Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

goatse guy posted:

Should I buy the R package? Is that a dumb question?

An M is better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatse guy
Jan 23, 2007
hello im back in ai buy me avatars plz :-*

Tide posted:

All car sales should be this easy.

I now await the inevitable meteor to crash into my living room.

For every one of those car deals I have, I get three who want to finance a 2006 Porsche Cayenne with 100k miles and they've got a 450 credit score and an open chapter 13 and a total shitbox to trade in and they want to haggle. A meteor landing on my head would be preferable to some of these people.

I wish we would send that Cayenne to the crusher because it attracts the worst sort of customers.

mariooncrack posted:

How much are they asking?

A lot less than it's worth.

goatse guy fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Jul 11, 2015

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
Paid a homeless crack head with the voice of Whitney Houston 20 bucks to play a guitar and sing my new love interest (not official gf yet) and I, 4 amazing love songs while smoking on her front deck last night. Chick obviously dug it cause duh, Not bad for a 3rd date.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

goatse guy posted:

Should I buy the R package? Is that a dumb question?

Yes and yes.

goatse guy posted:

A lot less than it's worth.

Makes the first question even dumber.

goatse guy
Jan 23, 2007

leica posted:

Yes and yes.

Makes the first question even dumber.

Well alright, fine, I'm buying it. It just means I won't have money to buy a mountain bike or a kayak or anything else fun this year.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

goatse guy posted:

Well alright, fine, I'm buying it. It just means I won't have money to buy a mountain bike or a kayak or anything else fun this year.

Miata is more fun

TRANS AM 20000
Apr 17, 2010

Time to punch it!

Greetings from Crater Lake National Park, Oregon, AI!

I'll be living and working here for the next few months, so hopefully I can get pictures that are better than this crap quality one.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

kris_b posted:

Awesome, I saw one of this tours shows, and it was amazing.

Roger Waters, or Pink Floyd? I saw the Floyd concert. I think they are the only group that I've seen on multiple concert tours, I'm really not much of a live concert goer, but I'm really glad I got to see Pink Floyd live - The Wall, Momentary Lapse of Reason, and Division Bell tours. A rare benefit of being one of the oldest guys here I guess. The first tour was back before online ticket sales were really a thing - we camped out in a parking lot for 2 days to get those tickets.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Archer Mad Max - http://www.ew.com/article/2015/07/10/archer-comic-con-video

Back to cleaning...oh joy. At least I got the kayak out this morning and looks like taking it back out again tonight. Think my date tomorrow night bailed, getting the silent treatment.

goatse guy
Jan 23, 2007
Goddamn I would give one of my limbs to see Pink Floyd live. I saw Roger Waters play The Wall a few years ago, and I've seen several Floyd cover bands, but I would give anything to see the real thing.

I'm not going to find out until Monday if I get the Miata. The CEO of the company wants to buy it too. :smith:

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

goatse guy posted:

I'm not going to find out until Monday if I get the Miata. The CEO of the company wants to buy it too. :smith:

Challenge him to arm wrestle for it.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

mafoose posted:

Ooooooooh!
I need to look into this!

Also, apparently you are required to run drag radials or other forms of slick tires. That's $500 I don't have, not to mention my truck is probably a lot slower than they normally get :v:

Also, when did BFG stop making drag radials?

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

goatse guy posted:

That sucks, they wouldn't have even known it was an R package if you hadn't told them.

goatse guy
Jan 23, 2007

NitroSpazzz posted:

That sucks, they wouldn't have even known it was an R package if you hadn't told them.

I know. I was so excited to find out it was an R package because I wanted to help them find more cars for their collection, but then my boss told me what he'd sell it to me for and there was no way I could let it go.

I'll understand if they decide to keep it for the collection or sell it to someone else for twice the price because this is a business and not a happy feel-good charity, but I will still be salty as hell about it.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Cakefool posted:

Challenge him to arm wrestle for it.

:colbert:

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

goatse guy posted:

I'll understand if they decide to keep it for the collection or sell it to someone else for twice the price because this is a business and not a happy feel-good charity, but I will still be salty as hell about it.

If they keep it you should be able to borrow it whenever you want as long as it isn't already reserved or something. Hope you get it, the dogs will love it.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
Oh :wtc:

Someone stole a battery from our store.

goatse guy
Jan 23, 2007

NitroSpazzz posted:

If they keep it you should be able to borrow it whenever you want as long as it isn't already reserved or something. Hope you get it, the dogs will love it.

Pfft, as soon as they fix up the 2002 I'm going to be over there all of the time pestering them to let me borrow that instead.

Turbo is actually terrible in the car, and I dread taking her anywhere. She likes to put her feet up on the center console and put her face right in my face and pant anxiously. She's actually all-around terrible, because she does this outside of the car too, all of the time.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

goatse guy posted:

Pfft, as soon as they fix up the 2002 I'm going to be over there all of the time pestering them to let me borrow that instead.

Turbo is actually terrible in the car, and I dread taking her anywhere. She likes to put her feet up on the center console and put her face right in my face and pant anxiously. She's actually all-around terrible, because she does this outside of the car too, all of the time.

I really need to stop in and see the collection next time I'm in the area. Turbo, that's pretty normal blue heeler for you. They can be a bit intense but it's only usually when they're awake.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

goatse guy posted:

I know. I was so excited to find out it was an R package because I wanted to help them find more cars for their collection, but then my boss told me what he'd sell it to me for and there was no way I could let it go.

Shoulda kept your mouth shut, and you would have got it even cheaper. Then after the title is in your name is when you go "Turns out it's an R package, lucky me!"

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

NitroSpazzz posted:

I really need to stop in and see the collection next time I'm in the area. Turbo, that's pretty normal blue heeler for you. They can be a bit intense but it's only usually when they're awake.

My healer/ chow mix is just now starting to calm down at the age of 10. She used to try to attack semis as we passed them on rural roads, now she just watches them intently. She also didn't kill any chickens at the farm this year. We are very proud.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?

:aaaaa:

Holy Jesus what are these goddamn animals

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

General Wiggles posted:

Greetings from Crater Lake National Park, Oregon, AI!

I'll be living and working here for the next few months, so hopefully I can get pictures that are better than this crap quality one.

Fuuuck that's pretty. I really need to go there one day.

MonkeyNutZ
Dec 26, 2008

"A cave isn't gonna cut it, we're going to have to use Beebo"
Further proof that slow car fast is the most fun:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ihyUjnq9agU
Well, sorta fast. I've only autocrossed twice before and that was at night two years ago.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

MonkeyNutZ posted:

Further proof that slow car fast is the most fun:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ihyUjnq9agU
Well, sorta fast. I've only autocrossed twice before and that was at night two years ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IxJDPstQfkI

Yes, this song did actually come onto the radio as it was pulling up to the start.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
Inhaled some Quikcrete by accident this afternoon.

Smart brother, am I gonna die?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Bye.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter

Adiabatic posted:

Inhaled some Quikcrete by accident this afternoon.

Smart brother, am I gonna die?

I guess we'll find out when the cement cures.

I've done that before. You should be fine.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
Had my offer accepted on a house this weekend, now I need to decide if I want it. It's in a posher suburb, about a 40 min commute each way during rush hour (or 40 min - 1 hr by bike). I was looking closer in (20 min commute) but there's been very little inventory in the neighborhood that works for both me and my wife (and Californians have been driving most of it out of our price range). Ironically the posh suburb is now cheaper than the close-in middle class neighborhood.

Bird in the hand or wait for something in the bush (while we get closer to interest rates rising and real estate values here continue to skyrocket)

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

This week was my first 55 hour week in probably three months. I'm exhausted and yet I still went and washed my miata and the wife's mini as well as take the recycling to the recycling center. My wife said something that gave me pause yesterday: she said I'm laboring under the delusion that everyone else makes so much more money than I do and most people are just barely squeaking by like we are :stare: I actually agree with her and it's given me a bit of introspection that I have a chip on my shoulder towards anyone I perceive as making more than I do. I need to work on that, because honestly she's right, we aren't doing so badly.

I'm also at a loss as to what to do with the miata. I'm at a crossroads where one path leads me to gold wheels, lowering springs, and an exhaust. The other path leads me to selling the miata for the perfect daily driver for my commute and general driving; a prius. I have no idea what to do. The miata is so useless for anything outside of my daily commute and it gets lovely fuel economy to boot. I dunno. I'm trying not to rationalize myself into a prius, but an economical hatchback really has so many upsides for where I am in my life right now.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

blk posted:

Bird in the hand or wait for something in the bush (while we get closer to interest rates rising and real estate values here continue to skyrocket)

Interest rates have been low for a long time with no signs (other than the always impending apocalypse) pointing towards them going up significantly. The value, though, can be a weird one. We bought our house in 2007, right before everything took a poo poo. In 2008-2010, we were happy with a 5% equity loss, since our neighborhood is desired and relatively stable. However, in the past two years, prices have been going up at an exceptional rate. In those two years we've gone from breaking even to seeing an ~20% increase in equity since we bought the house (~25% up from the low point of the market).

With that, something is driving the price of desirable houses higher. I'd say take what you have, hope to ride the equity train, and you can always sell for more down the road if you like something better / can't stand the commute anymore.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Can you put the miata into storage and still afford a used prius?

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Cakefool posted:

Can you put the miata into storage and still afford a used prius?

No, I cant afford a prius anyway :v: I'm putting away the 'car payment' into savings every month but I'd need the payment to be like $145 for it to be feasible and that necessitates selling the miata to get something somewhat newish (2010). Also, I've had two cars for myself in the past and I start getting all fight-clubby about poo poo I own owning me when I do that :shrug:

blk
Dec 19, 2009

meatpimp posted:

Interest rates have been low for a long time with no signs (other than the always impending apocalypse) pointing towards them going up significantly. The value, though, can be a weird one. We bought our house in 2007, right before everything took a poo poo. In 2008-2010, we were happy with a 5% equity loss, since our neighborhood is desired and relatively stable. However, in the past two years, prices have been going up at an exceptional rate. In those two years we've gone from breaking even to seeing an ~20% increase in equity since we bought the house (~25% up from the low point of the market).

With that, something is driving the price of desirable houses higher. I'd say take what you have, hope to ride the equity train, and you can always sell for more down the road if you like something better / can't stand the commute anymore.

Yeah, my city (Portland) is in the midst of a boom - a bunch of people are moving here to escape rent/drought in California, and a bunch of other aimless 20 somethings from the rest of the country are somehow enamored with Portlandia and want to fulfill their wildest hipster fantasies here. Last time I lived here in 2008 the homes in consideration were about $150/sq ft; now they're about $300/sq ft - priced for Californians with a lot of cash in hand; not Oregonians, who have never been paid very well. I forget what the annual growth of the market here lately is but I think it's around 7%. The posh suburb won't gain as much equity as the closer-in parts that are more desirable to the youths, but hopefully I'd still get something out of it.

Finance people I know with no skin in real estate say rates will be going up later this year; I'm not sure how high.

BloodBag posted:

Also, I've had two cars for myself in the past and I start getting all fight-clubby about poo poo I own owning me when I do that :shrug:

I can barely stay on top of my two + the wife's lately - just too many drat things to wash. I guess if you're a collector you can afford a detailer.

blk fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Jul 11, 2015

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

60% humidity, 90 degrees, and day 8 of no air conditioning in my car. I might die on my shift tonight. I can't even get it fixed because I need new brakes and a wheel bearing first. Which I also cant afford.

:smithicide:

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

BloodBag posted:

No, I cant afford a prius anyway :v: I'm putting away the 'car payment' into savings every month but I'd need the payment to be like $145 for it to be feasible and that necessitates selling the miata to get something somewhat newish (2010). Also, I've had two cars for myself in the past and I start getting all fight-clubby about poo poo I own owning me when I do that :shrug:

I'd have no qualms buying the cheapest non-salvage prius I could find, if I were in the market for one. They're stupid reliable and designed to be under-stressed. If you're not enjoying owning the miata sell it.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

blk posted:

Had my offer accepted on a house this weekend, now I need to decide if I want it.

Having a hard time parsing this..

You made an offer on a house, but you're not sure you want to buy? Why the hell would you make an offer on a house you weren't sure on? Say good bye to the earnest money if thats the case.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Tide posted:

Having a hard time parsing this..

You made an offer on a house, but you're not sure you want to buy? Why the hell would you make an offer on a house you weren't sure on? Say good bye to the earnest money if thats the case.

Naw, there's a ton of ways out of a house contract that cost you nothing. The deal isn't done until the closing.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
ACEofsnett and I just hotwired a broken mobility scooter he found dumped in the metal recycling dumpster at his shop, after welding an old office chair to it and removing the speed controller and brakes entirely.

it has a loving wheelie bar. it needs it. i can do a drag strip style wheelie and hold it indefinitely, and chirp the tires on launch, on a slight uphill, but the tire pressures are screwed up or something and it corners hard to the right so you have to drop the front before going off the "track."

:iia:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

meatpimp posted:

Naw, there's a ton of ways out of a house contract that cost you nothing. The deal isn't done until the closing.

Yup. We did this when we moved. Offer "pending satisfactory home inspection", which leaves it open to backing out over anything. That and they had no other offers.

• Locked thread