Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Damien's motivation is that he wants Aiden to come back and help him be a criminal again. So when Aiden is like "uh no i'm not about that anymore" he forcefully makes him cooperate by kidnapping his sister-wife. He also wants to find out who the second hacker at the hotel in the beginning is. That's about the gist of it.

So not only did i try and drive around the bad guys like Chip did in the video. But the first time i attempted the mission i was thinking "why not just shoot the guys and rescue Jackson that way". The reason being the game fails you because it wants you to hack the train. There's also the vague story reasoning that he doesn't want his family to know he's a violent criminal? Although his sister seems to already know some of it considering she goes "oh god Aiden don't try fix our problems' way back in the beginning of the game so :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moartoast
Jan 16, 2011

Another unfunny, threadshitting knob-end.

Suspicious Cook posted:

A lot of this doesn't make sense but this is the one that really stands out to me. Has war changed so much, people are using ID chipped brains?

Brain chips are only for actually cool and good cyberpunk games, like Syndicate Wars. :colbert:

Suspicious Cook posted:

This writing smacks of a single guy hammering it out at night just to have some words down and then having it shoved into the final product without a second pass.

I know this is beating a dead horse with a tired observation, but it's a lot less one-person first-draft-y and a lot more committee-designed mess of different voices trying to pull it in different directions. Entire sections and missions don't connect to each other, character motivations change constantly, Aiden himself switches from "honorable vigilante who doesn't kill even his biggest threats" to "kill-crazy evil Nathan Drake" in the middle of the same mission. Even the game's perception and portrayal of Aiden is wildly different from moment to moment. He's a neo-noir anti-hero, he's actually a schlubby villain who's deluded into thinking he's the good guy, oh wait now he's supposed to be an ICONIC modern superhero that you're supposed to root for, he shouldn't kill people because look at these humanizing random lines of text showing that everyone is a person and everyone's life is valuable, oh wait except for these CORRUPT COPS they're subhuman trash through-and-through and this forced action sequence thoroughly incentivizes you brutally execute them.

It's not too little time for one writer, it's arguably too much time afforded to too many cooks writers and developers and publisher mandates and no design through-line. This will become even more apparent than it already is as we get deeper into the game.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
also, what was the purpose of stopping the train? at a train stop? like, i must have missed something, because a train departing five minutes later than usual isn't scary, it's just tuesday

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Suspicious Dish posted:

also, what was the purpose of stopping the train? at a train stop? like, i must have missed something, because a train departing five minutes later than usual isn't scary, it's just tuesday

He doesn't stop the train, he starts it so the goons can't get on.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
the goons who were already in a car driving away to the next station that we had to take out?

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

My favourite part is Aiden bending Damien over the oven and the oven still not coming into play as the means of interrogation.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

SelenicMartian posted:

My favourite part is Aiden bending Damien over the oven and the oven still not coming into play as the means of interrogation.

Betcha that's the work of a higher up who felt risking burning Damien's face off would be going too far for the target audience to stomach. "He needs to be edgy, but not TOO edgy, and this is too edgy" or something similar was probably the last word and this is what we got instead.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

Betcha that's the work of a higher up who felt risking burning Damien's face off would be going too far for the target audience to stomach. "He needs to be edgy, but not TOO edgy, and this is too edgy" or something similar was probably the last word and this is what we got instead.

Meanwhile, Wei Shen can't hear what the executives are saying because he's too busy lighting dude's heads on fire.

Wei Shen is a better crimefighter AND a better criminal!

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

"Amateur petrologist", in a prison, is a neat little reference. Petrology is a branch of geology, studying rocks and the like. I imagine he'd have a little rock hammer, to study his rocks with...

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Given what Aiden has been doing in the plot so far, I am really unclear as to why Damien hasn't at minimum had his other leg crippled for that stunt.

EDIT: Seriously Aiden, gently caress up his other leg and have Jordi pick him up while you save your nephewson.

Zereth fucked around with this message at 11:10 on Jul 11, 2015

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Heh, that's kind of neat. Didn't know there was alternate dialogue if you hadn't unlocked the skill for controlling the trains by this point (it's one of the first and cheapest skills to grab and the traIns are very good for escaping police.)

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Maybe the petrologist fellow is a reference to the Shawshank Redemption?

edit: VVV Oops, sorry. I blame the fact I block out about 90% of this thread anyway.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 12:30 on Jul 11, 2015

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

anilEhilated posted:

Serperoth posted:

"Amateur petrologist", in a prison, is a neat little reference. Petrology is a branch of geology, studying rocks and the like. I imagine he'd have a little rock hammer, to study his rocks with...

:smuggo:

But yeah, he most likely is, which surprised me a little, considering this is Watch_Dogs. Not a reference I was expecting, despite the prison setting.

maswastaken
Nov 12, 2011

anilEhilated posted:

And that cupcake on the wall! Let's ask her, maybe she knows. What say you there, fuzzy-britches? Feel like talking? Aw, guess not. Why should she be any different? This is a conspiracy, that's what it is. One... big... drat conspiracy! And everyone's in on it, including her!

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

The motorcycle didn't disappear when you crashed into the truck at the beginning, it ended up on the sidewalk behind you.

ThatPazuzu
Sep 8, 2011

I'm so depressed, I can't even blink.
When I played this part I escaped the cops by jumping onto the tracks and hitching a ride on the L-Train. I've said this before but I like any chase scene that ends with the L-Train.

Edit: oh, I also want to say I really like Damien's design. He's the kinda ugly, older hacker who looks like a kinda ugly, older hacker. While Aiden is generic as hell and just reads as "protagonist," Damien actually has some character to him and that's neat.

ThatPazuzu fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Jul 11, 2015

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Marginally better than Shepard's dancing. 2/10

Suspicious Dish posted:

the goons who were already in a car driving away to the next station that we had to take out?

The goons that had just gotten out of their car to go get Jacks from the train and hurriedly got back in when Aiden hacked it.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
That Vlogger lady outside the police station was named Chi-Hua Huang. :psyduck:

I think I found the one joke Ubisoft put in. Problem is it's not even remotely funny and is also kinda sorta incredibly racist. Amazing.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Dragonatrix posted:

I think I found the one joke Ubisoft put in. Problem is it's not even remotely funny and is also kinda sorta incredibly racist. Amazing.
Next you'll tell us Terrier is not a perfectly common English name for a girl.

Mr_D
Jan 28, 2001

I have no sense of humor. I like to crap on everyone's good time by being a jerk. Take a ride on my turd rainbow!
???

http://www.ars.usda.gov/pandp/people/people.htm?personid=10467

Of course, this is a dude, not a lady. Can't give Ubisoft too much credit!

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Seriously, Aiden just had his family kidnapped and he's got the bum-legged guy in charge of it RIGHT THERE in his house? You have a gun, shoot the rear end in a top hat in his good leg, throw him in your trunk, tell him to call off the goons who kidnapped sister-wife or you start taking hedge clippers to his typing fingers. ("And then it'll be REALLY hard to be a master hacker, bud! In fact, I'm in such a bad mood that I'm going to lop off a digit or other protruding body part for every ten-minute interval it takes for us to be reunited. Travel time included.") You know. Go full on Jack Bauer here.

Also, regarding the guy he wants to silence in prison: he just saved the guy from being beaten up by a death squad, if he were really good at "social hacks" he should spin it as "well, I'm basically The Shadow and I saved your life, plus I can come and go as I please, so do me a favor and don't rat me out. In fact, I'll even be nice and hack your prison term down to a mere five days!" You know. More carrot than stick.

Speedball fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Jul 11, 2015

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Speedball posted:

More carrot than stick.
Aiden's carrot is too precious to give it to random strangers in prison.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
also, yeah, hasn't the plot been "find who has been threatening your family up until now and fix the situation with more hacking?" and now you have the culprit right in front of your eyes, and you just sort of let him slip away? doing his crimes for him?

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Damien MUST have been a late addition to the plot because he is so extraneous compared to the real antagonists.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Also I don't see why the two are even in conflict. Aiden wanted to find the people who caught him at the Merlaut, Damien wants the same thing. The only thing pushing them against each other is they're both psychopaths convinced they're master manipulators.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
Aiden Pierce is a monster. I know it's been said many times in this thread, but I really have no idea why I'm supposed to be rooting for this guy vs. ctOS/Blume (who seem a pretty bog-standard tech company with political aspirations). At least ctOS aren't cop killers and don't destroy public property.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Patter Song posted:

Aiden Pierce is a monster. I know it's been said many times in this thread, but I really have no idea why I'm supposed to be rooting for this guy vs. ctOS/Blume (who seem a pretty bog-standard tech company with political aspirations). At least ctOS aren't cop killers and don't destroy public property.

Yeah, as far as the main storyline goes, the idea of surveillance being bad hasn't been a huge factor. It's all been about Aiden being a fuckup of a criminal, getting a relative killed, and then loving up more in the process of trying to get revenge. He's accomplished nothing aside from pissing off the one guy who knew anything about the event that got his niece killed for no good reason, got his sister kidnapped, and barely avoided having her remaining child get kidnapped as well.

e: Aside from inane video footage on Blume servers and random conspiracies described in audio logs, most of the awful abuses of ctOS have been enacted by the player. Like monitoring family phone calls so that you can track down and murder people, or hacking into home security systems to steal from people's bank accounts.

Motto fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Jul 11, 2015

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!
What annoys me about this part of the game is that I'm a sap and actually do like Aiden's visible concern for his family, as well as his efforts to try and keep Jacks safe. Like, rather than keep them at his lovely motel room, he actually contacts the goddamn therapist. With the version of Aiden Pearce as a semi-self aware sociopath, that's actually some nice characterisation to show that he knows he is not qualified to be someone's anchor during a traumatic event like this.

On the other hand, you have the whole prison fiasco before it, and how Damien approaches his 'plan'.

Okay, so, the guy who saw Aiden at the stadium was apparently a threat because he could, somehow, ID him. I went back and checked, and the only interaction they have is five seconds where the guy sees his face and that's it. Aiden's name doesn't slip out beyond a 'Pearce' (and prison guy looks pretty unconscious anyway). So what exactly is the threat this guy poses? Well, the only way he could seemingly ID Aiden is by describing his appearance or confirming against a photo. So by that logic, its Aiden's face that needs to be kept hidden, and in most other stories his plan might vaguely make sense in that regard.

Except both outside and inside the mission, the game skewers that idea. Outside, the game shows (and hell, even does so in the mission itself) that Aiden cannot be identified on the CtOS, so they're not gonna be able to match him on there and scope him out. Fine, maybe its a matter of the police being able to catch him by line of sight on the street, or throwing up wanted posters of 'the vigilante'. Except turning himself in gives them a photo - and he's clearly not planning to delete it given how he goes and changes his name but does nothing on the photo. Okay, arguably that wouldn't give away Aiden as the vigilante, since there's no context surrounding that photo. Except right after submitting that photo which he apparently made no effort to delete, poo poo goes down that would be very easily connected to the vigilante. Because a gunman that the system cannot identify - and is witnessed escaping by the cops - should be by default pegged as 'the vigilante', unless there are other people going around doing Aiden's kind of nonsense.

Plus that's not even counting the fact that somehow prison guy only had 60 days on his sentence, even though Jordi faked them shooting the other guy. So either Jordi's work didn't fool the forensics unit, or Chicago police are far more lenient than I've heard.

And yes, Damien's approach to kidnapping Aiden's family is stupid. All he needed to do to make his point was that one brief clip at the house whilst Aiden was half a city away. Why was he still there?

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Astro Nut posted:

And yes, Damien's approach to kidnapping Aiden's family is stupid. All he needed to do to make his point was that one brief clip at the house whilst Aiden was half a city away. Why was he still there?
Best part: he could have recorded the clip weeks earlier when the family was away or something. Make Aiden rush to their house like a moron only to find them safe and sound, then give him a call about how vulnerable he actually is.

Kloro
Oct 24, 2008

Fancy a grown man saying hujus hujus hujus as if he were proud of it it is not english and do not make SENSE.

Speedball posted:

Damien MUST have been a late addition to the plot because he is so extraneous compared to the real antagonists.

Honestly the entire plot feels like a late addition to the plot.

Junkozeyne
Feb 13, 2012
Don't forget that Blume only hires ~corrupt people~ that totally deserve to die, no really look this man has an affair shoot him to death he's literally the worst why aren't you shooting them yet

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Speedball posted:

All the antagonists are extraneous compared to the other antagonists. I've watched the entire game thanks to the other thread and I still don't know which guy is the "real" antagonist.

Smart Car
Mar 31, 2011

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

All the antagonists are extraneous compared to the other antagonists. I've watched the entire game thanks to the other thread and I still don't know which guy is the "real" antagonist.
Aiden.

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

Judging by how dreary everything is, I'm gonna go with the stock dystopia answer of "humanity"

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Dunno, he seems pretty extraneous, too.

D_W
Nov 12, 2013

Kloro posted:

Honestly the entire plot feels like a late addition to the plot.

Considering the development hell this game was apparently in, that may not be far from the truth.

It wouldn't surprise me if they had a set idea for missions with set pieces and mechanics all laid out well before they had any true narrative to tie it altogether.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

SelenicMartian posted:

Best part: he could have recorded the clip weeks earlier when the family was away or something. Make Aiden rush to their house like a moron only to find them safe and sound, then give him a call about how vulnerable he actually is.

that's what i genuinely thought was going to happen

"aiden no don't fall for it it's clearly a prerecorded clip being broadcast aiden nooooo"

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
So what's the name of the kinda good song that plays during that cutscene when Aiden lets himself get arrested? Because I've actually listened to some of the Watch_Dogs soundtrack and haven't come across that one. Honestly what I've heard of the Watch_Dogs soundtrack isn't really that great, it's mostly forgettable ambient stuff, but maybe I'm not looking in the right place.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Chip posted:

I like that when I crash into that truck, that my motorcycle just kinda went away. It didn't get, like, knocked over somewhere. It just kinda disappeared.
It's right there, you were even looking at it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

It is really weird how Watch_Dogs says all these bad things about the police, the penal system, and various security programs, but also is way into brutally bringing criminals to justice. It kind of makes Aiden part of the problem and the solution.

• Locked thread