Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

Heavy Metal February 1983

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
Blagh, anything written by Kevin Smith should be verboten in this thread.

Kirchner's The Bus in incredible, though!
There's a whole album of them up at http://imgur.com/a/S3k3C , and they have a wonderfully surreal tone to them.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
:nws:!!!

A lot of those have a Winsor McCay vibe. I dig it.

Uthor fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Jul 12, 2015

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

Did batman gently caress harley in the ocean?

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

bunnyofdoom posted:

Did batman gently caress harley in the ocean?
It's all terrible, but that's Silver St. Cloud.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I just imagined Kevin Smith purposefully requesting her hair be drawn in pigtails, and thinking about how his real-life daughter is named Harley my mind went to a very dark place. I'm sorry.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Kevin Smith doesn't seem to be able to write a comic book character that doesn't sound like Kevin Smith.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.

Phylodox posted:

Kevin Smith doesn't seem to be able to write a comic book character.

Having just read Quiver, Cacophony, Widening Gyre, and Green Hornet back to back a few weeks after reading Guardian Devil, this is a more accurate statement.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I think his Daredevil is fine, mainly because he had Quesada there with him, and his early Green Arrow stuff is ok. But holy gently caress, keep him away from Batman.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Yeah I unironically think Quiver is good, and while I dislike "Guardian Devil" I can't deny that it worked at cementing the character again, but the second he gets anywhere near Batman he becomes everything we hate about Kevin Smith and that includes inside Quiver. Sorry for the text size, couldn't find better scans.

a.k.a: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pqv_LUStxDw

WHOA KEVIN SMITH SLOW DOWN I MIGHT BURST A VESSEL AT THIS INCREDIBLE DISPLAY OF INTELLECT

Yeah that doesn't sound like Kevin Smith making a joke after a bong rip at all.

Y'know I ain't gonna be too hard on the concept, only the execution. it's weird how it took until "Boomerang Arrow" in Hawkeye for this decades-old joke to finally even kind-of land.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Chaos Hippy posted:

Having just read Quiver, Cacophony, Widening Gyre, and Green Hornet back to back a few weeks after reading Guardian Devil, this is a more accurate statement.

The exchange between Batman and a drugged-out, semi-level-headed Joker was a good part (probably *the* only good part) of Cacophony, but it was all completely undone by Widening Gyre. I can live without scenes like Cacophony slitting a woman's throat just because Smith seems to think fridging is still a good thing. Even Cacophony had a part in it where the villain kills a hooker for no other reason than LOOK HOW EDGY I AM.

If I didn't know any better I'd swear he was trying to be an Ennis knockoff, only his 'oh, that guy' thing is dead women instead of rape.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Jul 12, 2015

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

The only thing I remember about his Batman run is Batman pissing himself, and the Joker offering to let the guy who broke him out of prison gently caress him in the rear end.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

TheJoker138 posted:

The only thing I remember about his Batman run is Batman pissing himself, and the Joker offering to let the guy who broke him out of prison gently caress him in the rear end.

Actually, if I remember my horrible writing, Joker said he insisted on being a "top" in that exchange.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Actually, if I remember my horrible writing, Joker said he insisted on being a "top" in that exchange.

I swear he dropped his pants and bent over for the guy. Also maybe the line "I warn you, I bottom from the top" in it? But that might have been from some other thing with a similar, terrible joke.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

TheJoker138 posted:

I swear he dropped his pants and bent over for the guy. Also maybe the line "I warn you, I bottom from the top" in it? But that might have been from some other thing with a similar, terrible joke.

You've got a better memory for poo poo writing than I do:

Source: Batman: Cacophony

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

I hold Quiver very close to my heart but dude can be really bad in really awkward ways.

Metalshark
Feb 4, 2013

The seagull is essential.
I was reading this article on Aunt May being awkward (http://goodcomics.comicbookresources.com/2015/07/10/top-five-most-awkward-aunt-may-moments/) and the panel of Peter's murderface from Web of Spider-Man #50 cracked me up.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.

Chinaman7000 posted:

I hold Quiver very close to my heart but dude can be really bad in really awkward ways.

Quiver was my favourite Kevin Smith story until I reread it last week. Now I'm pretty sure Green Hornet is the least lovely thing he's done.

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

You should try it, it's a real buzz.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I can live without scenes like Cacophony slitting a woman's throat just because Smith seems to think fridging is still a good thing.

Funny, considering his statements about violence against women as a plot device in "This film is not yet rated".

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

That Ignorant Sap posted:

Indeed.

(from issue 2)

Of course Detroit has a Bill Laimbeer memorial hospital.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

I love the tag line.

vvv edit: not this again vvv

Uthor fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Jul 12, 2015

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!

Uthor posted:

I love the tag line.

dear god that's the ugliest thing I've ever seen.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Cricken_Nigfops posted:

dear god that's the ugliest thing I've ever seen.

I don't understand people.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Not liking the style is one thing and sure taste is subjective but that's hyperbole to the point of trolling unless you've been blind your entire life and just got an eyeball transplant right now.

e: that's not even the ugliest thing on this page

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Travis343 posted:

Not liking the style is one thing and sure taste is subjective but that's hyperbole to the point of trolling unless you've been blind your entire life and just got an eyeball transplant right now.

e: that's not even the ugliest thing on this page

I forgot what thread it was in but last week there were a bunch of people freaking out over how "bad" the art in SG is.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Senor Candle posted:

I forgot what thread it was in but last week there were a bunch of people freaking out over how "bad" the art in SG is.

This thread, like three pages back. It's too soon to go through it all again!

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

IndustrialApe posted:

Funny, considering his statements about violence against women as a plot device in "This film is not yet rated".

Smith has always struck me as a "do as I say, not as I do" kind of guy.

Plus, it's *comics*, in film you have to allot for the fact that women might see your product in significant numbers.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Jul 12, 2015

Milotic
Mar 4, 2009

9CL apologist
Slippery Tilde
Take it to the art thread. More funny panels.

Uncanny X-Men #12 (part of the terrible Battle of the Atom). Classic Bendis dialogue.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

Senor Candle posted:

I don't understand people.

How dare they degenerate my squirrel waifu

great lakes initiative summer special cover iir

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009

Milotic posted:

Uncanny X-Men #12 (part of the terrible Battle of the Atom). Classic Bendis dialogue.

That is completely Dirk Anger and I love it.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Sizone posted:

Post Funny Panels: How dare they degenerate my squirrel waifu

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

denigrate

...unless she fights Mr. Sinister with the X-Men or something, I suppose.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien
Forums user Drifter, catching that which auto correct misses.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Never far from the obvious, that one.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
I said, Mr Sinister could probably do it.

no clue what comic besides 'X-men'.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Drifter posted:

I said, Mr Sinister could probably do it.

And they try

and they try

and they try

and oh do they try

but they can't make his costume match his premise.

No no no no.

I know originally Sinister's design was meant for a different concept--some kid's imaginary boogeyman made real iirc--that changed as other writers got a hold of the character. Doesn't matter. The costume still doesn't work but is too iconic for Marvel to retire and that sucks because the concept of Sinister alone puts him in the top 10 X-villains list.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Drifter posted:

no clue what comic besides 'X-men'.

Laser Cows!

(Gunnerkrigg Court)

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

mind the walrus posted:

I know originally Sinister's design was meant for a different concept--some kid's imaginary boogeyman made real iirc--that changed as other writers got a hold of the character. Doesn't matter. The costume still doesn't work but is too iconic for Marvel to retire and that sucks because the concept of Sinister alone puts him in the top 10 X-villains list.
Actually his costume owns.
It's distinctive, has a simple enough design that you can alter the details without changing the essential costume, and the 'cape' offers a lot of scope for drawing it to dramatically highlight anything about Sinister's character from his creepiness, power, shadowy nature, or simply filling up a panel to make him seem a larger presence than he would otherwise. You can strip a lot of details away from Sinister, but the cape is such a good artistic tool for visually conveying Sinister as something more than a boob in a bodysuit that it's no wonder artists don't stray far from it.

Also, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Qd6vRG9aWE&t=4m55s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS
That's got to be a riff on Nextwave.

Edit: GD it, wrong post. I meant Agent Hill going off on how much she hates Hank McCoy.

TheCenturion fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Jul 13, 2015