Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
They're not that heavy - pretty sure that will end up a little lighter than a RWD 3 series

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

I can't wait until the chicken tax gets repealed and manufacturers bring over trucks like the Hilux and Landcruiser based on perceived demand by enthusiasts, only for them to sell like poo poo since oops the big fat American trucks are actually better in every way that matters.

It'd be like the Toyobaru except worse since at least the FR-S/BRZ don't have any direct competition.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

BoostCreep posted:

It looks like it weighs 5,000 lbs.

loving who cares. It has a stick. And an old fashioned handbrake.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Wheeee posted:

I can't wait until the chicken tax gets repealed and manufacturers bring over trucks like the Hilux and Landcruiser based on perceived demand by enthusiasts, only for them to sell like poo poo since oops the big fat American trucks are actually better in every way that matters.

The niche those LandCruisers fill isn't really present in the USA anyway - they're not really suitable for us on normal roads

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me

dissss posted:

The niche those LandCruisers fill isn't really present in the USA anyway - they're not really suitable for us on normal roads

If Jeep Wranglers are suitable for normal roads, the Toyotas probably are too.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

PBCrunch posted:

If Jeep Wranglers are suitable for normal roads, the Toyotas probably are too.

Try actually driving one - they're a lot more agricultural than a modern Wrangler, and don't have the electronic nannies that help the Jeep out.

Not that I think a Wrangler is a particularly suitable vehicle to be driving around on the road either.

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

dissss posted:

Try actually driving one - they're a lot more agricultural than a modern Wrangler, and don't have the electronic nannies that help the Jeep out.

Not that I think a Wrangler is a particularly suitable vehicle to be driving around on the road either.

Are we talking about the same vehicles? I always assumed the only reason people bought Jeeps in Australia was because they couldn't afford a LandCruiser. Mine sites and construction jobs seem to buy a hell of a lot more Hiluxes and Cruisers, in fact I can't think of a single time I've seen someone with a work Jeep.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Of course you wouldn't buy a Jeep for work - the reason people buy them is they think they look cool.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk
Not to mention that down here if you need a 4WD for work it usually means you need a tray as well, which no Jeep offers anyway.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
What are VW's made of nowadays? I see 30% Mexican, 19% German, 4% US and I guess that leaves 47% extraterrestrial.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

dissss posted:

Of course you wouldn't buy a Jeep for work - the reason people buy them is they think they look cool.

Yea, the North American version of a Landcruiser or Hilux is a Chevy Silverado Work Truck stripper model which costs half as much and will tow/haul more poo poo.

Jeeps are toys.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I got a 2015 grand cherokee as a rental with the pentastar/8 speed combo, and the transmission programing was painful in such a high weight/low torque vehicle. a little poke of the throttle to match the speed of the next lane before merging and it jumps from 8th to 3rd and the engine starts screaming and then climbs back up to 8th. It was basically never in 6th or 7th gear. The paddle shifters/manual mode actually held gears, followed direction, and shifted quite quickly, so in a lighter/torquey car it would probably be pretty decent.

With the shifter itself, janky isn't a strong enough word. It's not a physical movement anymore, it's just a button in front of and behind the shifter stick with 2 clicks forward and back returning to center every time, so you put your foot on the brake and give it a light touch backwards for reverse and it jumps to neutral instead. try giving it a light touch forward and it's back to park. You can't move into a specific gear with muscle memory, and have to check the screen or the shifter to check to what gear it actually went into when you're maneuvering in tight areas. It's horrible poo poo for the sake of horrible poo poo, a dial shifter would be a massive improvement assuming it's an actual positional dial and not just an endless click wheel that would get the same results.

It got decent fuel economy and had a lot of neat poo poo for the type of vehicle it was, but the shifter and engine/trans combo drove me nuts.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Powershift posted:

Chrysler.txt

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Wheeee posted:

It'd just be nice to have legit rugged utility vehicles that are reliable as gently caress. Some people like stripped vehicles.

Tacomas won't even come in a single cab anymore starting in 16 :psyduck:

Tundra dropped their stripped model manual transmission years ago, and the Tacoma is only going to offer w/ the 4x4 V6 next year.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

D C posted:

So its a riced out Lexus GS with a Toyota badge?

Why should we get it?

A lot of Lexus models are branded Toyota in Japan.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Uncle Jam posted:

A lot of Lexus models are branded Toyota in Japan.

That hasn't been true for many years now.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

The shifter is a ZF innovation, all the Audis that came with the ZF 8 speed in those years had the same shifter, and obviously something used by both Chrysler and Audi can't be a bad idea.

The GC is the last vehicle to use that style of shifter, every other car with that transmission has gone to either a real shifter or a rotary dial.

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice

Powershift posted:

merging and it jumps from 8th to 3rd and the engine starts screaming and then climbs back up to 8th. It was basically never in 6th or 7th gear.

This kind of makes sense. I remember driving a 2 Series with the ZF8 and wishing they just got rid of gears 5-6-7 because fourth was perfect for around town and eighth was plenty for the highway. The in-between gears were such a nuisance.

I imagine the transmission programmers have a hard time finding a use for those middle gears outside of the lightest of acceleration. I think they exist mostly to improve fuel economy in the federal tests and for marketing purposes. It's otherwise pretty useless to have more than six gears outside of a semi.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
The 9 speed in the Chrysler 200 is atrocious.

9th on the highway, want to pass someone? heres 3rd after some scary, dead pedal deliberation on the trans' part, WAIT NO THAT WAS THE VERY TOP OF 3RD HERES 4TH INSTEAD.

Sport mode made it quite a bit better because it didnt go above 6th, but the delay on downshifts was downright dangerous and I got caught out by it a few times making turns across traffic.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

something something manual gears.

:P

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I don't think you'd want a 9 speed manual either

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

dissss posted:

I don't think you'd want a 9 speed manual either

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

oRenj9 posted:

This kind of makes sense. I remember driving a 2 Series with the ZF8 and wishing they just got rid of gears 5-6-7 because fourth was perfect for around town and eighth was plenty for the highway. The in-between gears were such a nuisance.

I imagine the transmission programmers have a hard time finding a use for those middle gears outside of the lightest of acceleration. I think they exist mostly to improve fuel economy in the federal tests and for marketing purposes. It's otherwise pretty useless to have more than six gears outside of a semi.

The same transmission in an RS7 spends a lot of time in 5th and 6th on the freeway at legal speeds.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

I'd take more than six gears in a manual in all seriousness

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

If the gearbox were S2000 levels of wonderful tight machined glory then a car with 6+ gears would be a joy. I'd bang up and down a box like that all day long. If it were cheap European econobox vagueness and slop then nah.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

Nodoze posted:

There's always the Corvette...

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

Q_res posted:

There's always the Corvette...

Never :colbert:

88h88 posted:

If the gearbox were S2000 levels of wonderful tight machined glory then a car with 6+ gears would be a joy. I'd bang up and down a box like that all day long. If it were cheap European econobox vagueness and slop then nah.

If only all manuals were as good

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

Nodoze posted:

I want whatever this is but on the tree

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

blugu64 posted:

I want whatever this is but on the tree
I mean, you could just leave it in third literally all the time... :stonkhat:

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Nodoze posted:

this would be really hard to do drunk

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Give me a DCT. Only poors don't have a robot to work the clutch and stick shift. Pfft.

Tremblay
Oct 8, 2002
More dog whistles than a Petco

Twerk from Home posted:

With the enormous Pilot Sport 3 tires and 18" wheels? I'm convinced those have got to be somewhat responsible for the mediocre fuel economy. Even on the highway I can barely get that thing over 32mpg driving under the speed limit and doing some hypermiling stuff.

Gf has a '14 Focus Ti, averages 35mpg.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Elephanthead posted:

Give me a DCT. Only poors don't have a robot to work the clutch and stick shift. Pfft.

Yeah that's workin' out real good for my sister and her Focus.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Enourmo posted:

Yeah that's workin' out real good for my sister and her Focus.

Herky jerky, I trust?

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Nice and shaky at idle, in first gear it bucks and has little power until about 3k.

She's already got an appointment to replace the "internal clutch packs", i dunno if that means the main power clutch unit or if there's clutch packs for the gears like on an automatic.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Enourmo posted:

Nice and shaky at idle, in first gear it bucks and has little power until about 3k.

She's already got an appointment to replace the "internal clutch packs", i dunno if that means the main power clutch unit or if there's clutch packs for the gears like on an automatic.

There are two clutches between the rms and input shaft on concentric shafts. The o ring between them leaks transmission oil onto the clutches and then they shudder. They replace the clutches, clean the flywheel and replace the seals then recalibrate the clutch drivers.takes three days and they usually have one guy and that's all he does.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Nodoze posted:

Porsche has a 7 speed manual.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Twerk from Home posted:

With the enormous Pilot Sport 3 tires and 18" wheels? I'm convinced those have got to be somewhat responsible for the mediocre fuel economy. Even on the highway I can barely get that thing over 32mpg driving under the speed limit and doing some hypermiling stuff.

We have the same car - Focus Ti, titanium handling package. Averaged around 27mpg. Put on some all seasons afterward, no real increase on the mpg front.

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

:pervert:Zoom Zoom, motherfuckers:pervert:

Mr. Apollo posted:

Porsche has a 7 speed manual.

It's a PDK that they made into a manual and it's worse. Sad days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Pr0kjayhawk posted:

It's a PDK that they made into a manual and it's worse. Sad days.

What's surprising about a PDK-derived manual gearbox being worse than the real PDK? You're going from perfect shifting to the best shifting you can do.