Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

Migeman posted:

I was wondering, do any of you lot stream your PS3 with the Elgato HD? Because for some reason, the colours are all incredibly bright and oversaturated even when I change the colours in either the PS3 or the Elgato programme. I've got zero issues with the PS4.

The other thing I thought was maybe it's the cable used. I don't know if I'm better off with the component adaptor.

I don't currently stream it but I've done it before, didn't have any color issues that I know of. I used the set of component cables that came with the Elgato to hook it up since I don't have a regular set.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
Alright, I've been trying to figure this out and I'm coming up with nothing. I'm using my Elgato Game HD to try and record off of the Nintendo 64; I've figured out how to hook it up so I can get the image on my computer screen, but I can't figure out how I'll get it to my television, too. I don't think connecting an HDMI cable to the Elgato and to the TV will do the trick, since it's an N64.

Can anyone help me out with this? If it'd be easier that way, feel free to add me on AIM or Skype (both are in my profile).

Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

In lieu of meaningful text, I'm just going to mention I've been exploding all day and now it hurts to breathe, so I'm sure you all understand.

Leavemywife posted:

Alright, I've been trying to figure this out and I'm coming up with nothing. I'm using my Elgato Game HD to try and record off of the Nintendo 64; I've figured out how to hook it up so I can get the image on my computer screen, but I can't figure out how I'll get it to my television, too. I don't think connecting an HDMI cable to the Elgato and to the TV will do the trick, since it's an N64.

Can anyone help me out with this? If it'd be easier that way, feel free to add me on AIM or Skype (both are in my profile).

Ideally, you'd use an S-Video cable like this, hook the S-Video into the capture card and the composite to your TV.

Though the HDMI out should be outputting the same signal it's sending over the USB, so it may be worth giving that a shot first.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

Leavemywife posted:

I have cable splitters attached to the console output. One of the splits goes to my capture device, the other goes to my monitor. If your TV can't handle the signal from those, this thing works well enough for the price to get old systems working on modern TVs.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008S7EYW2

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

A question about the PointResize filter in Avisynth. From what I understand, if you increase the resolution by a decimal as opposed to an integer, then it can affect the quality of the footage. Does this hold true if you increase the resolution by a decimal but the aspect ratio is the same? I'm asking because I'm recording an RPGmaker game so the default resolution is 544x416, and I'd rather up it to 1280x960 rather than 1088x832.

Mico
Jan 29, 2011

A billion dollars.

Genocyber posted:

A question about the PointResize filter in Avisynth. From what I understand, if you increase the resolution by a decimal as opposed to an integer, then it can affect the quality of the footage. Does this hold true if you increase the resolution by a decimal but the aspect ratio is the same? I'm asking because I'm recording an RPGmaker game so the default resolution is 544x416, and I'd rather up it to 1280x960 rather than 1088x832.

I ran into this problem with cooking mama, my solution was I would Point Resize the DS footage up to 512x768 and then Spline64Resize back down to 480x720 so that youtube wouldn't chew it up.

Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

In lieu of meaningful text, I'm just going to mention I've been exploding all day and now it hurts to breathe, so I'm sure you all understand.

Genocyber posted:

Because of the way point resize works, yes it would gently caress it up, doubly so for things like pixel art and text. Bite the bullet and go for the weird resolution.

The trick of point resizing above your intended resolution the using a fancier filter to downsize it works better for things where a little fuzziness won't hurt the final product too much.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Mico posted:

I ran into this problem with cooking mama, my solution was I would Point Resize the DS footage up to 512x768 and then Spline64Resize back down to 480x720 so that youtube wouldn't chew it up.

Edward_Tohr posted:

Because of the way point resize works, yes it would gently caress it up, doubly so for things like pixel art and text. Bite the bullet and go for the weird resolution.

The trick of point resizing above your intended resolution the using a fancier filter to downsize it works better for things where a little fuzziness won't hurt the final product too much.

Cool, thanks for the prompt answers. It's hard to find good information about this stuff.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Update on the Powerline Adapter thing: It does work, but it needs an ISP. That's probably an obvious thing, I'm assuming. Also, speeds are based on your plan with said ISP.

Migeman
Aug 1, 2011
I seem to be having a problem with my HD PVR. I recently recorded about 5 parts of something. I checked out each video in VLC and the audio is working fine on them and so is the video. I'm now about to start working on them I've dragged each one into Sony Vegas to see how they do and all of them have the audio missing in Sony Vegas.

All my God of War raw files have their audio tracks in. This hasn't happened before either. I don't know what's causing this to happen. Any ideas?

Migeman fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Jul 11, 2015

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
Edward, Mikey, thank you guys for your help!

Mico
Jan 29, 2011

A billion dollars.

Migeman posted:

I seem to be having a problem with my HD PVR. I recently recorded about 5 parts of something. I checked out each video in VLC and the audio is working fine on them and so is the video. I'm now about to start working on them I've dragged each one into Sony Vegas to see how they do and all of them have the audio missing in Sony Vegas.

All my God of War raw files have their audio tracks in. This hasn't happened before either. I don't know what's causing this to happen. Any ideas?

You know Sony Vegas can't handle m2ts/ts files properly right? and that you have to remux them to mp4?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

widespread posted:

Update on the Powerline Adapter thing: It does work, but it needs an ISP. That's probably an obvious thing, I'm assuming. Also, speeds are based on your plan with said ISP.

Wait, what? What did you buy, because powerline adapters should just be ethernet devices that extend your LAN.

Migeman
Aug 1, 2011

Mico posted:

You know Sony Vegas can't handle m2ts/ts files properly right? and that you have to remux them to mp4?

Really? I've never had to do anything like that before.

I've also fixed the setting in total media extreme. Some person said to switch AAC to AC3. I don't if I changed that setting at some point or if it defaulted but it's been over 6 months since I last recorded something.

Mico
Jan 29, 2011

A billion dollars.

Migeman posted:

Really? I've never had to do anything like that before.

I've also fixed the setting in total media extreme. Some person said to switch AAC to AC3. I don't if I changed that setting at some point or if it defaulted but it's been over 6 months since I last recorded something.

Take your HDPVR file, open the HD Streams Extractor in MeGUI and extract the files to .264 and .m4a files, then open up Muxer > MP4 muxer and load the two files that it just created and put them back together.

The whole process takes about 45 seconds and will solve your problem entirely.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
I'm utterly at my wit's end here. I'm working on the final video for my LP and wanted to do a stupid joke where I cut to a couple clips from Clue the Movie between the different endings.

The clips that I grabbed off youtube (because I don't have the DVD) are 480x360, recorded in 44,100Hz, and 29.97 FPS. My video is 1280x720, 48,000Hz, and 30 FPS.

code:
m1 = AVISource("E:\Recordings\mars-pc 2015-07-10 16-26-14-538.avi").ConverttoYV12()
clue1 = DirectShowSource("E:\Video\Youtube\Clue Alternate Ending Segue.mp4").Lanczos4Resize(960, 720).AddBorders(160, 0, 160, 0).ConverttoYV12().ChangeFPS(30).SSRC(48000).MergeChannels()
clue2 = DirectShowSource("E:\Video\Youtube\Clue Alternate Ending Segue 2.mp4").Lanczos4Resize(960, 720).AddBorders(160, 0, 160, 0).ConverttoYV12().ChangeFPS(30).SSRC(48000).MergeChannels()

t1 = Trim(m1, 191751, 196791) #intro
ff1 = ChangeSpeed(Trim(m1, 196791, 202649), 2) #enrichment for the last time
t2 = Trim(m1, 202649, 220750) #ending 1
t3 = Trim(m1, 220949, 227365) #ending 2
t4 = Trim(m1, 227476, 0) #The end!

video = (t1 ++ ff1 ++ t2 ++ clue1 ++ t3 ++ clue2 ++ t4)

return video
This is what I eventually wound up with, which is all well and good, except that it causes Avisynth to spew out an error I've never seen before, and I'm pretty certain nobody else has either.

"Evaluate: Operands of `++' must be clips
(New file, Line 12)"

Changing all the ++ to + causes it to similarly complain about those.

Am I just completely overlooking something simple in my effort to make a lovely joke?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Can't see anything wrong by reading, but try writing it like this instead:

code:
video = t1
video = video ++ ff1
video = video ++ t2
video = video ++ clue1
video = video ++ t3
video = video ++ clue2
video = video ++ t4
return video
That should have it tell you more precisely where things go wrong.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

nielsm posted:

Can't see anything wrong by reading, but try writing it like this instead:

code:
video = t1
video = video ++ ff1
video = video ++ t2
video = video ++ clue1
video = video ++ t3
video = video ++ clue2
video = video ++ t4
return video
That should have it tell you more precisely where things go wrong.

The error is occurring at the "video = video ++ clue1" line. I wonder why the interpreter isn't reading clue1 and clue2 as clips :psyduck:

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
What happens if you put "return clue1" right below the line that says "clue1 =" ?

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Suspicious Dish posted:

What happens if you put "return clue1" right below the line that says "clue1 =" ?

The preview window says "Not a clip".

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Try this:
code:
function GetType(v) {
return select(isbool(v)?0:isclip(v)?1:isint(v)?2:isfloat(v)?3:isstring(v)?4:5, "bool", "clip", "int", "float", "string", "unknown")
}
return t1.subtitle(gettype(clue1))

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Actually, try removing MergeChannels, I don't think it what you want.

If you have a mono/stereo mismatch, fix that in a different way.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

nielsm posted:

Actually, try removing MergeChannels, I don't think it what you want.

If you have a mono/stereo mismatch, fix that in a different way.

Alright, I fixed the issue completely.

Here's how it worked:

Despite having read over the OP, I missed the part where it said to not use DirectShowSource. That was the cause of all of my problems with the video. What I did instead was use FFAudioSource and FFVideoSource, then AudioDubbed the two together.

code:
m1 = AVISource("E:\Recordings\mars-pc 2015-07-10 16-26-14-538.avi").ConverttoYV12()

ca1 = FFAudioSource("E:\Video\Youtube\Clue Alternate Ending Segue.mp4")
cv1 = FFVideoSource("E:\Video\Youtube\Clue Alternate Ending Segue.mp4")
clue1 = AudioDUb(cv1, ca1).Lanczos4Resize(960, 720).AddBorders(160, 0, 160, 0).ConverttoYV12().ChangeFPS(30).SSRC(48000)
ca2 = FFAudioSource("E:\Video\Youtube\Clue Alternate Ending Segue 2.mp4")
cv2 = FFVideoSource("E:\Video\Youtube\Clue Alternate Ending Segue 2.mp4")
clue2 = AudioDub(cv2, ca2).Lanczos4Resize(960, 720).AddBorders(160, 0, 160, 0).ConverttoYV12().ChangeFPS(30).SSRC(48000)

t1 = Trim(m1, 191751, 196791) #intro
ff1 = ChangeSpeed(Trim(m1, 196791, 202649), 2) #enrichment for the last time
t2 = Trim(m1, 202649, 220750) #ending 1
t3 = Trim(m1, 220949, 227365) #ending 2
t4 = FadeOut(Trim(m1, 227476, 238035), 30) #The end!

video = (t1 ++ ff1 ++ t2 ++ clue1 ++ t3 ++ clue2 ++ t4)

return video
Thanks you two! :D

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
Yeah. I think MergeChannels returns an audio-only clip, so you'll need to use it to dub. Try:

code:
clue1 = DirectShowSource("E:\Video\Youtube\Clue Alternate Ending Segue.mp4").Lanczos4Resize(960, 720).AddBorders(160, 0, 160, 0).ConverttoYV12().ChangeFPS(30).SSRC(48000)
clue1 = AudioDubEx(clip1, MixChannels(clue1, clue1))

Migeman
Aug 1, 2011

Mico posted:

Take your HDPVR file, open the HD Streams Extractor in MeGUI and extract the files to .264 and .m4a files, then open up Muxer > MP4 muxer and load the two files that it just created and put them back together.

The whole process takes about 45 seconds and will solve your problem entirely.

Oh my god. I don't have a clue what I'm doing with this MeGUI. When I do the HD Stream Extractor I seem to error or something and it creates a notepad with this error.

[a02] Decoding with DirectShow (Nero Audio Decoder 2)...
[a02] Getting "Nero Audio Decoder 2" instance failed. <ERROR>
Aborted at file position 3145728. <ERROR>

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
Is there something I can do with Fraps to make it cause less slowdown? I'm getting intermittent framerate loss. I'd use a capture card but I'm playing in 1440.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

signalnoise posted:

Is there something I can do with Fraps to make it cause less slowdown? I'm getting intermittent framerate loss. I'd use a capture card but I'm playing in 1440.

First thing is figuring out whether it's pegging on capture (getting screen picture back to RAM/CPU from the GPU), encoding/processing (turning the raw pictures into something suitable for writing to a video file), or writing the video to disk.

The first is pretty much non-fixable as it's a combination of GPU model, system bus bandwidth, RAM bandwidth and what else might possibly interfere with bus operation.
The second is largely a CPU bound operation, though potentially also RAM bandwidth bound.
The last is a disk bound operation, a good SSD as destination is by far the best.

It can also be a problem if your machine struggles to run the game without capturing, as it'll have to divide resources between running the game and capturing+encoding and something will lose out.

nielsm fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Jul 13, 2015

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

nielsm posted:

First thing is figuring out whether it's pegging on capture (getting screen picture back to RAM/CPU from the GPU), encoding/processing (turning the raw pictures into something suitable for writing to a video file), or writing the video to disk.

The first is pretty much non-fixable as it's a combination of GPU model, system bus bandwidth, RAM bandwidth and what else might possibly interfere with bus operation.
The second is largely a CPU bound operation, though potentially also RAM bandwidth bound.
The last is a disk bound operation, a good SSD as destination is by far the best.

It can also be a problem if your machine struggles to run the game without capturing, as it'll have to divide resources between running the game and capturing+encoding and something will lose out.

My PC runs games just fine, it's a pretty powerful machine. I'll see about dumping to SSD I guess.

Fleve
Nov 5, 2011

If possible, don't have Fraps record to the same drive as where the game or your OS is located. If you're already recording to an external hard drive, making sure the connection works well can make a huge difference. I didn't have USB drivers installed for a while which bottlenecked data transfer to something like 40-60 mb/sec, after a driver install and switch to an USB 3 port all Fraps related lag went away.

Otherwise, Shadowplay is a seriously good alternative. The file size is considerably lower without much/any? loss in quality.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Nah, My OS and game are on separate SSDs, and then my dump drive is a WD Black HDD, again separate.

I'll try Shadowplay I guess, I just wish it was possible to run my game at 1440 while recording through a capture card. I have 2, they just only go up to 1080.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

2560x1440 pixels is 78% more data than 1920x1080, that is a quite significant increase in processing and bandwidth required.

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum

Fleve posted:

Otherwise, Shadowplay is a seriously good alternative. The file size is considerably lower without much/any? loss in quality.

ShadowPlay always records with a lossy method (H.264), while FRAPS is ... well, less-lossy? It records using a weird pseudo-YV12 chroma subsampling thing that reduces the memory requirements but means it's a lossy encoding too but that it really doesn't matter if your final output is YV12 anyway.

So there will be a loss in quality between ShadowPlay and FRAPS. However, it's probably not much of a loss of quality and it's easily more than enough that it shouldn't really matter for your final encode.

Junkozeyne
Feb 13, 2012
Just keep in mind that if you already use lossy compression for your recording you should be careful with further lossy compression or the artifacts will really add up.

Mico
Jan 29, 2011

A billion dollars.

Migeman posted:

Oh my god. I don't have a clue what I'm doing with this MeGUI. When I do the HD Stream Extractor I seem to error or something and it creates a notepad with this error.

[a02] Decoding with DirectShow (Nero Audio Decoder 2)...
[a02] Getting "Nero Audio Decoder 2" instance failed. <ERROR>
Aborted at file position 3145728. <ERROR>

You are most likely trying to use a codec you don't have, since MeGUI doesn't come with the Nero Encoder/Decoder due to licensing rights. Download the zip file from here, extract it somewhere, and point MeGUI at the corresponding encoder and decoder exe's in the settings.
http://www.nero.com/enu/company/about-nero/nero-aac-codec.php

toddy.
Jun 15, 2010

~she is my wife~
MeGUI doesn't have an option to decode without a Nero decoder? Usually MeGUI is pretty good with encoder/decoder options, and I recall not requiring Nero stuff when using the HD Stream Extractor previously. Weird.

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum
I'm pretty sure the Nero thing in MeGUI is only an encoder, not a decoder. I'm not sure how the HD stream extractor works (I've never used it) but I'm guessing it just uses "whatever DirectShow decides to use" and in this case DirectShow picked the Nero codec. But I'm not sure.

Mico
Jan 29, 2011

A billion dollars.

toddy. posted:

MeGUI doesn't have an option to decode without a Nero decoder? Usually MeGUI is pretty good with encoder/decoder options, and I recall not requiring Nero stuff when using the HD Stream Extractor previously. Weird.

They used to have FAAC but lost that for some reason and if you have quicktime installed you can use QAAC

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum
They dropped it because FAAC was A) poo poo B) no longer maintained and C) probably illegal to distribute anyway. (As opposed to x.264, which is definitely illegal to distribute within the US.)

toddy.
Jun 15, 2010

~she is my wife~

Mico posted:

They used to have FAAC but lost that for some reason and if you have quicktime installed you can use QAAC

Wow Quicktime isn't a word I've heard in a surprisingly long time *shakes fist at adobe ae*

Okay yeah just use Nero then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

Xenoveritas posted:

They dropped it because FAAC was A) poo poo B) no longer maintained and C) probably illegal to distribute anyway. (As opposed to x.264, which is definitely illegal to distribute within the US.)

x264 contains no copyrighted code, it's all GPL. Patent law is confusing and distribution does not necessarily imply infringement, unlike copyright. FAAC had stolen code "accidentally" relicensed as GPL and was extremely hella illegal, besides it being awful and unmaintained and all those things.