Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Trundel posted:

On the New World metals conversation, it would be cool if a Colonial Power or nation could get events to switch their trade goods in a province from those that were highly desirable during the colonization rush to those that are better to sustain their nation. I imagine a system similar to outlawing slavery getting you whole new goods in provinces that traded in slaves previously.

What goods do nations "need" though? I mean this isn't Victoria where we're supplying factories, isn't all the matters is the value of the goods? So a nation of 100% cocoa would be perfectly rich vs one with an actual balanced mix of resources they'd need for self sufficiency?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Gonna have to quote myself here. It is now februrary 1806, and I just all but doubled my land force limit, but before I go to war I really want to see if there actually is a way I can get to fighht all of the HRE electors at the same time or at least have some of them at my side and the rest with the emperor so I can end the HRE.

Randarkman posted:

e: Still gonna have to find some way to be at war with all the electors at the same time. Really want to end the HRE. I notice that both of the electors that left, Mainz (who have -479 AE with me), is in a coalition against Bohemia (the emperor) and Wurzburg (-430 AE) are now in a coalition against Bohemia, guess they just hate them more than me.

Will I still be able to use my Revolution CB if I join the coalition? And will the coalition join my war? No loving way am I joining the coalition only to have Lithuania (the coalition leader) gently caress up everything by waging war for the last 15 years just to do whatever it is that the AI considers "punishing Bohemia".

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

Trundel posted:

On the New World metals conversation, it would be cool if a Colonial Power or nation could get events to switch their trade goods in a province from those that were highly desirable during the colonization rush to those that are better to sustain their nation. I imagine a system similar to outlawing slavery getting you whole new goods in provinces that traded in slaves previously.

Late game industrialization ftw

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

Baronjutter posted:

What goods do nations "need" though? I mean this isn't Victoria where we're supplying factories, isn't all the matters is the value of the goods? So a nation of 100% cocoa would be perfectly rich vs one with an actual balanced mix of resources they'd need for self sufficiency?

The conditions between Viccy's time period and EU's for economic subsistence are not too different. Colonial ventures tended to favour goods which were ones which the Western powers did not have enough of, or wanted as a luxury. You might make a fair bit of money selling off all of that tobacco you grow, but you would lose a lot of that money importing iron, copper, other crops like grain or rice, salt, etc. Those were goods which other nations also considered vital to survival, so they would not be cheap. Relying on a colonial venture trade good alone would not be enough for independent subsistence, especially if they are not on your continent. Instead, it would just be better to just source them locally and treat the colonially valued goods as something on top.

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

EU4 with an economy even half as complicated as Vicky would make me cum.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Another Person posted:

The conditions between Viccy's time period and EU's for economic subsistence are not too different. Colonial ventures tended to favour goods which were ones which the Western powers did not have enough of, or wanted as a luxury. You might make a fair bit of money selling off all of that tobacco you grow, but you would lose a lot of that money importing iron, copper, other crops like grain or rice, salt, etc. Those were goods which other nations also considered vital to survival, so they would not be cheap. Relying on a colonial venture trade good alone would not be enough for independent subsistence, especially if they are not on your continent. Instead, it would just be better to just source them locally and treat the colonially valued goods as something on top.

Right but like... is this all just for economic role playing or does the game have some internal economy I've never known about? Aren't goods values global and there's no tracking on who's importing or exporting what other than those little trade bonuses?

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012
I guess everybody has hiw own way of playing this game, but I was wondering if I'm the only one who pretty much plays exclusively with custom nations designed to be optimal for world conquest. I also edited technology.txt in such a way that nobody has tech penalty (i.e. everybody has western tech), because I feel that otherwise expanding into non western countries is way too easy (military wise) and boring.

That said, what do you guys think would be the best starting location, considering no tech penalities, for a custom nation world conquest playthrough? Obviously how many provinces you get depend on their development so the actual development of the provinces you pick probably doesn't matter so much, it's more about which region has the best options for expanding and is easiest to dominate trade in? Culture and religion is also something to take into account...

My latest start was in the area of Constantinople as a christian theocracy, but I doubt it's optimal.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Sitting here trying to think of a way to pounce on Bohemia and the HRE and I'm wondering if its worth it to just loving break the truce with Austria (not in the coalition and only allied with Castille) in order to just grab as much as I can before they collapse entirely (they are currently in alot of wars with opportunistic neigbors). This would also let me feed Republican Spain some more of Castille. Austria and Castille have about 20,000 troops between the two of them (and pretty much all of them are Austria's).

It's -3 to stability, but I am already at +3, and the war exhaustion hit is basically meaningless (I have -0.20 war exhaustion per month when at war).

After that I'll see what there is to do. But maybe I'll just break some more truces. This time with the Teutonic Order and Russia. It's not really as if -30 AE is of any consequence to me at this point, considering my giant army and the fact that there are several countries that have -700 AE penalty against me.

e: Strike that. Seems Bohemia will want to protect Austria and call in the coalition. Going against the Teutonic Order and Russia is still an option though.

e2: Still wondering if joining the anti-Bohemia coalition would work and allow me to use the revolution CB...

e3: Fuckit. Baltic war it is. I even found a way to do it without involving Russia.

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Jul 10, 2015

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Walh Hara posted:

My latest start was in the area of Constantinople as a christian theocracy, but I doubt it's optimal.
No, that's pretty much THE optimal location for conquest as far as I know. The only bad things are the extra distance to the new world if you plan to do colonizing and dealing with all those sunni provinces if they are heretic or heathen.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

firestruck posted:

The answer is clear, conquer the religious center and counter-convert it. It's the duty of any true catholic.

This is a good idea except it's loving Antwerp and Thuringen on the other side of Eurpoe converting poo poo in Italy with no other protestant provinces between me and Germany.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Knuc U Kinte posted:

This is a good idea except it's loving Antwerp and Thuringen on the other side of Eurpoe converting poo poo in Italy with no other protestant provinces between me and Germany.
Yeah this poo poo annoys me to no end. I loved in when Copenhagen was converting poo poo in Greece in a previous Ottoman game.

AppropriateUser
Feb 17, 2012

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Is there some way to stop CoR from convertign my provinces? I'm the freaking Papal States and I got 2 provinces on the other side of Europe converting my poo poo and noone else is experiencing it. Cremona and Mantua just got flipped by Antwerpen and Thuringen.

I had the same problem in my papal run. Made worse by the fact that everyone else in Italy was apparently immune. Every time I took a province it was converted by a CoR within a year.

While I'm at it, maybe the Evangelical Union needs an AI bump to make it slightly more aggressive, because Austria was the only Catholic country left in the Empire by the early 1600's, but the Protestants decided that even with help from France, Scandinavia, and Turkey they couldn't hope to win and just meekly accepted a Catholic Empire. Austria had no manpower and 6k ducats in loans. Were they so outmatched that it swung around and made them look formidable?

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007
If anyone wants to start any mp games there's a new EU4 mp thread:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3730493

We're starting signups now for the next main eu4 goon mp game that starts August 1st and runs every Saturday. I'll leave most of the wall of text out but you can find more info in the second post of that thread.

quote:

Innocens Parum Mannulos - A weekly Saturday game of EU MP

• When: Saturdays 3:00PM-7PM EST (the usual time)
• Start date: August 1st
• In-game start date: 1444 vanilla
• Where: Packed Europe
• Locked Ledger

We use mumble, and you aren't required to talk but you do need it to listen to know when we're rehosting. You should be online on mumble and Steam at least 10 minutes before the session in order to start the session on the hour. Please respect the other players and be online on time!

Placement

• Players must pick their top 3+ (more is better) choices in their registration post. They will be placed 1 week before game start. The first 18 countries on this list are considered vital and 19 onwards are in order of importance to game health. There is no guarantee you will get your first pick so please include ALL countries you would like to play in this game on your list.

1. Portugal
    2. Castile
    3. France
    4. England
    5. Austria
    6. Burgundy
    7. Bohemia
    8. HRE Middle Power
    9. Baltic State
    10. 1st Italian State
    11. 1st Scandinavian State
    12. Poland
    13. Ottoman Empire
    14. Lithuania
    15. Muscovy
    16. Hungary
    17. Mamluks
    18. Aragon
    19. 2nd Italian State
    20. Crimea
    21. 2nd Scandinavian State
    22. HRE Power
    23. 3rd Italian State
    24. HRE Power
    25. Timurids
    26. Ethiopia
    27. Berber State
    28. Songhai / Mali
    29. Other Horde
    30. Free choice within Europe etc.

If knocked out of your original country it may be possible to be placed in a new one, but if things look rough don't give in too soon.

Anyone interested in joining just go to the thread linked at the top of the post with the countries you want to play and your steam info if you're not in the group. I think with the changes common sense brought that this is going to be the best MP game yet. Players who are relatively new are welcome to join, but just be warned that there will be casualties. The goal is to get a player in every notable country in Europe. Country picks have just started but it isn't first come first serve.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3730493

Trujillo fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Jul 11, 2015

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

My little Baltic war has more than doubled the size of Poland, and added Pommerania and Hamburg as new vassal states, I also completely tore up the Livonian Order by having them release a bunch of nations. Next I'm gonna finish up the rest of Castille, while redeploying my armies, by declaring war on their ally Kongo.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

I just noticed in my Ottoman game that Grenada has no cores in Andalucia....no cultural nation has cores on any Andalucian province....I thought every culture had a country?

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

Bort Bortles posted:

I just noticed in my Ottoman game that Grenada has no cores in Andalucia....no cultural nation has cores on any Andalucian province....I thought every culture had a country?

There's weird exceptions to that. I know that Hungary doesn't have Hungarian Culture, so if Austria gobbles them up their cores will disappear.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Been busy deviating from the "big coalition war plan" by waging three little wars. Against the monastic orders in the Baltic, against Castille by way of attacking their African allies and drawing them in without the coalition, and against Bohemia by attacking their ally Romania. The year is 1814.

Anyone have an idea for a name for one or two client states to be formed out of this here area? I've been conquering at a rapid pace these last 10 years, and I hope the remaining 6 will be no different, so they might very well end up expanding their territory as well.

Might go after Russia, next or maybe Austria if Bohemia drops out of the coalition due to the truce they now have with me. Either way means breaking a truce, which is pretty much irrelevant at this point anyway.

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Jul 11, 2015

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.
Grand Duchy of Moravia.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Nice one!

Maybe not the whole area though, I'll give them everything from South of and including Hradecko. Some Saxon lands to the north, gonna do something for those as well I think.

e: Russia is at war with Ming, and I think I might be able to get Persia to fight them on my side. I'm going East! Anyone remember what Revolutionary Russia's tricolor looked like in Wiz's Azeri LP?

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Jul 11, 2015

GSD
May 10, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
Seize some more from Brandenburg and make a Republic of Berlin.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Call it Great Moravia.

e: Or the Teutonic Oder.

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

Baronjutter posted:

I had no idea about those stackwipe mechanics! It seems a bit counter-intuitive. In general though that was my strategy. Line of mountain forts and let the enemy dash them selves against it. But they'd keep coming and coming. I'd tag switch to check out their situation soemtimes and they were at like -1000 gold and 0 manpower but they just kept fielding 100 unit stacks and any time I ventured out to siege I'd get worn down by repeated attacks.

That of course was all in a game that I had started before the latest patch, so like every province had 50-100 dev. That's how 3-4 province minors were fielding 50+ unit armies. The out of control dev bloated everything.

The AI never really knows when to quit. It will go balls-to-the-wall and drive deep into debt and war exhaustion to win.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

So I'm England, the reformation kicked off, I switch to Protestant, and I go to tell my subjects to do the same. Except for some reason I can't change my colonies' religion? I've got two colonial nations that are still Catholic.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Dear Wiz,

Please make it so you can merge a non-mothballed fleet with a mothballed one without having to first un-mothball the mothballed fleet. It's a super tiny inconvenience but is annoying nonetheless when you're building a lot of new ships and have to constantly switch the main fleet on/off just to add the new ships to it.

XOXO,
VDay

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Here's a picture of the CoR bug I went through toward the end of this Holy Trinity run:

It's only affecting me and Savoy (my vassal). You can see Milan has recently started getting converted because I just conquered it. There's no a single other non-catholic province in Italy that doesn't belong to me or Savoy.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

And that concludes the second Russian campaign.

I'm beginning to think that Revolutionary France is very, very powerful.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Here's a picture of the CoR bug I went through toward the end of this Holy Trinity run:

It's only affecting me and Savoy (my vassal). You can see Milan has recently started getting converted because I just conquered it. There's no a single other non-catholic province in Italy that doesn't belong to me or Savoy.

Did you manage the achievement, how was it? Thinking about trying for it, Papal State is crazy strong right now.

Edit: and if I'm understanding correctly, your bug is that the CoRs are specifically loving you over and not converting other Italian states?

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Jul 11, 2015

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Pellisworth posted:

Did you manage the achievement, how was it? Thinking about trying for it, Papal State is crazy strong right now.

Yeah. Though I don't wanna play any more because my provinces are getting converted 2 at a time.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Yeah. Though I don't wanna play any more because my provinces are getting converted 2 at a time.

What is unusual about that though? You get some Religious Unity from NIs so it's really not too bad. Grab the Counter-Reformation decision if you like.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Pellisworth posted:

What is unusual about that though? You get some Religious Unity from NIs so it's really not too bad. Grab the Counter-Reformation decision if you like.

No it's really bad because it seems like a bug. I've already gone from 125% religious unity to 80 in a few years with nothing to do about it. The papal states used to be initially immune to reformation with the rest of Italy merely resistant but the way its working now is that I'm even more susceptible to reformation to the point where CoRs nowhere near me are converting me.

AppropriateUser
Feb 17, 2012

Knuc U Kinte posted:

No it's really bad because it seems like a bug. I've already gone from 125% religious unity to 80 in a few years with nothing to do about it. The papal states used to be initially immune to reformation with the rest of Italy merely resistant but the way its working now is that I'm even more susceptible to reformation to the point where CoRs nowhere near me are converting me.

It'll get worse. My unity bottomed out at like 30%, and that's only because Rome is immune to conversion. It frustrating to have the counter-reformation and not be able to do anything with it, because converting three provinces to Catholicism only gives me a year or so before they convert back to protestantism.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Finally decided to give this a serious try after watching a few of Arumba's videos and it helping me figure out how EU4 works different that Hearts of Iron, and the custom country generator is a great way for me to find the niche I want to play.

Hit a weird bug though, I think (and I'm pretty sure I'm still on 1.12)- at some point Spain just stopped doing anything. They got beat up by the French, Ottomans, and a bunch of Protestant rebels (not sure why Portugal opted to be a center of reformation and then didn't switch their state religion to it?), and now they're just doing nothing. I tag over and I guess they're funding a few colonies, but they've lost at least two colonial nations- one of which (Hispanola) is tearing it up in the Caribbean and central US from Louisiana up to at least Missouri, and I even stumbled into them somehow invading Japanese Korea? But Spain is just sitting around with 1 infantry regiment, no ships, and massive amounts of debt. I'm pretty sure they should have lucky nation status, so it seems odd. Could Hispanola have taken that from them whenever they got their independence?

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

What happens if I annex the Emperor? Can I annex the Emperor?

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Knuc U Kinte posted:

I doubt it's a bug, it's just lovely luck and/or the way CoR priority is coded stacked against you. I'm not sure how CoRs prioritize provinces to convert, always seemed like 1) "home" provinces of Protestant/Reformed nations 2) random province neighboring a Protestant/Reformed province within range of the CoR.

That's definitely not game ending, just a painful Reformation. See if you can kill the CoR in whatever minor is up there south of Hesse.

firestruck
Dec 28, 2010

nullify me

Randarkman posted:

What happens if I annex the Emperor? Can I annex the Emperor?

Someone else gets insta-elected, I believe. If the empire is hereditary then you might become emperor? Not sure if that's annexation or vassalization or both.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Right now I'm really bummed that the game only goes to 1820. The year is now 1816. To think of what I could accomplish with say only 4 or 5 more years.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Pellisworth posted:

I doubt it's a bug, it's just lovely luck and/or the way CoR priority is coded stacked against you. I'm not sure how CoRs prioritize provinces to convert, always seemed like 1) "home" provinces of Protestant/Reformed nations 2) random province neighboring a Protestant/Reformed province within range of the CoR.

That's definitely not game ending, just a painful Reformation. See if you can kill the CoR in whatever minor is up there south of Hesse.

It's definitely a bug. All of the provinces in Italy that have converted and the ones that are currently converting belong to me. That's not bad luck. Look at that drat purple dick.

That cor above Hesse is Frankfurt ...which has converted less stuff than Antwerp and Thuringia, so even if I did conquer them it wouldn't do anything. I just don't want to play rebel whack a mole for the next 100 years when I'm sure it's not wad.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Randarkman posted:

Right now I'm really bummed that the game only goes to 1820. The year is now 1816. To think of what I could accomplish with say only 4 or 5 more years.

It's pretty trivial to change the end dates if you're not doing something foolish like playing ironman.

It's exactly the sort of reason why I never do! :)

aeglus
Jul 13, 2003

WEEK 1 - RETIRED

Fintilgin posted:

It's pretty trivial to change the end dates if you're not doing something foolish like playing ironman.

It's exactly the sort of reason why I never do! :)

The real tragedy is that the game gets boring by the mid years then on the end game stretch it is a pretty awesome albeit simple war game from 1800-1820 and ends in the middle of a massive coalition war.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

aeglus posted:

The real tragedy is that the game gets boring by the mid years then on the end game stretch it is a pretty awesome albeit simple war game from 1800-1820 and ends in the middle of a massive coalition war.

I would VERY much like to see a DLC that extends the game to Dec 31, 1835, to link up with Victoria and specifically focuses on enhancing 1750-1835. More colonial revolution stuff, deeper Napoleonic stuff, etc. Give more a reason to play to the end with some climatic poo poo and tack the extra 15 years on just to give a little more flex to wrapping things up so that you're less likely to get caught in the middle of the End War.

• Locked thread