Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

i kept pulling aggro off of my DK mt

Congratulations, you've been promoted from OT to MT. Enjoy the pay raise senpai's attention.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zilkin
Jan 9, 2009
Can you play through the othe two cities starting questlines somehow?

Edit: with one character.

Zilkin fucked around with this message at 12:22 on Jul 11, 2015

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

seorin posted:

It obviously requires luck, but I've hit 8/8 just by doing Utmost Caution + Single Mind + Impulsive twice, then two more impulsive (or impulsive and then methodical if it procced). If at least 3 of them proc, it should be 8/8. I have 576 perception, though (and try to use food buffs on top of that). It's not really worth it because you don't seem to get anything special from it, just landborne/leafborne aethersand, which don't seem to have a use currently. They probably will eventually though so I'm tempted to buy up all the cheap ones on the mb.

I'll play around with that rotation some today and see how it goes. Thanks!

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

Zilkin posted:

Actually, I kinda want to know this as well. I made a test character on another server to check my fantasia's appearance and was forced to go through the opening cutscenes.

I'm just saying Limsa Lominsa's opening is way better than Gridania's. :stare:

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You
I just hit 50 on a new character. Are Mythrite items worth buying from the AH or will the MSQ supply me with gear?

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Givin posted:

I just hit 50 on a new character. Are Mythrite items worth buying from the AH or will the MSQ supply me with gear?

The latter. MSQ will keep you up to date.

Smart Car
Mar 31, 2011

Zilkin posted:

The 1-15 main story questlines are all completely based on what city you started in, the only way to see the other two is to create characters that start in those cities unfortunately.

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

seorin posted:

It obviously requires luck, but I've hit 8/8 just by doing Utmost Caution + Single Mind + Impulsive twice, then two more impulsive (or impulsive and then methodical if it procced). If at least 3 of them proc, it should be 8/8. I have 576 perception, though (and try to use food buffs on top of that). It's not really worth it because you don't seem to get anything special from it, just landborne/leafborne aethersand, which don't seem to have a use currently. They probably will eventually though so I'm tempted to buy up all the cheap ones on the mb.

Just to tack on to this, after ten gathers I'm probably going to stick with this rotation; at a minimum with no procs if gives 4/8, with one proc 6/8 or 7/8, and with two or three procs 8/8 while also giving 2 gathers.

Thanks seorin!

fakeedit: after one proc I just got two 8/8s so yeah this is the correct rotation

Tarranon
Oct 10, 2007

Diggity Dog

Sendo posted:

No, the new monk skills were just poorly thought out and form shift makes the rest of them redundant for almost all current content outside of Ravana Ex.

I got to use purify legitimately in A4 , the dream is still alive

Also elixir field owns, forbidden chakra is pretty good. gently caress tornado kick. Even when you do it right it's not very satisfying and the only time I've used it while buffed is Ravana ex burn phases.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Sendo posted:

No, the new monk skills were just poorly thought out and form shift makes the rest of them redundant for almost all current content outside of Ravana Ex.

Oh well, at least they all look cool I suppose, and literally being a DBZ is amusing. :shobon:

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
If you're looking for a quick reference on when crafter/gatherer gear upgrades, this is your path:

51 Gear
52 Primary Tool
53 Secondary Tool/Gear
54 Accessories
55 Primary Tool/Gear
56 Secondary Tool
57 Primary Tool
59 Secondary Tool/Accessories
60 Primary Tool/Gear

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Tarranon posted:

I got to use purify legitimately in A4 , the dream is still alive

Also elixir field owns, forbidden chakra is pretty good. gently caress tornado kick. Even when you do it right it's not very satisfying and the only time I've used it while buffed is Ravana ex burn phases.

RIP 500 potency Tornado Kick.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Mordiceius posted:

If you're looking for a quick reference on when crafter/gatherer gear upgrades, this is your path:

51 Gear
52 Primary Tool
53 Secondary Tool/Gear
54 Accessories
55 Primary Tool/Gear
56 Secondary Tool
57 Primary Tool
60 Primary Tool/Gear

Can you actually vendor any of this or is it all market board?

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Ciaphas posted:

All crafted/market board.

You can buy some gatherer tools from vendors but that is it.

ALSO - Maps are an awesome source of HQ crafting mats and crystals.

[9:11]You obtain 10 Allagan tomestones of poetics.
[9:11]You obtain a tuft of rush grass.
[9:11]You obtain 6 draconian potions of dexterity HQ.
[9:11]You obtain 210 wind crystals.
[9:11]You obtain 5 handfuls of titanium rivets HQ.
[9:11]You obtain 5 bolts of holy rainbow cloth HQ.
[9:11]You obtain 5 bottles of holy water HQ.
[9:11]You obtain 1,993 gil.

Griz
May 21, 2001

the vendor in Moghome has the 55 left side
offhand and right side is crafted only

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

Level 59 off hands are sold in (Minor story spoiler) Matoya's Cave

Also don't forget about the main/offhand items given as quest rewards.

Silvergun1000
Sep 17, 2007

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.

ps am no frog posted:

I find this hard to believe. You don't mention very much about how you tested it or the sample size. I find it super unlikely someone at i175 has bigger dot ticks than me when I have i180. Maybe there is some weird side stat fuckery but my dot doesnt even tick for 500 on a crit. Did you test this for more than like 2 ticks.

Dots will mash into one big pile that ticks for a combined damage though it shouldn't do it from two different sources but maybe it does now.

We were watching the numbers through quite a few Lead Shot durations. They definitely weren't crits, those were hitting for over 600. The methodology was really simple, the other MCH would hit the dummy and we'd watch his 250s pop up, then I'd Lead Shot it and watch 500+s popup. Like I said in the other post, when I swapped down to 170 gear, I was getting similar damage to him. Not sure why you'd be seeing lower numbers than what I'm getting, are you talking about DoT ticks on a target dummy for consistency's sake?

Andrew Verse
Mar 30, 2011

Silvergun1000 posted:

We were watching the numbers through quite a few Lead Shot durations. They definitely weren't crits, those were hitting for over 600. The methodology was really simple, the other MCH would hit the dummy and we'd watch his 250s pop up, then I'd Lead Shot it and watch 500+s popup. Like I said in the other post, when I swapped down to 170 gear, I was getting similar damage to him. Not sure why you'd be seeing lower numbers than what I'm getting, are you talking about DoT ticks on a target dummy for consistency's sake?

With one Lead Shot on the target the game reports 250 damage hits, and with two Lead Shots on the target it reports 500 damage hits? I see what's going on there.

Pews
Mar 7, 2006

one thousand years of anime
Grimey Drawer

Ciaphas posted:

quote:

51 Gear
52 Primary Tool vendor in Tailfeather
53 Secondary Tool/Gear
54 Accessories
55 Primary Tool/Gear Pray Return to Moghome vendor
56 Secondary Tool
57 Primary Tool cheap buy off MB (or 58 quest) (also vanu vendor)
58 script gear vendor
60 Primary Tool/Gear Azys Lla vendor

That's just from memory so pray forgive me if I'm mistaken.

e: added vvvv

Pews fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Jul 11, 2015

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
You forgot the level 58 set that can be gotten by redeeming scrips. Adept's set, I think. Also the NQ level 60 mainhands can be gotten from Azys Lla vendor.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Only people that wear normal quality crafter gear are scrubs. :colbert:

Willias
Sep 3, 2008

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

i kept pulling aggro off of my DK mt (as War) during ravana so eventually i had to skip entire gcds

what is the actual way to not take aggro off of bad tanks?

How much STR are you stacking? How much STR is he stacking? Is he using enough of his threat combo? Is he using Grit? Are you dpsing while in Defiance? Are you mashing the absolute poo poo out of your threat combo?

If none of your other DPS are coming close to pulling threat off of the "bad" tank, that generally says something more about what you're doing than what he's doing.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

If you have similar item levels and weapon you are just shameful to lose hate to a tank in an offensive stance.

If you're in content that you outgear a tank to the level where you can't help but pull hate in an offensive stance you're probably in content that you should be main tanking in an offensive stance in the first place.

Mr. Nice! fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Jul 11, 2015

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

Willias posted:

How much STR are you stacking? How much STR is he stacking? Is he using enough of his threat combo? Is he using Grit? Are you dpsing while in Defiance? Are you mashing the absolute poo poo out of your threat combo?

If none of your other DPS are coming close to pulling threat off of the "bad" tank, that generally says something more about what you're doing than what he's doing.

All Str right side (across like 25 ilvls), all stats into Str. I was going 1-1-1 Path-Eye-Block in Deliverance and steadily swapping aggro with him after 6-7 combos. I couldn't slow down too much or else I'd drop down to 3rd.

Silvergun1000
Sep 17, 2007

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.

Andrew Verse posted:

With one Lead Shot on the target the game reports 250 damage hits, and with two Lead Shots on the target it reports 500 damage hits? I see what's going on there.

Nope, they were not up at the same time, and at any rate, that's not how the game reports damage.

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
I'm really looking forward to getting my ilvl back up, I have all these sweet new combos to use but I barely get to use them except on bosses because I can lose aggro fairly quickly to the DPS are really unloading.

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

Silvergun1000 posted:

Nope, they were not up at the same time, and at any rate, that's not how the game reports damage.
At this point you're either full of poo poo, misremembering or in denial. Record it or something

kafziel
Nov 11, 2009

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

All Str right side (across like 25 ilvls), all stats into Str. I was going 1-1-1 Path-Eye-Block in Deliverance and steadily swapping aggro with him after 6-7 combos. I couldn't slow down too much or else I'd drop down to 3rd.

If you're not MTing or prepping for swaps, it's okay to skip the Block combo. Path-Eye is 200 potency per GCD, Path-Eye-Block is 203. Not much of a loss, and no risk of that happening.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Path? That's only needed on one or two fights. Eye->BB all day long.

Kalion
Jul 23, 2004

:gifttank:
Panzer vor!

ilifinicus posted:

At this point you're either full of poo poo, misremembering or in denial. Record it or something

I just tested this with an I190 weapon and overall i180 with gauss barrel on and hit a tarantula hawk (level 58) with lead shot and then sheathed my weapon. Every tick hit for around 280-289 except for one which hit for 400 so I assume that was a crit tick. So yeah, not seeing this effect either.

psymonkey
May 22, 2006

This post is full of pretty awesome holes. I like all the holes in this post.

ilifinicus posted:

There were about 5 people standing around watching it happen just like he describes it and all were equally puzzled. But other people on reddit are saying 500 is impossible in i180 so I dunno maybe it's a visual bug or something

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

Mr. Nice! posted:

Path? That's only needed on one or two fights. Eye->BB all day long.

Wouldn't this have made my problem worse?

Klades
Sep 8, 2011

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

One thing to realize is that the optimal Drk rotation involves never using their enmity combo ever, which is generally sufficient unless undergeared or the OT is spamming threat

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

Klades posted:

One thing to realize is that the optimal Drk rotation involves never using their enmity combo ever, which is generally sufficient unless undergeared or the OT is spamming threat

Maybe in single tank content or something but I'm pretty sure it's better overall dps if you use your enmity combo enough and absorb the slight dmg per gcd loss compared to having your OT skip entire GCDs.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Have you considered that the DRK was just really bad

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
in great detail, yes.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Does crafting/gathering get any less tedious? I mean I'm not expecting fountains of fun but do they get fun questlines to make up for it at least?

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
Like one or two dark arts 123 enmity combo should give him enough of a threat lead. Why are you full STR anyways? I guess since it's normal mode? As hard as these bosses hit in normal I think both tanks are going to have to be in full vit with any kind of tanking being required in savage.

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde

Niton posted:

Use WTFast, it completely fixes things since it hides the game's traffic from the (netflix) throttling.

I didn't realize WTFast had a free option; are the video ads obnoxious on it?

MarquiseMindfang posted:

You forgot the level 58 set that can be gotten by redeeming scrips. Adept's set, I think. Also the NQ level 60 mainhands can be gotten from Azys Lla vendor.

I'm not sure I see the point in the scrip gear. It's a lot of work for something you can flat out buy better versions of.

Celery Jello fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Jul 11, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

Holyshoot posted:

Like one or two dark arts 123 enmity combo should give him enough of a threat lead. Why are you full STR anyways? I guess since it's normal mode? As hard as these bosses hit in normal I think both tanks are going to have to be in full vit with any kind of tanking being required in savage.

You get enough Vit naturally and in Defiance with cooldowns that you can take pretty much everything in NM and still be okay, but mostly it's just because full Str is a lot more convenient for leveling.

• Locked thread