Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
What does the pyramid sequencer do that the beatstep doesnt? That price difference is vast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009

cubicle gangster posted:

What does the pyramid sequencer do that the beatstep doesnt? That price difference is vast.

kind of a lot? beatstep pro is limited to 2 note tracks + 1 drum track, pyramid supports up to 64 tracks and 16 different arrangements of those tracks.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Mr. Glass posted:

kind of a lot? beatstep pro is limited to 2 note tracks + 1 drum track, pyramid supports up to 64 tracks and 16 different arrangements of those tracks.

Plus polyphonic sequencing while the beatstep is monophonic.

Beatstep isn't bad by any means, but the Pyramid is like a 90% Cirklon that you can get for under a grand and being on a multi year waiting list.

Looking at things and seeing that the beatstep can do hz/v is seriously cool (the non pro version only does oct/v which was what I was thinking of) and if the Xa has a polyphonic sequencer and I get it I'll probably grab a beatstep, but if I went the P12 module or the Xa doesn't have have a poly sequencer I'll probably pick up a Pyramid.

I've convinced my wife to go to the next winter NAMM since it's right around the corner from me and won't really be buying anything until then because I really need to upgrade my 5 year old laptop.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

Mr. Glass posted:

pyramid supports up to 64 tracks and 16 different arrangements of those tracks.

But it only has one gate/cv/env out and 2 midi - does that mean the other 61 all have to go via usb to a laptop? or 30 odd midi channels into one synth.

outside of polyphony i'm still not seeing the 250 -> 700, and thats probably because i'm not that familiar with the details of hardware sequencers (this may also have something to do with why I asked in the first place)
I've always thought the cirklon looked like a nightmare to use and i'd rather use ipads and simians old setup, but they scrapped the ipads and switched to one. more tracks and more outputs cant be the only reason for that cost.

cubicle gangster fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Jul 10, 2015

Unless
Jul 24, 2005

I art

All you hardware fetishists made me take a minute from reading David Byrne to get to grips with polyrhythm programming in my DAW, and gosh darnit if it ain't just making a longer (2x, 3x, 4x) loop/phrase/clip and playing inside of the new time signature.

https://soundcloud.com/nickprince/20150710-polyrhythm-exercise

Really fun to get started with and instant groove. I laugh at your array of noisey boxes.

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

Snooping as usual, I see.

Unless posted:

All you hardware fetishists made me take a minute from reading David Byrne...
The How Music Works book? I love that thing.

Unless
Jul 24, 2005

I art

Radiapathy posted:

The How Music Works book? I love that thing.

It's so good! Making Music, Bass Culture, and Simon Reynolds' music books have been my everything this spring/summer.

edit: Organizing softsynths on a rainy Friday. About to jump on drums. Anything I'm missing that's worth taking a look at?

Unless fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Jul 11, 2015

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
I'm slowly learning DSP thanks to Patchblocks. I finally grasped how to do fractional samples and I feel like a goddamned idiot for it taking so long.

Now I have a 2 - 10 bit, 1.3kHz - 20kHz sampler that writes a measly 4000 bytes. The Casio SK-1 puts this thing to shame in sample time, but goddamnit is it fun to have a modular sampler.

Menstrual Show
Jun 3, 2004

My beat step pro came in today and when taking the protective sticker off the screen, then poorly-glued screen came off with it.

First gen, folks.

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009

Call of Cholula posted:

My beat step pro came in today and when taking the protective sticker off the screen, then poorly-glued screen came off with it.

First gen, folks.

:stonk:

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Call of Cholula posted:

First gen, folks.

Oh god my hypeness took a tumble thanks

e: Now I have to go read the entire BSP thread on Muffs to see what else is wrong with it. :gonk:

Zam Wesell
Mar 22, 2009

[Zam is suddenly shot in the neck by a toxic dart; Anakin and Obi-Wan see a "rocket-man" take off and fly away, and Zam dies]

AxeBreaker
Jan 1, 2005
Who fucking cares?

What a lousy first impression!

If that had happened to my Electribe 2 I wouldn't have kept it ~7 months it took them to fix most of the pops and gaps. It was just the opposite, solid feeling kit with obvious software problems.

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009

AxeBreaker posted:

What a lousy first impression!

If that had happened to my Electribe 2 I wouldn't have kept it ~7 months it took them to fix most of the pops and gaps. It was just the opposite, solid feeling kit with obvious software problems.

yeah despite all the hate i was (and still am) actually quite happy with my electribe 2. if nothing else it makes a great-sounding drum machine.

Supersonic
Mar 28, 2008

You have used 43 of 300 characters allowed.
Tortured By Flan

Mr. Glass posted:

yeah despite all the hate i was (and still am) actually quite happy with my electribe 2. if nothing else it makes a great-sounding drum machine.

The Electribe 2 love here (and on Reddit) is making me feel pretty good about having placed an order earlier this week for the 2 (which just arrived today!). I was torn between it and the Beatstep Pro, and already I'm loving the sounds and versatility of the Electribe as well as how it integrates with the rest of my gear.

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
Is the electribe 2 a solid polyphonic sequencer? I kind of want to get the sampler as a "studio brain" since I don't have a sampler and it looks more intuitive/jam-friendly than an MPC

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

Expected date for the Beatstep at Guitar Center went from Aug 3 to Aug 21. Maybe it's a good idea to hold off.

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

Plugging this little community called songadayforamonth. It's every Jan/July, I've been putting up goonsynth as International Aural Sex.

Menstrual Show
Jun 3, 2004

Second impressions are that it owns, but it was pretty funny to have that happen immediately upon taking it out of the box. Family in town this weekend, will give a longer write up on it once I have more time with it (in a week or so).

Noxious
Oct 22, 2002

Allow me to give you free stuff, or I will stalk you and poison your family.

Call of Cholula posted:

First gen, folks.

My Arturia Keylab 49 midi controller had similar quality control issues. Unfortunately I don't have a lot of other gear to compare it to so I haven't really been able to decide if it was subpar or still really good but needing a bit of glue here and there. It's heavy and metal and after I glued some of the weights back onto the under side of the keys it seems to have held up well to my various thrashings about with it. The modulus wheel is annoyingly not perfectly straight but eh.

In other news! I just sniped an Alesis Micron for $240 w/shipping on ebay which I'm happy about. I have no idea what I'm in for other than a lot of fiddly menu diving. Anyone else have/use one of these?

AxeBreaker
Jan 1, 2005
Who fucking cares?

What would work best for sequencing a bunch of Volcas from an electribe 2- a midi solutions quadra thru? Is there any other 5 pin midi splitter worth buying.

0dB
Jan 3, 2009

Noxious posted:

In other news! I just sniped an Alesis Micron for $240 w/shipping on ebay which I'm happy about. I have no idea what I'm in for other than a lot of fiddly menu diving. Anyone else have/use one of these?

Yeah. It is a great synthesiser with a really annoying alphabetical patch system. So if you save MYAWESOME it ends up behind hundreds of other crap presets. I eventually deleted every preset and started fresh, in which case it's good. Sorry but you have to delete them one at a time.

There's two sliders and three edit knobs. You can make a good patch and then make 5 different tweaks that make nice variations. This ends up quite effective.

It sounds kind of/sort of like the Oberheim Xpander. Some of the people that worked on that came to Alesis for this project.

And: http://www.hypersynth.com/ion-editor.html

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever
Probably the best VA this side of 2k. Definitely the only one that can stand completely upright on its own.

Noxious
Oct 22, 2002

0dB posted:

Yeah. It is a great synthesiser with a really annoying alphabetical patch system. So if you save MYAWESOME it ends up behind hundreds of other crap presets. I eventually deleted every preset and started fresh, in which case it's good. Sorry but you have to delete them one at a time.

There's two sliders and three edit knobs. You can make a good patch and then make 5 different tweaks that make nice variations. This ends up quite effective.

It sounds kind of/sort of like the Oberheim Xpander. Some of the people that worked on that came to Alesis for this project.

And: http://www.hypersynth.com/ion-editor.html

That sounds like some really good advice. It seems like the official documentation does not do much to help with understanding the midi implementation. I'll have to read up a lot about Sysex and the particulars for this it sounds like. Seems like there might be a way to automate the deletion of all the default patches though.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Synthesizer friends I got a Beatstep Pro and it is definitely a pro purchase. Was up and running right away after some quick tooling with the config editor (which is really easy to use btw). Only thing I've had problems syncing has been a Volca Keys but that's more the Volca than the Beatstep Pro. It's so easy to just set it up and jam away.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

net work error posted:

Synthesizer friends I got a Beatstep Pro and it is definitely a pro purchase. Was up and running right away after some quick tooling with the config editor (which is really easy to use btw). Only thing I've had problems syncing has been a Volca Keys but that's more the Volca than the Beatstep Pro. It's so easy to just set it up and jam away.

Awesome. I'm very excited about the Beatstep Pro.

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

If setting the Sustain Level in the ENV to around 7, you can obtain a howling sound.

net work error posted:

I got one a week ago at a local shop and it's just totally killer. My only issue is cosmetic, as everything else in my studio is pre-1980. It looks like a spaceship.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

Transistor Rhythm posted:

I got one a week ago at a local shop and it's just totally killer. My only issue is cosmetic, as everything else in my studio is pre-1980. It looks like a spaceship.

It flies sideways through time

AxeBreaker
Jan 1, 2005
Who fucking cares?

surrender posted:

Is the electribe 2 a solid polyphonic sequencer? I kind of want to get the sampler as a "studio brain" since I don't have a sampler and it looks more intuitive/jam-friendly than an MPC

I think it is for the price, and the additional functionality. There are some complications you might want to consider. First, there are 16 parts and 16 midi channels you can send to, and they are fixed. Any channel can only send 4 notes per step, and overall you are limited to 24 voices. A further limitation is that many oscillators take up 2 voices per note, and the better filters(Acid, MS20 etc) take up voices as well, although the latter isn't really an issue for the sample since it only has one filter anyways. So it can send stuff to a bunch of different channels, but not two big chords to one channel. I've had some MIDI annoyances (mostly due to inexperience) with it, but and I don't think motion sequences are transmitted via midi, just "real" movements.

I think the biggest irritation as a sequencer is the step edit. Turning a part on in the sequence is quick and intuitive, but editing velocity, attack and notes is kind of a pain for a 64 step pattern. You have to select a part, go into the main menu, select step edit , select a step, and edit note1-4, gate and velocity, all with 1 knob and 2 buttons. If you have good rhythm you can simply play parts live and have them recorded at high resolution. There's no sustain, though, so if you want that effect, you gotta make a bunch of tie notes and alter the velocity.

Try one if you can, and try the step edit. If you can live with the menu diving it's great.

Noxious
Oct 22, 2002

Forgive my naiveté, but why is that something like the Beatstep pro has what seems like arbitrary limitations, e.g. only 2 monophonic step sequencers? I get it from a hardware point of view as far as limits of Midi data (16 channels, data rates, etc.) or only having so many CV/Gate outputs/inputs etc. I also get that early synths, and still analog synths have to manage every voice in hardware but it seems like a sequencer could store and spit out a large number of Midi signals (at least to the limits of the protocol) no problem in whatever configuration you wanted.

Noxious fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Jul 13, 2015

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

It's all a trick! One of the most capable, certainly the cheapest, analog-style sequencers ever made only has two melodic tracks so you need to buy eight for 16 channels of MIDI.
It's all down to chassis size, usability compromise and production cost. If you have more tracks then you have track pads then you should have an LCD instead of #segment display, key-chords or menu diving to switch between the 'hidden' tracks, more 'good' DACs for pitch CV. As it is now you hit a track pad and start cranking knobs. Sequencing juggernauts like the command stations and rm1x/rs7k are a demon realm of menu diving and non-realtime jobs in comparison. Hail Satan.
Storing and spitting hasn't been a problem ever but that doesn't always make for a good performance instrument—

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

Assuming there's not a technical reason, I'd imagine it's about usability. Don't want too many scary buttons.

AxeBreaker
Jan 1, 2005
Who fucking cares?

Is there a go to source for MIDI bits other than Midi Solutions?

I find myself wanting a splitter and a translator because KORG didn't put outs or thrus on any of the Volcas and none of them use the same CC's as the electribe 2.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

AxeBreaker posted:

Is there a go to source for MIDI bits other than Midi Solutions?

I find myself wanting a splitter and a translator because KORG didn't put outs or thrus on any of the Volcas and none of them use the same CC's as the electribe 2.

We use Kenton stuff at work for thrus/merges, I guess they have a lot fewer issues than MIDI solutions stuff, though I couldn't tell you what problems they had exactly, since it pre-dated my time at the company.

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009

MockingQuantum posted:

We use Kenton stuff at work for thrus/merges, I guess they have a lot fewer issues than MIDI solutions stuff, though I couldn't tell you what problems they had exactly, since it pre-dated my time at the company.

if i had to guess, i'd say it's because the midi solutions thru boxes are all passive, meaning they rely on the midi connection of the input device to have enough power to drive 4 midi connections. i've personally never had a problem with this, but i'm using all modern gear and honestly don't have a huge amount of experience complex midi routings.

the kenton splitter box has its own power, so it doesn't have this potential problem.

AxeBreaker
Jan 1, 2005
Who fucking cares?

AxeBreaker posted:

I think it is for the price, and the additional functionality. There are some complications you might want to consider. First, there are 16 parts and 16 midi channels you can send to, and they are fixed. Any channel can only send 4 notes per step, and overall you are limited to 24 voices. A further limitation is that many oscillators take up 2 voices per note, and the better filters(Acid, MS20 etc) take up voices as well, although the latter isn't really an issue for the sample since it only has one filter anyways. So it can send stuff to a bunch of different channels, but not two big chords to one channel. I've had some MIDI annoyances (mostly due to inexperience) with it, but and I don't think motion sequences are transmitted via midi, just "real" movements.

I think the biggest irritation as a sequencer is the step edit. Turning a part on in the sequence is quick and intuitive, but editing velocity, attack and notes is kind of a pain for a 64 step pattern. You have to select a part, go into the main menu, select step edit , select a step, and edit note1-4, gate and velocity, all with 1 knob and 2 buttons. If you have good rhythm you can simply play parts live and have them recorded at high resolution. There's no sustain, though, so if you want that effect, you gotta make a bunch of tie notes and alter the velocity.

Try one if you can, and try the step edit. If you can live with the menu diving it's great.

Ok, I've been diving more into mine, trying to create beats like the ones here:

http://www.attackmagazine.com/technique/beat-dissected/

While using the step editor, I found that I did not have to go in each step, scroll down to velocity or gate time like I thought. You can scroll to the right menu once, and then use the pads to get around. This is buried in the horrible Engrish in Korg's sparse manual. Korg's manuals are pretty terrible in general, I think it's partly a lovely Zen learn-it-yourself-try-harder thing, and engineers hating to write technical manuals.

TL;DR the step editor is not as terrible as I thought it was, it could be much worse. Still, it makes you twist a knob when others would let you hit a note directly.

AxeBreaker
Jan 1, 2005
Who fucking cares?

:gas: Bought an electribe 2 sampler to match my electribe 2. :gas:

snorch
Jul 27, 2009
Have they finally fixed the nasty gap bugs? Because if so I might just get the sampler...

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!
So the K+M Spyder Pro is the Rolls Royce of two-tier keyboard stands. Is there another comparable two-tier stand that's cheaper, or will I just have to bite the bullet go for the Spyder Pro?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AxeBreaker
Jan 1, 2005
Who fucking cares?

snorch posted:

Have they finally fixed the nasty gap bugs? Because if so I might just get the sampler...

Gaps are largely eliminated, supposedly they pop up under extreme settings, clicks are greatly reduced. There are fairly recent firmware updates for both electribes, so they need an update out of the box.