Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bobthethurd
Dec 27, 2007
Lovable Bob.

Aesis posted:

Flags are consumables that are rewarded for achieving medals such as Confederate. You can't buy those.

And yes always focus on movement before shooting. Turning too late and getting yourself stuck because you focused too much on shooting is bad.

Especially good in battleships because taking your time to prepare your approach or making sure to turn to run away before you get into a bad position where many ships can fire on you can save you from TONS of damage. There's many times in my wyoming I've fought a retreating action against several myogis while alone just by turning and running, and managed to really put the hurt on them with my rear batteries just because they were giving me flat sides while I was doing a LITTLE weaving and giving them highly angled armor as well.

But also it's almost never good to get stuck on an island. Except for that one Mr Magoo battleship I've never seen a BB under enemy fire survive after running itself aground, or if it did it took a hell of a beating before it got back underway. One of the best things you can do between volleys is stare longingly at your minimap to be aware of where enemies are positioned all around you.

It's also very useful to not tunnelvision on one target. If they're not giving you a flat side to shoot, is there someone else around who is? Maybe you want to turn your guns on that target. In the games where I'm hitting on target that's how I end up with all my confederate medals. The BB is angling away or towards me? Alright. I'll let someone with HE start him on fire and delete a cruiser with this salvo instead of doing 2k damage to that battleship.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I got two gun kills without a single torpedo hit as the Wicks. One of them a carrier I just kept setting on fire over and over while he ran away and I tried to get to torp range. It was a good time.

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

Ugh of course my 1.5x game in the Phoenix today was the one where I was one shotted by a Furutaka I didnt even see and he hit my magazine at like 13km. My next game was like 2400 xp why couldnt that have been my double?

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Wait, are flags consumable or something? Lame. I guess I'm saving my +50%xp for a rainy day or until I get better at this game.
They're consumables rewarded for getting achievements. The 50% xp ones are pretty easy to win, and you can get 10 a day. You might not have unlocked flags yet, check your account level.

El Disco posted:

Were you playing a different CBT than the rest of us? That wasn't even in the loving alpha. :psyduck:

There were Bismarck models and icons in at least one of the alpha patches. I don't think it was ever playable. :eng101:

MREBoy
Mar 14, 2005

MREs - They're whats for breakfast, lunch AND dinner !

demonR6 posted:

$$$ woes

So how much $ a month is it ?

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

JacksLibido posted:

Since I like the Langley I figured I'd try out the Japanese side as well... how the everloving gently caress do you get ANY XP with the POS kawachi? Seriously, how is this piece of poo poo even in the game like this? I get out ranged by cruisers, I have crap armor, and my guns can't land shots anywhere near where I'm aiming.

I thought the South Carolina was rough, this thing takes the drat cake.

I came here to ask about this, I'm completely new and have been doing decent in everything so far but this. I have yet to get a single victory in this ship, I'm pretty clearly being a detriment to the team in it. Stock range is 8.9 kilometers, upgraded is 9.8, so like JacksLibido said it is getting outranged by cruisers. Is there some trick besides staying in a ball or using free exp to skip it?

OSad
Feb 29, 2012
The Kawachi at least has a decent broadside. The Myogi has a weird gun configuration and terrible handling, plus you have to play it for 20k experience to get to the Kongou.

I'd much rather play the Kawachi than the Myogi.

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012
I thought the Myogi was pretty good once I got the final hull upgrade. :shrug:

How much of a difference does the Kongo's accuracy upgrade make?

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy

MREBoy posted:

So how much $ a month is it ?

Have to check when I'm home and can get in the account. Wasn't a whole lot but still I got tired of eating the bill mostly.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Lakedaimon posted:

Ugh of course my 1.5x game in the Phoenix today was the one where I was one shotted by a Furutaka I didnt even see and he hit my magazine at like 13km. My next game was like 2400 xp why couldnt that have been my double?

In an ideal world, a perk of a premium account would be to be able to *choose* which game you wanted your daily double applied to.

MREBoy
Mar 14, 2005

demonR6 posted:

Have to check when I'm home and can get in the account. Wasn't a whole lot but still I got tired of eating the bill mostly.

I just poked into the PBCAK TS (had it bookmarked for some reason) and holy poo poo that's a lot of channels, along with some noticeable gently caress GOONS stuff. If its not super horrible I could probably pony up a few months worth of time for our own server.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy
Well, we had a link on the server to donate directly to the account but that's out the window without us being able to log in. heh.

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

BIG HEADLINE posted:

In an ideal world, a perk of a premium account would be to be able to *choose* which game you wanted your daily double applied to.

Game I just got out of was even better. Looks like I unlocked something that gave me 1 day of premium (level 7?) and I proceeded to have a 4 kill game where I bagged both enemy carriers with my babby 4.5km torpedoes. Uncle Rico could throw a drat football farther than those things.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

Pubbies. Pubbies never change.

TS is down, is there somewhere else I can go to botes with people?

MREBoy
Mar 14, 2005

demonR6 posted:

Well, we had a link on the server to donate directly to the account but that's out the window without us being able to log in. heh.

If you click the little TS server status strip thing in the OP, it goes to the hosting company website and there's a donation button there. :cool: :derptiel:

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

demonR6 posted:

donate to GoonsTS here

Alternatively, I set up a Discord server here as a temporary backstop until this poo poo is sorted. It's not great but you can open it in a web browser, and it has integrated chat.

E: A revelation I have discovered is binding PTT to your mouse doesn't work in the web browser version, but if you don't bind to your mouse no worries. There's a downloadable standalone version but :effort:

Also there is a mumble but I don't know what it is, nor do I like loving with mumble.[/s] Or we can use the CTS mumble, up to you guys, though I really don't like loving with mumble certificates.

E2: Discord is a steaming pile of poo poo when trying to work out opening it in the browser and the app at the same time, it kicks you from both. Go to the CTS mumble instead.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3714380 thread is here with the info. World of Warships channel is under the Misc Channels.

E3: I just pitched in £5, so the server is good for 30 days, log in and pay for that poo poo Demon.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Jul 11, 2015

Burno
Aug 6, 2012

there is always a perfectly functioning mumble

Darth Sidious
Jan 9, 2011

My Force is Bigger Than Yours!

orange juche posted:

donate to GoonsTS here

Alternatively, I set up a Discord server here as a temporary backstop until this poo poo is sorted. It's not great but you can open it in a web browser, and it has integrated chat.

i just Downloaded the client for that https://discordapp.com/apps

Also there's CTS mumble which works well

MREBoy
Mar 14, 2005

I don't like using Mumble, its overlay functions refuse to work on my computer for some reason. :argh:

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

MREBoy posted:

I don't like using Mumble, its overlay functions refuse to work on my computer for some reason. :argh:

I like mumble because it seems to have fewer issues where I can't understand what someone is saying.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Hunting carriers in a destroyer has become my favorite thing in this game. You pop smoke and sneak up on a distracted carrier and when he realizes he's being hunted he already has torpedoes on the way to hit his anchored rear end :getin:

I don't think BBs are for me. How can anyone have the patience to play with such slow moving, innacurate and slow firing boats? Jesus.

ChickenWing posted:

Yeah it sure would be awful if things turned out like that incredibly excellent game that was significantly more fun than its respective Wargaming competitors :can:

WarThunder has this thing where 90% of the playerbase acts like Wargaming caused them personal grievances for not being a worse tank simulator than RO and get really offended when people say the game really isn't that special (why am i grinding forever for planes i can play with better systems in Sturmovik\wings of prey for free?).

They're the breaking bad fans of vidja games and it's really weird.

WayAbvPar
Mar 11, 2009

Ah- Smug Mode.

I am in for $20 if I don't have to make a goddamned account to donate.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

WayAbvPar posted:

I am in for $20 if I don't have to make a goddamned account to donate.

Just make an account you nerd, and then forget the password.

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

Why couldnt you have been this good to me the whole time Wyoming? Its too late though, I've met someone else she has bigger guns and is named New York, and I hope she treats me better.

Darth Sidious
Jan 9, 2011

My Force is Bigger Than Yours!
Where can i find the new password to the in game "GOONS" channel ?

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

The difference between classes of Carrier seems like the most extreme of all the ships. If I'm in my Langley and the enemy has a Bogue I know immediately I'm gonna get destroyed.

I kinda wish there was a carrier-less mode. It's not like we're actually recreating pacific naval battles. I think it's why I like tier 2/3 so much.

WayAbvPar
Mar 11, 2009

Ah- Smug Mode.

orange juche posted:

Just make an account you nerd, and then forget the password.

FINE. Wasn't sure what the exchange rate was, so I contributed 12 pounds. Turns out that is $19.09, so I was pretty close!

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
The Kawachi was great, but it's difficult to put into words what made it so.

I guess, having the four turrets per side meant it was really easy to maneuver to good shooting positions, without giving up armor angling between shots.

You have to plot a course closer to the enemy than your cruiser line, which means destroyers are the biggest enemy, because you'll be right up against the islands on most maps. Don't get yourself ambushed and then just blow up cruisers with AP. I can count dozens of times a St. Louis thinks he has me because lol Kawachi and then BAM two citadels and he's at the bottom. Chesters and Chikumas are just meat. St. Louis, somewhat threatening. South Carolina, depends on positioning, but you have the better layout to get your guns pointed at him before his are at you. Higher-tier ships are problematic, but you're slow too so others will usually engage them first and then just drop AP on their decks while they're distracted.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

The Kawachi rides really low in the water for a BB, too - but it's extremely wide, so there's a greater chance of plunging shells doing a shitload of damage.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I have a surprisingly hard time getting Citadel Hits on St. Louises. I think it's because the huge smoke-stacks that take up so much of the superstructure are intercepting shells intended to plunge into the deck.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

The Kawachi rides really low in the water for a BB, too - but it's extremely wide, so there's a greater chance of plunging shells doing a shitload of damage.

That fits my experience; I had a lot better luck deliberately sailing through island cover and then into close fights (6km to 7km or so), than keeping long range.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Night10194 posted:

I have a surprisingly hard time getting Citadel Hits on St. Louises. I think it's because the huge smoke-stacks that take up so much of the superstructure are intercepting shells intended to plunge into the deck.

Or it's more probable that WG mis-sized them or didn't put enough of them in.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Or it's more probable that WG mis-sized them or didn't put enough of them in.

Naw, they're there. St. Louises just seem to be pretty resilient, but a BB should be able to pen the citadel on them nonetheless, though through the deck is probably not going to work.

Also, finally got the Hatsuharu. Then I got put in a match with 6 people on both teams. Rip matchmaking.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Hazdoc posted:

Naw, they're there. St. Louises just seem to be pretty resilient, but a BB should be able to pen the citadel on them nonetheless, though through the deck is probably not going to work.

Also, finally got the Hatsuharu. Then I got put in a match with 6 people on both teams. Rip matchmaking.

I've penned a St. Louis many times, it definitely takes a BB though, seeing as it actually has an armor belt, which is a rarity on tier 3 CLs. It really is fun double-penning one and watching it go from 30,000 HP to none.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

The biggest problem with the Kawachi is that it exists in the same tier as the St. Louis, a cruiser with longer range, more dpm, and better accuracy. The only way for a Kawachi to beat a St Louis is for one to get sloppy and let it in range, then get it with citadel hits, which are completely luck based beyond being able to hit the general middle of a target.

ijyt posted:

No, Bismarck.

Bismarck has never been in game, at least not in the CBT.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 09:57 on Jul 11, 2015

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
As someone who played CBT, I can assure you Bismark never existed. Or I would have played it just to see how poo poo it was.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

I can speak for Closed Alpha, too.

It's not even confirmed if Bismarck is going to be a premium, and even amongst those who are convinced it will be, it's a question of whether it belongs at T7 or T8, since despite its fame, it wasn't really *that* good of a ship. 15" guns will likely land it in T8 range provided it gets an appropriate RoF debuff so T8s packing 16" guns have a slight edge on it.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 10:19 on Jul 11, 2015

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
At least it went down fighting fierce battle, unlike Hotel Yamato.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Aesis posted:

At least it went down fighting fierce battle, unlike Hotel Yamato.

I refer to being rudder damaged in this game while fully-chocked to one side or the other while on a repair cooldown as being 'Bismarcked.'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

orange juche posted:

I've penned a St. Louis many times, it definitely takes a BB though, seeing as it actually has an armor belt, which is a rarity on tier 3 CLs. It really is fun double-penning one and watching it go from 30,000 HP to none.
I've gotten citadels on one while also driving a St. Louis. It takes a good, flat shot on the side at close range though.