationally unless she does really bad in the debates or he wins Iowa/NH (which he has an actual chance of doing). Or maybe Webb somehow gets Webbmentum and steals moderates from Hillary.

pwnyXpress
Mar 28, 2007

Vox Nihili posted:

I don't think the black vote is going to turn out for Hillary in any way that even begins to approach what happened with Obama.

Especially with Bernie increasingly emphasizing things like black incarceration and unemployment rates, and the fact that he marched with MLK Jr.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Vox Nihili posted:

For extra fun Trump is going to make sure birtherism becomes an issue again which leads right back to Hillary.

MrPants
Nov 17, 2005

Shifty Pony posted:

I would really like to see some likely democratic primary voters polling for the Hillary-Bern matchup. Going just by registered voters and self-identification like that poll did isn't good enough. For example note the split for self identified Democrats: 65-29 Hillary. And between Democrats and independents guess who is most likely to vote in the Democratic primary... especially if the GOP clown car is still going full power.

Even still that poll is not good news for Bernie. Because here's the trouble with pinning your hopes on the hispanic vote: they don't turn out. And here's the thing about having the black vote on your side: they turn out in a big way. in 2008 Hillary had 2:1 or greater lead over Obama in the Hispanic vote and a greater lead in the white vote than she does over Bernie now and she still lost because Obama had a 9:1 lock on the black vote and they turned out.. This time that poll shows the black demographic going 8:1 for Hillary. You'd need to see a very lopsided split for hispanics and decently sized one for white voters for Bernie for him to have a fighting chance in hell.

You can see this by running a theoretical: Let's take Texas and assume turnout demographics similar to 2008: 50:30:20 white:hispanic:black (note this was a record-shattering hispanic turnout due to massive GOTV efforts from the Hillary camp). Assuming the entire "not sure" block of black voters goes Bernie so Hillary has a 80:20 lead over Bernie with the black vote Bernie would need something like a 10 point lead in the white vote and a 40 point spread in the hispanic vote to pull off a win.

I just don't think the polls for either party are going to be terribly predictive right now. I think they will get a lot better after the debates where there is more opportunity for the less politically aware to form an opinion on the candidates. I just don't see a lot of people actually strongly supporting a candidate until the fall. Americans are terrible at being involved in their own government.

That said, I think you make a good point about taking turn out numbers into account when evaluating poll results.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

OAquinas posted:

Out of curiosity, have there been any Sanders v ClownCar polls done? I'm still way too jaded to think he'll beat Hillary, but I get this flicker of hope now and again...

Nope. There were some X vs. Biden polls earlier, but they're just using Hillary for head-to-heads now.

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

With the blessing of the Based God there is no way Bernie can lose.

MrPants
Nov 17, 2005

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

sheriff Joe Arpaio

http://www.breitbart.com/immigration/2015/07/10/donald-trump-immigration-event-with-joe-arpaio-expects-5000-attendees/

Holy poo poo that is both the saddest and most beautiful thing I have heard in a long time. The GOP frontrunner on stage with a man who tortured people who had yet to even be indicted. Is this a dream? Thank you, Mr. Trump. Thank you for being brave enough to parade every horrible thing that the GOP has been smart enough to keep under the surface for all this time. You are doing good work.

MrPants
Nov 17, 2005

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

I sincerely doubt that. His poll numbers will continue to increase most likely as he gets more press and voter recognition, but I doubt he will surpass Clinton nationally unless she does really bad in the debates or he wins Iowa/NH (which he has an actual chance of doing). Or maybe Webb somehow gets Webbmentum and steals moderates from Hillary.

I think there will be a tipping point at which the electability arguments around Bernie could crumble. That would be the start of a pretty sizable shift in support away from Hillary towards Bernie. I think that if he can make it into the 40s nationally, things will get real interesting fast. Getting to 40% is a pretty steep climb, admittedly.

pwnyXpress
Mar 28, 2007

MrPants posted:

I think there will be a tipping point at which the electability arguments around Bernie could crumble. That would be the start of a pretty sizable shift in support away from Hillary towards Bernie. I think that if he can make it into the 40s nationally, things will get real interesting fast. Getting to 40% is a pretty steep climb, admittedly.

True, but we must have faith Comrade Pants.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

MrPants posted:

Sanders' biggest issue is that he's gotten no traction with non-white Democrats, who now comprise the majority of their voting bloc. It's not surprising that he's gaining in Iowa, NH and the all-important Something Awful forums, where the population is generally white and liberal. He's gonna have a really hard time nationally unless his message starts hitting home with non-white voters.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

exquisite tea posted:

Sanders' biggest issue is that he's gotten no traction with non-white Democrats, who now comprise the majority of their voting bloc. It's not surprising that he's gaining in Iowa, NH and the all-important Something Awful forums, where the population is generally white and liberal. He's gonna have a really hard time nationally unless his message starts hitting home with non-white voters.

"You're getting economically/generationally hosed" has a pretty broad resonance; I don't think his message will have a problem.

His main issue is that he's an old white guy from a small NE state who few outside poli circles have heard of. If/Once he shrinks that 40-50% of people who've never heard of him down to low double digits then we can safely say how much support he can expect from PoC/nonwhite Dems.

MrPants
Nov 17, 2005

exquisite tea posted:

This is true. There are some early signs that this could be changing but you are correct. It is a problem that he either has to find a way to address or he will lose. His campaign talked about needing a strategy to deal with that problem a month ago. I guess we will have to see how successful his campaign is in tackling it in a month or two.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

exquisite tea posted:

He is doing better among hispanics dems than white people, by a lot. Check out the poll posted a couple pages ago.

He is still way behind with black people though, and he will absolutely need to address that.

bpower
Feb 19, 2011

Joementum posted:

Looks like Lindsey's having a good night.

If he wasn't a reckless warmonger I'd probably really like him. Did you see he talking about Joe Biden after his son's death? He seems like a decent man with a poo poo load of terrible ideas.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

He is doing better among hispanics dems than white people, by a lot. Check out the poll posted a couple pages ago.

He is still way behind with black people though, and he will absolutely need to address that.

David Brooks on NPR just said Sanders has a Latino problem; I wonder how long perceptions will continue to fuel reality.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

It's one data point, from one poll. At this point last year you thought 1 billion people would have ebola by January 2015.

What I'm trying to say is that Sanders has a lot of work to do. I'm not saying it's impossible, or that he doesn't have a chance, but it'll be pretty daunting for his campaign.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Hillary will attend the Senate Democratic Caucus luncheon next week. Also in attendance: Senators who caucus with the Democrats. :munch:

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Saw an actual TV ad for https://www.ronpaulvideo12.com

This is excellent news!!! For Rand!!!

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
it doesnt matter because the gop will win

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science

"So an anecdote isn't evidence, eh? How about FIVE anecdotes? Checkmate, libs."

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Hey are you a creepy shut-in white dude? (Obviously, yes, you're a goon) Well, you can record your personal endorsement of Rand Paul!

Click here to watch a few.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

Well, I hate to be cynical, but does he? Can he win the Democratic Party primary with Hispanic and Caucasian votes, then rely on Obama's endorsement to bring in African-American voters in the general?

More to the point though, I suspect the reason Bernie is underperforming among minorities is name recognition. That might still be enough for Hillary to pull out a win but he's going to get a certain amount of publicity as the not-Hillary.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Jul 10, 2015

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Has Hillary's campaign really started shifting into gear?

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Twenty years? It's no wonder I'm so hungry. Do you have anything to eat?

Joementum posted:

Hey are you a creepy shut-in white dude? (Obviously, yes, you're a goon) Well, you can record your personal endorsement of Rand Paul!

Click here to watch a few.

I want Chuck from Nevada to run :allears:

A Bag of Milk
Jul 3, 2007

I don't see any American dream; I see an American nightmare.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hzqvw8q95Us&t=440s

Here's Bernie giving a pretty full throated denunciation of police brutality, saying police who break the law need to be held accountable, and that we need to stop police from beating and murdering black people on a regular basis. He ties it back into racism, not just economics. It's July 2015 too, just seems a bit early to declare Bernie can never win the black vote.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

A Bag of Milk posted:

Here's Bernie giving a pretty full throated denunciation of police brutality, saying police who break the law need to be held accountable

It's part of his stump speech. He's been saying it at all his events in the last month. Some people just like to pretend he isn't.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

sheriff Joe Arpaio

LOL, Trump really is going balls to the wall racist tough on illegal immigration.

Agrajag fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Jul 11, 2015

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

It even has the ring!

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

We should probably update the candidate photos in the OP

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008
Everything in that link is loving terrifying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feather
Mar 1, 2003
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.

The Ted Cruz one is an improvement IMHO

• Locked thread