Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

coupedeville posted:

also lawl @ magmarashi confirmed forums babby git gud scrub

They should really add that the the rules page, I actually check that regularly for any changes, but I only bother looking at my favorited threads in the usercp. Egg on my face!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
The big problem(s) with Starbound is basically what everyone's said already: that it has no idea what it wants to be. It feels like it's afraid to really set out on its own, but neither does it settle in towards a more familiar and reliable comfort zone. If it was just Terraria with worldjumping and a space theme it could have been incredible and fun, and if it had truly broken out and tried all new stuff it could have been really fun too, or at least, if it failed then, it could have said it tried. As it is it feels like it doesn't want to take any chances, so it's playing both sides against the middle and nothing good is coming from that.

It has totally randomized enemies, with no distinct loot tables. So you miss one of the fundamental parts of Terraria, which is getting solid rewards for killing enemies. Gel from slimes to make torches, hooks from skeletons to make grappling hooks, useful accessories from miscellaneous mobs, even building blocks and decorations. Hunting mobs in Starbound is basically pointless. You don't get anything from them worth caring about. In Terraria, every kill feels like it could go towards something. Hell, in the latest update, you get banners every 50 kills which look snazzy, act as trophies, and even give player bonuses.
So Starbound severs all that to have randomized enemies, but then it doesn't offer anything new to compensate, because it's too scared to go out and do something crazy with it. The enemies could be totally bizarre and have weird attacks and movement patterns, making all of them unique and weird and fun, but it's worried about "balance" and poo poo and has the player die in like 3 hits even with armor, so these unpredictable and fun enemy patterns/abilities don't matter. Everything just runs at you.

(In fact, Starbound has basically no loot tables to speak of, and even most chests lack anything interesting. When was the last time you opened a treasure chest in Starbound and actually went "Ooh!"? The only thing I guess I've ever liked finding is an instrument, and that's just so I can dick around with ABC songs. A game like this without loot is crippled.)

By that same token, Terraria has premade weapons. But by the time you get to the endgame, you've seen all kinds of wild poo poo. Bows that shoot swarms of bees. Magic launchers that create killer rainbows. Firework staves and huge flaming swords and mouse-controlled magic missiles and huge swinging flails of shadow and chainguns and stake-launchers and piranha guns and even crazier stuff. So everything's premade, and it's never different, but it gives you so much opportunity to see really wild effects.
In Starbound, they go for randomized weapons, but again, they're afraid to go wild with it. So like 99% of weapons are just boring garbage. "Here's a sword. Here's a sword that's slightly stronger, but slower". They want to have things both ways, so they also have preset weapons, but as a result, they're the only ones that matter, and they're all boring as hell. They're so basic and uninteresting, but all the random ones are just as plain. There are like half a dozen "special" melee weapons in the game, but those are all premade and only have variable stats. Finding a bone-launching axe-club thing was awesome, until I realized it wasn't randomly generated, and that effect was one of the only ones that existed. It felt very much like Borderlands syndrome, where you got random guns, but they were almost all just slight stat differences, and the only truly unique stuff (bouncing bullets, spiral shot patterns, etc) were restricted to unique, premade weapons, rather than thrown whole-hog into the randomized pools.

Starbound wants it both ways, but it doesn't manage either one.
It's got two options for redemption at this point: either go loving wild with your random generation and revel in it, stop holding back and worrying about fitting a standard and just let the weirdness of the universe take over and define the game -- or rip out all the held-back random weapons/enemies entirely and go fully premade like Terraria does, so you can more carefully balance and differentiate the equipment.
But for both paths, make the poo poo you add different. Stop with the boring "different only in stats" weapons, stop with the constant "walks at you to hurt you" enemies. Terraria has so many examples of success in both enemies and equipment, surely Starbound could do something with everything they have. Whether they go randomized or preset, they could succeed, but they need variety. Right now for all their touted generation their content is more samey than anything, and everything handles the same way.

Or hell, throw that all out the window (like a lot of people who play to relax or enjoy with their kids already do) and just focus on beefing up exploring and building. There's a lot to be said about that, but when every planet of the same biome feels exactly the same, what's the point of visiting more than one? Sorting into biomes shouldn't make for identical planets, just for broad themes.
And speaking of going only halfway, building itself is a perfect example. We have all these decorations, hundreds of furniture/deco items and building materials that all look really nice and could make for a pretty fun base! But the crafting menu is a mess and the only way to get 90% of the items in the game is to visit a village and just steal entire loving houses. Oh, did you find a really nice looking block you want to make your base with? Well you have to find someone ELSE'S base first and rip the whole thing up, because you can't even craft walls, let alone dressers and tables.

Stop holding back and just do something. Jesus.

Vib Rib fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Jul 12, 2015

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i remember when they held that contest where people designed creatures to put in the game and a lot of the better suggestions looked really good. i'd vastly prefer having poo poo like that over the loving pointless enemies made out of interchangeable duplo blocks the game has now.

nexas
Sep 4, 2009

nope

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

i remember when they held that contest where people designed creatures to put in the game and a lot of the better suggestions looked really good. i'd vastly prefer having poo poo like that over the loving pointless enemies made out of interchangeable duplo blocks the game has now.

I remember when there were plans to have guest monsters like creepers and diggles: https://twitter.com/tiyuri/status/224929380504317953

pwnyXpress
Mar 28, 2007
you know guys I've givven it alot a thought and the one of starbounds main problems is

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Vib Rib posted:

The big problem(s) with Starbound is basically what everyone's said already: that it has no idea what it wants to be. It feels like it's afraid to really set out on its own, but neither does it settle in towards a more familiar and reliable comfort zone. If it was just Terraria with worldjumping and a space theme it could have been incredible and fun, and if it had truly broken out and tried all new stuff it could have been really fun too, or at least, if it failed then, it could have said it tried. As it is it feels like it doesn't want to take any chances, so it's playing both sides against the middle and nothing good is coming from that.

It has totally randomized enemies, with no distinct loot tables. So you miss one of the fundamental parts of Terraria, which is getting solid rewards for killing enemies. Gel from slimes to make torches, hooks from skeletons to make grappling hooks, useful accessories from miscellaneous mobs, even building blocks and decorations. Hunting mobs in Starbound is basically pointless. You don't get anything from them worth caring about. In Terraria, every kill feels like it could go towards something. Hell, in the latest update, you get banners every 50 kills which look snazzy, act as trophies, and even give player bonuses.
So Starbound severs all that to have randomized enemies, but then it doesn't offer anything new to compensate, because it's too scared to go out and do something crazy with it. The enemies could be totally bizarre and have weird attacks and movement patterns, making all of them unique and weird and fun, but it's worried about "balance" and poo poo and has the player die in like 3 hits even with armor, so these unpredictable and fun enemy patterns/abilities don't matter. Everything just runs at you.

(In fact, Starbound has basically no loot tables to speak of, and even most chests lack anything interesting. When was the last time you opened a treasure chest in Starbound and actually went "Ooh!"? The only thing I guess I've ever liked finding is an instrument, and that's just so I can dick around with ABC songs. A game like this without loot is crippled.)

By that same token, Terraria has premade weapons. But by the time you get to the endgame, you've seen all kinds of wild poo poo. Bows that shoot swarms of bees. Magic launchers that create killer rainbows. Firework staves and huge flaming swords and mouse-controlled magic missiles and huge swinging flails of shadow and chainguns and stake-launchers and piranha guns and even crazier stuff. So everything's premade, and it's never different, but it gives you so much opportunity to see really wild effects.
In Starbound, they go for randomized weapons, but again, they're afraid to go wild with it. So like 99% of weapons are just boring garbage. "Here's a sword. Here's a sword that's slightly stronger, but slower". They want to have things both ways, so they also have preset weapons, but as a result, they're the only ones that matter, and they're all boring as hell. They're so basic and uninteresting, but all the random ones are just as plain. There are like half a dozen "special" melee weapons in the game, but those are all premade and only have variable stats. Finding a bone-launching axe-club thing was awesome, until I realized it wasn't randomly generated, and that effect was one of the only ones that existed. It felt very much like Borderlands syndrome, where you got random guns, but they were almost all just slight stat differences, and the only truly unique stuff (bouncing bullets, spiral shot patterns, etc) were restricted to unique, premade weapons, rather than thrown whole-hog into the randomized pools.

Starbound wants it both ways, but it doesn't manage either one.
It's got two options for redemption at this point: either go loving wild with your random generation and revel in it, stop holding back and worrying about fitting a standard and just let the weirdness of the universe take over and define the game -- or rip out all the held-back random weapons/enemies entirely and go fully premade like Terraria does, so you can more carefully balance and differentiate the equipment.
But for both paths, make the poo poo you add different. Stop with the boring "different only in stats" weapons, stop with the constant "walks at you to hurt you" enemies. Terraria has so many examples of success in both enemies and equipment, surely Starbound could do something with everything they have. Whether they go randomized or preset, they could succeed, but they need variety. Right now for all their touted generation their content is more samey than anything, and everything handles the same way.

Or hell, throw that all out the window (like a lot of people who play to relax or enjoy with their kids already do) and just focus on beefing up exploring and building. There's a lot to be said about that, but when every planet of the same biome feels exactly the same, what's the point of visiting more than one? Sorting into biomes shouldn't make for identical planets, just for broad themes.
And speaking of going only halfway, building itself is a perfect example. We have all these decorations, hundreds of furniture/deco items and building materials that all look really nice and could make for a pretty fun base! But the crafting menu is a mess and the only way to get 90% of the items in the game is to visit a village and just steal entire loving houses. Oh, did you find a really nice looking block you want to make your base with? Well you have to find someone ELSE'S base first and rip the whole thing up, because you can't even craft walls, let alone dressers and tables.

Lol

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

pwnyXpress posted:

you know guys I've givven it alot a thought and the one of starbounds main problems is
it's bad game

(this is the short version)

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown
I've thought a lot about how to fix Starbound's problems and the biggest issue is that Chucklefish hasn't.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

starbound's biggest problem is that magic rules and being a space wizard would have been way more baller than "tech"

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
It's like they thought "hey Terraria but with space ships and lots of planets would be cool" then took out the Terraria part and thought about literally nothing else. Yeah the game being able to generate like quintillions of different planets is cool and all and exploring was fun for a bit but...well...there just wasn't anything to discover. The monsters were all functionally identical, every planet had every ore type, and the only things I could really build were a cobblebrick house and a garden of fancy trees and potatoes.

I never thought it was possible to make an exploration game so drat boring.

Then they added that stupid as hell gating. That drat mine level with the gem at the end is probably one of the stupidest things I've ever seen put in a video game. Yeah the whole "OK you're a space hobo with a nonfunctional ship and you have to fix it" but the way that was handled was awful. OK, dig all the way down for core fragments! Because people quit digging deep and we didn't like that. Oh, you want to do anything else at all with core fragments? Nope, you just fix your ship with them and now they have no use at all.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown
I feel like every Minecraft/Terraria type of game should allow you to establish multiple spawn points in a world that you can warp between. The re-treading is always, always the worst part of these things and I'm surprised it's not more common.

EDIT - Who will update again first: Starbound or Cube World? Place your bets.

Rocketlex fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Jul 12, 2015

pwnyXpress
Mar 28, 2007
Guys here's my plan to make Starbound better:

*posts this thread and the previous one in their entirety*

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

Vib Rib posted:

the sad thing about weapons is that one dude who posts in this thread has come up with dozens and dozens of pretty unique and really cool designs that do all sorts of fun stuff like that bone club, but they all felt unique and special unto themselves which was awesome

it really is a shame that they didn't put more effort or focus into really nailing specific features and instead wound up with an enormous list of ideas with about as much depth as a sheet of paper they could be listed on

it's like bethesda/oblivion syndrome, companies leaving too much up to the modding community without really nailing their base product

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms

oddium posted:

starbound's biggest problem is that magic rules and being a space wizard would have been way more baller than "tech"

lol no
gently caress magic

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

starbounds biggest problem is the devs realized working sucks and that millionaires dont have to

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

The brilliance of my posting illuminates the forums like a jar of shining gold when all around is dark

Vib Rib posted:

it's bad game

(this is the short version)

You know, a lot of people in the Terraria thread are unhappy with the Medusa. (Fortunately the new patch made the Medusa just loving BULLSHIT and not COMPLETELY GAME-BREAKING UNFAIR TOTAL loving BULLSHIT) But I actively like the Medusas. I hunted exactly 101 Medusas last night on a new character and even though I didn't get the goddamn Medusa Head weapon, I still had fun. It wasn't tedious grinding, it was challenging gameplay. The thing about them stoning you in midair, breaking your grapple, canceling your triple jumps and flight, I love that stuff because it makes a Medusa fight unlike anything else in the game.

Starbound needs a couple of enemy types that completely change the way you play the game if you even think there might be one nearby.

scuba school sucks fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Jul 13, 2015

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

yeah I saw that in the T thread, bunch of weenies

My favorite are the dudes whining about how it catches them in their hellevators and causes them to fall and die lol. Just put some water or some cobwebs at the bottom goddamn

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider
They fixed the Medusa in a quick patch. She now needs line of sight, distance isn't infinite and she makes a noise when she tries to petrify the player.

Time to fix bad thing: it took about a week.

Twinty Zuleps
May 10, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy

Kly posted:

starbounds biggest problem is the devs realized working sucks and that millionaires dont have to

Terraria dev is a millionaire now and he couldn't stop working even when he tried to

It is his curse to keep making a good game better

foreverrr

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Wulfolme posted:

Terraria dev is a millionaire now and he couldn't stop working even when he tried to

It is his curse to keep making a good game better

foreverrr

I can think of a lot of worse things than "has a million dollars, just programs games all day."

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

ToxicSlurpee posted:

I can think of a lot of worse things than "has a million dollars, just programs games all day."

Has a million dollars, programs Starbound all day?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

How close is the mobile version of Terraria to the regular version?

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
artists should not make or be in charge of making things that require teams of people to make it just doesn't fit with their personality.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

It's identical up to a point, but the PC version then just keeps going. It has like twice as many bosses and enemies, each of which allows you to get stronger and crazier equipment which prepares you for the next round of even more bananas bosses and enemies. There's almost twice the content in the PC version. Also I believe the mobile version has somewhat reduced enemy spawn rates or some such to compensate for the touchscreen controls. I believe mobile has some variations in equipment names and tile appearances, but I'm really not sure what all they are.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Reason posted:

artists should not make or be in charge of making things that require teams of people to make it just doesn't fit with their personality.

I work on teams of artists under the management of other artists at Disney and we ship poo poo all the time. Don't pin regular old mismanagement as "an artist thing".

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

IIRC it's the same as the console version, which is a branched development path that I think has parity to 1.2? It might be pre-1.2.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Hey, so how is it that Terraria is 98mb, but Starbound is something like +2gb? I know there's more music in SB, but... not THAT much music.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Hey, so how is it that Terraria is 98mb, but Starbound is something like +2gb? I know there's more music in SB, but... not THAT much music.

Chucklefish doesn't know how the gently caress to

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

The biggest portion is the main pak file and then giraffe_storage. The music is actually a big part of that, like ~70% of the unpacked main pak is music and sound effects. Unrelated, but I've spent tons of time trying to mod in a pseudo clip system for the guns, but I think it might not be possible. I can't figure out how to get weapons to override stats like armor does, which is annoying as hell. Maybe I can fire off a lua script that overrides your energy stat when a weapon is equipped or something? Does anyone know where the spawn frequency for the ore clumps is located and how the frequency is determined?

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Wild guess, but it's probably all totally uncompressed. Sound files can get pretty huge, and might be picking up the slack where the relatively simple graphics are smaller. The executable itself might be super unoptimized, too? I'm not at my gaming PC to look at the folder.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

victrix posted:

Has a million dollars, programs Starbound all day?

You say that like Chucklefish has anybody doing anything other than walking into the office, farting on a keyboard, and leaving.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Played Terraria 1.3

Terraria is good.

Starbound is bad.

robodex
Jun 6, 2007

They're what's for dinner

is this why it takes roughly 7 years to load

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

deadly_pudding posted:

Wild guess, but it's probably all totally uncompressed. Sound files can get pretty huge, and might be picking up the slack where the relatively simple graphics are smaller. The executable itself might be super unoptimized, too? I'm not at my gaming PC to look at the folder.

:colbert: If they aren't using .ogg for in-game audio and music playback, then I don't know what the gently caress is wrong with them.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
We said it was important that moving from one planet to another takes 2 real time minutes. We certainly can't undo that now. We'd look like fools. The same goes with all our other bad decisions.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Vib Rib posted:

We said it was important that moving from one planet to another takes 2 real time minutes. We certainly can't undo that now. We'd look like fools. The same goes with all our other bad decisions.

I wouldn't mind the warping downtime so much if it was even slightly interesting. Like, I used to play EVE Online in college. There's a shitload of downtime in that game as you warp across star systems, especially if you're like me and you drove a space truck. It's kind of cool, though, because you get to watch the planets and stars whiz past you as you go by them.

In Starbound I literally have my character go to sleep while the ship is in warp.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

deadly_pudding posted:

I wouldn't mind the warping downtime so much if it was even slightly interesting. Like, I used to play EVE Online in college. There's a shitload of downtime in that game as you warp across star systems, especially if you're like me and you drove a space truck. It's kind of cool, though, because you get to watch the planets and stars whiz past you as you go by them.

In Starbound I literally have my character go to sleep while the ship is in warp.

In EVE you probably also are in a corporation and warping around with Goons was...a rather interesting experience. We'd get drunk and talk about donges and buttes for hours.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

ToxicSlurpee posted:

In EVE you probably also are in a corporation and warping around with Goons was...a rather interesting experience. We'd get drunk and talk about donges and buttes for hours.

Yeah, drunkchat with goonfleet helped a lot, too, especially for ops where I was just sitting in an asteroid belt waiting for people to barf their ore into my cargo hold.

God dammit why do I keep playing space games

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

deadly_pudding posted:

Yeah, drunkchat with goonfleet helped a lot, too, especially for ops where I was just sitting in an asteroid belt waiting for people to barf their ore into my cargo hold.

God dammit why do I keep playing space games

Space games are fun. Space makes everything better. Space improves everything and science fiction is cool.

Granted in the case of EVE that was probably less EVE being fun and more Goons in Space being fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Reason posted:

anyone can learn or otherwise acquire almost any skillset, but most people aren't willing to learn more than one or two. an artist can easily be an effective programmer, director, or project manager

• Locked thread