Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Fungah! posted:

i honestly don't think i've ever used off-guard once but i get it every time

It's a nice spell on paper, but it's really hard to get it to stick to anything you want to hit with it, and the effect from just one casting isn't that noticeable. But yeah, you have to get it cause it's there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

ultrafilter posted:

It's a nice spell on paper, but it's really hard to get it to stick to anything you want to hit with it, and the effect from just one casting isn't that noticeable. But yeah, you have to get it cause it's there.

yeah it's just the list of stuff i'd want to off-guard that can't be trivialized by something else blue mage can do is insanely small, not much point in wasting an action doing it

gatesealer
Apr 9, 2011

oh god, I just beat shinryu but missed the screen shot. Is a screen shot of me getting the item good or do I need to do this fight again?

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Do you see how he's a cat?

gatesealer posted:

oh god, I just beat shinryu but missed the screen shot. Is a screen shot of me getting the item good or do I need to do this fight again?

The Dragon Seal or Ragnarok screens are fine.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.
The thing to keep in mind is that short of sending in your save files with your pictures, there's no way of proving that you're only using abilities from your assigned classes with any kind of victory shot anyway. So RK and all of us tend to go by the honor system.

gatesealer
Apr 9, 2011

And done! Looking back I think this is the first time I have actually beaten this game. I have played it a lot but never got around to the end. Does the ending change based on if people died in the last fight? Cause if not that is a ridiculous coincidence.

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
Four Beastmasters against the Sol Cannon: can I do better than two Stone Golems and two Sand Bears?

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

gatesealer posted:

And done! Looking back I think this is the first time I have actually beaten this game. I have played it a lot but never got around to the end. Does the ending change based on if people died in the last fight? Cause if not that is a ridiculous coincidence.

It does! It's normally written from Krile's perspective, but events change and whomever writes it changes based on who's alive (and un-petrified) at the end.

gatesealer
Apr 9, 2011

Kyrosiris posted:

It does! It's normally written from Krile's perspective, but events change and whomever writes it changes based on who's alive (and un-petrified) at the end.

holy poo poo thats amazing! That is such a small detail for them to program around especially back then.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.
I hadn't played any FJF in almost a week, so I resolved to put down FF9 long enough to get some work in by doing some Bal Basement Grinding.

My Thief and Ninja, they say :getin:!

EDIT: My Ninja just one-shotted Abductor with about 2500 damage of Twin Lance-y goodness. Bwa ha ha ha ha.

Bufuman fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Jul 12, 2015

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...

Finished my 750 run! :toot: Obviously did both superbosses,although I only used !Mix to berserk Omega. !White trivializes nearly any form of damage, I could damage race almost every boss just by applying the protective buffs and with Summoner on the team the Void was cruise control (except for Halicarnassus, who has a specific unblockable counter to !Summon...) Going to do a regular run next, and hopefully get a balanced set of jobs (physically/magically speaking, that is.) The only jobs I haven't gotten yet are Mystic Knight and Ranger, so hopefully Gilgabot is nice and gives those!

PrivateEyeball
Nov 7, 2009

L'etoile du Nord
After getting a triple crown in my previous go (Bard/Ranger/Ninja/Dancer made the endgame super boring), I started a new Chaos. Third time in a row, I got Ninja. Then I got two Geomancers. And now I'm waiting on a reroll of the second one. Whatever, I was going to donate $20 at my next paycheck anyways. This is just a down payment.

Though, thinking about it, I should have just swapped with a magic class. And since the only magic class I've used in FFV is summoner: If I run into another Geomancer, what'd be a fun casting class to swap with?

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...
Time or Blue are fun jobs to mess around with. Blue has more versatility in damage, support and healing, but you have to deal with the spell collectathon aspect. Time has a lot of effects to mess with and gives you a strong buff early, but it's not a great primary source of damage.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Blue Mages are fun because you get to use a bunch of magic normally only from enemies. Black Mages are fun because you blow stuff up with lots of elements.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.
Blue Magic's big fault is that they kind of lack for damage later in the game compared to other caster classes. Black Mage has all their powerful elemental spells and Flare, White Mage has Holy, Time Mage has Meteor, Summons have drat near everything. Blue Mages? Their best option is Air Knife Aeroga, which is decent, but lacks the punch that Black Mage has due to lower base power and Blue's lower magic.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
learning spells from monsters is a dope mechanic though and I would recommend trying them at least once

it's like the less annoying version of beastmaster in the sense that you get extra stuff from monsters, but with beastmaster you get to release a monster once while with blue mage you keep a spell forever

LazyMaybe fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Jul 12, 2015

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.
Always nice when farming goes nice and quickly. Went to Barrier Tower and not only got 4 Reflect Rings with little effort, but a quick setup with my Thief and Ninja (Stealing with the former and !Fleeing with the latter with A-autofire and turbo speed) got me 4 Flame Rings from the Red Dragons hiding in one of the treasure chests in only 5-10 minutes.

Modoh
Jul 23, 2007
Ugh, I just leveled from 24 to 30 and spent 3 hours getting 4 reflect rings.

Of course, the last two were in back to back battles, so I couldn't even use multi-reflect to speed up killing them.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
Am I allowed to switch jobs in the fork tower for my second party?

edit:
haha it turns out silence blade works on omniscient. :lol:

Sephiroth_IRA fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Jul 12, 2015

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
My third run (random) will be Thief/Time/Knight/Zerk. I have no idea what to think of this team. Hi-Potions and Elixirs ahoy!

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
A sped up two handing berserker sounds like a rather useful zerker

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
Uh if I leave Leviathan hanging in Istory Falls will he be back if I return?

edit: nm. I underestimated how much shell/protect would help me.

Sephiroth_IRA fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Jul 12, 2015

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Is there any way to game the RNG into giving me turtles near Karnak? I'm trying to farm turtle shells for :science: !mix :science: purposes before I head to World 2, but I've only seen a single turtle encounter in the past hour, the others have been Zuus or Zuus / slug things encounters.

e. I'm on the SNES version, since that probably matters.

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001

OzFactor posted:

Four Beastmasters against the Sol Cannon: can I do better than two Stone Golems and two Sand Bears?

This... isn't working. The four releases do about 2600 damage to him total, and I'm hitting for 200-300 a pop after that (about 400 with a Thunder proc from the Blitz Whip but that's rare). At this rate I'm going to have to hit him over 60 times, and I can hit him maybe twice with each person between Wave Cannons, and that's without healing, which I will have to do, with elixirs. Should I give up and job fair? My party is BM / Dragoon / Chemist / Chemist so I guess I could get rid of one of them?

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever

Mikl posted:

Is there any way to game the RNG into giving me turtles near Karnak? I'm trying to farm turtle shells for :science: !mix :science: purposes before I head to World 2, but I've only seen a single turtle encounter in the past hour, the others have been Zuus or Zuus / slug things encounters.

e. I'm on the SNES version, since that probably matters.

Are you right outside Karnak? Turtles seem to pop up more often over near the meteorite.

Wolverine Tamer
Jul 29, 2013

OzFactor posted:

This... isn't working. The four releases do about 2600 damage to him total, and I'm hitting for 200-300 a pop after that (about 400 with a Thunder proc from the Blitz Whip but that's rare). At this rate I'm going to have to hit him over 60 times, and I can hit him maybe twice with each person between Wave Cannons, and that's without healing, which I will have to do, with elixirs. Should I give up and job fair? My party is BM / Dragoon / Chemist / Chemist so I guess I could get rid of one of them?

I managed it on the third try by focusing down the launchers, releasing my four bears and plinking away with whips and knifes. I think I was about level 18 IIRC.

What version are you playing? The bears deal about 2k damage each in the GBA version, so only getting 2.6k total from all releases is really awful.

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
iOS. The bears do about 1200 every time. I'm also reading all over the place that Wave Cannon is supposed to only do 50% HP damage, but that's definitely not true for me, it does 250-300.

edit: did you save up for Angel rings?

OzFactor fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Jul 12, 2015

Wolverine Tamer
Jul 29, 2013

OzFactor posted:

iOS. The bears do about 1200 every time. I'm also reading all over the place that Wave Cannon is supposed to only do 50% HP damage, but that's definitely not true for me, it does 250-300.

edit: did you save up for Angel rings?

Ouch, that sucks.

I didn't bother buying any angel rings (although I did consider it), I just got lucky and only Faris got olded. Dealing 8k damage at the start of the fight instead of 2.6k kind of made the difference there.

By the way, Wave Cannon actually causes 50% max HP damage and inflicts sap, not 50% current hp. That's why it's so nasty.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Wave Cannon does 50% of Max HP.

When I fought Soul Cannon on mobile, Wave Cannon actually missed a couple characters at times. Maybe you might get lucky and avoid it?

Might not hurt to grind Elixirs in the Ship Graveyard, you can just steamroll the enemies on Auto-Battle until you have a decent amount. Don't think you'll need many for Archy if you've got all Beastmasters and after that you've got Chemist so Elixirs will be a non-issue for awhile.

Also, you can stop Old's Aging effects by killing the person hit with it. Which is kind of dumb but it's an option.

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
Ah ha, max HP makes sense. And yeah, it does miss with some regularity, which is nice. I'm assuming the level decrease stays after death even if it wipes the Old?

Wolverine Tamer
Jul 29, 2013

OzFactor posted:

I'm assuming the level decrease stays after death even if it wipes the Old?

Yeah, it does, so knock them out asap so they don't lose all their levels.

Qwarq
Apr 3, 2009

Run #3 down with Beastmaster/Ranger/Dragoon/Dancer

Triple crown entirely thanks to the Beastmaster. Also my first time ever using Beastmaster in a fiesta. Seeing Byblos and Sandworm 1-shotted after my previous run was more fun than it should have been. Ranger was the real winner here though. !Animals shows how even a tiny bit of healing can trivialize most world 1 and 2 fights that Beastmaster can't. That, and Rapid Fire Chicken Knife is my spirit animal.

Also, gently caress those Crystelle things. I spent over an hour trying to figure out how to weaken it, since I couldn't use Excalipoor. I tried most of the %damage catch effects, but it turns out they're heavy and they absorb the wind damage from Breath Wing :negative:. Then I busted out the pen and paper with the damage formulas to see if there was some combination of equipment and luck that could do just 1 or 2 damage (there wasn't). Finally I just said gently caress it and jumped over Almagest and killed him on the first attempt.

Gonna keep going with another chaos run until Gilgabot finally gives me a mage job :argh:.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Qwarq posted:

Then I busted out the pen and paper with the damage formulas to see if there was some combination of equipment and luck that could do just 1 or 2 damage (there wasn't).

Dancing Dagger on Beastmaster under level 42 from the back row against a back row Crystelle with Protect = 1...4 damage. :colbert:

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.
Team ReflectMage is a beautiful thing. :getin:

Qwarq
Apr 3, 2009

Kyrosiris posted:

Dancing Dagger on Beastmaster under level 42 from the back row against a back row Crystelle with Protect = 1...4 damage. :colbert:

Goddammit. I didn't think about the damage reduction from it being in the back row. :negative:

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Bufuman posted:

Blue Magic's big fault is that they kind of lack for damage later in the game compared to other caster classes. Black Mage has all their powerful elemental spells and Flare, White Mage has Holy, Time Mage has Meteor, Summons have drat near everything. Blue Mages? Their best option is Air Knife Aeroga, which is decent, but lacks the punch that Black Mage has due to lower base power and Blue's lower magic.

otoh blue mage can cheese 70-80% of the bosses in the game with rods or a status spell, they're super strong trash sweepers, they get one of the best healing spells in the game, and mighty guard is insanely good. imo blue mage is neck and neck with summoner for second best job in the game because of its insane versatility. summoner's probably got the edge because it's just so powerful but it's close

Wolverine Tamer
Jul 29, 2013

Fungah! posted:

otoh blue mage can cheese 70-80% of the bosses in the game with rods or a status spell, they're super strong trash sweepers, they get one of the best healing spells in the game, and mighty guard is insanely good. imo blue mage is neck and neck with summoner for second best job in the game because of its insane versatility. summoner's probably got the edge because it's just so powerful but it's close

I'd give the edge to blue mage personally but honestly having either of them on your team makes victory a forgone conclusion.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.

Fungah! posted:

Oh, don't get me wrong, I love them and they're one of the best classes out there. I'm just saying that DPS isn't their strong point. I had a Random team last year of Blue Mage, Red Mage, Bard, and White Mage, and until I got Holy they took FOREVER to kill anything.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.
Is there a good way to gain ABP in world 2 without gaining experience? I've got 3 people at 28 and one at 27, which I want to keep because I'm hoping to score Lv. 3 Flare from Exdeath with minimal casualties, but I'd like to get some extra class levels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Bufuman posted:

Is there a good way to gain ABP in world 2 without gaining experience? I've got 3 people at 28 and one at 27, which I want to keep because I'm hoping to score Lv. 3 Flare from Exdeath with minimal casualties, but I'd like to get some extra class levels.

Go hang out in Galuf's basement. The enemies there give a lot of ABP and money but almost no experience.

• Locked thread