Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

axelsoar posted:

Is that how that works? Is that why my berserker with white magic has mp to rival my white mage?

edit: also, I picked up a reflect ring from one of the reflect knights in the barrier tower. Was that my only chance to get those? Do I care about reflect rings with my party set-up?

yeah certain abilities transfer stats to the class that equips them. the magic skills do that with the higher level skills giving more stats, forget the exactly l ist offhand

and reflect rings help a lot with a couple of fights (one big one being exdeath at the end of world 2) but you can live without thwem. you can't buy them but you can win them from an endgame enemy if you want more and there's one in an optional dungeon later

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Kyrosiris posted:

Correct! Specifically, the formula of stat inheritance is:

!WHITE
Magic Power = White Mage Magic Power - 2 * (6 - White Mage Job Level)

So if you have !White 6, that last bit is 6 - 6 or 0, and you get full White Mage magic power - which is base of 49 (versus 1 for a Berserker).

The primary reason for this - aside from having another out-of-battle healer - is what it does to the Rune Axe. Consider the following:

Putting !White 6 on a Berserker with the Rune Axe results in nearly doubling its damage. :black101:
whoah, I just thought Rune Axe consumed MP for a crit. It actually puts Magic into the attack equation? That's way better than I thought

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Nihilarian posted:

whoah, I just thought Rune Axe consumed MP for a crit. It actually puts Magic into the attack equation? That's way better than I thought

yeah rune axe is good if you've got decent magic. it's got solid accuracy for an axe too (90 where most are 80). i just wish it didn't have that stupid axe damage modifier attached to it

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Nihilarian posted:

Yep. The way rune weapons work is, they use 10 MP a hit and then add a certain amount of attack power (+10 for the Axe, +20 for Rune Edge) and a whole bonus multiplier keyed to the Magic stat.

Basically, they work just like the Chicken Knife, but for Magic instead of Agility. 81 * 27 = lots of damage (2187 on average)

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
First time I beat exdeath I just threw q bunch of money at him and he rolled over. It felt like cheating.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Berserker and Geomancer have surprising synergy in that a Geomancer with equip axes and the rune axe does a hell of a lot of damage. I just that it's funny that even the two worst classes can work well together.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Archeoavis went down remarkably easily, once I popped Haste on my whole team and Slow on him. Second form (immune to magic, I think? Tried !terrain, which is wind-based in the ruins, and breaking an ice rod, and neither worked) was a bit of a slog since I had to kill him through ~120 damage stabs, but I managed it just fine. Not hard, just long.

Final lineup for my first time through FFV is Thief, Time Mage, Geomancer... and Chemist, which judging by the posts in this thread is worthy of a :getin: smilie.

Is there something in particular I should grind before heading to Galuf's world?

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Mikl posted:

Archeoavis went down remarkably easily, once I popped Haste on my whole team and Slow on him. Second form (immune to magic, I think? Tried !terrain, which is wind-based in the ruins, and breaking an ice rod, and neither worked) was a bit of a slog since I had to kill him through ~120 damage stabs, but I managed it just fine. Not hard, just long.

Final lineup for my first time through FFV is Thief, Time Mage, Geomancer... and Chemist, which judging by the posts in this thread is worthy of a :getin: smilie.

Is there something in particular I should grind before heading to Galuf's world?

turtle shells from the turtles around karnak, rods from karnak for some easy damage until you get comet, maybe hi-potions from the fire ship if you're not confident about eh big bridge/castle exdeath 1. shells are the big thing, make sure you've got a healthy suupply

Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

In lieu of meaningful text, I'm just going to mention I've been exploding all day and now it hurts to breathe, so I'm sure you all understand.

Mikl posted:

Ordinarily I'd make some glib remark about !Mix being wholly unnecessary, but, uh... Yeah. You'll be needing it for some offense. You'll want to familiarize yourself with this post and this chart to help keep track of what !Mix can do for you.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I fought those crystal guardian things and they were tough as poo poo. They were harder than the first ex death fight. They were doing 2/3 of my health for all party members. I beat the last one with a clutch Gaia right before the attack that would have wiped my last party member out. Ff5 owns.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

Edward_Tohr posted:

Oh yeah. !Rapidfire is loving broken. Auto-hit double damage that also ignores defense? For free? Every round? Why the gently caress not!

... That said, !Iainuki is hilarious if you get it early enough. :v:

Oh lord is it. It's been saving my butt on my current run - a Thief with !Iainuki cleans up so many random encounters. I'm finding it more useful than throwing money in most cases.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Ianuki is the main thing I look forward to whenever I get a Samurai. Not only is it very useful, but the animation is fantastic.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Samuel Clemens posted:

Ianuki is the main thing I look forward to whenever I get a Samurai. Not only is it very useful, but the animation is fantastic.

Yes, it is.

Mustard Iceman
Apr 8, 2015

Weak against ketchup

Knight-Berserker-Ranger-Samurai

What's the best passive for the Berserker? Two-Handed?

Don't really have a way to beat Omega or Shinryuu without grinding until I can damage-race them, right?

Fork Tower's gonna suck

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Mustard Iceman posted:

Don't really have a way to beat Omega or Shinryuu without grinding until I can damage-race them, right?

Fork Tower's gonna suck

definitely two-handed. yeah you're not really going to be able to do the super bosses and tbh i wouldn't bother with the fork tower unless you really want that aegis shield and titan axe from istory.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Mustard Iceman posted:

Shinryu should be possible. Any character with an Aegis Shield, Flame Ring, and the Bone Mail is immune to most of his attacks, and you can use the Darkness Bow to blind him. It'll take a bit of luck, though.

Edit: The alternative would be Ice Shield and Coral Ring. Then you wouldn't have to rely on the 33% chance to block Tidal Wave, but you'd need at least two characters alive so you can survive Demon's Eye.

Samuel Clemens fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Jul 11, 2015

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

Seravadon posted:

Fartz, who is still questioning why his parents would name him that, and his new team have finished run #3.

I gave Omega a few shots but he schooled me. Any suggestions or should I just move on to run #4?

If you noodle it out lemme know, just started a run with this exact team. Rod boosted -ara spells have been awesome but World 2 looms...

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

It's been a whole year since I fought NED last, does he always open with Almagest?

I'm currently running
Berserker with 2x Weapons (I skipped the first Aegis shield and didn't get another from rare steal or doing Fork/etc)

Ninja with Rapidfire and Chicken / some Legendary Ninja weapon throwing what Fuma and high powered weapons I have

Geomancer also with throw

Ranger with rapidfire aiming at the almagest part,

I can't deal enough damage to the almagest part to kill it in the 3 or 4 turns before it almagests the first time and kills everyone except the berserker.

I see I can try giving Equip axes and the rune axe to the Geomancer and maybe having the ninja and ranger throw at the almagest part to kill it fast enough, but then my overall damage will be quite hampered due to losing the Yoichi Rapidfirer.

Does he always do almagest on like turn 4? Ive done like 7-10 tries now and its just a little bit too much damage. I could grind up a few levels for an extra ~100 hp but I already felt like I was overlevelled for this fight having done it on previous years at level 30 not 40

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

Courage, my friends; 'tis not too late to build a better world.

Well, that would have made NED a lot easier.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

David Corbett posted:

Well, that would have made NED a lot easier.

Not really, it was just to show off. Use the Magic Lamp instead.

blinking beacon nose
Nov 1, 2004

birthday frog comes bearing gifts and special birthday wishes
Had Geomancer and Black Mage only. First form of Archaeoavis, spammed !Gaia; who gives a poo poo about your elemental weaknesses when a billion Wind Slashes kicks your rear end! Go magic!

Second form, gently caress me. I eventually had the bright idea to run out and grab some Fire Rings, so that I could heal by immolating my own party and, once in a while, he'd heal me too like an idiot. Bludgeoned him to death with my toenail clippers, the only weapon these guys could equip.

Thought I was a freaking genius for devising this strategy. But I guess now I only have enough expertise to graduate kindergarten. Beats Pre-K, though.

The class constraints make it all the more interesting. I'm going to keep running this game until I die or until the charity ends, whichever comes first.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.

Bregor posted:

If you noodle it out lemme know, just started a run with this exact team. Rod boosted -ara spells have been awesome but World 2 looms...

Taking on Omega with a Chemist team is always doable, but it takes a lot of setup. Basically, you're going to want !Mix on everyone, and they'll all need either Hermes' Sandals or Flame Rings. First priority is getting Goliath Tonic (!Drink with the Chemist and Dragon Fang + Elixir !Mix for everyone else) and Dragon's Kiss (Dragon Fang + Maiden's Kiss). Double HP and Heavy Status will go a long way towards surviving his nastiest attacks. After that, Resist Fire (Ether + Eye Drops) on those wearing Hermes' Sandals or Hasty-ade (Eye Drops + Turtle Shell) on those with Flame Rings. Also throw in Levisalve (Antidote + Maiden's Kiss) in case he decides to throw off an Earth Shaker. Then you'll probably want some levels, so drop a few Dragon Powers (Dragon's Fang + Potion/Hi-Potion) to boost your level. Since you need to do all of this for all four characters, it's going to take a while.

After that, start in with Succubus' Kisses (Turtle Shell + Maiden's Kiss). This should hit for 1000+ with the Chemist and even more with the other three, since I believe they all have higher Magic stats. If you really want to get fancy, you can use a Dragon Defense mix (Dragon Fang + Phoenix Down) to give someone Reflect, then bounce Thundagas off of them.

The biggest things you've got to be careful of are Wave Cannon, Mustard Bomb, and Delta Attack. Wave Cannon is dropped extremely frequently, and is half your max HP in damage. Drop everything to get them back to full ASAP. Two of his three counters are nullified by being Heavy from Dragon's Kiss, but Mustard Bomb can easily KO anyone that's weak from a Wave Cannon (and will KO from full HP if you don't use Goliath Tonics). And Delta Attack's petrify is basically the same as dying. The problem with getting either petrified or KO'd is that you'll have to reapply most of that character's buffs; Goliath Tonic and levels gained through Dragon Power will persist through death, but everything else needs to be redone. Just make sure everyone stays healthy and you'll eventually win. Maybe go grind some levels out to help survive Mustard Bombs if you're still having trouble.

SuperHappy
Aug 22, 2004

feel the rhythm with your hands

Mustard Iceman posted:

Fork Tower's gonna suck

Hey! Same party as mine! :hfive:

Yeah, I kept two-handed on my Berserkers during the entire run. Didn't bother with the triple-crown myself, or most of World 3. Speedrunning straight into the rift did seem scary, but Fork Tower looked much worse.

Don't make the mistake I made and have Lenna be the one to learn Iainuki!

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Mustard Iceman posted:

Fork Tower's gonna suck

A pretty strong argument could be made for:
- Equip Bows. Not only does it allow the Berserker to use some of the excellent bow weapons from the back row (I had a Berserker with a Hayate bow pulling off !Rapid Fires for a long time), but it gives them Ranger agility as well. Really helps speed them up without compromising their survivability much (they lose the shield, but gain back row).
- Equip Katanas, IF you give them the Masamune. The masamune makes the user go first in battle, which gets around the Berserker's criminally slow first turn. Of course, that means you can't use the Masamune to cast haste in battle, so eh.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

Bufuman posted:

Taking on Omega with a Chemist team is always doable, but it takes a lot of setup. Basically, you're going to want !Mix on everyone, and they'll all need either Hermes' Sandals or Flame Rings. First priority is getting Goliath Tonic (!Drink with the Chemist and Dragon Fang + Elixir !Mix for everyone else) and Dragon's Kiss (Dragon Fang + Maiden's Kiss). Double HP and Heavy Status will go a long way towards surviving his nastiest attacks. After that, Resist Fire (Ether + Eye Drops) on those wearing Hermes' Sandals or Hasty-ade (Eye Drops + Turtle Shell) on those with Flame Rings. Also throw in Levisalve (Antidote + Maiden's Kiss) in case he decides to throw off an Earth Shaker. Then you'll probably want some levels, so drop a few Dragon Powers (Dragon's Fang + Potion/Hi-Potion) to boost your level. Since you need to do all of this for all four characters, it's going to take a while.

After that, start in with Succubus' Kisses (Turtle Shell + Maiden's Kiss). This should hit for 1000+ with the Chemist and even more with the other three, since I believe they all have higher Magic stats. If you really want to get fancy, you can use a Dragon Defense mix (Dragon Fang + Phoenix Down) to give someone Reflect, then bounce Thundagas off of them.

The biggest things you've got to be careful of are Wave Cannon, Mustard Bomb, and Delta Attack. Wave Cannon is dropped extremely frequently, and is half your max HP in damage. Drop everything to get them back to full ASAP. Two of his three counters are nullified by being Heavy from Dragon's Kiss, but Mustard Bomb can easily KO anyone that's weak from a Wave Cannon (and will KO from full HP if you don't use Goliath Tonics). And Delta Attack's petrify is basically the same as dying. The problem with getting either petrified or KO'd is that you'll have to reapply most of that character's buffs; Goliath Tonic and levels gained through Dragon Power will persist through death, but everything else needs to be redone. Just make sure everyone stays healthy and you'll eventually win. Maybe go grind some levels out to help survive Mustard Bombs if you're still having trouble.

Wow, awesome. Thanks. Hopefully I can pull it off after lots of Elixir and Mix farming.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Three people on !Calm duty took awhile, but not too difficult.

BERSERKER :black101:

I actually had to take Shinryu out twice because I missed the photo op. Lenna was the only one standing at the end of both battles, but in the first go she ended the battle at full health after dodging like a dozen attacks so she could beat him to death with her dragon whisker. :whip:

I always have trouble beating Neo Exdeath with anything but the Reflect Rings, and I'm not sure why.

I like mixing magical and physical jobs but it seems like I mostly get just physical jobs. Maybe I'll do a 750 run next.

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

nope

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

what's your last job?

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

Nihilarian posted:

what's your last job?

Chemist. I guess I could toss in a few bucks to replace my Geomancer with literally any other class.

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.

David Corbett posted:

Chemist. I guess I could toss in a few bucks to replace my Geomancer with literally any other class.

Pick mime. It's for charity.

Novasol
Jul 27, 2006

G... Gilgabot, why...

:negative:

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
Jesus, did you kill Gilgabot's dog?

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Thing I noticed just now: since Galuf was my thief up until he left, he :argh: stole my thief's glove :argh: and took it with him to his world.

Is there another thief's glove around or should I just load a pre-archeoavis save and remove it from his equipment?

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
You can Steal one more pair of Thief's Gloves from a one-time enemy in the pyramids...and from the penultimate boss :downs:. Sorry!

Just killed World 2 Exdeath without taking a single point of damage. Doom had 6 seconds to go. Black Mage + Summoner is completely bonkers yo.

Novasol
Jul 27, 2006

neongrey posted:

Jesus, did you kill Gilgabot's dog?

I've already begun my sword dance training regimen.

So far the plan is as follows:

Dragoon does... Dragoon things. !Red for its ability, I guess.
Red Mage with Equip Ribbons, and give it the Rainbow Suit + Dancing Knife. Honorary Dancer.
Dancer with Maneater and !Jump. Never leaves the back row.
Dancer with Chicken Knife for maximum :commissar:

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

Novasol posted:

I've already begun my sword dance training regimen.

So far the plan is as follows:

Dragoon does... Dragoon things. !Red for its ability, I guess.
Red Mage with Equip Ribbons, and give it the Rainbow Suit + Dancing Knife. Honorary Dancer.
Dancer with Maneater and !Jump. Never leaves the back row.
Dancer with Chicken Knife for maximum :commissar:

There is a monster in a box to run away from in the tutorial house in Tule :ssh:

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
It'll be the prettiest Fiesta team around, anyway.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Mikl posted:

Thing I noticed just now: since Galuf was my thief up until he left, he :argh: stole my thief's glove :argh: and took it with him to his world.

Is there another thief's glove around or should I just load a pre-archeoavis save and remove it from his equipment?

Don't worry, you'll get that Thief's Glove back very shortly.

Novasol
Jul 27, 2006

zolthorg posted:

There is a monster in a box to run away from in the tutorial house in Tule :ssh:

I opened it for the treasure earlier :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

The most pointless triple crown ever, who grinds to level 75 to beat Shinryu with one Coral Ring and no Aegis Shield?

Big: http://i.imgur.com/GrZhNTr.jpg

• Locked thread