Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pump it up! Do it!
Oct 3, 2012

Jsor posted:

I got Turn the Tables on the beta patch, so yes. Did you forget to enable Ironman or choose a non-1444 start or something maybe?

1444 start and I play with Ironman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Lord Tywin posted:

1444 start and I play with Ironman.

When you hover your mouse over the Play button when you load your game make sure the tool tip says CAN get achievements. Unless you know this already.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

GreyjoyBastard posted:

On the plus side, it rhymes with "balls", so I'm sure someone will come up with an amusing song in this timeline.
No it doesn't. :colbert:

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

double nine posted:

I remember something about one of those influencing the others or manpower or something. I recall production being more potent than the others but I can't recall why.

Production also boosts trade, but it will only benefit you in specific circumstances. The money you get from trading is based on how many goods are produced in the various trade nodes, and how much of that gold you can take in. Boosting production boosts how many goods get made and thus boosts value in the trade nodes that those provinces are in. That's what people mean when they talk about double-dipping bonuses by raising production. But again, that only works if you actually have enough control of a trade node or two to pull in that extra value. If you're only the 5th or 6th most powerful nation in a trade node, then raising production will only give you a tiny (extra) benefit. You'll still get more money from the actual increased production, but the bonus to trade probably won't be worth it compared to just raising tax.

As the game goes on you get more and more production bonuses and buildings, so production eventually becomes a huge moneymaker if you own enough territory/trade nodes. But early on a boost to tax will most likely be worth a lot more.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

It's 1615, the Commonwealth keeps buying itself the Defender of the Catholic Faith title every time their ruler dies and it's really annoying. I'm the Ottomans and I control the entire Eastern Mediterranean plus everything as far south as Yemen and east as Baghdad, but I can't expand any further into the Balkans than Serbia because the Commonwealth's army (98,000 forcelimit) is the only one in Europe equal to mine (110,000 forcelimit). I can't fight off both them and Hungary, or them and Naples. The only direct border I share with the Commonwealth is one of their provinces in Romania with a fort on it, which turns into the Great Killing Fields of North Constanta every time I've gone to war with them. I am richer than Allah so I can afford lots and lots of mercs and I've got 100,000 manpower, but I don't think bankrupting myself and killing a generation of Turks in pursuit of a few provinces in Dalmatia is the best of ideas.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
Centers of Reformation targeting the Papal State is such a loving bullshit thing. Because of the 30 year -100% missionary chance you can't evade 30 years of bullshit at all, unless you know about it and go humanist, which imo is a bad idea group for that nation.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

:negative:

Are there any good historical balance mods for EU4? Because holy poo poo could it ever use one.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

It appears that France is confused.

Edit: or maybe they just wanted to get in the HRE and then take it all back? Who knows!

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Sheep posted:

It appears that France is confused.

Edit: or maybe they just wanted to get in the HRE and then take it all back? Who knows!

Wow, I think that's the most screwed up Western Europe I've seen. It's almost amazing that it got that messed up by 1509.

I also like Brittany's random little exclave.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

Jsor posted:

Wow, I think that's the most screwed up Western Europe I've seen. It's almost amazing that it got that messed up by 1509.

Nah, outside of the French lands that isn't too messed up. The player is Byzantium, explaining that. The one where the Knights and Theodoro were running wild on Anatolia, now that was screwed up.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

In my recent game, Burgundy managed to trigger a coalition of pretty much every European nation on itself. How? In two wars it ate half of France and the western half of the HRE.

I was Brittany, and allied to Burgundy when the coalition war fired. Seeing that popup of who was against him was pretty much an instant "nope" regardless of my abysmal prestige.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

PittTheElder posted:

Are there any good historical balance mods for EU4? Because holy poo poo could it ever use one.

Yeah, I think it would be alot better if that Janissary Decadence disaster could not trigger before 1600, just like how Aspiration for Liberty doesn't begin triggering before 1650 or something and the Revolution in 1750. It's kind of ridiculous that you have Janissaries being formed and Janissaries being decadent within 20 years of each other.

(Though actually the whole thing with Janissary decadence in history was much more complex than the Janissaries just being lazy, decadent bad guys, to the point where that characterization is almost completely wrong)

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

My England game's League War contained every Christian power on Europe except Scandinavia and Scotland. It hugely hosed over all of my alliances, with the only one I was able to salvage afterwards was with Portugal. About six months into the war, a 30k attachment of Catholic troops crossed a river to attack 10k of my men doing a siege on a fort in the Alps. A lot of people were nearby.

Terrain rules so hard.

Donald Duck
Apr 2, 2007

TTBF posted:

My England game's League War contained every Christian power on Europe except Scandinavia and Scotland. It hugely hosed over all of my alliances, with the only one I was able to salvage afterwards was with Portugal. About six months into the war, a 30k attachment of Catholic troops crossed a river to attack 10k of my men doing a siege on a fort in the Alps. A lot of people were nearby.

Terrain rules so hard.

That war exhaustion probably ended the war by itself. I feel like taking 17.5 in one battle shouldnt be possible

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

PittTheElder posted:

There's a ton of poo poo like this which has been annoying me forever but the amount of small event / decision changes needed to make everything consistent and historically appropriate makes it into a major project. I'm talking about stuff like how many minor flavour events are unnecessarily linked to tags rather than culture / region / religion etc.

At least improvements are slowly being made such as event advisors having 50% cost deduction, and they keep adding more flavour events and missions which is part of why keeping a mod up to date would be such a pain in the rear end.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Randarkman posted:

Yeah, I think it would be alot better if that Janissary Decadence disaster could not trigger before 1600, just like how Aspiration for Liberty doesn't begin triggering before 1650 or something and the Revolution in 1750. It's kind of ridiculous that you have Janissaries being formed and Janissaries being decadent within 20 years of each other.

(Though actually the whole thing with Janissary decadence in history was much more complex than the Janissaries just being lazy, decadent bad guys, to the point where that characterization is almost completely wrong)

There's so many things I'd like to tinker with if, with varying degrees of possibility. In no particular order:
  • Fix the Jannisarries event.
  • Require Hungary to have actually declined before Austria's 'The Decline of Hungary' mission can fire.
  • Find out if there's an event that gives Austria a PU over Hungary, if so remove it, and replace it with one that gives them a PU over Bohemia.
  • Remove the rule that says PUs break on negative prestige. Now that 'Support Independence' is a thing, this has no reason to exist.
  • Make owning Novgorod a requirement for Muscovy to qualify for the 'Subjugate Kazan' mission.
  • Remove whatever the hell it is that sets the AI to be hell bound on connecting two disparate halves of it's empire; getting Military Access should be fine. This should fix Burgundy constantly coalitioning itself into the ground after annexing Lorraine, and Austria snaking across Southern Germany.
  • Make HRE members refuse to be diplovassalized by the Emperor, or by an outside power. Perhaps make Personal Unions more likely within the Empire somehow.
  • Fix the blobbing in the Empire somehow; that baby should be chock full of minors right up until the late game - this probably extends into a much wider complaint about how there are very rarely minor victories. It's really rare to see just one or two provinces change hands between medium to large powers. Any victory needs to be a total victory before the AI accepts peace, meaning that wars usually end for huge concessions or for war reps.
  • Make the Timurids less stable.
  • Strengthen Crimea so that they don't get essentially annexed by Genoa.
  • Rework the Burgundian Inheritance so that it gives preference to CAS/SPA, if they have a royal marriage. And probably make it more likely too. The choice of Spain is purely to make the Netherlands breakaway more interesting.
  • Speaking of which, make independence wars something the overlord can't call their allies into unless other outside powers also intervene.
  • Do something to make France more likely to get its cores back from England. The 300 Years Cold War is getting pretty stale.
  • Make the AI unwilling to march it's entire army across continents to assist their partner in wars, unless their own enemies or rivals are involved.
  • Figure out what's making Castile wind up in Brazil, and Portugal wind up in the Caribbean, and swap it. Portugal should be focused on getting to India.
  • Remove most of the colonist granting ideas from the idea lines, and give them to the historical colonizers. I'd leave one in Exploration, but only one. Slow down colonization in general.
  • Make civil wars more common in general. England has a couple good ones, and Castile got those new events, but nobody else has enough. Where's my French Wars of Religion and intra-Habsburg feuds?
  • Buff the Ottomans. Whenever they wind up in an early fight against multiple European powers (usually because they attacked Genoa), they get crushed. Although if the problem of the AI marching its entire army across continents got fixed, this likely wouldn't be necessary.

An extremely Eurocentric list, but that's just where I usually play. China could as always be represented better, but I'm not sure how.

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Jul 11, 2015

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

Donald Duck posted:

That war exhaustion probably ended the war by itself. I feel like taking 17.5 in one battle shouldnt be possible

The AI never retreats mid battle, and if it went on longer than the 1st stage and more and more men reinforce, then a whole army will get destroyed slowly, which allows for stuff like this to happen. It is so dumb and makes me wish the AI did make troops retreat like they now do with boats.

e; make the Timurids even MORE liable to implode? You are a cruel person, Pitt. They explode when so much as touched.

Another Person fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Jul 11, 2015

Apoffys
Sep 5, 2011
Why is the rival system so erratic? What determines who can be your rivals? The game keeps constantly changing its mind about who I can rival, which makes no sense. It's especially annoying when it happens during war, because I can't set a new rival and thus lose a bunch of power projection (both from the penalty for not having enough rivals, and because I'm not embargoing/privateering etc). It's also quite annoying to rig up for a war against a rival, which can take a little time as claims need to be fabricated and armies moved. and then to lose them as a rival just as I'm about to declare war.

It's not even that I've totally "eclipsed" them, because often the same country that wasn't big enough to qualify as a rival any more will rival me again 6 months later (when I'm at war with someone else or have my 3 rival slots full, and therefore can't take advantage). It's hard enough to get any power projection as a big country when you can actually set long term rivals, but as it is I can barely keep above 25 despite being a huge blob that nobody dares attack.

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

A good mod list would be neat.

I kinda wanna try that religion mod dei graitus or whatever the Latin is

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Dei Gratia. The guy who makes it is a pretty good dude too. It was an excellent for EU3, I'd consider it essential along with SRI (which expanded the HRE), though I haven't tried the EU4 version.

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Jul 11, 2015

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

Apoffys posted:

Why is the rival system so erratic? What determines who can be your rivals? The game keeps constantly changing its mind about who I can rival, which makes no sense. It's especially annoying when it happens during war, because I can't set a new rival and thus lose a bunch of power projection (both from the penalty for not having enough rivals, and because I'm not embargoing/privateering etc). It's also quite annoying to rig up for a war against a rival, which can take a little time as claims need to be fabricated and armies moved. and then to lose them as a rival just as I'm about to declare war.

It's not even that I've totally "eclipsed" them, because often the same country that wasn't big enough to qualify as a rival any more will rival me again 6 months later (when I'm at war with someone else or have my 3 rival slots full, and therefore can't take advantage). It's hard enough to get any power projection as a big country when you can actually set long term rivals, but as it is I can barely keep above 25 despite being a huge blob that nobody dares attack.

Aside from the nations of similar size who you can rival, if a nation rivals you, they become a valid nation to rival back. This allows you to rival smaller nations sometimes. However, if they grow too small or you grow too big, they will no longer be able to have you as a valid target, and then you will lose them yourself. And then they grow a bit, and are suddenly back in range, re-rival you, and you can do it again.

I think it is a bit annoying too. It is why I basically never rival a nation who is more than -5% of my army size, because it pretty much means they will lose the ability to set me, and I will lose them.

Another Person fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Jul 11, 2015

Apoffys
Sep 5, 2011

Another Person posted:

Aside from the nations of similar size who you can rival, if a nation rivals you, they become a valid nation to rival back. This allows you to rival smaller nations sometimes. However, if they grow too small or you grow too big, they will no longer be able to have you as a valid target, and then you will lose them yourself. And then they grow a bit, and are suddenly back in range, re-rival you, and you can do it again.

I think it is a bit annoying too. It is why I basically never rival a nation who is more than -5% of my army size, because it pretty much means they will lose the ability to set me, and I will lose them.

Yeah, but that I can rival them back doesn't help much when I've just started a long war or have filled up my 3 rival slots. For example, I had the Papal State as a rival and was planning a war against them, but before I had time to declare they were disqualified from being my rival, so I abandoned the project. I start a new war in Asia instead, and shortly afterwards the Pope sets me as his rival again, but I can't do a damned thing about it before I get out of my current war.

I would love to set someone bigger as my rival, but often there isn't anyone my size to pick on. Or if there is someone big, they're so far away that I have a hard time finding a reason to fight them, because they're just not a threat in any way nor do they have anything valuable that I want. The rival system just breaks down when there's a single, human blob, because it's limited to countries of similar size. There might still be a military threat because of coalitions, but nobody big enough to be a reliable rival.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

PittTheElder posted:

Mine's great! :v: Well, it's different at least. France kicks England's rear end, but doesn't seem to go as nuts on everyone else. It even managed to end one game literally one province short of its modern borders. The HRE minors seem more survivable too, possibly because they got buffed a bit, and because I added diminishing returns which obviously benefits tiny states like that the most.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Donald Duck posted:

It might just a summary of everyone's total war exhaustion? Then it wouldn't be too unreasonable. Kinda useless information but at least less insane. But I've no idea if that's actually the case.

Donald Duck
Apr 2, 2007

Poil posted:

It might just a summary of everyone's total war exhaustion? Then it wouldn't be too unreasonable. Kinda useless information but at least less insane. But I've no idea if that's actually the case.

If it is then that has changed, it used to be that everyone who took part in a battle took that war exhaustion that was displayed.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Lord Tywin posted:

Aren't the achievements available in the beta patch? I just formed Russia as Muscovy but I didn't get the achievement.

There's something funny going on with tag switching not giving your new ideas so maybe that has something to do with it.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Knuc U Kinte posted:

There's something funny going on with tag switching not giving your new ideas so maybe that has something to do with it.

Good point, I formed Canada and still had my old ideas, so maybe tag switching for achievements is messed up too.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Mine's great! :v: Well, it's different at least. France kicks England's rear end, but doesn't seem to go as nuts on everyone else. It even managed to end one game literally one province short of its modern borders. The HRE minors seem more survivable too, possibly because they got buffed a bit, and because I added diminishing returns which obviously benefits tiny states like that the most.

That's just your home brew and nothing on Steam right? I'd be really curious to see what you've done if you think it's ready for the light of day at all.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

PrinceRandom posted:

A good mod list would be neat.

I kinda wanna try that religion mod dei graitus or whatever the Latin is

I was trying to think "who was the guy who made that trusted go-to mod collection for eu3 I couldn't play without" and then I remembered it was wiz and his modpack is just what ever the latest beta patch is.

Alikchi
Aug 18, 2010

Thumbs up I agree

The government ranks feature is straight out of eu3+

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

PittTheElder posted:

There's so many things I'd like to tinker with if, with varying degrees of possibility. In no particular order:
  • Fix the Jannisarries event.
  • Require Hungary to have actually declined before Austria's 'The Decline of Hungary' mission can fire.
  • Find out if there's an event that gives Austria a PU over Hungary, if so remove it, and replace it with one that gives them a PU over Bohemia.
  • Remove the rule that says PUs break on negative prestige. Now that 'Support Independence' is a thing, this has no reason to exist.
  • Make owning Novgorod a requirement for Muscovy to qualify for the 'Subjugate Kazan' mission.
  • Remove whatever the hell it is that sets the AI to be hell bound on connecting two disparate halves of it's empire; getting Military Access should be fine. This should fix Burgundy constantly coalitioning itself into the ground after annexing Lorraine, and Austria snaking across Southern Germany.
  • Make HRE members refuse to be diplovassalized by the Emperor, or by an outside power. Perhaps make Personal Unions more likely within the Empire somehow.
  • Fix the blobbing in the Empire somehow; that baby should be chock full of minors right up until the late game - this probably extends into a much wider complaint about how there are very rarely minor victories. It's really rare to see just one or two provinces change hands between medium to large powers. Any victory needs to be a total victory before the AI accepts peace, meaning that wars usually end for huge concessions or for war reps.
  • Make the Timurids less stable.
  • Strengthen Crimea so that they don't get essentially annexed by Genoa.
  • Rework the Burgundian Inheritance so that it gives preference to CAS/SPA, if they have a royal marriage. And probably make it more likely too. The choice of Spain is purely to make the Netherlands breakaway more interesting.
  • Speaking of which, make independence wars something the overlord can't call their allies into unless other outside powers also intervene.
  • Do something to make France more likely to get its cores back from England. The 300 Years Cold War is getting pretty stale.
  • Make the AI unwilling to march it's entire army across continents to assist their partner in wars, unless their own enemies or rivals are involved.
  • Figure out what's making Castile wind up in Brazil, and Portugal wind up in the Caribbean, and swap it. Portugal should be focused on getting to India.
  • Remove most of the colonist granting ideas from the idea lines, and give them to the historical colonizers. I'd leave one in Exploration, but only one. Slow down colonization in general.
  • Make civil wars more common in general. England has a couple good ones, and Castile got those new events, but nobody else has enough. Where's my French Wars of Religion and intra-Habsburg feuds?
  • Buff the Ottomans. Whenever they wind up in an early fight against multiple European powers (usually because they attacked Genoa), they get crushed. Although if the problem of the AI marching its entire army across continents got fixed, this likely wouldn't be necessary.

An extremely Eurocentric list, but that's just where I usually play. China could as always be represented better, but I'm not sure how.

Oh yeah. While I do not think that the game should just straight up mirror history exactly I do think that it should be structured in such a way that, if left to itself, a situation somewhat resembling real life history should be the most likely outcome. A few thoughts of my own, and not quite so Eurocentric, would be.

• I don't think I've ever seen Habsburgs on the Spanish throne. Now there is an event for Castille forming a personal union with Aragon, why not one for Austria forming one with Spain/Castille (Maybe only if Spain is formed, because then it would very probably be too large for Austria to inherit or integrate)? That would break up the Iberian hugbox, as Spain would then be forced to assist with Austria's interests in the HRE and Italy rather than ganging up with Portugal to beat up the Berbers for as long as the union lasts, and would also limit Spanish expansion to the New World for that time.
  • Agree and would like to restate that the Emperor should not be allowed to diplo-annex (maybe not even diplo-vassalize) or integrate HRE members, that's what the HRE reforms are for.
  • gently caress the Iberian hugbox, find ways to break it up without making them go hog wild and conquer and hate each other. EU IV really needs some kidn of non-hostile thing you can enter in a country's history file similar to "historical_friend = TAG" that makes the AI very unlikely to either ally, rival or claim the provinces of the country in question. It's not a problem that Portugal and Castille declares wars on and conquers Berber provinces it's that everytime it happens the Bebers have to face all of Portugal, Castille and Aragon together be it an offensive or a defensive war.
  • Related to the hugbox, I've seen Portugal and Castille convert the entirety of Morocoo to Catholic way too many times, historically they could not even convert the small areas they actually conquered and ruled. I guess this is due to all the missionary strength they receive from the combination of decisions and religious ideas. Many of these decisions should be changed to only give missionary strength vs. heretics (like the counter-reformation decision), or Muslim provinces should impose further penalties on missionary strength.
  • As you say Portugal should be focused on getting to India. Give them missions to conquer Yemeni and Omani provinces and get them into conflict against the Mamluks.
  • A large portion of or a majority of the Mamluk fleet should be in the Red Sea, historically they came into conflict against Portugal and fought the Portuguese in the Indian Ocean, the Mamluks should either guarantee or vassalize some Indian coastal minors to hopefully make them go to war with Portugal. If possible the Ottomans should get dragged into this as well
  • Rename Ottomans to "Turkey". I've lost track of the number of games I've had where the Ottoman dynasty has changed and they are ruled by a "Daei" or a "Batuhan" or something instead, it makes no sense that it would then continue being called "Ottomans" or the "Ottoman Empire" as "Ottoman" was not a nationality, an Ottoman was a member of the House of Osman the ruling family of the Ottoman Empire, or as it was referred to by Europeans at the time "Turkey", it would be no more out of place than Austria not being called the "Habsburg Monarchy" or Persia going by the name used by Europeans rather than "Iran" or "Safavid Empire"
  • In addition to or in place of the above, the Ottoman dynasty should be more durable! Why does Austria have an event that spawns an heir of their dynasty and not the Ottomans? The Ottomans dynasty reigned for moe than 600 years, starting with Osman I in 1299 and ending with Mehmed VI in 1922. Ideally I'd like a unique government form, like many other nations have gotten over time. Make it work pretty similar to a Despotic Monarchy like the Ottomans already have and make succession more like theocracies, except you choose among members of the House of Osman . The Ottomans did not use primogeniture or anything like that, successors were designated or they grabbed power for themselves or they were installed as puppets of powerful harem and government figures, the Ottomans should also be prone to frequent civil wars on succession (to go along with buffing them externally and fixing the Janissary Decadence event). Speaking of the harem, the Ottomans in this new government form should likely be barred from royal marriages, very few Ottoman sultans married and if they did it was usually someone from within the harem who would almost certainly be someone who had been enslaved prior to being in the harem thus not making it a marriage of the kind that bound dynasties together. Needless to say the Ottomans should lose this government form if they westernize
  • The Ottomans could do with a disaster to represent the decline of the Timar system of military fiefs, especially if they are made stronger by other means. By the late 17th and early 18th century many Timars were no longer able to allow a Timariot to equip himself and his retainers optimally, indeed many could no longer afford horses, and some even sold off their weapons. This in turn increased the military importance of the Janissaries and also led the Ottomans to seek out other more irregular supplements to their armed forces, many of which were literally bandits turned soldiers (banditry was common in revolt-ridden Anatolia and many peasants owned matchlock muskets).
  • In short; buff up the Ottomans to make them dangerous, such as giving them a powerful unique gov type (which is somewhat offset by frequent pretender civil wars ) and powerful modifiers to represent the Janissaries and Timariots and slow them down and reverse their fortunes by triggering disasters related to the decline of these systems from say the late 17th century onwards.
  • Persian provinces should NOT be Shiite at game start! The majority of Iran was Sunni in 1444, Shi'ism was restricted to Turkic peoples (Azeris) and Mazandaranis in the north. The Safavid conversion of Iran was a real big deal in history and real game-changer as far as later and even modern developments go. The fact that it has been like this since at least EU2 will never cease to mildly infuriate me.
  • Remove Persia's cores at the start date, replace them in Persian culture (non-Persian culture provinces like Khorasani and Baluchi already have their own tags) provinces with a number of minor states based on medieval or regional entities to still give the Timurids a hard time with separatists. The Safavids largely defined what is today Iran after they conquered it, largely in response to their rivalry with their amibitous and dangerous Ottoman neighbors. They united Iran under their rule by patronising and imposing Twelver Shi'ism (prior to them most of Iran was Sunni like Turkey) and Persian culture (a large proportion of the people of Iran were Turks, including the Safavids themselves). The decision to form Persia should give claims on the Persian region. Persia should have Ottomans as their historical rival and
  • Add Safavids to game start. They could be a minor power in Azerbaijan along the Black Sea coast in 1444 (they resided in Ardabil). However I think it would make for a more fun position to be a bit ahistorical, as in 1448 they were driven from Ardabil by Jahan Shah of the Qara Koyunlu (Black Sheep Turkomans) and sought refuge within the lands of the Ak Koyunlu (White Sheep Turkomans) and eventually settled down in Azerbaijan. Shaykh Junayd, the Safavid leader, even married the daughter of the Ak Koyunlu ruler (and her mother was a Komenmoi princess), so the more fun position would be to have carve out some lands for the Safavids in Ak Koyunlu-ruled Azerbaijan and make them an ally (maybe a vassal) of the Ak Koyunlu and possibly a historical friend. The Safavids headed a Sufi religious order and claimed descent from the Prophet, they had a large number of followers, and significantly a great many of these were Qizilbash (Turkish groups that proliferated in Azerbaijan, western Iran and Anatolia at the time, you could say they were part-tribe and part Shi'ite military order) which was the reason they were driven from Ardabil, Jahan Shah saw the Safavids as dangerous particularly if led by an ambitious leader.
  • The Safavids should have a powerful idea set based around the support they received from the Qizilbash and their status as Sayyids. A unique government form might be appropriate but I think ideas, and powerful event modifiers and missions would be more appropriate. Many of these missions should naturally be focused on the conquest of Azarbaijani and Persian provinces.
  • Persia, if ruled by Shi'ites and more than a given number of provinces are Sunni, should get a decision to reflect the historical conversion of the country to Shi'ism if they have a theologian advisor, giving a significant bonus to missionary strength vs. heretic. Most of the country was converted to Twelver Shi'ism (the branch the Safavids came to espouse when they conquered Iran) within a generation, through an active and organized effort aided by Safavids bring in a large number of Iraqi religious scholars who were to form the basis of what became Iran's Shi'ite priesthood. While Sunnis and Zoroastrians (there were still a few of these left) were forcibly converted under threats of violence and exile, Jews and Christians were largely left alone, with Jews and Armenians enjoying several privileges in return for their subordination.
  • It seems in recent patches that Ming are far too durable, I've never seen them conquered by the Manchus, though in earlier patches I often saw them completely blow apart, and recently I've seen them expand east and stay almost completely on technological parity with the West throghout the entire game without westernzing. I don't really know enough about Chinese history to suggest a nerf of my own that would make sense though
  • Japan should have a Shogunate mechanic similar to but distinct from the way the HRE works rather than the current system of vassals that are allowed to fight each other.

...That became alot of words.

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Jul 12, 2015

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Randarkman posted:

...That became alot of words.

It became a paradox forum post.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Knuc U Kinte posted:

It became a paradox forum post.

drat. That really stings. And I don't mean that ironically

Well, at least there's no nationalistic fury (the only fury is directed against the Shi'ite Persian provinces in 1444 GRrrGHGGG).

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Jul 12, 2015

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Donald Duck posted:

If it is then that has changed, it used to be that everyone who took part in a battle took that war exhaustion that was displayed.

That war ended with a white peace. I was 10 warscore from enforcing religious supremacy when I noticed no one in Europe had any manpower left and there weren't enough troops on either side for the kind of gains necessary to fill that gap in less than a decade. If the war exhaustion led to everyone on the Catholics' side getting hit by that number, it would have been a slaughter after that battle was over. Most of my lost troops were mercenaries and as far as I could tell none of theirs were.

If I could have brought Reformed Spain into the Protestant league or kept Russia (which was allied to the emperor but not part of a league) out, that war would have swung a very different way.

Anyway, I ran into a weird bug. The English Civil War event fired and on the same day so too did the End of the English Civil War event. I could have saved, exited, and come back and not had to do deal with the initial rebel uprising or the stability loss. The option to actually end the war was not visible though so when I did fight off the rebels, I had to save and exit anyway.

And if we're talking about things we need fixed, I'd really like it if the AI would stop changing its mind about if it wanted its subjects to embargo me or not. Constantly getting pop ups telling me I've lost or gained a trade cb on a rival's subject is super annoying.

Randarkman posted:

drat. That really stings. And I don't mean that ironically

Well, at least there's no nationalistic fury (the only fury is directed against the Shi'ite Persian provinces in 1444).

I dunno man, the heavy emphasis on the Ottomans needing buffing kind of borders on the nationalistic fury. I'm not very good at the game yet but the Ottomans haven't needed any buffing from what I've seen while playing as them. A universal change to claims increasing the discount on coring cost, coring time, and warscore cost (and maybe even having claims cut down a bit on overextension) would probably help them expand via their conquer missions faster. With that they'd be able to build up strength faster and then their current settings would be good enough to carry them through most of the trials you've mentioned.

TTBF fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Jul 12, 2015

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

TTBF posted:

I dunno man, the heavy emphasis on the Ottomans needing buffing kind of borders on the nationalistic fury. I'm not very good at the game yet but the Ottomans haven't needed any buffing from what I've seen while playing as them. A universal change to claims increasing the discount on coring cost, coring time, and warscore cost (and maybe even having claims cut down a bit on overextension) would probably help them expand via their conquer missions faster. With that they'd be able to build up strength faster and then their current settings would be good enough to carry them through most of the trials you've mentioned.

I guess I got a bit caught up in that because the previous list mentioned buffing the Ottomans and I just ran with it (I've played the Ottomans and I was basically invincible, so I should know better). I think it's more important to have them retain their dynasty, either via event like Austria or via unique (civil war-ridden) government form like I sperged on about. Also I think Janissary Decadence could do with a start date among the triggers as playing with the newest patch I've seen it trigger within the first 50 years twice (and I've started two games), also Timar decay disaster would be historically appropriate.

TTBF posted:

And if we're talking about things we need fixed, I'd really like it if the AI would stop changing its mind about if it wanted its subjects to embargo me or not. Constantly getting pop ups telling me I've lost or gained a trade cb on a rival's subject is super annoying.

Yeah this was quite annoying for me. Though I eventually just came to ignore it to the point that I forgot it happened, though that is no argument against fixing it.

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Jul 12, 2015

Spiderfist Island
Feb 19, 2011

PittTheElder posted:

To jump on the bandwagon, I've also got two mods that have a couple of elements which could help balance some aspects of the game (Emperor chewing through minors, and the Ming's stability issue and lack of any succeeding dynasty if they fall), but neither of them are updated for 1.13 yet. If anyone wants to use any elements from these mods, feel free to do so (just stick in a credit where it seems appropriate, I guess)

I don't know if there's much else in them that would be useful from a "historical accuracy" standpoint, seeing that my Chinese mod allows for a high-technology Chinese region to occur under certain situations. The first mod does include the counts of Celje as an independent nation in the 1444 start and lots of unique paganism types if you want maximum sperg.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

Jsor posted:

The best part is Castile chose to marry local talent and Poland is set to lose the Lithuania PU once the king dies. It's gonna be a wild ride from here on out, I expect!

GSD
May 10, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
I just want unified Japan to still call its rulers Shoguns. As is once you lose the Shogunate government, by unifying the country, the ruler title transitions to Emperor.

It isn't like Tokugawa Ieyasu started calling himself Emperor.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

GSD posted:

I just want unified Japan to still call its rulers Shoguns. As is once you lose the Shogunate government, the title transitions to Emperor.

It isn't like Tokugawa Ieyasu started calling himself Emperor.

I'm pretty sure they are called Shoguns now when they are monarchies and of kingdom rank and above. Atleast that was the case in my last game with the beta patch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GSD
May 10, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Randarkman posted:

I'm pretty sure they are called Shoguns now when they are monarchies and of kingdom rank and above. Atleast that was the case in my last game with the beta patch.

Ah! Well then, that's a nice change to see. I thought I had recently seen it still transition to Emperor, but thinking on it that that was pre-beta.

I guess I can't complain, then.

• Locked thread