Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Aesis posted:

Then why have caps at all? Just make it TDM so whichever team has the most 'kill points' win.

it gives a decent amount of xp but not enough to make people just zoom torwards caps and capfast, just those oblivious to the rewards.

domination owns and it's great when you can use the cap system to snatch away a victory but the game is about fighting botes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G

Hazdoc posted:

The Cleveland to the Pepsicola is a style change, much like the Kuma to the Furutaka is. Except the Pensacola has garbage armor and much larger guns, while the Furutaka has thicker armor and somewhat larger guns and is hard to turn. You can't play a Pepsicola like a Cleveland 2.0, it won't survive the same type of fights.
Yeah I noticed that.

Also so many fuckers abusing map edge grinding bug now. poo poo's just so loving annoying.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
Last game in the Kawachi and its finally a good one. Terrible start, I had some good shots on destroyers that hit for a whopping 800 a few times, that is fun. Early highlight is a Chester bow on towards me at 5km, I fire a broadside with all 4 guns and didn't score a single hit.

Got real lucky near the end and take down their final South Carolina by getting close enough for my secondaries to weaken the ship enough for the rear turret to get it. 4.5k xp and its Myogi time.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

grrarg posted:

Which would be 2k+ a game if you had torpedo bombers.

Except if he shoots down all the other side's bombers as they primary him, the other side no longer has any aerial projection. So it comes down to "do I want to go bomber-heavy and go with 35/65 odds that my team won't be mouthbreathers," or "go fighter-heavy, decimate the other side's aircraft, and leave them with 1-2 completely loving useless ships?"

So it's a "gently caress you, got mine" vs. "let me see if I can carry my team to a win" quandary.

Panfilo posted:

Thanks for the explanation. Any advice on getting consistent citadel hits?

It's going to sound strange, but use co-op battles. They're not restricted to starter tiers - it's a lot more relaxed if you're learning to shoot and bracket when the games don't 'count' and you still earn a *small* amount of xp and credits per game. Only downside is that the AI seems to loving bore into human players once you're sighted.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Jul 11, 2015

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Just as I get used to playing the Kawachi I unlock the Myogi, :v:. That level 7 free premium was a god send. Pity I didn't get my Wyoming or IJN T4 cruiser.

yaay
Aug 4, 2006

to Accursed 2 leave armour
the advice to get closer with the Myogi is spot on, even if it's gun placement is terrible. shooting out to 20k because you can now after the kawachi is a bit of a trap.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

BIG HEADLINE posted:

So it's a "gently caress you, got mine" vs. "let me see if I can carry my team to a win" quandary.
Play with a pair of Omahas or Clevelands and do both. We were doing this the other night and the enemy team was down 50 planes in the first 5 minutes. The desire of pubbies to immediately torpedo the other carrier results in a shitload of easy AA kills for American cruisers that just chill around the CV instead of immediately rushing into the torpedo deathmatch in the center.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

yaay posted:

If it's not in right now I'm pretty sure it was a conscious decision not to let players pick apart each others' performance
A bad decision, imo.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
Is Demolition Expert the go-to level 4 skill for an IJN cruiser?

Woodchip
Mar 28, 2010
Not being able to talk smack in chat after a victory is disappointing.

What is the Furutaka playstyle anways? I just unlocked it. I'll need something to play while I wait for my Minekaze between games.

OSad
Feb 29, 2012
The stock Nagato's not treating me well. The 410 mm guns that supposedly pack a bigger punch for some reason have trouble penetrating the same shots the Fuso could at 20km out a tier lower. And I'm having trouble getting into a decent range since anything past 10 kilometers causes the entire enemy flank to aggro on me, and this ship really can't take a hit at all stock, not even at extreme angles. I find myself losing almost all my health to a couple of unlucky citadel pens from Wyomings of all things.

I really do hope the second hull's better, especially since you have to spend nearly the same amount of experience researching it as you do the Fuso.

OSad fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Jul 11, 2015

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
I just TKed 2 players of Brazilian division (they had BR in their name + speaking something similar to Spanish) with Murmansk because assholes were sitting still behind island and 'waiting for things to clear before traveling 20 km to cap' (their base xp at the end of game was 46 and 66. I was second at 724.) while I was 3 km forward getting hammered and barely managing to run alive. Score was 1-7 so there was no way for 'things to clear'. They started calling me 'friend of the family' :stare:

Anyways 19.5k xp left to New Orleans and Fire Control upgrade. :effort:

Aesis fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Jul 11, 2015

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
How is the third hull upgrade on the Omaha? Two games into getting the Omaha I was under very heavy air attack. In spite of the poor AA rating of the stock hull, I managed to shoot down a few planes. I can only imagine how much better the AA hull would be. But people complained losing 2 torpedo launchers and guns was too big of a downside.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Except if he shoots down all the other side's bombers as they primary him, the other side no longer has any aerial projection. So it comes down to "do I want to go bomber-heavy and go with 35/65 odds that my team won't be mouthbreathers," or "go fighter-heavy, decimate the other side's aircraft, and leave them with 1-2 completely loving useless ships?"

However a fighter loadout without torps makes your carrier completely loving useless at what matters too, sinking enemy boats. All it does it take the carriers out of the battle. A carrier without torps is garbage regardless of whether that's because of not bringing any or having them all shot down. You're still equally worthless. A strike carrier can affect any enemy ship, a fighter carrier can only affect enemy carriers. The enemy can't torp, but neither can you. What was the point in you two joining that game? There's also a chance to end up being the only carrier in the match even if you bring fighters which is really freaking boring. I won't deny that shooting down 50+ planes isn't a lot of fun as you imagine some pubbie raging at you but it's not winning the game. Once a striker sinks an enemy ship it can move on to target the next but if a fighter takes out all enemy planes it doesn't have anything else to do. It's kinda like if you could set your arty in WoT to only being able to fire at other arty before the match. :)

Um, I tried to be as clear as possible about my opinion but I might have gotten overboard (pun intended). :shobon:

Poil fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Jul 11, 2015

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Panfilo posted:

How is the third hull upgrade on the Omaha? Two games into getting the Omaha I was under very heavy air attack. In spite of the poor AA rating of the stock hull, I managed to shoot down a few planes. I can only imagine how much better the AA hull would be. But people complained losing 2 torpedo launchers and guns was too big of a downside.

The extra AA is definitely worth losing a pair of torpedo launchers. Your guns are your moneymaker, with torpedoes good for specific situations. You can do just fine in the Omaha by dancing at medium/long range while you burn and citadel everything with a red name over it.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G

Panfilo posted:

Better AA won't stop you from getting overrun by 3 higher tier torp squads, but it can wipe up to +1 tier if you have Basic/Advanced Fire Control and have Defensive AA active.

Losing torps can suck because torps are 'i-win' weapons for going around corner or close range attacks, but then how many times did you manage to poop torps? As for guns I think Omaha loses 2 or 4 guns for full upgrade but that's not a big deal since it fires fast enough.

s1ppycup
Jul 31, 2010

Woodchip posted:

Not being able to talk smack in chat after a victory is disappointing.

What is the Furutaka playstyle anways? I just unlocked it. I'll need something to play while I wait for my Minekaze between games.

Furutaka playstyle is free XP past it to get the Aoba. Furutaka is garbage. It's slow, the guns turn slowly, it's made of citadelium, and it's just generally unfun. About the only thing you can say for it is that it gets 203's at a relatively low tier, and you can use AP to do some nasty critadels.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

s1ppycup posted:

Furutaka playstyle is free XP past it to get the Aoba. Furutaka is garbage. It's slow, the guns turn slowly, it's made of citadelium, and it's just generally unfun. About the only thing you can say for it is that it gets 203's at a relatively low tier, and you can use AP to do some nasty critadels.

I'm going to second this. I love dropping AP on enemy Furutakas.

Also I checked and retraining a captain doesn't ditch his progress towards the next level.

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.

Aesis posted:

New York shot my Peniscola to the front at 10 km and all but 1 shell missed, that one shell hit bow, then I died from full hp because apparently it penetrated and hit magazine. Every time I keep thinking turning my bow to whoever shooting me will let me bounce, but nope they almost always penetrate. It's either that or getting hit by HE shells for 500+ damage per shell. Really poo poo armor compared to Cleveland so I might as well just sit at 15 km.
Angling the bow can bounce shots. Pointing it straight at the enemy is asking for trouble because the bow itself is unarmored, and most ships have a relatively empty front deck with nothing to slow a plunging AP shell down before it goes through the deck armor straight into the front of the citadel.

Panfilo posted:

I never use the 3rd hull, except when forced to by the Murmansk. Losing one of the 5.5km torp launchers per side is whatever, but I don't think giving up a gun per side is worth the AA upgrade. Over the course of a typical 100-150 hit game, that is a lot of hits and damage lost, and it limits your option to run away while doing damage since it takes away a rear gun. You can drive battleships crazy by kiting, weaving back and forth while spamming HE.

Your best defense against air is the Omaha's great maneuverability and using your fighter to harass incoming bombers to increase their target spread. Even with the upgrade, most of your air kills will come from your fighter, and the range and damage is not good enough to provide air cover to other ships. Again, the base fighter will do more for that than the additional AA.

grrarg fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Jul 12, 2015

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

Cummander ross, reporting for duty!

:gooncamp:

Aesis posted:

Also so many fuckers abusing map edge grinding bug now. poo poo's just so loving annoying.

Yeah, I run into one practically every game. You can still hit them if you can tell which direction they're moving and at what speed by just aiming further along the line, but it's a pain to deal with and usually your pubbies lack this skill, so the damage output isn't nearly high enough. I'm really not sure what they could do about it though, other than making people stop dead if they hit it (which isn't really much of a solution either).

With regards to damage on the team score screen - it may come later. It took something like a year or two before it became a thing in WoT (replacing the useless HP remaining column). It's early days yet and you have to remember that this is done by a whole other studio, so they may not immediately pick up the things learned by Minsk.

yaay
Aug 4, 2006

to Accursed 2 leave armour

R. Mute posted:

A bad decision, imo.

same reason you only get 3 reports. they don't give a poo poo and this time around they want to give you as little means to complain as possible

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Panfilo posted:

I think it's worth it. The Omaha's torpedoes aren't that useful really and the 2 guns you lose are the lower-rear sponsons which have the worst firing arc of any guns on the ship. Your AA presence goes from merely good to pretty fantastic. You pick up a bunch of longer range AA and it will generate at least one kill every time a squadron gets within about 3km. If you chill out and shadow a friendly carrier for the first few minutes you're almost guaranteed to smash up a whole bunch of enemy attackers who completely ignore you trying to kill the CV. Once that's over with you can put on some speed and go wherever there are some good targets to punch in the face with your ridiculously accurate guns. (Because you bought the accuracy booster upgrade.)

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

Rent-A-Cop posted:

I think it's worth it. The Omaha's torpedoes aren't that useful really and the 2 guns you lose are the lower-rear sponsons which have the worst firing arc of any guns on the ship. Your AA presence goes from merely good to pretty fantastic. You pick up a bunch of longer range AA and it will generate at least one kill every time a squadron gets within about 3km. If you chill out and shadow a friendly carrier for the first few minutes you're almost guaranteed to smash up a whole bunch of enemy attackers who completely ignore you trying to kill the CV. Once that's over with you can put on some speed and go wherever there are some good targets to punch in the face with your ridiculously accurate guns. (Because you bought the accuracy booster upgrade.)

On the flip side, the AA is useless if there is no CV, and shooting down planes doesn't get you much xp. More guns and potentially more torpedoes gets you more damage, and more xp. I'd honestly stick with the 2nd hull.

jownzy
Apr 20, 2012

I love Rainbow Moon.

It is the deepest game ever. Nothing compares to its epic story.
My goodness, a couple of back to back games.

I needed 100 exp in my Clemson before it was time to say goodbye, Mission Accomplished. I hope the Nicholas doesn't upset me, I think I'll miss the dual guns.

Everyone is in love with the St. Louis, I've really preferred the Omaha, not sure if it's the tier pairings, but it seems to citadel anyone willing to show you a broadside.

Psychosis 01
Nov 6, 2011
Looks like the Atlanta and Atago will be back in the next update

http://worldofwarships.com/en/news/common/update-0403-notes-downtime/

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

God I don't want to fight more Atlantas. Even if you kill them you're going to be set on fire at least twice.

Atago is great though, I feel like it has a much better torp field of fire than other CAs.

texasmed
May 27, 2004
I haven't gotten to post a picture bragging about a high score,

Enjoying the T6 USN cruiser more than the DD, but I'm about to finally get into the T7 USN DD's with increasing torpedo range from 4.5k. Most of my Farragut kills are just breaking people down with continuous gunfire.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

When do BBs stop sucking? I have the SC and the Kawachi, and neither is good, at all. I'm getting used to a gigantic turning radius, but they do the same DPS as the STL, and on a bad one they do half or 1/10th.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
Just keep range of 11.2 km or longer when fighting Atlanta. If you happen to be in its range turn and run with only slight dodge (its shell flight time is long) until you're out of its range. If you can't run, just hope you can sink it fast enough. But it will do lots of damage per salvo so you're dead fast :v:

Tbh Atlanta or any fast firing ships wouldn't be so deadly if HE didn't do bullshit absurd amount of damage. Doesn't take brain or skill to use and still more effective.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Aesis posted:

Just keep range of 11.2 km or longer when fighting Atlanta. If you happen to be in its range turn and run with only slight dodge (its shell flight time is long) until you're out of its range. If you can't run, just hope you can sink it fast enough. But it will do lots of damage per salvo so you're dead fast :v:

Tbh Atlanta or any fast firing ships wouldn't be so deadly if HE didn't do bullshit absurd amount of damage. Doesn't take brain or skill to use and still more effective.

Is that really its range with every single secondary-booster skill? I felt like I was being attacked from longer than that.

OSad
Feb 29, 2012

22 Eargesplitten posted:

When do BBs stop sucking? I have the SC and the Kawachi, and neither is good, at all. I'm getting used to a gigantic turning radius, but they do the same DPS as the STL, and on a bad one they do half or 1/10th.

The Kongo is fast and durable at tier 5 and the Fuso is an absolute murder-machine with its 12 guns at tier 6, so you're getting there. Gotta get through the Myogi first, and while people speak fondly of it, I personally think it's mediocre, a Kawachi that has more range but trades off it's okay-ish gun config and broadside power.

TwatHammer
Sep 29, 2014

I got my New Mexico and jesus christ that ship is hilarious with those 4 tripple stacks with what seems like laser guided shells. 100 to 0'ing nerds is never not hilarious.

Other than the game i had earlier when matchmaking poo poo itself and put my stock rear end into a game with a T9 IJN carrier while we had none. Getting mauled by what seems like endless torp/dive bomber waves doesn't sound as fun as you think.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

TwatHammer posted:

I got my New Mexico and jesus christ that ship is hilarious with those 4 tripple stacks with what seems like laser guided shells. 100 to 0'ing nerds is never not hilarious.

Other than the game i had earlier when matchmaking poo poo itself and put my stock rear end into a game with a T9 IJN carrier while we had none. Getting mauled by what seems like endless torp/dive bomber waves doesn't sound as fun as you think.

I just treat those games like I'm playing the naval version of Touhou. It's not about winning (because frankly, I suck at those games), it's about how long you last. And don't forget to taunt the carrier driver for every wave you survive.

Magni fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Jul 12, 2015

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

22 Eargesplitten posted:

The Wyoming and Fuso. The South Carolina is better objectively than the Kawachi, but something tells me the T3 BBs are lovely simply because they really want to put a gate in front of the carrier lines. Of course, they underestimate how willing pubbies are to fail their way forward.

TwatHammer
Sep 29, 2014

I survived a whole wave of 3-4 torp bobmers and 2 dive bombers. the second wave got me though. The amount of torps was unreal

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I had an extreme close range torpedo duel with another destroyer that lasted until I shot out his engine. That ended the dodging and ended in him torped. It was fun.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Night10194 posted:

I had an extreme close range torpedo duel with another destroyer that lasted until I shot out his engine. That ended the dodging and ended in him torped. It was fun.

I've knocked out a cruiser's steering and I guess his repair was on cooldown. Pretty funny to see him hopelessly careen into a spread of torpedoes.

It is super easy to get It's Only a Flesh Wound with torpedoes. Most matches seem to start with love DD getting first blood, immediately followed by the dead DDs torps killing the guy in revenge.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Panfilo posted:

I've knocked out a cruiser's steering and I guess his repair was on cooldown. Pretty funny to see him hopelessly careen into a spread of torpedoes.

It is super easy to get It's Only a Flesh Wound with torpedoes. Most matches seem to start with love DD getting first blood, immediately followed by the dead DDs torps killing the guy in revenge.

I had a match earlier tonight where I got a double Flesh Wound because one guy I torped never fixed his flooding.

Hal_2005
Feb 23, 2007

TwatHammer posted:

New name for the New Mexico class should be 'hax'. because its so stupid good at this moment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pocketpencil
Sep 15, 2004
Or are you just happy to see me?
Thinking about going down the US CV line at this point. I suppose I can grind all 4 ship types at once and not hate myself. What could go wrong?

Is CV any fun though? Or do you just get gang banged all the time by the BBs?

pocketpencil fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Jul 12, 2015