Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jarogue
Nov 3, 2012

I want to keep using the Ink Brush since I get min of 800-1000p, even when losing, but dear lord does my finger hurts after about 4 matches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Jarogue posted:

Real dumb since he is going to have to make a new channel or wait for Splatoon NX when he runs out of material.

whoa, stay fresh

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Bread Set Jettison posted:

Its pretty difficult. You have to be a highly controlled spaz. Always pressing some sort of button all the time. Super fun when you get the hang of it.

I listened to this thread's advice, watched one tutorial, tried it again in test mode and I came in 1st or 2nd points wise every game thereafter. :cool:

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

I listened to this thread's advice, watched one tutorial, tried it again in test mode and I came in 1st or 2nd points wise every game thereafter. :cool:

Welcome brush brother. You are now the Raiden of splatoon.

TURN OFF THE INK INHIBITORS

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

I like the sneaky nature of the brush but dont feel like I'll ever get the hang of splatting / not be splatter of it to really work it well

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

The ink brush isn't that much sneakier than other weapon. It's just really mobile.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

LethalGeek posted:

I like the sneaky nature of the brush but dont feel like I'll ever get the hang of splatting / not be splatter of it to really work it well

I'm bad at laying the brush down and escaping, but then again I'm going whole matches without dying and coming in first. Also laying down sprinklers is AMAZING, I throw down one while pathing to the middle during the initial rush just get to some side coverage and by the time I hit mid I can throw another one and they're just so great at slowing down the enemy or making ink traps at drops.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

I started using the Squelcher with beakons in tower control, and man those things are useful. Even if people don't jump on them they're a good barrier to hide behind on the tower. Best moment would have to be when I dropped one in the tower's path but not on it, and timed my jump so I landed on the tower as it passed by.

That said, between the tower's chime, the beakon's beep, a sprinkler and various shots flying, things get rather noisy.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

The ink brush isn't that much sneakier than other weapon. It's just really mobile.

You really have to get right up on someone and it's not an 1 hit KO like the rollers, you can't really afford to gently caress up your surprise

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Oh I get what you mean. Yeah you have to be sneaky to get kills, not that it gives you sneakiness. Sorry I misunderstood what you meant.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Inkbrush is very stage and mode dependent, too. Generally, you want open spaces to lurk in and accessible perches to leap down on people from. Blackbelly and Kelp Dome are the best brush maps for Turf War and Splat Zones, in my opinion.

If the mode is Tower Control, most maps will give you a rough time unless there's fighting space adjacent to the track (you don't want to be riding the tower unless there's no one else to do it). I think Kelp Dome is the only Tower Control map that's really favourable for brushes.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
Problem I have with brush is it's only good if you're sneaky and all guns are already good when you're sneaky. It helps you move faster through enemy ink/unclaimed areas, but not way much faster that I feel like it's worth it.

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003
i don't know all the etiquette for this game, but holy moly gently caress you if you use a sniper rifle in ranked and you don't know how to use it. i was just on a tower control team with 3 splatterscopes and it went hilariously poorly

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

I tried out the ink brush some more this evening, and I've been doing pretty all right with it! I had a lobby full of newbies that I was leading to victory over and over... then two of my crew dropped and that kind of put the kibosh on that. Oh well. Not sure if I'll keep using it when the new map drops or go back to my trusty Krak-On roller.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Welcome brush brother. You are now the Raiden of splatoon.

TURN OFF THE INK-HIBITORS

Come on, it writes itself. It's like you're not even trying.

:colbert:

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Barnyard Protein posted:

i don't know all the etiquette for this game, but holy moly gently caress you if you use a sniper rifle in ranked and you don't know how to use it. i was just on a tower control team with 3 splatterscopes and it went hilariously poorly
I feel like at that point you just wouldn't have enough people out in the field. Usually one splatterscope is enough.

The same could probably be said of rollers, but so many people use rollers in ranked, I don't know if team roller vs team roller even matters.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

I like chargers, I'd play chargers more often, but more than one charger runs into issues and if I run a charger then it only takes one other guy to ruin our day. Nobody ever said "we need fewer aerosprays" outside of Tower.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

this stage is loving enormous

pulp rag
Feb 25, 2013

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor

Onean posted:

Come on, it writes itself. It's like you're not even trying.

:colbert:

SQUIDS ARE CRUEL, JACK.

Jarogue
Nov 3, 2012

Moray Towers is great. Remember to paint wall to go up the tower faster and surprise the Bad Guys.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Morray Towers is loving stellar. I love the race down the towers in the beginning, and the leaping off the sides later.

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

Oh my god

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Splatoon really is GOTY.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Moray Towers is making me actively loving hate the japanese.

Goddamn ultra lagging snipers is ruining this entire stage for me holy poo poo. I can sneak up on a sniper aiming the other way into the distance, hit them 5 times with the .96 gal then just randomly explode while they're perfectly fine and still looking the other way. I've had them literally jumping into my bullets and the sound doesn't even play. This is garbage.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

You'd think Moray Towers would be such an extreme stage design that it'd favour specific weapon types, but it seems like anything can shine there. A good map. Thumbs up.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Marie is wise and perfect.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
Watch that small alleyway from thte center that leads up to the Splat Zone point. Very effective way to launch a sneak attack on enemies.

All the teams I've been on have been real chickenshit and don't want to push past their zone, which is making all these matches major grinders.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

callie is a liar and rollers are not good on moray towers until I see proof otherwise

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

I have played moray tower once and blue fin harbor 8 times. :shepicide: good thing they are both good levels but one is new :(

E: 9 times

E2: 10 times

Bread Set Jettison fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Jul 11, 2015

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Kaubocks posted:

callie is a liar and rollers are not good on moray towers until I see proof otherwise

Just won a Splat Zones with three rollers

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Kaubocks posted:

I went 9-1 with the carbon roller on moray tower. Then again I play like a bastard ninja from hell ambushing the gently caress out of people.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

So in that map with the one control zone that has a grate overhead, I'm shocked how long my sprinklers last up there, you'd think people would shoot them.

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

dragon enthusiast posted:

Watch that small alleyway from thte center that leads up to the Splat Zone point. Very effective way to launch a sneak attack on enemies.

All the teams I've been on have been real chickenshit and don't want to push past their zone, which is making all these matches major grinders.

As someone who loves short range weapons this map seems like hell to me. im trying it on turfwar and i feel like i need to either need to use a long range weapon or invincibility super because walking into the center of the map is scuicide for me. I could try spamming the dynamo roller from a ledge but i feel like id get murdered by a sniper in a second if i tried that.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

The best sniper perches are all pretty attackable via the walls that lead up to them, so snipers are strong but not too scary.

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.

Tengames posted:

As someone who loves short range weapons this map seems like hell to me. im trying it on turfwar and i feel like i need to either need to use a long range weapon or invincibility super because walking into the center of the map is scuicide for me. I could try spamming the dynamo roller from a ledge but i feel like id get murdered by a sniper in a second if i tried that.

I'm using the Krak-on and Splooshomatic and the best thing to do is be sneaky. Take it a bit slower if you don't have your special too.

Beakons are great because it takes forever to fall down, so they're faster then swimming even in fairly safe places. I've taken to putting two in the same spot so people will feel less bad abiut using them.

The Kraken special, while nerfed, can be used to quickly climb walls without inking them which is another useful thing for short range to make climbing occasionally less frustrating.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Just wait for the Callie vs Marie splatfest.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

bobjr posted:

Just wait for the Callie vs Marie splatfest.

I really do want this. I want it to be a global splatfest.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Even after humans are long-dead and gone, Pokemon will still never die :allears:.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Tengames posted:

All the games I've lost there so far have been due to the fact that players refuse to push past the safety of their own zone. You have to cut off their points of access otherwise the ink advantage is too great to come back from.

That being said a single charger can be good enough to shut down an entire lane. Towers really is their map to shine in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

That reminds me, I've been meaning to rank the maps by their Charger appeal in Turf War.

Arowana Mall: Those overlook lanes really allow chargers to lock down the center, and harass anyone who breaks through to their side.

Saltspray Rig: Lots of places to perch. You can control the bottom rectangle all by yourself, or make it to the top square and paint from the shipping crates.

Bluefin Depot: Lots of the center control areas can be painted from up high, and you can target enemies across the divide.

Blackbelly Skatepark: The right side of this map is great for chargers. A giant single open lane, a sniping perch, and a lane on the enemy side you can lock down and use to plow right into their side of the map.

Kelp Dome: Another map where the right side has a lot of benefits. You can access a lot of territory from the right stairwell. Don't forget to shoot fools trapped on the grates.

Port Mackerel: I know a lot of people think this map is charger paradise, but those lanes you've got to move through actually benefit close combat weapons.

Urchin Underpass: Your main sniper spot has limited visibility. If you want to paint, you're going to be spending a lot of time on the ground in the center, were you're very vulnerable.

Walleye Warehouse: The center is where the battle is, and has so much blocking sightlines that you're going to have to be a cool person and just spend your time messing around in the enemy map.

• Locked thread