Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Firgof
Dec 27, 2009

The Librarian is pure.
Former Star Ruler 2 Dev.
Yes, presently the only way to control time outside of the galaxy menu is to use keyboard shortcuts.
There is also an option in game settings which auto-pauses the game while you're off the galaxy tab [Automatically pause while viewing other tabs].

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

tonberrytoby posted:

Bought this on the steam sale, but I have only played the tutorial for now.

The most annoying thing for is that I can't find a way to control the game speed while I am in a menu. Especially annoying in the diplomatic and research menus.
Did I miss a button, or do I have to look up some keyboard shortcuts?

There is an option (I thought it was enabled by default) to pause the game when you're not on the system/map view. Other than that you can map a key to pause/unpause and I believe there are key mappings for speed up and slow down.

e: Doh, didn't see the reply obviously.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
I like autipausing for everything but diplomacy.

Loveline
Dec 30, 2005

Any good YouTube tutorials because I'm hella bad at this.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
No idea how good it is, but i found this and have been meaning to watch along while playing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R48hV3CJ7HI

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
I bought this at the steam sale and played for almost 30 hours over the weekend. But I spent the whole time being annoyed at some distracting problems.

All the FTL methods are terrible in a amazingly well balanced way. Genius idea. Except for slipstream, which should be the best by far if you are ready to put in some ridiculous amount of micromanaging to get your fleets to use a hub efficiently. If ships would path through warps once you give the open warp command, instead of a bit later it would be the best.

The mechanoids also seem only balanced by imposing annoying micromanagement on the player. If there was a side tab for the planets with excess population, and if the transfer of population could be ordered from the planets overview the would be OP.

Star children also seem to be partially balanced by the interface. If colonizing actually selected the closest mothership, if there was an option to make motherships use ftl when colonizing and if there was an option to force a mothership to stay in orbit around your labor planet the would also be OP.

The ship designer really needs a symmetry mode. And a way to quickly replace a system with another system. A way to fill in an enclosed area with a subsystem. Or at least an option to stop me from overwriting other subsystem while I try to draw a subsystem.
And it also need conformation prompts on buttons that clear your whole design. :argh:

Also, while it seems to be fairly easy to end up with that "blockaded" status, actually blockading anything seems ridiculously hard.
Blocking a colonization attempt or a ship flying through your system is extremely hard. To the extend that in my last game I used the default tractor ship to yoink away artifacts from enemy and remnant systems without anything being able to stop me.

Thunder Moose
Mar 7, 2015

S.J.C.
As Mechanoids I am encountering an issue when colonizing food/water planets. No I don't need the resources but I do want to claim them for income and any energy, research, defense, etc buff the planet may have.

The problem is upon getting colonized and presented with the "+2 population" to level up message, sending 2 batches of people over does nothing.

Bug or intentional?

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

Thunder Moose posted:

As Mechanoids I am encountering an issue when colonizing food/water planets. No I don't need the resources but I do want to claim them for income and any energy, research, defense, etc buff the planet may have.

The problem is upon getting colonized and presented with the "+2 population" to level up message, sending 2 batches of people over does nothing.

Bug or intentional?

It aeems intentional to me. Terraform the planet into into a level 1 resource then send over more population. Works a lot better.

Thunder Moose
Mar 7, 2015

S.J.C.

Deadmeat5150 posted:

It aeems intentional to me. Terraform the planet into into a level 1 resource then send over more population. Works a lot better.

Good call.

Thunder Moose
Mar 7, 2015

S.J.C.
So after experimenting with all of the FTL techs I am curious what others think of the following: to me, hyperdrive seems to be the best FTL tech

Not encumbered by a central structure that, if blown up - sort of screws your moves for a few minutes at least, and can be bonused with nimble.

The others seem neat but rather novel.

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
Slipstream has its uses and can be kinda gimmicky. But being able to open an instant gate to any system can open a backdoor on your opponents that they will struggle to block. They also can last a fairly long time if built right and you only need one ship for it in a fleet unlike hyperspace subsystems which need one on every capital ship.

Fling beacons are special. You need a dedicated structure and you have a one way fling. Fling beacons are typically faster then hyperdrives and can be useful if you need to get somewhere fast. But if you have enough ftl crystals anything not tied down ie a star can be flung. Ships, planets, spacestations, anything. Fling a station with enough armor and weapons and you can create a very hard to breakdown beachhead against an opponent. Or just use it to fling a whole fleet into their unprotected core systems and rain hell on them. If you can think of it, it can probably be flung.

Gates are pretty self explanatory. Just need enough ftl to keep a network up.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
Gates are by far my favorite. I had a stealth gate that I slipped behind my buddy's frontline once. As soon as it opened, right outside his homeworld, my massive fleets poured through.

BlondRobin
May 29, 2005

Sssh! Be vewy vewy quiet. It's wabbit season.
I actually really love Fling Beacons- they have a plenty wide range, but their biggest advantages aren't ones anyone's mentioned.

1: No ship component.
2: No cost for range.

1 is really nice, if only from a convenience perspective, but 2 changes empire management massively. You don't need easily accessed manufactory sectors for repairs and resupply- build one super awesome planet, and you can have all your ships rally there between operations. You can do that with Hyperspace, but it'll cost a LOT of FTL to mobilize your fleet from there in case something unexpected happens. You can do it with Gates, but Fling Beacons have much better offensive possibilities than Hyperspace- you can fling your fleet from resupply to the front lines instantly, even if it's way outside your gate range.

Fling beacons are great and all the real races that are not sentient plants with them, so basically Religion Birds, are amazing.

ThisIsNoZaku
Apr 22, 2013

Pew Pew Pew!
Is there a research queue? Seems like big thing to miss.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

I think slipstream is the best. If you put in the micromanagement you can teleport from everywhere to everywhere with only two slipstream ships at a hub. But it is annoying to use.

I prefer to play with gates. They need the least attention, and the gates can double as a defense platform.

ThisIsNoZaku posted:

Is there a research queue? Seems like big thing to miss.
There is one. But you can't queue to something, you need to start queuing at the start.

ThisIsNoZaku
Apr 22, 2013

Pew Pew Pew!

tonberrytoby posted:

I think slipstream is the best. If you put in the micromanagement you can teleport from everywhere to everywhere with only two slipstream ships at a hub. But it is annoying to use.

I prefer to play with gates. They need the least attention, and the gates can double as a defense platform.

There is one. But you can't queue to something, you need to start queuing at the start.

Yeah, but how do I easily find the techs I've already queued?

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

ThisIsNoZaku posted:

Yeah, but how do I easily find the techs I've already queued?
I haven't found a way.

Thunder Moose
Mar 7, 2015

S.J.C.
I should caveat that I pretty exclusively play as mechanoid and since we have FTL breeder buildings FTL energy is rarely an issue for me mid to late game so I really dig hyperdrive. But I can see fling beacons have uses not yet thought of by myself so I'll give them a try later.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Thunder Moose posted:

I should caveat that I pretty exclusively play as mechanoid and since we have FTL breeder buildings FTL energy is rarely an issue for me mid to late game so I really dig hyperdrive. But I can see fling beacons have uses not yet thought of by myself so I'll give them a try later.

You can fling planets and stations. It's amazing.

KlavoHunter
Aug 4, 2006
"Intelligence indicates that our enemy is using giant cathedral ships. Research divison reports that we can adapt this technology for our use. Begin researching giant cathedral ships immediately."
Fling Beacons are legit.

I just can't stand the 200k upkeep they impose on your empire, it really cuts down on the number of Beacons you can build.

Every FTL option is legit, even choosing no FTL at all. You can afford most of those cool nation customization options if you ditch FTL. Then you need to design your ships with lots of engines to keep up at strategic speed, and to have extreme tactical maneuverability also.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
I want to try a NO FTL race. Just to do it.

Thunder Moose
Mar 7, 2015

S.J.C.
The "no FTL" tech is appealing to me - I think I will try that next.

Hidden Asbestos
Nov 24, 2003
[placeholder]
Sorry to bump an old thread but I was wondering if there were still plans for an expansion for this game, and what it might contain?

Atlanton
Mar 23, 2013
I just picked this up on a whim and after screwing around in tutorial, I wish I got it sooner!

Sword of the Stars has always been my personal favorite 4x game and the FTL drive and faction design really seems to scratch the same itch.

How is the MP in this? Is it about who can build the most units with the most research or is there more tactical/strategic depth?

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
There's a lot of depth in it once you figure out the various FTL methods and how best to counter them. There are counters for everything. Swarming little ships? Torpedoes. Big ships with thick armor? Rocket pods and rail guns.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Works out as a fun game to play just as the post modern USA. No FTL and whatever you think fits.

Space Murica, gently caress yeah.

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012
So um...the tech that gives your railgun the ability to push enemy ships around. I think this tech is way too effective. After I researched this tech ship combat just become broken. My ship will start to fire on the enemy formation, then the entire enemy fleet would get push away so fast (faster than the railgun bullets, actually) we can't fight at all. Kind of amusing at first but might need to be tweaked.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D9p8u9pTUuo
Not featured, this group's size 800 capital ship that just get blown out of the star system by the opening salvo.

pedro0930 fucked around with this message at 10:03 on Sep 12, 2015

Firgof
Dec 27, 2009

The Librarian is pure.
Former Star Ruler 2 Dev.
A sneak peak at the upcoming expansion: http://steamcommunity.com/app/282590/discussions/1/517142253864833842/

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

More content is what I've been wanting for the game so that gets my buy, though you already had it really given how much I enjoyed SR1.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

I've been waiting for fighters and bombers and the silence from your guys has been killing me.

Firgof
Dec 27, 2009

The Librarian is pure.
Former Star Ruler 2 Dev.
Sorry, things have been bumpy lately. Lots of problems for me and Reaper popped up in June/July and in my case I'm only just now starting to fully recover.

Firgof fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Sep 22, 2015

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
Hope you guys are doing alright.

quote:

Won't this fracture the multiplayer community?
Fear not! The expansion will be enabled or disabled for all players in a multiplayer game depending only on if the lobby host has it or not. So even people who haven't purchased the expansion will be able to try out the new features by joining a multiplayer game that has it!

Oh, I love it when dev's do this kind of thing. :allears: You get yourself a purchase on day one for poo poo like this alone.

Firgof
Dec 27, 2009

The Librarian is pure.
Former Star Ruler 2 Dev.
Thanks, Thyrork. We hope you enjoy it.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
I'm looking forward to it dude.

You should pass it to some youtubers too. I didn't see Scott Manly playing it, and he's a goon!

Hidden Asbestos
Nov 24, 2003
[placeholder]
I bought a copy of this again on GOG.com after getting the early access on Steam, hope the expansion comes to all platforms!

Deadmeat5150 posted:

You should pass it to some youtubers too. I didn't see Scott Manly playing it, and he's a goon!

They tried really hard already and got some good videos from all sorts of youtubers, including:

Scott Manly: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pChmQz6FpR0

and quill18 too: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a49-b3DEKDE

Hidden Asbestos fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Sep 23, 2015

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

Drones/fighters are exciting! Looking forward to it.

I felt like SR2 came out during a period where there was such a glut of similar games and it just didn't get the traction it deserved. It's sad to hear things didn't pick up but I hope the expansion helps.

JonBolds
Feb 6, 2015

I'll play the poo poo outta this. Sad to hear you're still going inactive, Firgof. SR is a cool game with good ideas in it.

Firgof
Dec 27, 2009

The Librarian is pure.
Former Star Ruler 2 Dev.

JonBolds posted:

I'll play the poo poo outta this. Sad to hear you're still going inactive, Firgof. SR is a cool game with good ideas in it.

We did give it our best shot at least.

Deadmeat5150 posted:

I'm looking forward to it dude.

Actually, Scott did play it. He was embarrassed because he wasn't able to play it very well but I did my best to help him achieve galactic domination and have fun while doing so.

Malcolm
May 11, 2008
Two great games, many hours of enjoyment. Had a lot of fun playing SR2 with my friends, the multiplayer was pretty good and they could hop in without too much practice. Looking forward to the expansion and hoping you guys get some sales.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I took this up again for a bit and the expanded rebalance mod is pretty cool. Some neat systems in the latest version, I especially quite like their take on sensors, would love to see something like that included in the expansion (as well as proper sensor range indicators which currently the mod doesn't have, may not be supported in-engine?)

• Locked thread