Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Countblanc posted:

its literally only you

Army of One :911:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.

Ningyou posted:

the attraction is TORG TORG TORG TORG TORGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG TORG TORG, TORG TORG TORG TORG!

its sole noteworthy quality was the game name sounding like a pokemon and you would be surprised how effective 'naming your game after a pokemon you just kind of made up who is also an anime cyberpope' is as a marketing strategy holy poo poo

The best part about TORG's name is that it started as an internal company shorthand for "The Other Roleplaying Game" (As opposed to Star Wars d6, their moneymaker) and they just never found a better title.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I prefer the Final Fantasy 8 game, NORG.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Helical Nightmares posted:

Never played Torg. Skimming the wikipedia page it seems to be a multigenere mashup where anything goes.

Sell me on it. Was the attraction the system or the setting?

The setting. The idea is that Earth is invaded by six alternate realities that "overwrite" parts of the world. A large chunk of North America has been replaced by a Lost World-style jungle full of dinosaurs and fanatic lizardpeople where technology flat-out does not work. England and northern Europe have been overwritten by a Generic Fantasy World. Northern Africa has been replaced with a 30's pulp reality run by an insane mad scientist Pharoh and his NaziEgyptian stormtroopers. Indonesia has been invaded by a 300-year-old Victorian world full of Hammer Horror monstrosities. The reality that invaded Japan backs up insane corporate culture with ninjas. And France has been replaced by the "Cyberpapacy", which is a mix of the 16th Century Catholic Church and a high-tech cyberpunk reality.

Ningyou posted:

its sole noteworthy quality was the game name sounding like a pokemon and you would be surprised how effective 'naming your game after a pokemon you just kind of made up who is also an anime cyberpope' is as a marketing strategy holy poo poo
You are completely wrong and I hate you.

Queen Fiona
Jan 8, 2008

Of all evil I deem you capable: therefore I want the good from you. Verily, I have often laughed at the weaklings who thought themselves good because they had no claws.

unseenlibrarian posted:

The best part about TORG's name is that it started as an internal company shorthand for "The Other Roleplaying Game" (As opposed to Star Wars d6, their moneymaker) and they just never found a better title.

Ah, yes, the same logic that gave us 'Thedas', THe Dragon Age Setting. (I will never get over this.)

Evil Mastermind posted:

You are completely wrong and I hate you.

Well, as a title, it tells me literally nothing but that it has a funny name that's fun to say - it doesn't even evoke a proper mood beyond Caveman. Not that other Traditional Game names are great! I mean, Dungeons & Dragons has dragons, but there's no particular focus on medieval prison facilities.

(I'm so sorry.)

Real talk, though, that setting sounds kind of lame and...overextended? That's a lot of different genres mixing together, like some really bad mash-up T-shirt. (Or RIFTS.)

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!

Queen Fiona posted:

Ah, yes, the same logic that gave us 'Thedas', THe Dragon Age Setting. (I will never get over this.)

THAT'S where that name comes from?! Are you kidding me?

Queen Fiona posted:

Well, as a title, it tells me literally nothing but that it has a funny name that's fun to say - it doesn't even evoke a proper mood beyond Caveman. Not that other Traditional Game names are great! I mean, Dungeons & Dragons has dragons, but there's no particular focus on medieval prison facilities.

(I'm so sorry.)

Real talk, though, that setting sounds kind of lame and...overextended? That's a lot of different genres mixing together, like some really bad mash-up T-shirt. (Or RIFTS.)

I have to agree. I read the F&F review of Torg and it just sounded incredibly boring. Maybe if it laser-focused on one of them it'd be interesting, but as it was it sounded like one of those settings where there's no hope for anybody because grimdark, and that's boring as hell.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
The real problem with TORG is that as a useable system it's about on par with Rifts. It also doesn't actually support crazy mashup stuff by letting you bring laser rifles to hunt dinosaurs or be daring pulp heroes in dystopic corporatocracy Japan because it's chock full of rules and restrictions preventing all that, including random chances for your character to just spontaneously explode if you try too hard to cross the streams. It's a missed opportunity coming and going. I don't think it's a coincidence that the only thing most people remember about it is "it's the game with a cyber-Pope" because that's really its most noteworthy feature.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
It doesn't really execute the concept well because the world's don't play with each other. You can't be a cyberninja in nazi pharoah egypt.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

gradenko_2000 posted:

Their general manager, Alexander Macris, (and possibly other writers) is a Gamergater, and they've engaged in disreputable practices such as plugging Macris' D&D retroclone on The Escapist without disclosing the relationship.

This whole situation sucks cause Adventurer Conqueror King System is a really good game and this mess basically makes the game a messy topic to talk about

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Kai Tave posted:

The real problem with TORG is that as a useable system it's about on par with Rifts. It also doesn't actually support crazy mashup stuff by letting you bring laser rifles to hunt dinosaurs or be daring pulp heroes in dystopic corporatocracy Japan because it's chock full of rules and restrictions preventing all that, including random chances for your character to just spontaneously explode if you try too hard to cross the streams. It's a missed opportunity coming and going. I don't think it's a coincidence that the only thing most people remember about it is "it's the game with a cyber-Pope" because that's really its most noteworthy feature.

The attraction of TORG, mechanically, is that as you travel from genre to genre, the rules change to reinforce that genre. That's a great loving win for rules reinforcing the setting. I still have, in the back of my head, the idea of running TORGWORLD using things like:

Core Earth: Spirit of 77
Orrorsh: That one urban horror setting whose name I can't remember
Nippon Tech: The Sprawl
Aysle: Dungeon World
The Cyberpapacy: heavily reskinned Sixth World (the shadowrun hack)
Living Land: Apoc World
Nile Empire: Inverse World or whatever pulp world I can find.

You'd have to make a damage/hp conversion of some sort, but other than that, gently caress it, whatever genre you're currently in, their rules are the default unless you burn possibility energy to impose your own genre.

Gazetteer
Nov 22, 2011

"You're talking to cats."
"And you eat ghosts, so shut the fuck up."

Davin Valkri posted:

THAT'S where that name comes from?! Are you kidding me?
That kind of poo poo is fairly common -- people will throw in something that they intend to be a placeholder and to eventually replace with a better title, but then everyone gets so used to it that it sticks. It's not like "Thedas" or "Torg" are necessarily distracting in of themselves, if you don't know the context. For another videogame example, the main villain from Borderlands 2 was given a Doctor Who joke/reference for a name by the writers until they thought of something better. Then they just never changed it.

Gazetteer fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Jul 11, 2015

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

The TWAIN api for printers is my favorite thing like that.

As for combat in D&D, today I broke it to my irl DM that no, I was not having fun last week when I spent three turns in a row failing to roll higher than a 12 on a d20. The other three players seemed to be having a blast with their turns, though! He seemed genuinely shocked and I feel bad because he lost his excited mood. I really wish these people would play something other than Pathfinder/d20 stuff. Like, I know two people (DM included) own and have played actually fun systems.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Helical Nightmares posted:

Is it just me or are other people finding playing/listening to D&D/d20 combat ... boring and tedious? Every encounter take at least an hour.
:shrug:

Pewdiepie would deffo make a killer RPG podcast.

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Tempora mutantur, et nos mutamur in illis

NinjaDebugger posted:

The attraction of TORG, mechanically, is that as you travel from genre to genre, the rules change to reinforce that genre. That's a great loving win for rules reinforcing the setting. I still have, in the back of my head, the idea of running TORGWORLD using things like:

Core Earth: Spirit of 77
Orrorsh: That one urban horror setting whose name I can't remember
Nippon Tech: The Sprawl
Aysle: Dungeon World
The Cyberpapacy: heavily reskinned Sixth World (the shadowrun hack)
Living Land: Apoc World
Nile Empire: Inverse World or whatever pulp world I can find.

You'd have to make a damage/hp conversion of some sort, but other than that, gently caress it, whatever genre you're currently in, their rules are the default unless you burn possibility energy to impose your own genre.

While this is an interesting idea, I'd have to say that Apoc World wouldn't work for the Living Land.

Also concepts like the Drama deck should be converted over to TORGWORLD. The deck allowed for the players to affect the narrative in ways they normally wouldn't be able to do.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?
What would be a good system to run a Futurama like campaign. A comedic adventure of space trips.

I have also been looking to get into a miniatures game, preferably something skirmish or 10-15mm scale. I played 40k on and off for a couple editions and never really enjoyed the system. Just kept getting sucked into the cheesy lore and painting.

goodness fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Jul 13, 2015

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

goodness posted:

What would be a good system to run a Futurama like campaign. A comedic adventure of space trips.

I have also been looking to get into a miniatures game, preferably something skirmish or 10-15mm scale. I played 40k on and off for a couple editions and never really enjoyed the system. Just kept getting sucked into the cheesy lore and painting.

well how crunchy and/or combat heavy would you want it to be, cause if you don't mind it being somewhat crunchy and combat focused I'd say the most recent version of Gamma World could work pretty well with some minor tinkering, maybe grabbing a skill system from another game though cause the D&D 4th edition rules that Gamma World uses are kinda lacking

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

drrockso20 posted:

well how crunchy and/or combat heavy would you want it to be, cause if you don't mind it being somewhat crunchy and combat focused I'd say the most recent version of Gamma World could work pretty well with some minor tinkering, maybe grabbing a skill system from another game though cause the D&D 4th edition rules that Gamma World uses are kinda lacking

Less crunchy would probably be better for comedy, though combat would definitely be a part of it.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

goodness posted:

Less crunchy would probably be better for comedy, though combat would definitely be a part of it.

well luckily outside of combat(and somewhat character creation) Gamma World isn't that complicated, and the crunch isn't that bad, especially since Gamma World simplifies D&D 4E quite a bit, just gotta keep in mind that it has a somewhat high lethality built into it

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

I'm not one of those guys who suggests Fate for everything, but if you're looking to capture the more sitcom side of Futurama it might work well.

drrockso20 posted:

well luckily outside of combat(and somewhat character creation) Gamma World isn't that complicated, and the crunch isn't that bad, especially since Gamma World simplifies D&D 4E quite a bit, just gotta keep in mind that it has a somewhat high lethality built into it

High lethality is probably a good thing for Futurama, especially if you're playing as one of Professor Farnsworth's old crews, or something modeled on that idea.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
if you want something with grid combat that isn't actually that crunchy (ie no barrage of +1 buffs flying everywhere, no separate rolls for damage and attacks, streamlined defenses) Strike is a really strong option for something lighthearted and corny like that.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

goodness posted:

Lasers and Feelings.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

I'll check those systems out as I get more recommendations.

If anyone wants to DM this futurama game I'm looking as a player.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

goodness posted:

...in SPAAACE! is Greg Stolze writing a Futurama RPG without the license.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Nothing says "tabletop roleplaying" like watching your players cut through a mystery designed to last for several sessions in the course of three hours through blind luck, recklessness, insanely good persuasion and intimidation rolls, and sheer, bloody persistence.

oriongates
Mar 14, 2013

Validate Me!

Or quickly render said mystery completely unsolvable by utterly burning all necessary bridges and taking off for a different city.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

They almost did that! They also almost made themselves enemies of the state in the city-state they just saved from a dragon, though they might still accomplish that.

I will say that I was impressed to see them arguing their motivations in-character (this particular mystery's solution led to several characters' political sympathies conflicting with each other and with their duties) and taking into account consequences before leaping to violence. That's new for them. They even sympathized with some orcs, which is remarkable because they went into the session thinking "let's chop up some orcs!"

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

Ratpick posted:

The way I'm picturing this is the Warblade taking a firm stance, inhaling deeply until the cloud of poison gas is all inside his lungs and then letting out a mighty belch to disperse the cloud.

I'm perfectly okay with this.

Okay, yeah,.t hat should DEFINITELY be allowed.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Oh man, I forgot that we change chat thread each month and was wondering why nobody was posting anything
Hello chat thread, how are you doing

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

A friend lent me his copy of the Extraordinary Adventures of Baron Munchausen and this may be the best TRPG book I've ever read.

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

When they passed out body parts in the comics today, I got Cathy's nose and Dick Tracy's private parts.
I'm working on a sci-fi DW hack that I hope will lie somewhere in crunch between Lasers and Feelings and Stars Without Number.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

In the stickied Older D&D thread, Jennell Jaquays came up and it reminded me of how much I loved her (probably hilariously over-crunchy for me at this point) Central Casting series of books. Hundreds and hundreds of tables to randomly create backstories for RPG characters hit just the right spot for me back in high school. Have there been any more recent takes on the same idea?

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

can y'all tell me a good Trail of Cthulhu one shot?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

So apparently Wizards of the Coast bans sex offenders from the DCI. Even if it happened ten years ago. And the guy did time. Unless I'm reading biased articles that seems a little overkill.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Len posted:

So apparently Wizards of the Coast bans sex offenders from the DCI. Even if it happened ten years ago. And the guy did time. Unless I'm reading biased articles that seems a little overkill.

That guy got a sweet plea deal so his victim wouldn't have to recount the details at a trial and is completely unrepentant to this day. You're reading biased articles.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Potsticker posted:

That guy got a sweet plea deal so his victim wouldn't have to recount the details at a trial and is completely unrepentant to this day. You're reading biased articles.

But how does that relate to a card game?

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Len posted:

But how does that relate to a card game?

I dunno, because they don't want a rapist to be publicly associated with their card game?

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Len posted:

Aatrek was convicted and did time on the same period so hell, let's get him back to mod TVIV.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Lightning Lord posted:

I dunno, because they don't want a rapist to be publicly associated with their card game?

They're cool with a guy who did time for drugs though?

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

alg posted:

can y'all tell me a good Trail of Cthulhu one shot?

I like all of the adventures in Arkham Detective Tales, particularly The Kidnapping.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Len posted:

They're cool with a guy who did time for drugs though?

This isn't loving reddit, you're not going to find much sympathy for this idiotic point of view here, friendo.

• Locked thread