Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

bing_commander posted:

Here's some good merging lane assholery I saw today

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JlMFent0gXc

After all of that, notice how drat easy it is to merge onto this road. It's always that easy.

I'll never understand the need to be ONE CAR ahead. He could've just waited 30 seconds then passed him normally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

PaganGoatPants posted:

I'll never understand the need to be ONE CAR ahead. He could've just waited 30 seconds then passed him normally.

He didn't want to lose the race, duh.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
I'm so triggered right now I'm literally shaking (not really). Not yielding while merging is a peeve of mine though, especially when it's really obvious the lane is going away. People MUST drive all the way up to the end then they expect the rest of us to stop so they can slide over because :downs: welp the lane ends what else could I possibly do here :downs: I don't intentionally match speed with those people but I sure as poo poo don't slow down for them either.

e: Forgot to ask this, my KDlinks X1 keeps freezing up on me. Usually the whole unit just locks up, the screen even stays frozen when I turn the car off or unplug it until the battery runs out. Driving home Friday night the UI locked up but the camera kept feeding through to the rear screen, but all the buttons were still unresponsive and it still stayed on when the car turned off. This always seems to happen when it's trying to start a new file, like if I have it set to 3 minute files it locks up at just after 3 minutes, with 5 minute files it happens just after 5 minutes. I've never been able to notice any consistency about when it happens, could it still be just a bad mem card or am I looking at returning the whole unit. If I have to un-tuck the USB wire from my rear-view going down to the power plug I'm gonna be :argh:

vvv I'll give it a try, but like I said I haven't noticed any consistency with when it happens. Like one time it was raining and the temp dropped to like 74, still froze up. Other days it's 100+ all afternoon and it works fine.

Takes No Damage fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Jun 29, 2015

bing_commander
Aug 14, 2009

In other news..
Have you tried reseating the memory card? There's a lot of vibration and temperature changes in a car.

Wickerman
Feb 26, 2007

Boom, mothafucka!
I took this video on 6-26 and I just want to say...

Distracted driving can kill folks!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D8BBe_d-huQ

MiniFoo
Dec 25, 2006

METHAMPHETAMINE

I'll be the one to ask the rhetorical question. Was he towing a lawnmower with his bicycle?

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Takes No Damage posted:

e: Forgot to ask this, my KDlinks X1 keeps freezing up on me. Usually the whole unit just locks up, the screen even stays frozen when I turn the car off or unplug it until the battery runs out. Driving home Friday night the UI locked up but the camera kept feeding through to the rear screen, but all the buttons were still unresponsive and it still stayed on when the car turned off. This always seems to happen when it's trying to start a new file, like if I have it set to 3 minute files it locks up at just after 3 minutes, with 5 minute files it happens just after 5 minutes. I've never been able to notice any consistency about when it happens, could it still be just a bad mem card or am I looking at returning the whole unit. If I have to un-tuck the USB wire from my rear-view going down to the power plug I'm gonna be :argh:

It could just be a complete shithouse SD card. Do you have one from a camera or something you can try short-term? Would be valuable troubleshooting, anyway

Wickerman
Feb 26, 2007

Boom, mothafucka!

MiniFoo posted:

I'll be the one to ask the rhetorical question. Was he towing a lawnmower with his bicycle?

That's actually why I wasn't going any faster, lucky for him I was paying attention and didn't accelerate going down the hill.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Raluek posted:

It could just be a complete shithouse SD card. Do you have one from a camera or something you can try short-term? Would be valuable troubleshooting, anyway

That's what I ended up doing, it came with an 8GB card so I swapped that in, it's been running fine for a few days but I also dropped the resolution down to 720 so it might not be full yet either. I'll give it another few days and report back, but the fact that it kept locking up when it would try to start a new file, and only seemed to happen when the SD card was full, does make me suspect the card as well. If the 8GB keeps working I'll order at 16GB and kick it back up to 1080p, maybe 32 was just too many GBs for the unit to keep track of...

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Techmoan reviewed the Mini 0806. Doesnt seem to be that much of an improvement over the 0803/5 besides the ability to fit a CPF (which is going to kill the decent low light these cameras have)

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Wickerman posted:

That's actually why I wasn't going any faster, lucky for him I was paying attention and didn't accelerate going down the hill.

I like how he waved to thank you for not smashing him.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Kind of a weak start, but I finally got my dashcam setup in one vehicle - have to mount on in the other, but now that I've made the mounts, that part is easy. Only decent clip today was some ingenious maneuvering in order to make their exit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f6DyNFcRjA8

(Personally, I've always been more the "keep going and circle back" type.)

Also, jeep drivetrain vibrations have HILARIOUS effects on video output.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Oh, I forgot one!

Classic BMW drivering:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RVFFlpJXccs

Wickerman
Feb 26, 2007

Boom, mothafucka!
That's an interesting decal on your hood.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Wickerman posted:

I like the Roadrunner 'meep meep'

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

spog posted:

It sounds like he's acquiring missile lock on the BMW

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Wickerman posted:

Thank you.

spog posted:

NoWake posted:

It sounds like he's acquiring missile lock on the BMW
I realized pretty early that most of my dashcam videos would probably feature that sound - the mount for my dashcam attaches to the mount for it. I'm cool with it, but I know it's not for everyone.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
What is it? A radar detector?

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

PT6A posted:

What is it? A radar detector?
Yeah, sorry. Valentine One mounted with a BlendMount under the rear view.

fps_bill
Apr 6, 2012

Anyone else have problems with the K1s restarting and poo poo at random times? I've sort of tuned it out now, but it's still annoying.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Wickerman posted:

He wanted to be impressive, and... scary tends to impress.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I'm going to be doing a cross country trip around the week of Labor Day. My route has me on the road for about 60 hours. I think it would be neat to do a time lapse, is this something a dash cam could handle?

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

FogHelmut posted:

I'm going to be doing a cross country trip around the week of Labor Day. My route has me on the road for about 60 hours. I think it would be neat to do a time lapse, is this something a dash cam could handle?

Not all in one go. If the SD card in your camera is big enough, you might be able to copy off the files to a laptop each day, and not miss anything.

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

Put a glide in your stride and a dip in your hip and come on up to the mothership.
A mobius can record in time lapse mode. You won't get full speed video at the same time though.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

You'd be best off just recording it all normally, archiving to something that won't get overwritten as needed, and then running that video through something like Hyperlapse.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

So is everyone buying the Mobius, or is there any reasons not to get the Mini 0805/0806?

buttcrackmenace
Nov 14, 2007

see its right there in the manual where it says
Grimey Drawer

FogHelmut posted:

So is everyone buying the Mobius, or is there any reasons not to get the Mini 0805/0806?

unless you need or desire GPS functionality (for speed or coordinate display) a Mobius with a supercap and a good SD card is pretty damned bulletproof. I've had mine in my daily-driver POS Durango for the better part of two years now. Zero issues, it just works.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

FogHelmut posted:

Not sure if other dash cams do a much better job of compression on the raw recording, but my G1W can store just over 4 hours of video before it starts over-writing old footage - on a 32gb SD card. So yea, you'll need some way to download that to a much larger storage device on a pretty regular basis since 60 hours = 480gb of footage on my dash cam.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Four hours is probably a really good time to stop and stretch your legs anyway.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

FogHelmut posted:

My brother and I tried to do this on the trip from San Antonio to Seattle with a gopro, and it actually worked kinda ok. You'll have issues with the battery if you can't get a power cable to it with it mounted up, though; the camera doesn't really have a low power mode for time lapses, it runs at full power and basically captures a still every x seconds.

Hermaphrodite
Oct 2, 2004

Luckily, I CAN go fuck myself!
This can't possibly be a good idea https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s5oCbTXTa9I

Spatule
Mar 18, 2003

FogHelmut posted:

The 0801 is terrible from a construction point of view. The base that houses the gps has a crappy mini usb connector and the link to the camera itself won't survive more than 20 couplings.
Not sure if this was fixed on the later models.

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

I went from an 0802 to an 0806 because the 0802 started dying (purple streaks in the video). I actually like these cameras because they have a great form factor. The 0806 is a bit hard to find and has some lens focus issues but the 0805 is probably a good safe bet with lots of supplies/deals.

Spatule posted:

The 0801 is terrible from a construction point of view. The base that houses the gps has a crappy mini usb connector and the link to the camera itself won't survive more than 20 couplings.
Not sure if this was fixed on the later models.

This hasn't been a problem with either of mine. You never disconnect the usb because the mount is semi-permanently mounted to your windscreen so no need to unplug it. The camera mount to the base has improved with later models for sure. It's not going to last a lifetime but no other camera will either.

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

He must go through two pairs of shoes a day doing that (and also never change gear or use the rear brake). His walky legs at the end did go well with the jaunty tune though.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Finally got around to sorting out a dashcam for my car, in the end I went with the capacitor version of the B40 A118, which was reviewed by Techmoan here.

Its certainly one of the more inconspicuous cameras, in fact a work colleague thought it was just a light and rain sensor for automatic lights and wipers (which my car doesn't have for better or worse), and I'm quite pleased with it so far.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hCJO_lWfCms

It also seems to handle direct sunlight and glare pretty well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6XpgWQzFY4

Lord Ludikrous fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Jul 11, 2015

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

Put a glide in your stride and a dip in your hip and come on up to the mothership.

Probably a better idea than doing the opposite.
https://youtu.be/UIYGokm9VPk

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
With a smaller memory card my Kdlinks has been solid, so I was about to conclude that my 32GB card was just a bad unit, but then I got this in my email:

Kdlinks posted:

We just released a new firmware with a lot of enhancements for X1. It's very easy to install, only take a minute. Please unzip that firmware and follow our instruction inside to do the update. Feature change list is inside the firmware zip file. If you are using 32GB card, we highly recommend this new firmware for your X1 dash camera. This new firmware has fully resolved the random 32GB card compatibility freezing issue.

New firmware Download link: https://kdlinks.box.com/s/wu4bu5ilq229hvrgwajc9g363fw9o5g4

Haven't tried it yet but it sure sounds like the exact issue I was seeing. Other than the freezing with the 32GB card it's been a fine camera, assuming this update fixes that issue I can recommend it as well for people still shopping around.

ijustam
Jun 20, 2005

oxbrain posted:

Probably a better idea than doing the opposite.
https://youtu.be/UIYGokm9VPk

I thought this would be a video of someone on a motorcycle idling towards a stop light at 2 mph swerving around so they don't have to put their feet down. Holy poo poo that drives me insane.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

ijustam posted:

I thought this would be a video of someone on a motorcycle idling towards a stop light at 2 mph swerving around so they don't have to put their feet down. Holy poo poo that drives me insane.

my personal favorite is fixie rider who sit at the lights maintaining balance on the pedals while their calf muscles try not to self-immolate from the load. it looks hilarious and accomplishes nothing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

Laserface posted:

my personal favorite is fixie rider who sit at the lights maintaining balance on the pedals while their calf muscles try not to self-immolate from the load. it looks hilarious and accomplishes nothing.

How weak are we talking here? Regular riding has turned my calves into rocks.