Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aureus
Nov 20, 2006

Not quite that, but I pulled a Chandra Promo and a Miscut.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend

My boss did the same in the 5pm that I bailed on.

Goddamnit.

Also, black is amazing. The amount of removal it has is great. I ended up going 3-1 with Red. Got a foil promo Piledriver, and now I want 3 more of them. Have to settle for 1 other regular one.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Yea we're rightly jerking White off but Black has a ton of toys that will really ruin your day in it too, and Red is finally being put back in the 'oh right Red=hardcore rear end damage' role it seems.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

En Fuego posted:

My boss did the same in the 5pm that I bailed on.

Goddamnit.

Also, black is amazing. The amount of removal it has is great. I ended up going 3-1 with Red. Got a foil promo Piledriver, and now I want 3 more of them. Have to settle for 1 other regular one.

That was my buddy's red pull, actually

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
Prerelease went 2-2 but reported a 1-3 because I had to leave and this kid (who had 2 Languishes!) just narrowly lost last round so I played it out and then conceded at the end. I don't know whether it's better that way or to just tell them I'm leaving in the beginning but I don't know. Seems like a better feel-good if they end up winning and I don't tell them it was a free win.

Pool was bad Elves but I did get a foil Day's Undoing.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Tubgoat posted:

I agree with the Jeremy Jarvis hate, but I can't recall a bad piece Terese Nielsen has ever done.

Edit: WHAT THE making GBS threads gently caress, PUBICMICE :stonk:

Those are nice for generic angels, but as the man once said "You're not my Akroma!"

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

I think he's talking about M14 where blue was the consensus strongest color. Blue was very weak in M15 and white was the strongest and always had people fighting over it.

Yeah you got this right. White was the worst color but like most of the time it was just notably worse than the other 4 colors instead of unplayable. If you get passed bombs early please take them instead of forcing the ~meta picks~

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

How come they did the thing w/ Liliana that they did with Jeskai ascendancy, where's there's just too many lines of text?

Like, compared to every other planeswalker it has 1 more toughness, a keyword with lifelink, AND makes a creature when it flips?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Skyl3lazer posted:

How come they did the thing w/ Liliana that they did with Jeskai ascendancy, where's there's just too many lines of text?

Like, compared to every other planeswalker it has 1 more toughness, a keyword with lifelink, AND makes a creature when it flips?

They wanted to make one that actually had a shot at being good

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I think it's to make up for the fact that your opponent can flip it during their turn.

Myriad Truths
Oct 13, 2012

TheKingofSprings posted:

They wanted to make one that actually had a shot at being good

Well, that was a pretty spectacular failure since I think Liliana has the least chance to see competitive play. Even Jace might fill some niche role in control. Liliana is just very outclassed.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Myriad Truths posted:

Well, that was a pretty spectacular failure since I think Liliana has the least chance to see competitive play. Even Jace might fill some niche role in control. Liliana is just very outclassed.

Except that it might actually be one of the reasons they banned Pod? :v:

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

TheKingofSprings posted:

Except that it might actually be one of the reasons they banned Pod? :v:

I would like to see that deck in action.

I think Liliana gets the zombie because she's the only PW whose flip the opponents have some control over. This gives her some protection against "Eot kill spell, attack her PW form". The flavor's a nice bonus.

Aureus
Nov 20, 2006

And just finished putting the commons from the pre-release away and noticed that I got a second miscut card. Same style though not quite as severe as the one I posted a picture of. Clipped top, long bottom. Now I am wondering if this going to be a common thing in Origins.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Aureus posted:

And just finished putting the commons from the pre-release away and noticed that I got a second miscut card. Same style though not quite as severe as the one I posted a picture of. Clipped top, long bottom. Now I am wondering if this going to be a common thing in Origins.

I got a slight border miscoloring for the first time.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Rinkles posted:

I would like to see that deck in action.

I think Liliana gets the zombie because she's the only PW whose flip the opponents have some control over. This gives her some protection against "Eot kill spell, attack her PW form". The flavor's a nice bonus.

I'm pretty sure it's because it's the only PW flip condition that explicitly involves something bad happening to you.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
She's the only PW that not only requires something bad, but also has zero protection from the danger involved. Like, Gideon gets his poo poo to stay protected even though attacking is a risky rear end way to get trigger a spark, but Liliana is just a giant target yelling 'come at me bro'

Aureus
Nov 20, 2006

For anyone that cares to see both miscuts/misprints here is the front and back of both.

Figured may as well take pictures and throw them out to the world, never seen a miscut before in person so I'm pretty stoked on having them and will actually keep these. While everything else is fodder for store credit for drafts or cutting up into art projects.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Nice.
On my end, foil Nissa, a piledriver, two non-foil blightcasters in the same pack (?!) and a 2-2 record because neither of those cards are exactly amazing in a limited format and my commons pool was inexplicably bad.

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

Yeah, mine for whatever reason never saw as much play as the Nissa I got in the same pool and splashed, like, two forests for :smuggo: There were like two times where she'd hit the battlefield but I already had my two forests on the battlefield and I'd fail to find; I even got to flip her one game!

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

My friend opened a Nissa, Gideon, Archangel of Tithes and whatever that 6/5 green dude that pulls a 3cmc or less creature from library onto field. He also had 3 of the 3/3 lifelink renowned dudes. He still went 2-2 and dropped after misplaying constantly.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Is there anywhere to actually name these decks you can make in the new ios magic game

Applebees
Jul 23, 2013

yospos

Skyl3lazer posted:

It was designed top-down. It was important to show her as a healer, which is very different from how she is usually portrayed, so they had to give her lifelink. Her story is that she accidentally killed her brother and turned him into a zombie, so they wanted her flip condition to represent that.

An early version of her flip condition was: "B, T: Choose another target creature. When that creature dies this turn, put a 2/2 black Zombie creature token onto the battlefield, then exile CARDNAME and return it to the battlefield transformed."

Stoddard goes into it in his article.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

All of the flipwalkers except Jace have an ability other than the one that flips them, and those abilities all have a lot more than one word of text.

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug
Opened a green pack for pre-release. Got promo foil Nissa, pretty nice. She did a lot of good work though, got to flip her every time and only lost once in the 6 times or so that I got to flip her. Pulled a Kothophed as well, but only got to cast him once and my opponent conceded after that because he didn't realize he was on 2 life and while I had a 4 creature lead. Got the stupid mythic dragon as well. Is that one even good or am I not seeing why it's so good besides 4 to cast 4/4 flier?

I wanted to make G/W aggro, but my white picks were really really bad. In the end I went with G/B. Turns out it was the right choice, as I went 3-1, would've gotten 4-0 but I got mana flooded then mana screwed in my first round :/
Actually come to think of it, my green was kind of terrible too, no colossus, no serra spider, no awesome rhino bros, no gaea's revenge, and no troll. The card that did a ton of work in green was Pharika's Disciple, the 2/3 renown 1 deathtoucher and Wild Instincts, +2/+2 fight card. Got 2 copies of both and when it's backed up by a few black removal, it created a really good tempo game for me. Another surprising card was Eyeblight Massacre, 2BB sorcery -2/-2 to all non-elves. I ran like 10 elves between black and green where this card helped me sweep the other side of creatures quite convincingly, it's also awesome to play post combat with elves as well.

Thisuck fucked around with this message at 10:02 on Jul 12, 2015

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

G/W aggro is really legit. Even without bombs you can make it super far. I ended up winning most of my games by slamming down bears and 3/2s

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Thisuck posted:

Got the stupid mythic dragon as well. Is that one even good or am I not seeing why it's so good besides 4 to cast 4/4 flier?

Did you read the text on it that says you draw an extra card every turn?

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

I went 3-1 at pre-release in a store I'd never been to before! Hangarback Walker is loving awesome as a 2 drop that just keeps getting bigger and bigger if it doesn't get answered.

I went GR with a green box, got the foil elf dude and pulled very little other elves so he had to be sidelined. The one drop goblin with renown is a great turn one play and LSV is very very wrong about this card

quote:

This card is heinously bad, as it puts you down a card, a mana, and you need to have a good card in your graveyard before you can even cast it. I suppose I would side it in against a mill deck, maybe, but you aren't likely to ever play against one of those (let alone actually want this if you do).

The ability to get a removal spell back is really powerful in a set that's somewhat light on removal. It did a lot of work for me and doesn't deserve a 0.0 rating

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

Jabor posted:

Did you read the text on the card that says you pitch your hand at the beginning of each end step?

Less derisive answer: not that there are really any good red mythics, but we already got a 4/4 flying dragon for 2RR last set, and it owns bones by bolting anyone who tries to remove it or any other dragon you control, and doesn't have a downside: it was a rare.

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug

Jabor posted:

You also discard your hand at the end, I mean I guess by that time you can probably do 2 spells a turn? Sorry I haven't played standard in a very long time, the pitching your hand just don't seem that good even though you get to draw an extra card.

Jabor posted:

Less derisive answer: not that there are really any good red mythics, but we already got a 4/4 flying dragon for 2RR last set, and it owns bones by bolting anyone who tries to remove it or any other dragon you control, and doesn't have a downside: it was a rare.

Yeah that was a far better card than the mythic imo, especially since that ability covered ALL DRAGONS you control as well.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
I think you're underestimating just how good drawing more cards is. Compare it with Outpost Siege for example, which has a similar "downside" (you only get to use the card on that turn), but doesn't come attached to a 4/4 beater.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Thisuck posted:

You also discard your hand at the end, I mean I guess by that time you can probably do 2 spells a turn? Sorry I haven't played standard in a very long time, the pitching your hand just don't seem that good even though you get to draw an extra card.

I play mono red in standard and unless you're screwed for that 3rd land you're going to have very little in your hand by turn 4 if anything at all.

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

Jabor posted:

I think you're underestimating just how good drawing more cards is. Compare it with Outpost Siege for example, which has a similar "downside" (you only get to use the card on that turn), but doesn't come attached to a 4/4 beater.

At least Outpost Siege (and by extension, Chandra) don't hose your hand if Avaricious Dragon wasn't the last card in it. I get it, there are a lot of game states where drawing an extra card or four every turn is the bee's knees because you're in topdeck mode, but it severely limits the usefulness of the card when it prevents you holding up any spells for your opponent's turn or your own next turn, especially in Limited, and in red no less. It also doesn't help it's "mythic" persona when it doesn't have trample, flash, or haste.

Yeah, I'd probably run him in Gruul Dragons, but not before Stormbreath rotates out.

Four Score fucked around with this message at 11:44 on Jul 12, 2015

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
What kind of spells are you anticipating holding up for your opponents turn in a red-based beatdown deck?

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

Jabor posted:

What kind of spells are you anticipating holding up for your opponents turn in a red-based beatdown deck?

I guess you cast your Draconic Roars/Wild Slashes/Stoke the Flames/Lightning Strikes during your turn? :psyduck:

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Four Score posted:

I guess you cast your Draconic Roars/Wild Slashes/Stoke the Flames/Lightning Strikes during your turn? :psyduck:

You say that as though "oh you need to cast your burn on your own turn" is a crippling downside on something that makes you draw twice as many cards as your opponent.

Honestly, just proxy up a deck and try it out. I could explain why card advantage is good until I'm blue in the face but just trying it in a deck and seeing how potent it is for yourself is going to be much more effective.

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

AceClown posted:

I went 3-1 at pre-release in a store I'd never been to before! Hangarback Walker is loving awesome as a 2 drop that just keeps getting bigger and bigger if it doesn't get answered.

I went GR with a green box, got the foil elf dude and pulled very little other elves so he had to be sidelined. The one drop goblin with renown is a great turn one play and LSV is very very wrong about this card

The ability to get a removal spell back is really powerful in a set that's somewhat light on removal. It did a lot of work for me and doesn't deserve a 0.0 rating

I lost to a guy running multiple Akroan Jailers, doesn't make that a good card either. Even if you get back removal you're still 3 for 1-ing yourself

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Jabor posted:

Splinter Twin for your Convulsing Licids

oh you said your opponents turn then in that case idk

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Barry Shitpeas posted:

I lost to a guy running multiple Akroan Jailers, doesn't make that a good card either. Even if you get back removal you're still 3 for 1-ing yourself

This is very true. Sometimes it's OK to do this in some match ups where you need that removal; but in the end it's a 3-for-1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Honestly I'd rather just play Sarkhan Dragonspeaker and recall every turn maybe.

• Locked thread