Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
ive got some NI plugins and some Waves plugins and i can do whatever with em

i dont like hardware any more especially old hardware because you never get machine state back. either you finish this snowflake of a track right now or you'll never be able to match up the patch later

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zam Wesell
Mar 22, 2009

[Zam is suddenly shot in the neck by a toxic dart; Anakin and Obi-Wan see a "rocket-man" take off and fly away, and Zam dies]

Jonny 290 posted:

i dont like hardware any more especially old hardware because you never get machine state back. either you finish this snowflake of a track right now or you'll never be able to match up the patch later

that has merit sometimes. ~in the moment~. depends on the trreack tho. works fine for cool techno/electro jams. pita if you're making a 20 min idm magnum opus

Olivil
Jul 15, 2010

Wow I'd like to be as smart as a computer
im in the process of building a plate reverb for a friend

the 1.2 m x 2.4 m x 0.75 mm (30 mil) cold rolled steel plate has been bought

im going to buy the frame material today, to be welded by another friend on the coming week(s) i guess

already have a couple of piezo elements for the pickups

now i need to decide wether i hack together a transducer from a speaker or i buy one of these which is $50 USD with shipping...

edit: ill prolly make one because these 1.2 lbs vidsonix ghost must be mounted directly on the plate vs a speaker where i can mount it on a transverse on the frame with only the element touching the plate

Olivil fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Jul 9, 2015

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009

Jonny 290 posted:

honestly this can be a positive for me and it's a big part of why i find myself attracted to modular synths. everything is ephemeral, you lose it all when you unpatch it.

bing_commander
Aug 14, 2009

In other news..
my watch has a pretty nice oscillator, it loses less than ten seconds a month

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Mr. Glass posted:

honestly this can be a positive for me and it's a big part of why i find myself attracted to modular synths. everything is ephemeral, you lose it all when you unpatch it.

I am an objectively bad musician and songwriter. if you have the creative spark you can do this. i pretty much have re-centered around a live performance notion, so i need instant repeatability

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009
i mean i'm objectively bad too but i find i enjoy the ephemerality more than trying to carefully craft every little piece

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

If you have an analog synth can you put pedals inline with the various patch cables?

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

spankmeister posted:

If you have an analog synth can you put pedals inline with the various patch cables?

barring impedance and voltage fuckery, dont see why not

it wont really work on CV but if you're piping audio, sure

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009

spankmeister posted:

depends, some pedals don't like the extra hot signals you typically get out of a modular setup. you can get special modules that are designed to help you integrate a pedal effects loop into your setup, like this one

http://busycircuits.com/alm006/

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
i find hardware synths interesting from a technological perspective but i wouldn't want to actually use any... i went to talk last night where some dude who works with mouse on mars brought a robot he made that played glitchy drums, it was pretty cool! but that's not at all how i wanna make music. in his presentation he was like, everyone wants knobs and sliders, and i positively don't. I don't want a controller with knobs to turn and buttons to push, that poo poo isn't for me. i'm not a good instrumentalist, i don't record parts from my keyboard, i don't want to perform automation, or fingerdrum, or play live, i don't design sounds like that either. so yeah in the box rules gear drools imma click in the piano roll all day long

vst chat

my workhorse is massive, i've made a huge bank (500+ presets) that has really good defaults for most of my needs, and i know it inside out so that when i want a specific thing i haven't already made i can dial it in quickly.

i used to use sylenth1 a whole lot, i had a pad there that i used for compositional improv all the time, but between learning more about massive and my lovely oxygen61 that i bought before i knew how bad m-audio are and that has been sending ghost midi cc changes for months now that gently caress up the current patch in sylenth when its track is armed, i really only go to it any more when i want the one specific sound that sylenth does better than anything else i've heard (fuckoff huge supersaws)

after those two there's a real drop-off and i don't really use anything else with any regularity. i like the minimoog v and z3ta+2 but they hardly ever get any play, it's mostly for when i'm bored and want a fresh gui. i haven't delved into absynth or fm8 with the seriousness they deserve, but i'll sometimes go preset hopping to see if i find anything cool. and then i have two synths that i don't think i've ever used in a track (firebird 2 and FAW circle). and there are a few neat reaktor ensembles but that's also a giant unexplored area that i wanna get into at some point, perhaps.

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009
one of the best things about making electronic music is that there are about a million different ways to make a circuit go bleep bloop

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
arguing about the superiority of either is loving dumb.

make a bleep and a bloop.

e: making hardware fetishists angry is really funny though

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

Olivil posted:

im in the process of building a plate reverb for a friend

the 1.2 m x 2.4 m x 0.75 mm (30 mil) cold rolled steel plate has been bought

im going to buy the frame material today, to be welded by another friend on the coming week(s) i guess

already have a couple of piezo elements for the pickups

now i need to decide wether i hack together a transducer from a speaker or i buy one of these which is $50 USD with shipping...

edit: ill prolly make one because these 1.2 lbs vidsonix ghost must be mounted directly on the plate vs a speaker where i can mount it on a transverse on the frame with only the element touching the plate

this is cool as hell, hard/soft synth blabbering is not. only someone who failed to take accidental space spy seriously could be incredulous over why people would still use hardware synths.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
this was the dude btw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FFxJztQUGjw

and this was the robot he brought

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjTHArshaBM

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

awoken in control of a lucid deep dream...
i like massive. the modulation stuff is really well done, the ui is great (except for the knobs. why the gently caress does everyone think knobs are a good idea to operate with a loving mouse, or a touchscreen, what the hell is wrong with you idiots) and it's super versatile. operator is pretty cool too.

i haven't really gotten very in-depth with anything yet though. still kind of scratching the surface of komplete9+live studio's massive (heh) variety of stuff. it's hard to dive into any one thing v deeply because i easily get distracted and i don't really know what kinds of sounds i want to make yet. once i identify one i can usually figure it out / find a youtube tutorial on how to do it.

for me, i like soft synths because being able to take my entire studio with me in a bag w/ a laptop, external hdd (lol kontakt's enormous library), headphones and a controller is great. i love my push because it gives me that "this is a physical instrument" feel without tying me to any particular instrument; i like the "grid of buttons" layout because i never learned to play any other instrument so it makes perfect sense to me as the interface you would make if you had no physical constraints like "this has to activate some hammers that hit strings" and whatnot. at first i thought that every note being in key would totally jumpstart me way ahead, but that turns out not to actually matter that much.

it's kind of heavy to carry with me though, and it doesn't have any actual faders, so i end up using my ipad as a controller too, which is just ok. it'll be better when the 12" ipad comes out.

im only in year 2 of actually trying to produce music coming from zero music bg, though, so i'm not too worried about it yet. i was more worried for the last six months because it felt like i'd plateaued, wasn't making any progress, and i'd read way too much stuff about how oh no! if you don't get musical training by (my age-5 years) you won't ever really "get" music! but recently i noticed that i was actually making some ok sounding melodies and rhythms and my arrangements are actually starting to make sense. so maybe in another couple of years i'll have made some things that i actually want to play in my dj sets.

also finally starting to get over myself with the "everything must be completely original" bullshit that i started with. i now realize that even were i to essentially recapitulate the exact melodies/rhythms from three songs i'd heard last week that's still "original" because they're the three songs i heard last week.

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

wow thats a lot of words. sorry about that

Zam Wesell
Mar 22, 2009

[Zam is suddenly shot in the neck by a toxic dart; Anakin and Obi-Wan see a "rocket-man" take off and fly away, and Zam dies]
Push is great.

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

Granbar posted:

Push is great.

c. i wonder what push 2 will be like.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai
how is not being able to store patches a positive lmao. your electronic music isn't a Buddhist sand painting

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

wayfinder posted:

my workhorse is massive, i've made a huge bank (500+ presets) that has really good defaults for most of my needs, and i know it inside out so that when i want a specific thing i haven't already made i can dial it in quickly.

i used to use sylenth1 a whole lot, i had a pad there that i used for compositional improv all the time, but between learning more about massive and my lovely oxygen61 that i bought before i knew how bad m-audio are and that has been sending ghost midi cc changes for months now that gently caress up the current patch in sylenth when its track is armed, i really only go to it any more when i want the one specific sound that sylenth does better than anything else i've heard (fuckoff huge supersaws)

after those two there's a real drop-off and i don't really use anything else with any regularity. i like the minimoog v and z3ta+2 but they hardly ever get any play, it's mostly for when i'm bored and want a fresh gui. i haven't delved into absynth or fm8 with the seriousness they deserve, but i'll sometimes go preset hopping to see if i find anything cool. and then i have two synths that i don't think i've ever used in a track (firebird 2 and FAW circle). and there are a few neat reaktor ensembles but that's also a giant unexplored area that i wanna get into at some point, perhaps.

Yeah I tend to focus on 1 or 2 vsts at a time for "real work". Massive is such a great all rounder.

Grooveboxes/drum machines are another story. I load up reaktor and load all kinds of crazy poo poo because I can't drum on a keyboard for poo poo and find "seeding" groove boxes easier than playing.

newscool is a really fun reaktor ensemble for this. you program it with a conway's game of life grid and it produces surprisingly sick beats.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5u5vBAMcLUE

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I'd really like to get into grid layout controllers. I bought a mini novation lauchpad a while back but never really got into the groove with it. I come from a piano playing background (in fact the only reason I got into daws/vsts in the first place was so I could play a nice sounding piano in my tiny bedroom at university)

anyway grid controllers are cool and some time I'm going to practice using it and get good. the push looks like a completely natural extension of ableton

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
every computer comes with the perfect renoise controller

shame it cant midi sync worth a gently caress so its worthless for live perf. i gotta pre-render =/

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Jonny 290 posted:

every computer comes with the perfect renoise controller

shame it cant midi sync worth a gently caress so its worthless for live perf. i gotta pre-render =/

trackers are so cool. they encourage a certain style of composition that is responsible for the weird pseudo baroque music from 8/16 bit video games. if I ever start a chiptune project I'm definitely using renoise

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

actually it's really good for breakcore too, I'm pretty sure venetian snares uses it

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
he does, among other artists

once you learn the interpolations (set filter to 00 at the beginning of pattern, FF at the end, highlight the column and Interpolate along your choice of curves) and the fast editing keys you can lay out a track in minutes.

I love it for writing on the bus because you do not need the mouse at all which is a benefit on a lovely bouncy RTD accordion

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

that arcing electricity bass sound is cool as hell

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Jonny 290 posted:

he does, among other artists

once you learn the interpolations (set filter to 00 at the beginning of pattern, FF at the end, highlight the column and Interpolate along your choice of curves) and the fast editing keys you can lay out a track in minutes.

I love it for writing on the bus because you do not need the mouse at all which is a benefit on a lovely bouncy RTD accordion

this makes it soundl ike vim for audio. dammit I need to try it out again

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

the roland system-1 vst is now has a trial version

http://www.rolandus.com/products/system-1_software_synthesizer/downloads/

sounds great

good jovi
Dec 11, 2000

I'd never seen Renoise before, this is really nice. The keyboard shortcuts are kind of brutal on a macbook, though.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

a friend of mine raves about the redux sampler that comes with it. you can get that as a standalone vst now

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

good jovi posted:

I'd never seen Renoise before, this is really nice. The keyboard shortcuts are kind of brutal on a macbook, though.

i agree. real keyboard with f-keys and a tenkey improves it TREMENDOUSLY

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

my workflow is open ableton, pick instrument at random, fiddle knobs, make an 8-bar loop, get bored, and sing into a pitch tracker to arrange bad midi interpretations of whatever I'm currently listening to instead

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Amethyst posted:

pyf vst synths

I mess with tons of them but always find myself using razor, monark and sylenth for everything

razor is my favourite I think

razor is thhe best synth its true

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

razor + logic built in stuff thats it tjats all u need

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

yeah man. those additive oscillators are so diverse and clean sounding, as are the filters, and everything else in the chain including the stereo effects

the routing isn't as flexible as something like massive but it has the best ui i've ever seen on a synth which makes it so easy to dial up whatever sound you have in your head

Amethyst fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Jul 10, 2015

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Amethyst posted:

yeah man. those additive oscillators are so diverse and clean sounding, as are the filters, and everything else in the chain including the stereo effects

the routing isn't as flexible as something like razor but it has the best ui i've ever seen on a synth which makes it so easy to dial up whatever sound you have in your head

seriously anyone designing a soft synth needs to spend a day with it and realise how to make a useful and powerful UI that isnt obscuring anything:

its pretty hard on the CPU tho, but its worth it

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
someone is auctioning a cs-80

no legs, no cover, has a midi mod, $20,000

Clavavisage
Nov 12, 2011
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LEw8OkZI6D4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unless
Jul 24, 2005

I art

gently caress yeah vst and soft chat, hardware nerds keep jerking off over their way too expensive modulars in the musician's lounge synth thread

tho a real cs 80 makes my blade runner dreams all tickly. sitting down and playing the arturia cs80 vst to the opening is so loving satisfying you should all try it sometime.

this is my loadout these days:

synths:

drums:

most fun I've had has been with the physical modeling synths. If you have ableton suite you already have tension, collision, electric. same company makes the stuff under 'physical' above, sounds soooooooo good. i really wanna play with madrona labs' stuff, aalto and kaivo, a lot more.

i got renoise last month and that's been a lot of fun to play with. really breaks me out of my ableton loop mode and gives me some technical challenges as i create and recreate between both. i played out a live acid set with a push, apc40, and padkontrol at our solstice party which came out sick. i was listening to a lot of container and was stacking maxed high-gain DC utility effects and throwing them each into a channel with a limiter, came out brutal. i wanna be cool like this guy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ePRP7GXzqyI&t=54s

loving drum programming man. i'm sitting down with everything i've read in that one drum programming book from the 80s and trying build the racks and samples but gently caress man i just end up going back to a 909 plugin. i'm playing with fxpansion's tremor, and had a copy of microtonic, but neither are really doing it for me. is it that electronic drums are so drat heavily sample based or what? I want a lot more variety in what I can play with but that isn't really a knob thing is it? someone help me come up with something better to do next time i get listless and don't want to sit around organizing drum samples again. i gotta find something more intuitive to do so i can just dial in what i'm hearing in my head and make it all spicy so people will wanna dance to it.

i'm just getting into using swing stuff a lot more, though i have no loving idea where to start with goddamn grooves in ableton. like, i've watched videos, but starting to just up and save the grooves from tracks i like seems weird. what am i missing? i come from playing piano solo performances at carnegie hall to translating that into a solo musical existence, what from a drummer's stand point is groove push-pulling that isn't intuitive to me?

Amethyst posted:

I'd really like to get into grid layout controllers. I bought a mini novation lauchpad a while back but never really got into the groove with it. I come from a piano playing background (in fact the only reason I got into daws/vsts in the first place was so I could play a nice sounding piano in my tiny bedroom at university)

anyway grid controllers are cool and some time I'm going to practice using it and get good. the push looks like a completely natural extension of ableton

all of it comes from the monome people. if you dive into push, be ready to spend a good chunk of time organizing and macro'ing knobs for plugins, very few come ready to play straight outta the box. wicked fun though, and god drat does it scratch my drum machine itch when i use the step sequencer. making it responsive (dialing log curves, breaking in the buttons, etc) are gonna take time for it to make the sounds you hear. there's still a lot of dumb stuff around having to have everything ready to use with push (assigning mod wheel, bar loop and playback length) and god drat does it have a gently caress ton of functions hidden under pressing buttons several times, with the shift key, or hitting two at the same time, but the manual drat near two years on keeps growing,so that's a good thing i guess.

also, whoever posted ceephax acid crew, :rock:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ruc0TnSSi9Y

• Locked thread