Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

ApplesandOranges posted:

Does crafting/gathering get any less tedious? I mean I'm not expecting fountains of fun but do they get fun questlines to make up for it at least?

Some of the crafting quest cutscenes are pretty good. WVR and GSM stand out in particular.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Fister Roboto posted:

Some of the crafting quest cutscenes are pretty good. WVR and GSM stand out in particular.

Post-50 Alchemist is basically CSI Eorzea and you're the crime lab.

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

psymonkey posted:

There were about 5 people standing around watching it happen just like he describes it and all were equally puzzled. But other people on reddit are saying 500 is impossible in i180 so I dunno maybe it's a visual bug or something
it is fully possible if there is more than one DoT on the target. Maybe you're hiding other people's detrimental effects and thus did not see there already was another effect on the target?

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

Mo0 posted:

I didn't realize WTFast had a free option; are the video ads obnoxious on it?

It only does ads on like, startup? Far as I can tell. It only took like 1-2 minutes to start up, so it doesn't seem too bad.

Sad that a VPN is needed to get a not-lovely connection. Goes to show how much your ISP is loving you over every day.

Willias
Sep 3, 2008

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

All Str right side (across like 25 ilvls), all stats into Str. I was going 1-1-1 Path-Eye-Block in Deliverance and steadily swapping aggro with him after 6-7 combos. I couldn't slow down too much or else I'd drop down to 3rd.

Check his jewelry and see if he's full vit. Other than that, make sure he's actually using his threat combo. I still use full vit jewelry when main tanking, but I have all my main stats spent into STR. This expansion, there's a huge difference between having DPS jewelry and VIT jewelry equipped. Vit jewelry will give you an extra 4k HP (higher for a warrior, and that amount is huge, currently a ~33% boost in max hp), but will drastically drop your damage (and threat).

Tank's job is to get hit in the face ultimately, and VIT allows you to do that better. However, as a PLD with stat points spent into STR and all VIT jewelry, the OT can basically rip threat off of me any time he wants to just by shifting into his tank stance and continuing to DPS. Our group's BLM keeps up with me on Ravana as well, though not enough to overtake me.

It looks like this expansion main tanks will want to equip a little bit of STR jewelry.

Willias fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Jul 11, 2015

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

oh my god talking to the brooms in matoya's cave :3:

Silvergun1000
Sep 17, 2007

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.

ilifinicus posted:

At this point you're either full of poo poo, misremembering or in denial. Record it or something

You feel pretty strongly about some casual testing I did, chill out.

I'm not saying that there's something I wasn't accounting for, but nobody has brought up anything that explains what I saw so far. To be fair, this doesn't sound right to me either, but these are the results I saw.

Also keep in mind a bunch of people were there watching it so I wasn't the only one who saw this.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
I never logged out in Sea of Clouds so I never caught this until today, but it might be my favorite HW loading screen. :3:

Sea of Clouds would've been waaay cooler if it was more vertical, to distinguish itself more from Churning Mists. I would've loved climbing up some little spiral pillars or something, to look down on stuff waaay below me before getting flying mounts.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Obligatum VII posted:

It only does ads on like, startup? Far as I can tell. It only took like 1-2 minutes to start up, so it doesn't seem too bad.

Sad that a VPN is needed to get a not-lovely connection. Goes to show how much your ISP is loving you over every day.

It's more like a perfect storm of some ISPs being lovely, Level3 being garbage and Japanese netcode designed for a country where everyone has like 20ms ping to the server.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Mo0 posted:

I didn't realize WTFast had a free option; are the video ads obnoxious on it?

It shows some ads while it's starting up, that's about it. I notice them about as much as i do any other internet ads. Every couple of weeks it asks you to extend your free version and that might take a minute or two longer than normal to wait for (it makes you log out and back in again)

It's so convenient and seems to work well enough i'm actually getting tempted to buy the stupid program just to say "thanks" to them for it.

Klades
Sep 8, 2011

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

Maybe in single tank content or something but I'm pretty sure it's better overall dps if you use your enmity combo enough and absorb the slight dmg per gcd loss compared to having your OT skip entire GCDs.

If you're literally skipping GCDs instead of just using an Eye combo instead of a Butcher combo you are loving up bad.

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde

a kitten posted:

It shows some ads while it's starting up, that's about it. I notice them about as much as i do any other internet ads. Every couple of weeks it asks you to extend your free version and that might take a minute or two longer than normal to wait for (it makes you log out and back in again)

It's so convenient and seems to work well enough i'm actually getting tempted to buy the stupid program just to say "thanks" to them for it.

That's good to know, and something I'll try, then. Last time I looked into it I could've sworn there wasn't a free version. The lag issues are probably the primary reason I slowly drifted away from the game in the first place.

And yeah, if it ends up being as great as everyone says then I might end up just throwing them money. It's me, I'm the person who upgrades even when unneeded as a thank you.

kafziel
Nov 11, 2009

Minrad posted:

I never logged out in Sea of Clouds so I never caught this until today, but it might be my favorite HW loading screen. :3:

Sea of Clouds would've been waaay cooler if it was more vertical, to distinguish itself more from Churning Mists. I would've loved climbing up some little spiral pillars or something, to look down on stuff waaay below me before getting flying mounts.

That place is completely hosed if someone screws around with the Master Emerald though.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Mordiceius posted:

Only people that wear normal quality crafter gear are scrubs. :colbert:

Every time I make HQ stuff I realize that it's worth so much money if I sell it.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Mo0 posted:

That's good to know, and something I'll try, then. Last time I looked into it I could've sworn there wasn't a free version. The lag issues are probably the primary reason I slowly drifted away from the game in the first place.

And yeah, if it ends up being as great as everyone says then I might end up just throwing them money. It's me, I'm the person who upgrades even when unneeded as a thank you.

They didn't have a permanently free version until 2-3 months ago or somesuch, no.

But yeah, the dumb name aside it has worked well for me too. Although maybe I won't need it anymore once we finally get proper European servers.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
Is the FFXIV:ARR soundtrack available for purchase as a download anywhere? It's on the iTunes store, but only as 82 separate $1.29 tracks, and I could only find it as a physical disc on the S-E store.

flipoff
Nov 25, 2003

Really, bitch?

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

This dude is doing MCH right.

anyone know what the chest piece is here?

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

flipoff posted:

I think it's Snow's jacket from the FFXIII event. Who knows if that'll ever come up again, though.

flipoff
Nov 25, 2003

Really, bitch?

Dr Snofeld posted:

I think it's Snow's jacket from the FFXIII event. Who knows if that'll ever come up again, though.

drat, I only got the arcanist book from that event

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe

Always read leve text. :catstare:

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Intoluene posted:

:captainpop:

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

Intoluene posted:

:stare:

Ishgard is so hosed up.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
help me torture a stranger in our lovely religious fundamentalist theocracy for a pittance in coins and four bombs worth of xp

kojei
Feb 12, 2008

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

help me torture a stranger in our lovely religious fundamentalist theocracy for a pittance in coins and four bombs worth of xp

:911:

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
I figured out what I hate about the Alex 1 wipe mechanic:

It would be trivially easy if your party was in Mumble/similar and could quickly call which laser you were going to. Most of the DPS-caused wipes I've seen on it are just because people don't know how to divide to which laser. The only way I can think to call this in DF would be to mark lasers with letters and then call letters in text chat but that would take up way way way too much time.

It would have been a better mechanic if they had an easy way to divide responsibilities in DF, such as having the lasers be slightly staggered so you could assign two DPS to take the first that appears and two to take the second. As it is, it's one of the worst mechanics I've seen in DF content, and harder than anything else in Alexander

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
It's possible the FFXIII event will come back for the Lightning Returns PC release next month.

terrified of my bathroom
Jan 24, 2014

GAY BOATS

abraham linksys posted:

I figured out what I hate about the Alex 1 wipe mechanic:

It would be trivially easy if your party was in Mumble/similar and could quickly call which laser you were going to. Most of the DPS-caused wipes I've seen on it are just because people don't know how to divide to which laser. The only way I can think to call this in DF would be to mark lasers with letters and then call letters in text chat but that would take up way way way too much time.

It would have been a better mechanic if they had an easy way to divide responsibilities in DF, such as having the lasers be slightly staggered so you could assign two DPS to take the first that appears and two to take the second. As it is, it's one of the worst mechanics I've seen in DF content, and harder than anything else in Alexander

You literally assign one person to kill adds on one side of the arena and another person to kill adds on the other side. It's not hard at all.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

bonewitch posted:

You literally assign one person to kill adds on one side of the arena and another person to kill adds on the other side. It's not hard at all.

Yeah, my DF party didn't even need to agree on this, we just all naturally picked a corner and killed adds in our corner (lining them up with a laser if one was present) because it's kind of the obvious thing to do.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

bonewitch posted:

I didn't realize that they only appeared on opposite sides of the arena :negative:

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
Well, now that I've finally played them all and I think most players have generally gotten all of them unlocked, here's my thoughts on the new dungeons in Heavensward. I've spoilered some of them just to keep some of the mystique of the later story areas alive. These will have spoilers of any stories or plot lines within the dungeons themselves, so read at your own risk.

Dusk Vigil: Beautifully done. A fantastic dungeon and a grim, bleak way of introducing you to the world of Ishgard. One thousand years of religious zealotry has created an incredibly psychologically fragile militant society and here, frozen and facing certain death, their fanatascism prevents them from doing the sensible thing and running away. Rather than abandon their post, they just resort to violence and ultimately cannibalism. I don't know why they are now zombies, but I guess the magical nature of the endless winter in Coerthas may be a hand-wave excuse. Either way, this dungeon is quite nice--maybe a little too long, but it feels like an absolutely perfect "first" dungeon for Heavensward. The enemy encounters are generally pretty interesting, they don't repeat encounters often, and the area is divided very neatly into three seperate zones with almost completely unique enemy sets in all three. The griffin feels a bit of a letdown after all the creepiness of the Vigil itself, but it's a great fight and I like the wind gaol mechanic. Did you know the ninja can run alongside the griffin and continue to DPS during the gaol phase? His attacks are jut fast enough. I dunno if the Monk can as well, haven't tried. This dungeon is swell and great and easily one of the best of the expansion.

Sohm Al: This place is fun. I dig the look of it a lot, it reminds me of the dragon mountain in Final Fantasy 5, with its poisonous flowers and, well, all of the dragons. It's feels very much like an "ascending" level, and you're always climbing higher and higher, both in the actual environment and in the danger of the encounters. It's pretty much a four-man remix of the Second Binding Coil of Bahamut, complete with a Rafflesia rematch at the base and Tioman summoning Nael's meteors. Tioman is actually a kind of challenging final boss and requires you to pay attention to mechanics, which will punish you a lot more harshly than the griffin's did. It's simple and fun, but it feels a little plain to me. I don't know if a Hard Mode would improve it much either. It's a dungeon that, if remixed, I'd like to see done completely differently--maybe having the plant monsters have taken control of the mountain now that you killed the dragons living there, with more environmental hazards and the like...something to make it stand out a bit more. It's still a lot better than...

The Aery: Probably my least favorite dungeon of this expansion. It just inspires so very little in me--the two minibosses are actually quite fun and thematically fitting. I guess it just feels a bit "more of the same" right after Sohm Al, which was another dragon place. The fact that the Aery is really just a series of narrow pathways without any real variety to the map makes me feel like it was designed primarily to emphasize the spectacle, and the gameplay reflects that. It's not hard, it's not really that interesting, and the enemy encounters feel pretty basic. Yeah, you can trigger the sleeping dragons, but they're not a particularly troublesome mob to kill. Ultimately, the battle against Nidhogg feels like a major letdown, since he's been A) debuffed and B) is pretty piss-easy. Having this Great Wyrm battle built up as much as it was, only to have it basically boil down to a long period of uninterrupted DPS, three waves of easy adds, and then the fight's basically done. It was a big letdown, but now that I have beaten the game, I reckon it's intended to feel so. We're DEFINITELY going to have an Aery Hard, because Nidhogg owes us a rematch. With both of his eyes and his body regained, we're finally going to have to have a proper duel with him, and I hope the developers can redeem this otherwise tedious experience lap of a dungeon.

The Vault: Beautiful dungeon. Just gorgeous looking, maybe the most graphically impressive of the bunch. It's a wonderful change of pace from all the dragons, and the theme is contained to this dungeon alone--we don't have another area where we fight a bunch of knights and weird clockwork horses. In fact, the presence of eerie technology and knights with strange powers foreshadows the final dungeon in a small way, which is kind of neato. The boss battles here are a nice example of good "escalation", where you have a first straightforward fight with few gimmicks to introduce you to the Knights of the Round. Then the second fight introduces environmental obstacles and mechanics. The final boss then uses environmental obstacles, mechanics, AND conjures adds. None of the battles feel particularly tedious, and you tend to get a different combination of soldiers in every encounter. Plus I really like those horse robot enemies. Another great dungeon and the perfect chaser to the Aery.

The Great Gubal Library: First of all, why isn't this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=olLIzCLM4e4 the theme for this level? I don't think the theme is a remix of it, and I think the FFV references clearly...ah whatever. The dungeon DOES have a pretty sweet theme tune, and to be honest, I love this dungeon to pieces. Fighting inkwells and carnivorous books just fills me with glee. It's goofy and strange and magical, exactly like Sharlayan should be, and it feels right at home in the earliest classic Final Fantasies. It could easily have been an FF1 dungeon. I like the layout of the fights and the arrangements, and it never feels particularly overwhelming except for the mechanically complex bosses. A demon wall tribute right out the gate (granted, with much of his teeth removed) and the classic FF5 boss Byblos following him with some tether-mechanics to keep you on your toes, the final boss is a real treat. Unique visually and his gimmick is quite a curveball when you first encounter it, then a great challenge in coordinating a party in your subsequent ones. Everything about this place is great and I expect we shall get a Hard Mode very soon.

The Aetherochemical Research Facility : This is a fun one as well. A great gauntlet of varied enemy types, and having these cool Egyptian dudes show up was a nice touch. I dig that Allagan has actually only continued to grow more interesting, despite the fact we have already killed its Emperor. The automated stuff is a great touch and it feels properly climactic. In fact, it also echoes the Coil of Bahamut, perhaps to give a sense of satisfaction to players who could never overcome the Coil's exceeding difficulty. I really like the twin Ascian fight at the end. It's a great reversal to our encounter with Lahabrea after Ultima Weapon, and it really shows just how powerful the Warrior of Light has become. In fact, I'm concerned a bit that the player character's outrageous power level is going to make it difficult to keep the story paced well in future installments, but I digress. This is a great final dungeon and it's such an improvement over the fuckshow that is Castrum and Praetorium in that there's no cutscene interruption and what story it wants to tell is actually told in gameplay. Oh and the second boss is hella cool. Despite being the final dungeon, I'd be okay with this place getting a Hard Mode remix as well--perhaps in lieu of a HM Vault, we could have a rematch with the Knights of Ishgard here instead.

Neverreap: What a beautiful tease this one is, the first dungeon you may see on the map and yet one of the last you'll unlock. Neverreap is really cool. A floating sky island is a great set piece for a dungeon and I've always enjoyed these big outdoor dungeons, like Hullbreaker and Brayflox. This place is tougher than Wanderer's Palace ever was, and feels like a major leap in difficulty from the "regular" HW dungeons. I am not sure I have much to say about this one--the second boss is fun, and I really dig these Beastmen-themed dungeons. I hope in the future patches we actually get more dungeons like this--an Ixal dungeon and a Kobold dungeon especially. Maybe turn a Gnath Hive into a dungeon instance? At anyrate, this place is a blast, and seems a lot better balanced than the other extreme dungeon currently on the market.The final boss having ledges you can fall off of was a fantastic surprise.

The Fractal Continuum: A really great blend of lore and dungeon, and it mirrors the Dusk Vigil in an enjoyable way, with its plethora of readable information and its cool unique dungeon theme. The enemies here are neat, of course, more robots to bust up and it's great to see even more varieties of Allagan junk to smash. The final boss has been an incredible mixed-bag experience. Getting blocked in by damage zones on one side and landmines on the other while evading or chasing after adds is a recipe for incredible clusterfucks. The chaos of the fight is matched only by the orderly precision a group must use to actually clear it. It's a great looking boss and, much like its echoes with Dusk Vigil, the boss is...kind of...a griffon as well, thus book-ending the 3.0 dungeons quite neatly.

As for what the future holds, I definitely want to have a few more adventures in the Hinterlands. I want more Sharlayan ruins--at least just one more, some cool kooky magical laboratory or, better yet, some mundane place transformed into something deadly by sorcery. The hard mode remixes have always been enjoyable and generally improvements over originals so I have every expectation they will be quite something to see. I hope they do some hard modes for the previous patch dungeons--I'd love to see a Hullbreaker Hard mode!

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

bonewitch posted:

You can even just have the tanks drag them reasonably close to the lasers if you absolutely need to get the point across.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
There's always one laser on each end of the arena. Tell your DPS to split between the two bosses and do the nearby laser. Problem solved.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

flipoff posted:

I'm pretty sure it's the Snow coat from the FFXIII events.

Also I love when I see people with the SOLDIER OF FORTUNE tag who aren't in any FC. :allears:

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

cheetah7071 posted:

There's always one laser on each end of the arena. Tell your DPS to split between the two bosses and do the nearby laser. Problem solved.

Yeah that's what my group did without even talking about it. Had one wipe and then people just handled the adds properly and it was no problem. The difficulty of Alexander feels just right, it's doable with a good DF group but you still need to pay close attention to mechanics.

Doublestep
Sep 8, 2013

Keep on keeping on!

Kitfox88 posted:

I'm pretty sure it's the Snow coat from the FFXIII events.

Also I love when I see people with the SOLDIER OF FORTUNE tag who aren't in any FC. :allears:

It looks like they're in a duty and duties don't display FC tags soooo

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Is anyone else having connection issues?

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Doublestep posted:

It looks like they're in a duty and duties don't display FC tags soooo

don't ruin my dreams taresh

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
My company ain't free, Gil up front only :colbert:

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Vermain posted:

You can even just have the tanks drag them reasonably close to the lasers if you absolutely need to get the point across.

You can just drag the adds to the lasers as a tank and kill the add yourself. Assuming that you won't tether the two bosses together of course.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

SirPhoebos posted:

Is anyone else having connection issues?

I'm on PS4 and I can't load the Final Fantasy XIV thingy at all. I just get the music and a white screen.

• Locked thread