Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Tindahbawx posted:

Well ... you know you're bad at personal combat when you lose a swordfight to a blind eunuch:

My character was really good too :(

The blind guy isn't a lawyer, is he?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Aschlafly posted:

Hell, it'd be a nice casus belli, too.

One of my favourite CKII moments was when I (the chief of Estonia) got a notification that my neighbors to the south had sieged my capital and the chief took my wife as his concubine; I then proceeded to wreck his loving poo poo.

But yeah, to put my two cents in, rape is already represented in CKII to the extent that it ought to be. The only reasonable expansion I can imagine would be if Christian rulers could force-marry anyone in their prison, like they already can with anyone in their court. And diplomatically, it should be an unsalvageable opinion malus with the abducted's family, and probably a CB to boot.

Party In My Diapee
Jan 24, 2014
Instead of that i want a suitor mechanic where you designate the noblewoman you want to betroth and compete with other noble families for her hand complete with events and intrigue. Would stop the aimless, turn 16 = immediately get married, too.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
The AI should definitely be a lot more aggressive about arranging betrothals--in that period many children of notable noble houses were betrothed literally from the cradle, or not very long after. (Actually marriages were often completed when the people involved were 12 or 13 or even younger, but that's not represented in the game for obvious and understandable reasons.)

I'm not sure if that's unworkable for resource reasons, though.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I am continually amazed at the unrealistic ahistorical poo poo people mod into their games under the guise of 'historical realism and accuracy.' Not just CK2, all games.

Just admit you want to wank to some rape fantasy my god. AFAIK noble prisoners were treated really well aside from the very occasional hot poker murder.

Saith
Oct 10, 2010

Asahina...
Regular Penguins look just the same!

Moridin920 posted:

I am continually amazed at the unrealistic ahistorical poo poo people mod into their games under the guise of 'historical realism and accuracy.' Not just CK2, all games.

Just admit you want to wank to some rape fantasy my god. AFAIK noble prisoners were treated really well aside from the very occasional hot poker murder.

Yeah, I mean in British history for example, the only king to actually murder a prisoner himself is still considered one of the worst monarchs we've ever had, partly for that reason.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Eric the Mauve posted:

The AI should definitely be a lot more aggressive about arranging betrothals--in that period many children of notable noble houses were betrothed literally from the cradle, or not very long after. (Actually marriages were often completed when the people involved were 12 or 13 or even younger, but that's not represented in the game for obvious and understandable reasons.)

I think it may be unworkable for gameplay reasons. If the AI is too aggressive about snapping up choice proposals then it's going to be very difficult for a player to compete. Similar problem to Advisers in EU3 before they implemented that whole culture/buying advisers on demand thing.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Incidentally some rear end in a top hat with the Intrigue focus evidently got my liege's daughter to accuse me of rape and get me thrown in prison :mad:

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Back To 99 posted:

Instead of that i want a suitor mechanic where you designate the noblewoman you want to betroth and compete with other noble families for her hand complete with events and intrigue. Would stop the aimless, turn 16 = immediately get married, too.

It would certainly make playing as a kid more interesting.

I think it would just be neat in general to have more "story arc" event chains. The ones already in the game (pilgrimmage, hunting dog, necronomicon, Joan of Arc, satan spawn, etc.) are all great, and it would add a lot of flavour to have more, especially if they branch depending on multiple characters' decisions. So something like two suitors competing for a woman would be a cool event chain; maybe it could trigger if a girl is betrothed but has a different boy as a lover? Do kids even get lovers? If not, hell, the first event in the "suitor" chain could give her one.

LolitaSama
Dec 27, 2011
Has anyone here tried out the lord of the rings mod here : http://www.moddb.com/mods/ck2-middle-earth-project

How different is it from the regular game? Can you play like one or two hobbits, or an 8 man fellowship?

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

DStecks posted:

It would certainly make playing as a kid more interesting.

I think it would just be neat in general to have more "story arc" event chains. The ones already in the game (pilgrimmage, hunting dog, necronomicon, Joan of Arc, satan spawn, etc.) are all great, and it would add a lot of flavour to have more, especially if they branch depending on multiple characters' decisions. So something like two suitors competing for a woman would be a cool event chain; maybe it could trigger if a girl is betrothed but has a different boy as a lover? Do kids even get lovers? If not, hell, the first event in the "suitor" chain could give her one.

Speaking of which, what are the "big" random event chains? I had the Satan spawn, Joan of Arc and Robin Hood ones (in many different playthroughs of course) and I'm wondering if there's more hidden behind a MTTH wall.

Saith
Oct 10, 2010

Asahina...
Regular Penguins look just the same!

TorakFade posted:

Speaking of which, what are the "big" random event chains? I had the Satan spawn, Joan of Arc and Robin Hood ones (in many different playthroughs of course) and I'm wondering if there's more hidden behind a MTTH wall.

Godslayer. :black101:

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

TorakFade posted:

There's a couple of fun Byzantine ones involving chariot racing and pirates if you have Legacy of Rome.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
e: wow beaten with the exact same post

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Jul 10, 2015

Hadaka Apron
Feb 12, 2015
The Republic has a Romeo and Juliet event chain. Although in mine, the woman was 29 and the guy was 15.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

The blind guy isn't a lawyer, is he?

Daredevil is pretty obviously not a eunuch.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

LolitaSama posted:

Has anyone here tried out the lord of the rings mod here : http://www.moddb.com/mods/ck2-middle-earth-project

How different is it from the regular game? Can you play like one or two hobbits, or an 8 man fellowship?

The 'questline' is controlled by events-it's perfectly possible to derail things, either as an appropriate character(Aragorn suddenly decides to take it himself, for instance) or an outsider paying for a hunt for the Ring and claiming it. Of course, if Sauron gets it, everyone's hosed, and everyone will try to band together as best they can to deal with it.

Many places are 'wilderness' and need reclaiming via a colonisation chain. Pay money, get events, hope you get lucky.

Many races are playable, but not everything's entirely working for everyone. Note that races can have absolutely massive combat effectiveness, but are also hamstrung by various modifiers. Orcs have terrible morale, for instance, or Dwarves and Elves and Trolls are insanely powerful but have awful troop recovery.

There's lots of interesting things that are possible.

I will note that it's been about a year since I've been able to play it, since it lost compatibility with 'Way of Life'.

Bloodly fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Jul 10, 2015

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
I can't barely play it, it tends to crash pretty quickly. The aesthetic seems excellent, though. Can't say much about the gameplay.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

Groogy posted:

It will in a patch or two.... maybe

Does executing a character who is imprisoned set their dynasty as rivals (and thus valid duel targets) to the executor? And does the AI actually execute people that often (I tend to not get captured, or let my people get caught)? If no on either account, I feel like it kind of should, at least in the early game. I know it gives a negative modifier, I just don't know if it sets them as rivals.

The entire system of noble ransoming was kind of set up as a way of not only financing your realm at war, which it was effective at, but also for avoiding pissing off the swathes of kin and kith that a noble would have. Avoiding blood feuds between dynasties and their kith, basically, because that usually resulted in a whole lot of pointless death and poor warring. I find I never have enough duel targets, so I never really pick the war focus because the health bonus of hunting is so much better than the 1 or 2 duels I might get to take part in over one characters life. If you set it up so that executing a person sets all of their direct dynasty and friends as rivals to your own, I reckon you could get some veeery interesting results. It would definitely drive me to pick it more often.

Another Person fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Jul 10, 2015

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Legit question, was Crusader Kings named after a Scrooge McDuck comic?

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Saith posted:

Yeah, I mean in British history for example, the only king to actually murder a prisoner himself is still considered one of the worst monarchs we've ever had, partly for that reason.

Henry IV?

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
in one generation's worth of marriage I managed to get my worthless Celtic family onto the thrones of Western, Middle and East Francia, Lombardy and the Byzantine Empire.

ck2 yall

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
It's not even necessary to mod in rape. There were the arranged marriages, with the husband/husband's father paying a bride price to the bride's father. The bride had no right to refuse to marry or refuse to have sex with her husband. That would make the medieval period a rape-a-thon by most current (Western) moral standards.

Mr.Morgenstern
Sep 14, 2012

Let's stop the discussion on the rape mod. It appears to have been taken off the Steam Workshop and the Paradox forums, so someone clearly got word of this and shut it down.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Eric the Mauve posted:

Good news for horrible people: You can set the marriage age in defines.lua. :pedo:

Mr.Morgenstern
Sep 14, 2012

New Achievements for Horse Lords:

Steppe by Steppe
As a steppe horde, conquer the whole steppe region.

"Never start a Land War in Asia"
Start in Western Europe and completely conquer the region of Mongolia.

Norse-East
As a Norse character, become King of Mongolia.

Pax Mongolica
Build 3 fully upgraded silk road trade posts.

Sword to Ploughshare
Settle a steppe mercenary with more than 20 martial in your lands.

Let's go out into the Field
Defeat a sibling in a war using the rival casus belli.

Nobody's Business but the Turks
Conquer Constantinople as a Turkic steppe horde.

One Arrow Alone can be Easily Broken but Many Arrows are Indestructible
As a steppe horde, have a population of 150 000.

Go West Young Mongol
As a steppe horde, have an independent tributary King or Emperor in the British Isles

Who Needs Vasco da Gama?
Own all the silk route ports in india as a European merchant republic.

Run With the Wolf
Play as a character with Wolf's Blood.

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

I say, hey, listen to me!
Stay sane inside insanity!!!
Ooh, they're finally making note of the Steppes bizarre obsession with being descended from wolves, which somehow managed to be a common theme of pretty much every major Turkic-Mongolian dynasties mythology since there were people to make note of such things.

e: I imagine it will be limited to either a half dozen or so dynasties, or be something you get when you are sufficiently powerful and notable.

GSD
May 10, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
:black101: MONGOL WEREWOLVES :black101:

Bel Monte
Oct 9, 2012
What's with the whole werewolf thing lately? Is there something I don't know about from steppe nomad cultures/Mongols? Wouldn't surprise me since I know nothing about them. Plus, wouldn't that be a sort of Norse thing Myth-wise?

Mr.Morgenstern
Sep 14, 2012

A lot of steppe cultures have a wolf as their mythological ancestor, and various enemies of the hordes have described them as looking more like monsters than humans.

edit: See this https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turkic_mythology#The_Grey_Wolf_legend

Mr.Morgenstern fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Jul 11, 2015

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR

Bel Monte posted:

What's with the whole werewolf thing lately? Is there something I don't know about from steppe nomad cultures/Mongols? Wouldn't surprise me since I know nothing about them. Plus, wouldn't that be a sort of Norse thing Myth-wise?

We did a reference to it in the latest dev diary

quote:

Oh! And I might actually have heard legends about certain altaic families behaving in odd ways lately… with hideous faces and beast-like behavior.

And no I won't tell you the details except that it awesome. If you wanna know more you gonna need to wait until the 14th.

Groogy fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Jul 11, 2015

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Werewolves? There goes realism. The level of betrayal I felt when Paradox announced their new DLC tore something from me that I'll never be able to recover. They tore away my ability to respect anything, and they tore away my ability to feel human.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

This is the Steppe Wolf we've always dreamed of

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Hope the Rival CB can be modded into pagan cultures.

Take my wife I loving dare you because now I WILL take your lands

Keeper Garrett
May 4, 2006

Running messages and picking pockets since 1998.

Strudel Man posted:

-1 duration is used in code for non-expiring effects.

You can't manually move it. Coded capital changes can work - I rejiggered the Move Capital to Rome decision for the roman empire to allow a roman republic to take over a city there - but since Paris isn't coastal, I don't know if it would work.

So yeah if I click on it... it might game over me?

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Keeper Garrett posted:

More likely than not, I'd say.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Keeper Garrett posted:

Yes. I'm 100% certain that you will become a non-merchant republic upon changing capital to Paris, which means an instant game over.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

Schizotek posted:

Ooh, they're finally making note of the Steppes bizarre obsession with being descended from wolves, which somehow managed to be a common theme of pretty much every major Turkic-Mongolian dynasties mythology since there were people to make note of such things.

Haha, those crazy Mongols! No civilized people would make 'raised by wolves' a key part of their founding myth! :agesilaus:

Keeper Garrett
May 4, 2006

Running messages and picking pockets since 1998.
Yep! I tried it because I was already getting a little tired of that particular game. Sure enough after 2 days or so, game over.

However I force closed CK2 and reloaded it, not only could I play, but it hadn't saved since I'd lost my 25 year old dynamo Prince Mayor to Pneumonia. Here's hoping he gets to the lemon tea this time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeductiveReasoning
Nov 2, 2005

382 BC - 301 BC
Just a heads up: it looks like Arumba (and others, I presume) have their review copies and have begun streaming Horse Lords. Check it if you want to see it in action.

• Locked thread