Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

ImpAtom posted:

Then you missed out on both a lot of free points and a lot of the cool parts of the combat system.

He also missed out on the controller through screen levels of frustration that could be triggered on some of the extreme combat challenges on Asylum.

edit: and the everlasting Batman satisfaction that comes with eventually pulling off 3 stars on all of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

ImpAtom posted:

Then you missed out on both a lot of free points and a lot of the cool parts of the combat system.

No those were boring parts and I beat all the rooms and suck it nerds, I have other games to play.

*drives off in batmobile with license plate GAM3RG0D*

edit: The way beat downs worked in City you got an absolutely absurd combat multiplyer while doing almost no damage. I beat every combat room easily - obviously my score could have been higher but I absolute refuse to learn how to use the combat explosive gel and I had no interest in chasing the absolute top of the leaderboards

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Waltzing Along posted:

Just finished the game save for about 100 Riddler trophies. I'll grab those later.

Gotta say it was a good game that could have been outstanding if they hadn't fluffed it out so much. Cut Riddlers from 250 to 100 or so and cut the mines, towers, apcs and stuff down about 80% and all of a sudden you have the exact same game only about 10 hours shorter. Probably more.

The mines and APCs were pretty dull and repetitive but I liked the checkpoints and towers. They were varied enough that I never got tired of them.

The Riddler stuff though was definitely too much. Seriously all they needed to do was scrap all the trophies just sitting in the open and the pointless breakable objects. Make it only actual puzzles and riddles and you'll have way less of them and all the ones you do have are actually interesting. I spaced them out through the whole game but then still had to spend a few hours on cleanup at the end. I didn't hate it or I wouldn't have done it but it was excessive.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

theflyingorc posted:

edit: The way beat downs worked in City you got an absolutely absurd combat multiplyer while doing almost no damage. I beat every combat room easily - obviously my score could have been higher but I absolute refuse to learn how to use the combat explosive gel and I had no interest in chasing the absolute top of the leaderboards

The combo multiplier is actually less effective than the variation bonuses which allow you to build up greater combat variation due to the damage they deal.

You also missed the fun of using a REC Gun to send a guy covered in armor flying into another guy which is way more fun than just repeating beatdown.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I enjoyed the APC chases far more than I probably should, if only because I found myself leaning into corners and ducking under stuff like I was playing Mario Kart again. :haw:

UnsuitableWasp
Mar 3, 2013
I too miss the old challenge system. Here the only places where you get a long fight also come with a catch- don't get hit, don't drop combo- which while not that hard, kinda gets annoying if you can't afford to take a punch. Though I guess now that enemies are a lot more aggressive than in City rooms with 30 people and brutes, ninjas and medics zapping everyone would be really hard to survive. And maybe the colors on my TV are hosed up but that blue force field that surrounds the fighting arenas- man, sometimes counter signs and dudes spawning just blend in perfectly in that thing. Dudes just spawning in is also kinda nasty sometimes- I had a dude spawn ready to charge right next to Batman.

And now for something completely different- in Harley's story pack Nightwing has a few lines during his "boss" fight- unfortunately he starts saying them every time he tries to attack and if you know how to play the game you'll leap over him at that moment and cause him to grunt and cut off his line. Not that they're really all that or anything. "I didn't know you and Ivy were a team."; "End of the line, Quinn.", "It's gonna take a lot of luck to beat me. " :allears: and also "Get on your knees and put your hands in the air." Harley also comments on the absurdities during the fight "Who let a vigilante in the police station?!" and "Are you trying to enforce the law while breaking it?" Kinda funny how she beats his rear end so effortlessly and then Batman and Robin manhandle her like she's a muppet.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Yeah, I never used very many gadgets when I was getting the stars for Bats, Robin, and Nightwing. Just punches, beatdowns, ground takedowns, and the AoE special moves. Bat Swarm/Electric Attack Thing were both crazy ways to rack up multiplier. The supercharged gadgets usually screwed me up before they helped. And some leave you way too open. The REC gun maybe could be useful, but I'd pass. Gadgets were best saved for predator.

UnsuitableWasp posted:

I too miss the old challenge system. Here the only places where you get a long fight also come with a catch- don't get hit, don't drop combo- which while not that hard, kinda gets annoying if you can't afford to take a punch. Though I guess now that enemies are a lot more aggressive than in City rooms with 30 people and brutes, ninjas and medics zapping everyone would be really hard to survive. And maybe the colors on my TV are hosed up but that blue force field that surrounds the fighting arenas- man, sometimes counter signs and dudes spawning just blend in perfectly in that thing. Dudes just spawning in is also kinda nasty sometimes- I had a dude spawn ready to charge right next to Batman.

And now for something completely different- in Harley's story pack Nightwing has a few lines during his "boss" fight- unfortunately he starts saying them every time he tries to attack and if you know how to play the game you'll leap over him at that moment and cause him to grunt and cut off his line. Not that they're really all that or anything. "I didn't know you and Ivy were a team."; "End of the line, Quinn.", "It's gonna take a lot of luck to beat me. " :allears: and also "Get on your knees and put your hands in the air." Harley also comments on the absurdities during the fight "Who let a vigilante in the police station?!" and "Are you trying to enforce the law while breaking it?" Kinda funny how she beats his rear end so effortlessly and then Batman and Robin manhandle her like she's a muppet.

Dick had a cold or something. Swine flu. Plus he'd just been fighting Blockbuster or Tarantula. Otherwise it makes no sense.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
After all the talk before the game about how Joker was overused, was this thread unhappy with the final result?

UnsuitableWasp
Mar 3, 2013

Waltzing Along posted:

After all the talk before the game about how Joker was overused, was this thread unhappy with the final result?

I guess since it's Rocksteady and not WB Montreal all of a sudden it's okay... :shrug: All this talk about Joker fatigue and making GBS threads on WB Montreal about it and in Knight he hangs around on rooftops to chat with you, tell you all about his Catwoman fanfiction and even serenades you- makes some criticism of Origins hilarious in hindsight though. I never had a problem with the Joker, so it was all the same to me.
I don't think the Arkham series ever bothered to develop any other villain to the point when they can carry an entire game so the Joker being center stage again saved the game in my opinion. Just imagine the plot without him- underwhelming doesn't even begin to describe it.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
To be honest, it's still annoying that they can't drop the Joker, but I guess I made peace with him being a hallucination in Knight. It's not like in Origins where I thought there'd be a different main villain and it's just Joker again.

Besides, Joker being a dick and making fun of Batman's parents is pretty great stuff.

UnsuitableWasp posted:

Harley also comments on the absurdities during the fight "Who let a vigilante in the police station?!" and "Are you trying to enforce the law while breaking it?"

For someone who's constantly written to be dumb in this series, DLC Harley is oddly perceptive.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Waltzing Along posted:

Some parts of it were sort of neat, but overall, I am kind of annoyed that people just can't loving let the Joker go. I am kind of thankful that the Nolan films did, but it probably wasn't out of choice considering the circumstances.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

For someone who's constantly written to be dumb in this series, DLC Harley is oddly perceptive.

I figured it was deliberate with Joker being out of the picture. In post-Joker death side stories she's shown to be a pretty cunning, and downright vicious, leader now she's not bowing to the every whim of another lunatic. Harley's voice in the DLC struck me as her lucidity starting to come back.

Commissar Of Doom
Apr 21, 2009

Waltzing Along posted:

It was a novel situation, and one I've never seen either character in, so I really liked it a lot. Having him be a commentator on just about everything in the game was great fun. But then again I really love Hamill's Joker.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Harley gains about fifty IQ whenever Mistah J isn't around, this is pretty consistent.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

poptart_fairy posted:

I figured it was deliberate with Joker being out of the picture. In post-Joker death side stories she's shown to be a pretty cunning, and downright vicious, leader now she's not bowing to the every whim of another lunatic. Harley's voice in the DLC struck me as her lucidity starting to come back.

Heck, Jokervision actually brings it up.

"Huh, it's almost like someone was holding her back..."

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I really like how the fear multi-takedown inverts the usual predator approach of isolating enemies - now you're trying to push a group together to take them out cleanly.

From talking with friends a lot of people just stuck to old habits, but I had a blast herding enemies together.

Still think that explosive gel takedowns and the like are way too much of a hassle, though.

UnsuitableWasp
Mar 3, 2013

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

She has some really dark lines in the DLC that kinda delved into her state of mind -there's one about how she knew Joker was also trying to manipulate other interns to help him and she was just the one that actually fell for it. But then they reduced her to a toddler throwing a temper tantrum in the main game, just so there's no hope left she'll ever do something interesting or have a character development moment in these games.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Waltzing Along posted:

I couldn't help but love it. I think the problem with Origins and parts of City wasn't just as simple as the Joker being overused, but that the specific plot beats involving him were. His interaction with the story in Knight was totally new and I thought it was great.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Yeah, the fact Joker is/was used as a way to further develop Bats' character - rather than someone who the story revolved around - mitigated a ton of potential irritation. The Panessa sub-plot fell pretty flat and felt entirely like filler to me, which I suppose was partly intentional given how it all pans out, so that's the weakest bit.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
It's all about how the Joker got used. I didn't mind him in City but he just completely warped the plot in Origins, when what was originally presented was "early days mob fighting Batman". I was interested in seeing how that panned out rather than how the Joker got started. Despite the whole JOKER BLOOD CHANGES YOU thing being a threat of plot black hole, instead it was a pretty decent showing of how the fear toxin was affecting Batman. Considering how the last three games completely revolved around the Joker, it's pretty fitting that the fear toxin caused us all to see what we feared: THE JOKER CAME BACK.

Montegoraon
Aug 22, 2013
The Joker in this game is basically some kind of Lovecraftian god, like Nyarlathotep, the Creeping Chaos. He/they don't need to do anything in particular to influence Quinn. Just their mere presence causes her to change, become more insane and less competent.

With the way "Harleen" talks to her during the DLC, some people say she may eventually regain her sanity if she spends long enough away from him "while" he's dead. I do hope it's true.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

dscruffy1 posted:

It's all about how the Joker got used. I didn't mind him in City but he just completely warped the plot in Origins, when what was originally presented was "early days mob fighting Batman".

It was specifically inspired by The Long Halloween which is explicitly about the mob being replaced by supervillains. It isn't even a case of "well, that was obvious after the fact" they said it from the start. Black Mask made sense in that regards in that he is both a supervillain and a mobster but it was never just going to be "Batman fighting the mob."

Regy Rusty posted:

I couldn't help but love it. I think the problem with Origins and parts of City wasn't just as simple as the Joker being overused, but that the specific plot beats involving him were. His interaction with the story in Knight was totally new and I thought it was great.

It's actually a mix of a couple of Elseworlds and The Joker Returns from Batman Beyond. If people are seeing it as completely new that might explain why they're most impressed by it than I was. (I enjoyed it but I also didn't think the Joker in Origins was the worst thing ever.)

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Jul 12, 2015

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
It was cool to me because It's all in the Batman's head and joker is playing devil's advocate, knowing everything bruce has done to protect the city and all of his failures. It wasn't a Joker trying to keep the cycle going and preserving the mystery of the batman so that this madness never ends, this joker is just making GBS threads on you all the time.

It's a shame that I remember more of the Arkham Knight whining though, because holy poo poo, it never ends.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

It's actually a mix of a couple of Elseworlds and The Joker Returns from Batman Beyond. If people are seeing it as completely new that might explain why they're most impressed by it than I was. (I enjoyed it but I also didn't think the Joker in Origins was the worst thing ever.)

I guess I should've specified that I was talking about new for the games, not for the entire Batman collected works. I didn't like Origins very much, partly because it felt like a lot of its plot was a rehash of what they'd already done. I also found City's climax disappointing for similar reasons.

Also I haven't read much of the comics so yeah it was still a new thing for me in general.

Incidentally I actually wrote that before seeing the ending sequence and holy poo poo that was awesome. I think this game actually managed to be my favorite of all of them.

Montegoraon
Aug 22, 2013
I actually liked Origins' new take on the Joker's origin. It's not The Killing Joke. That made him a monster, but it didn't make him THE Joker. It was meeting Batman again, realizing that he wouldn't kill him no matter what, that inspired him to ever greater acts of evil. Because now he had someone to ride the ride with him. That's a much more profound way for Batman to have "made" the Joker than simply by throwing him into a vat of chemicals or enabling him.

Oblivion4568238
Oct 10, 2012

The Inquisition.
What a show.
The Inquisition.
Here. We. Go.
College Slice
I think The Joker himself is used pretty well in Knight, but I do have a problem with some of the things surrounding his use, if that makes any sense. Having him hang over your shoulder the whole game kind of kills the ending of City. I was alright with his inclusion in Origins since he wasn't, you know, dead at the time, but he's dead here; the very first button you press in the game is to cremate his corpse, and yet he still hangs on for the whole ride. It also ruins the cure plot from City, since that cure apparently doesn't actually do anything and the infected don't die, they just turn into Joker. Lastly, Joker completely hijacks Scarecrow's finale in both taking over Batman's body and then being a focus to keep Batman from succumbing to the fear toxin. I mean, I liked the scene, but The Joker absolutely swept the rug out from under Scarecrow at the very end.

Montegoraon
Aug 22, 2013
The cure wasn't for Jokeritis. It was for Titan poisoning.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
Ok I did not hate the batmobile until this loving drill boss fight and now I hate it more than any game gimmick i can think of

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
That fight isn't bad at all compared to some of the others.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Joker being in Origins sucked and when he showed up for Knight and I realized he wasn't going away, I groaned. Sure, some of his quips were funny, but most of the time I just rolled my eyes. It was like having a shitposter ride shotgun. Lol Batman's parents died! Lol Talia is dead! He was just so annoying that I started to get driven mad myself, so hey, maybe that was the point. Still, I have to hand it to Rocksteady. Though he played quite a big role, he never became a plot black hole. The plot returned to him a lot (since he was in Batman's head of course), but it never put everything thing else to the side to do Joker stuff. Even the very end comes back to Scarecrow since he engineered the entire situation.

ImpAtom posted:

It was specifically inspired by The Long Halloween which is explicitly about the mob being replaced by supervillains. It isn't even a case of "well, that was obvious after the fact" they said it from the start. Black Mask made sense in that regards in that he is both a supervillain and a mobster but it was never just going to be "Batman fighting the mob."

It's not just that a supervillain shows up, it's that particular supervillain showing up. He wasn't necessary to the plot in any way. Even being inspired by The Long Halloween doesn't mean Joker.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

SonicRulez posted:

It's not just that a supervillain shows up, it's that particular supervillain showing up. He wasn't necessary to the plot in any way. Even being inspired by The Long Halloween doesn't mean Joker.

Sure he was. Arkham Knight made it now very clear that Arkham is a franchise about Batman and the Joker. The introduction and start of their relationship is in fact a lot more important than anything else that happens in the story.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

the_american_dream posted:

Ok I did not hate the batmobile until this loving drill boss fight and now I hate it more than any game gimmick i can think of

The tank fight before the cloudburst is the most infurating thing in the game, for me.
The cloudburst fight itself is just bland and unfun.

The excavator drill made me yell loving PACMAN?!

And the final fight with Arkham Knight is... not very good. At all.

I actually liked a lot of the setup and reveal of the arkham knight, but the actual fights were botched to poo poo.

I just can't fathom how no one thought to give us a hand to hand "fight" against him. Even if it took a poo poo-ton of work, even if it was just a glorified QTE... it feels like something is missing.

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man
The last Arkham Knight fight felt like they had an idea on how to make another cool predator boss fight like the Mr. Freeze fight, by reversing the traditional predator dynamic and having the Arkham Knight hunt down Batman, but unfortunately couldn't pull off anything close to that.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Montegoraon posted:

The cure wasn't for Jokeritis. It was for Titan poisoning.

Titan poisoning that didn't do a whole lot for the year it was festering in Adams et al.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Waltzing Along posted:

I enjoyed the Joker in Arkham Knight more than I have in anything since Dark Knight.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I just discovered you can HOLD the batmobile button instead of tapping it and it will arrive at your location without you automatically hopping into it.

And I've beaten the main story and most of the side missions.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Narcissus1916 posted:

I just discovered you can HOLD the batmobile button instead of tapping it and it will arrive at your location without you automatically hopping into it.

And I've beaten the main story and most of the side missions.

...what

I've 100% newgame and did not know this.

I mean I don't know why you'd want to but drat.

l33t b4c0n
Aug 19, 2000

King of E/N
I can't count the number of times I was trying to interrogate a Riddler informant and accidentally called in the Batmobile and ran him over.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Mazerunner posted:

...what

I've 100% newgame and did not know this.

I mean I don't know why you'd want to but drat.

So your batmobile can shoot thugs in the nuts on the streets. Obviously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time

NESguerilla posted:

I'm playing on hard, and I have found it pretty easy up until now where I'm stuck on the part after Arkham Knight shoots batman where a bunch of sword guys and a couple of the big dudes attack him. Is there something I can do to make this easier or do I just need to get good? I've died like 15 times.

I did die the first time too. My second try was a blur, and I probably just got lucky. I made sure I got rid of the big guys as quickly as I could, then I did every environmental takedown I could on everyone else.

If I heard a medic reviving someone, I'd stop whatever I was doing to punch him, then I'd continue on a big thug if there were any left.

I only took like one or two hits my second try, but I didn't get a good combo.

I'm currently stuck on the second Two Face predator room. You gently caress up once on hard in a predator room, and you're done.

• Locked thread