Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
It's stik!

That was really interesting.

It's funny that the cover mechanic (20:00) was thought of so carefully and yet explained so poorly to the player.

It doesn't help there's still that lingering bug where things are listed as red and yet cameras don't spot properly :(

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Jun 19, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stiknork
Aug 3, 2006

don't look at me i'm a monster

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
Game owns. Any DLC planned?

Gwaint
Oct 22, 2010

"Music is the truth. Just listen..."
I believe they're planning on adding new agents and programs in a future update.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Great postmortem.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
I just beat Beginner on my first game and really enjoyed it. I felt under-equipped but Monst3r carried my team of four + Central though the last mission without much issue. Internationale is practically broken with her distance hacking of consoles, but I'm sure it'll reduce to "fair" on higher difficulties. Somehow I seem to have gotten worse unlocks for beating the game than retiring early? Banks and her ability to open level 1 doors without a card would have been really useful but I ended up with Dr. Xu and Nika despite rescuing Shalem and Nika...? I also got Incognita abilities when retiring but not when winning.

Edit: Looks like the retire unlocks were cumulative and I've got everything.

Rewinds were a great mechanic but I can see the change from 5 to 3 being almost as tight as the save reduction on higher difficulties of Hitman. At 5 you can basically use them as free scouting, but 3 seems like it will be what quickloading would be like in X-COM if I had any self-discipline.

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Jun 28, 2015

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Double-posting because more people need to be talking about this game. Everyone's right about Xu being boderline broken but wait until you get him movement stims and that aug that reduces cooldowns when you use an item. I gave that to Banks too and initially regretted it vs. Net Downlink until I started using her to jack consoles with whatever that chip is that gives you extra power. I'm pillaging entire levels on my first play of Experienced; went into a server farm with 108 credits and left with Ping and Lockpick v2.0 in addition to Taurus and Dagger, but I had to sell Sniffer to make space.

Hopefully Ping will make up for my only having a single AP weapon aside from +1 on Decker's melee attacks. I have a feeling Omni is going to humble me anyway.

Edit: YUP

Mr. 8 there is stationary at least.

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Jun 30, 2015

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
About Ping: does the AoE it shows when you're going to place it on the map indicate the distance at which it will alert guards, or simply the area of the noise generated?

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
I just tested it. It will distract all the guards within the yellow AoE to investigate a spot centred on your cursor.

Edit: gently caress I was THIS >< close to beating that hallway but alarm level 3 hit and spawned an extra guard who started with Banks and killed everyone else because he had infinite overwatch attacks. Up until that point I'd taken out everyone except Mr. 8 in the lower right, and he'd run off in the completely wrong direction. Everyone else had been trying to drag bodies into the lower left room which turned out to be the security hub, so they were all in the way and I couldn't shake him no matter how many doors I slammed. The plan had been to pile everyone in there and set a shock trap for anyone who came to check.

Eventually he shot Monst3r before he could peek out for a shot with the only AP3 gun I had. I conceded after that, but I think it's bullshit that he ran right through my cover grenade I used to block the door. Would Ping have distracted him or was the guy hell-bent on Monst3r?

I was ONE turn away from getting all the KO'd guards into the security room and winning that.

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Jun 30, 2015

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi

Shumagorath posted:

I just tested it. It will distract all the guards within the yellow AoE to investigate a spot centred on your cursor.

Edit: gently caress I was THIS >< close to beating that hallway but alarm level 3 hit and spawned an extra guard who started with Banks and killed everyone else because he had infinite overwatch attacks. Up until that point I'd taken out everyone except Mr. 8 in the lower right, and he'd run off in the completely wrong direction. Everyone else had been trying to drag bodies into the lower left room which turned out to be the security hub, so they were all in the way and I couldn't shake him no matter how many doors I slammed. The plan had been to pile everyone in there and set a shock trap for anyone who came to check.

Eventually he shot Monst3r before he could peek out for a shot with the only AP3 gun I had. I conceded after that, but I think it's bullshit that he ran right through my cover grenade I used to block the door. Would Ping have distracted him or was the guy hell-bent on Monst3r?

I was ONE turn away from getting all the KO'd guards into the security room and winning that.

You can even ping the room that guards spawn in to keep them in there for another turn or two.

fspades
Jun 3, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Any tips and load-out suggestions for expert difficulty? It's kicking my rear end right now, but I believe archive Banks is a right choice due to her econ chip.

Also, are there any good LPs for this game that would help me to suck less?

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
I don't know if TastyLemonDrops recorded any of his streams, but watching him play live made a big improvement in my risk-assessment with regards to the game.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I forgot about this game for a while but now that there's a game lull from here till September it gives me time to get back in. Klei is just a ridiculously good team; MotN is one of my favorite games ever, such a simple premise like "2D ninja stealth" should have happened long ago but they did it best and it was flawless. I forgot how far I am but I think I have around 12 hours left on the ticker here.
I really just can't wait to see which genre this developer redefines next because everything they touch turns to gold.

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi

fspades posted:

Any tips and load-out suggestions for expert difficulty? It's kicking my rear end right now, but I believe archive Banks is a right choice due to her econ chip.

Also, are there any good LPs for this game that would help me to suck less?

My first suggestion is to jump straight into Expert+, but I am a crazy person who always tries to loot every single safe in a level, even at max alarm state, so vOv.

I'm a fan of Seed/Daemon starts. The most straightforward starting agents in higher difficulties are ones that can kill guards, so Archive Decker (bonus of OF Decker not being in the rescue pool for prison missions) and any iteration of Shalem. I tell people to jump straight into Expert+ because it is a completely different game, and you will pick up bad habits even from Expert. Being afraid of killing people is one of those bad habits. Dead guards can't shoot your guys, and having free reign to do whatever for a period of time is nice. If you're dead set on not killing anyone, put a lot of points into strength to drag people into convenient locations and employ the nefarious strategy of standing over them while dragging a body to keep two KO'd guards down at the same time. Just be careful: You can't melee if you're on top of a body, and you obviously can't do anything if you're dragging a body, on top of another one, and get caught.

If you want to roll with A. Banks (and that is an excellent choice, since money is really important for the early game), set it up so that one of your agents can operate alone ahead of the one sitting back gobbling up all the money. Max our the econ chip holder's hacking too, since you get 50 more for each level of hacking. All the agents have their niches, and while I wouldn't say any are straight up bad, you will be pretty disappointed if you ended up rescuing OF Decker, since his starting augment is useless.

wolfman101
Feb 8, 2004

PCXL Fanboy
I liked A. Banks and either Internationale. Just immediately hand the econ chip to Internationale and start rolling in money. I have not beaten Expert+ so ymmv.

fspades
Jun 3, 2013

by R. Guyovich

TastyLemonDrops posted:

My first suggestion is to jump straight into Expert+, but I am a crazy person who always tries to loot every single safe in a level, even at max alarm state, so vOv.

I'm a fan of Seed/Daemon starts. The most straightforward starting agents in higher difficulties are ones that can kill guards, so Archive Decker (bonus of OF Decker not being in the rescue pool for prison missions) and any iteration of Shalem. I tell people to jump straight into Expert+ because it is a completely different game, and you will pick up bad habits even from Expert. Being afraid of killing people is one of those bad habits. Dead guards can't shoot your guys, and having free reign to do whatever for a period of time is nice. If you're dead set on not killing anyone, put a lot of points into strength to drag people into convenient locations and employ the nefarious strategy of standing over them while dragging a body to keep two KO'd guards down at the same time. Just be careful: You can't melee if you're on top of a body, and you obviously can't do anything if you're dragging a body, on top of another one, and get caught.

If you want to roll with A. Banks (and that is an excellent choice, since money is really important for the early game), set it up so that one of your agents can operate alone ahead of the one sitting back gobbling up all the money. Max our the econ chip holder's hacking too, since you get 50 more for each level of hacking. All the agents have their niches, and while I wouldn't say any are straight up bad, you will be pretty disappointed if you ended up rescuing OF Decker, since his starting augment is useless.

You mean Seed/Brimstone, right? It's an interesting combo I haven't thought about. I tried A. Banks and Internationale, but I'm thinking Wu or Sharp might be more useful. Thanks for the advice.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Yeah, thanks game. This was really worth nine hours:

The next mission Monst3r had a vault card for sale and I had to sell one of my stun guns to get it. Unfortunately the amount of babysitting I had to do meant a reduction in early scouting. Ended up wiping at alarm level 4 when I took a wrong turn and went as far away from the teleporters as possible. That level was way too big for a security rating of 2 even if it was K&O.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
What would you guys do in this scenario?

This is the very first mission, so it will be awhile before I get anyone up to Speed 4 even if I run into Decker. The extra disruptor could come in handy, but the aug is interesting too because my other agent is Sharp and I'm running with Seed/Lockpick. Having half of Power Drip for effectively no space penalty would be nice.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Shumagorath posted:

Yeah, thanks game. This was really worth nine hours:

The next mission Monst3r had a vault card for sale and I had to sell one of my stun guns to get it. Unfortunately the amount of babysitting I had to do meant a reduction in early scouting. Ended up wiping at alarm level 4 when I took a wrong turn and went as far away from the teleporters as possible. That level was way too big for a security rating of 2 even if it was K&O.

I once managed to combo that on Decker with an augment that gives bonus AP whenever you became cloaked. It was hilarious.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
It's the 5 Power cost I don't like. Stims already have a cooldown without crippling my hacking abilities.

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi

fspades posted:

You mean Seed/Brimstone, right? It's an interesting combo I haven't thought about. I tried A. Banks and Internationale, but I'm thinking Wu or Sharp might be more useful. Thanks for the advice.

Yeah, Seed/Brimstone. Haven't played in a while :v:
Prism and Archive Internationale work very well with that, since they generate power on their own, to make up for the fact that Incognita is just passively reducing the cost of the first program. Ideally you should gather up enough money in your first two missions to go to a server farm and buy up the rest of what you need.

EDIT: Gonna stream some more Endless+ Ironman. Bear with me though, it's been a while since I last played, so I'm probably not completely in the groove of things.

http://www.hitbox.tv/tastylemondrops

TastyLemonDrops fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Jul 1, 2015

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Just beat Experienced on my third try with Sharp, Internationale and a Shalem 11 I got so late he was only good for bodysitting. I was really aggressive with safes but the beauty of having fewer agents was that I got them all up to Speed 4 and Strength whatever-gives-you-more-drag-speed. Sharp ended up stacking a bunch of AP augs and even got Cloak 3 at OMNI to complement his Cloak Stun + Chameleon Movement, so not only could he drop people multiple ways but when he hit them they stayed down. I managed to get everyone on the map using drag-and-pin cheese until Monster started hacking, but everyone made it to the server room conscious despite a pretty nasty layout. I consider it fair after I started off going for a dead end and had to drop a pair of Armour 3 guards that I ended up dragging all the way to the server room.

Seed is definitely better than Power Drip once you get over the instinct to hack everything you see, and it paid off huge at whatever corp constantly reboots things.

Oh yeah, and that one game unlocked all six archive agents.

Alright, enough chest-thumping. Time to take a few days off then try Expert.

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Jul 1, 2015

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Damnit, now I have the urge to see if that game ever got MAMEd

Keksen
Oct 9, 2012

Helical Nightmares posted:

Game owns. Any DLC planned?

I know it's a bit old, but nobody seems to have explicitly mentioned it here yet:

http://steamcommunity.com/games/243970/announcements/detail/237910203510566314

I'm excited for this because as much as I love the game I just can't get myself to start another run with Internationale and her supporting cast. More programs should lead to more tactical options as well.

stiknork
Aug 3, 2006

We've got some news on our DLC plans on the horizon. Not sure when it will get posted officially.

fspades
Jun 3, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Finally won Expert mode and won it again with no rewinds for good measure. So far, my favorite characters are Xu and Sharp. Sharp becomes amazing if you stack melee-related augments on him. 7-turn KOs on 2-turn cooldowns? Don't mind if I do.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Keksen posted:

I know it's a bit old, but nobody seems to have explicitly mentioned it here yet:

http://steamcommunity.com/games/243970/announcements/detail/237910203510566314

I'm excited for this because as much as I love the game I just can't get myself to start another run with Internationale and her supporting cast. More programs should lead to more tactical options as well.

Oh man I cannot wait for new agents and programs, just feed me new agents forever Klei, I will give you money for them and everything. I'm real excited for this.

Draco especially sounds really interesting, and I'm curious what Rush will do that will be different from Nika.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

I keep meaning to go back to this. Looks like the patch will be a good time to get back in.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)

fspades posted:

Finally won Expert mode and won it again with no rewinds for good measure. So far, my favorite characters are Xu and Sharp. Sharp becomes amazing if you stack melee-related augments on him. 7-turn KOs on 2-turn cooldowns? Don't mind if I do.

I had a very nice run where I kept getting tasers, and gave three of them to Sharp. He took a guard out or renewed a KO on pretty much every turn.

Keksen
Oct 9, 2012
Sadly I missed the announcement of this, but here's the Twitch recording of the Klei guys' last stream showing off some of the new stuff!

Really liking the sound of the new programs.

E: Haha, I originally skipped over that part somehow, but apparently Prism's archived version is gonna have some sort of disguise ability.

Keksen fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Jul 17, 2015

Microsoft Weird
Sep 11, 2007

This game is well done and it deserves a nice fat content update like this. I still want to see more missions and more variety in the scripted triggers inside of the existing missions. (Seeing the shop cat activate a daemon is cool but seeing it every time I run the mission is boring.) So I guess I kinda echo the sentiments about the game's writing, although the stuff which is there is really phenomenal, it just needs more. I could barely keep myself interested on a second playthrough, even with an entirely different approach centered on new agents. I think it also needs some more interesting enemies. Maybe if there were rare events like a spy vs spy mission or a rival AI to 'race' against? The game is a great platform but it seems like such a waste right now.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

schizopol posted:

Maybe if there were rare events like a spy vs spy mission or a rival AI to 'race' against? The game is a great platform but it seems like such a waste right now.

Man, that is a great idea. Like a third neutral faction or something?

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

schizopol posted:

The game is a great platform but it seems like such a waste right now.

I don't know how feasible this actually is, but if Klei opened the game up to modding it would be The Best Game.

Connoisseur
Oct 2, 2010

"Every minute we waste could be the difference between a soldier goin' home alive or goin' home in a bag."
There's been an announcement regarding the upcoming free content patch. The release date is August 6th. Also, the PEIA DLC will be out sometime this Fall, and will include expanded campaign content.

quote:

DLC news and Update 11 release date

Update 11: Fresh Code
The update will be go live Aug 6. Along with bug fixes and balance tweaks, it will include almost a dozen new programs to pick up for Incognita, as well 2 new program unlocks for starting options.

Also, Sharp and Prism now have their alternate starting versions like the other agents. Sharp's alt lines up with the other agents as he comes with the standard Neural Disrupter and augment combo. His new augment is similar yet different than his standard one. Prism on the other hand changes the formula up more radically with her Holo Projection Mesh. She doesn't start with a weapon, but this item unique to Prism allows her to put on a guard disguise. As some have suggestion, disguise is a lot like invisibility, but it has it's own brand of perks and drawbacks that make it it's own thing.

Update 11: Fresh Code patch notes:
New Features

2 new starting programs to unlock.
8 new programs to find and buy at server terminals.
Kevin's expanded agent banter added
New versions of the location maps:
new Vault
new CEO office
new Detention Center
new Guard Dispatch
new Server Farm
new Nanofab Vestibule
new Cyberlab (special!)
New starting room variations
Open single door hotkey - default is F
Armor icon and stat always visible on guards
Item requirements always show
CTRL click for right click on MAC enabled
Tooltip on guards searched and expertly searched by an agent with Anarchy 5
Augment grafter panel improved

Balance Changes

Felix daemon has been changed.
Cloak Rig III was changed.

Bug fixes

Guards insta killing KO agents when they wake up is fixed.
KO resistance will modify all KO effects like shocktaps and flash grenades
Fixed blocked peeking in an obscure case
Blinking rewind button no longer pauses gameplay
Time attack mode will now also unlock Expert level achievements
Holocircuit Overloaders do not make a noise that will alert guards.
Modded plastech guard spawn rate bug fixed
Endless key card exploit removed
Central can pick up the final mission item if she starts with a full inventory.
Anatomy Analysis will not activate on disabled heart monitors.
A Prisoner or Courier can abandon an agent in the field as long as at least one agent has escaped beforehand

DLC News
Previously we had said there would be a small PEIA (Pan Euro Infosec Agency) DLC. It was going be several new agents that Central worked with during her time in that organization. We've been listening to the comments on the forum and on Steam and the overwhelming desire is to see more of the campaign. So we've decided to expand the DLC's scope.

Along with the previously mentioned PEIA agents, this new larger "Contingency Plan" DLC will extend the time of the campaign as well as new programs and gear for the agents and new security for the corps. New guards, Daemons and other complications.

We will also be looking into the possibility of new game modes as well as extending the life of Endless Mode further than day 10. "Contingency Plan" will be coming out in the Fall.

I've played this game a ton and love it to death, so I'm happy to see new stuff.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Is there anywhere to buy the soundtrack?

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Connoisseur posted:

I've played this game a ton and love it to death, so I'm happy to see new stuff.

This has definitely become my absolute favorite tactical game out there. It's a ton of fun and I've played it loads since fairly early in the open beta ages back, and I am really really excited for this extra content. This is gonna be GREAT.

Kerrek
Dec 17, 2004
Is the new content live yet? I won't be around to play until late tomorrow, I'd like to get spoilers and people's feedback if I can.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
It hasn't hit steam yet.

Nothing was mentioned, but I really hope they fix/change decker's implant because he's so bad when you find him in a cell.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

I have been obsessed with this game for the last few weeks. Nice to see it's still being developed, because I don't think I'll get tired of it anytime soon.

I was super proud of myself for pulling this off last night:

Other than a rough Day 1 (I got back-to-back firewall Daemons early into my second mission), it wasn't that bad. Running Central and Monst3r fixed the power flow problems from relying on Brimstone, and the first agent I rescued was Internationale. It would have been even easier had I hit a server farm earlier, but like an idiot I waited until Day 3 to round out my programs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stiknork
Aug 3, 2006

We're on sale -for 40% off this weekend in addition to the update, if anyone's interested and hasn't checked out the game. http://store.steampowered.com/app/243970

• Locked thread