Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Cricket
This poll is closed.
Blackface in crowd 129 55.36%
References to Lord of the Rings 104 44.64%
Total: 233 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Our review identified changes needed to be made and, in Stephen, we have a coach who has a reputation for demanding the highest standards.

Negligent posted:

If Watto is batting at 3 and the opener has fallen cheaply it's arguably worth a go with 2/2 reviews to use

Not when there is 0% chance of it being overturned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Its just lovely here this time of year.
No ones gonna say mate that was plum lbw, get out, because poo poo that looks out to the naked eye at the non strikers end sometimes isn't, that's why Drs exists in the first place.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Negligent posted:

No ones gonna say mate that was plum lbw, get out, because poo poo that looks out to the naked eye at the non strikers end sometimes isn't, that's why Drs exists in the first place.

Watson has been out LBW DRS EIGHT times in Ashes tests alone. I've found at least another half dozen of Watson losing an LBW DRS. It's quite apparent if Watson reviews a LBW, it's loving out.

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Well yeah but who's gonna say that out in the middle to the teachers pet?

"Excuse me Shane but my statistics show that you are highly unlikely to overturn this decision on review"

Yeah, nah mate.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Negligent posted:

Anyone who isnt a screaming moron

Airstream Driver
May 6, 2009

Negligent posted:

"Use your bat next time dumbarse. Tell your story walking"

EMC
Aug 17, 2004

If Watto is dropped I could see him having a sad and getting on a plane back home, seems like the kind of baby to do such a thing

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Airstream Driver posted:

Airstream Driver posted:

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Anyone who isnt a screaming moron
Have you guys ever played on actual cricket team? Because there is stuff you don't really say to a guy to will be sharing a dressing room with.

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete
Watson was super unlucky in the first dig, only like 0.1% of the ball was hitting the stumps. The second innngs more clear cut but was still ump's call; however the fact is those decisions go against him because he is widely known as a front foot plonker. That's the reason he should he dropped, he wasn't worse than anyone else really, but he barely bowled and he got out the same way he always does in both innings.

Airstream Driver
May 6, 2009

He's taken more than 1 wicket in an innings once since the end of 2011.

http://www.howstat.com/cricket/statistics/Players/PlayerBowlGraph.asp?PlayerID=3017

He used to average 42 with the bat and 27 with the ball.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Negligent posted:

Have you guys ever played on actual cricket team? Because there is stuff you don't really say to a guy to will be sharing a dressing room with.

Quite clearly I'm too smart and not enough oval office to play cricket. You on the other hand should bat at No 5 for the Aussies

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
I dunno, I reckon you'd fit perfectly.

Coucho Marx
Mar 2, 2009

kick back and relax

Airstream Driver posted:

He's taken more than 1 wicket in an innings once since the end of 2011.

http://www.howstat.com/cricket/statistics/Players/PlayerBowlGraph.asp?PlayerID=3017

He used to average 42 with the bat and 27 with the ball.

I remember him having a pretty good run as an opener, I always saw him (after his many injuries) as a batting allrounder mostly.

His whole career has just been a mess.

a real chump
Jul 30, 2003

noice
Nap Ghost

Negligent posted:

This is exactly what happened when Warner asked Smith.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

When you're sharing a dressing room with someone then you say "yeah mate, I think you were probably in front and the ball was hitting the stumps" and not "don't review it you loving cockwomble you were plumb in front you oval office".

See, it's easy.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

I assume I'm like most people in this thread in that the only thing preventing me from being an international cricketer is my lack of tactfulness.

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.

Coucho Marx posted:

I remember him having a pretty good run as an opener, I always saw him (after his many injuries) as a batting allrounder mostly.

Has never been the same since he developed that DVT.

Centusin
Aug 5, 2009
Someone on Twitter said it's raining in Cardiff

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

One thing that video tells me about Watson is than in addition to all his front foot problems he doesn't know where his stumps are.

I hope he plays all series and is lbw 10 times.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Scylo posted:

Someone on Twitter said it's raining in Cardiff
In Cardiff Bay right now, can confirm.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

GAME PLANS? We don't need no stinking game plans.

:cry: :cry: :cry:

Shmoses posted:

Watson was super unlucky in the first dig, only like 0.1% of the ball was hitting the stumps. The second innngs more clear cut but was still ump's call; however the fact is those decisions go against him because he is widely known as a front foot plonker. That's the reason he should he dropped, he wasn't worse than anyone else really, but he barely bowled and he got out the same way he always does in both innings.

That's the problem really. Both his DRS appeals were worth a shout within the circumstance of the match.

But he is out lbw the same way over and over again because he has awful footwork.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

It was gonna rain in Cardiff today since about Friday I think.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Been pissing down all morning

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD

Burn Down Canberra posted:

That's the problem really. Both his DRS appeals were worth a shout within the circumstance of the match.

But he is out lbw the same way over and over again because he has awful footwork.

It seems more unlikely to get the decision overturned on DRS when umpire's calls are still a thing tbh. Not really worth it unless you reckon it was missing the stumps by a mile.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

GAME PLANS? We don't need no stinking game plans.

:cry: :cry: :cry:

Seams posted:

It seems more unlikely to get the decision overturned on DRS when umpire's calls are still a thing tbh. Not really worth it unless you reckon it was missing the stumps by a mile.

The first one was genuinely quite high and it was towards the new ball iirc. The second one was plum but wood might have overstepped. I'd have forgave him reviewing it if he has been cleaned bowled.

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

:eyepop:

Negligent posted:

Give Steve Smith a bowl
I was thinking that too. I rate Smith's leggy fifth above Warner's medium pace filth.

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

:qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq:

EMC posted:

If Watto is dropped I could see him having a sad and getting on a plane back home, seems like the kind of baby to do such a thing

considering he literally did this exact thing previously then yeah it would be pretty likely

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
and nothing of value would be lost.

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

:qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq:

Coucho Marx posted:

i remember everyone creaming themselves when he first came onto the scene as a batting allrounder who could bowl at near 90mph, and everyone was so annoyed he kept breaking down with injury. then of course by the time he settled into the team the fans couldnt see him out of it soon enough because he doesnt have 2 brain cells to rub together

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
South Africa are 155/8 against Bangladesh in an ODI. Pitch might be an absolute minefield though.

edit - all out for 162

goatface fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Jul 12, 2015

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Bangladesh won comfortably. Mahmudullah still owns.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

snaeksikn posted:

i remember everyone creaming themselves when he first came onto the scene as a batting allrounder who could bowl at near 90mph, and everyone was so annoyed he kept breaking down with injury. then of course by the time he settled into the team the fans couldnt see him out of it soon enough because he doesnt have 2 brain cells to rub together

Watson circa 2009/2010 was in all fairness a pretty bloody good player. Sure we were all laughing at his habit of getting out in the 90's in tragic fashion - but he was also getting 90's, getting wickets and by some margin the best player in the side. Maybe if he didnt keep snapping in half he might be at the end of a good career and we would be talking quite differently career but whatever now he's an idiot who is more predictable than "Hughes caught Guptill bowled Martin".

Centusin
Aug 5, 2009
English people don't like cricket http://www.theguardian.com/sport/blog/2015/jul/12/ashes-sky-england-australia-ecb-tv?CMP=twt_gu

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Correction, people refuse to pay £60 a month for sky sports and just watch internet streams.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

English people don't like paying through the nose for sports, more like

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Also this is brilliant.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/cricket/33500551

Sachin Tendulkar still takes the bus, and he does it to go and look at English stately homes.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Cricket isn't on Free To Air TV in the UK???? What the gently caress?

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
The ECB lobbied the government to take England home tests off of the "must be on free TV" list just before they signed a big bucks deal with Sky in order to help "grow cricket". the only free cricket in the UK since the 2005 Ashes bar highlights has been the IPL until this year, and some random Scotland games.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

IceAgeComing posted:

The ECB lobbied the government to take England home tests off of the "must be on free TV" list just before they signed a big bucks deal with Sky in order to help "grow cricket". the only free cricket in the UK since the 2005 Ashes bar highlights has been the IPL until this year, and some random Scotland games.

So in order to "grow" the game, they restrict the viewing audience.

Thats some "Big 3" tier level thinking there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

BrigadierSensible posted:

So in order to "grow" the game, they restrict the viewing audience.

Thats some "Big 3" tier level thinking there.

Yes but think about how much their bank balance has grown in the meantime!