Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Nerd Of Prey posted:

I'm pretty sure they were blue in ANH as well; even the earliest prototype from pre-production was blue.

There's a lot of pictures of TIE models out there, but it's hard to tell for sure what was used on film and in which movie. After some googling I found this picture of Dennis Muren messing with Vader and his wingmen's fighters which is definitely from Episode IV. It's kind of a washed-out photo, but at the very least you can tell they're not charcoal gray.

I'm not sure why I'm debating the point, as I certainly have no plans to buy a model TIE Fighter the size of a large dog.

The models had a bluish tint to them on set but in the first film under final lighting, they look straight up grey in the actual battle scenes, which is presumably what HT are trying to replicate. See also Artoo in his little X-Wing slot, much of the colour is absent, the blue becomes navy-black, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

I actually realized that I had the means to reach out to some old ILM people (the magic of Facebook) and ask what was up with the color of the TIE fighters in different movies, and if that replica is accurate.

Here it is straight from the source:

quote:

If you look at the original '77 Star Wars the TIE fighters tend to be a more primer gray color. In 1980's Empire Strikes Back, they then became more blue. I worked on the Star Wars restorations in the 90's as the VFX Editor and at the time asked why the change in color between the two movies, which primarily had to do with improvements in blue screen technology. They were always intended to have a blue hue, but that was hard to pull off photo-chemically back in the day when the original TIE fighters were filmed in front of blue screen for the '77 Star Wars ...hence the primer gray some fans fondly remember!

quote:

We always painted them "stormy sea blue" actually blue-grey. I saw the big one at the Con and think that it was a wise choice to add a metallic sheen to the top coat. At that scale the original color would have looked very flat, although there could have been a touch of blue in the paint.

:ms:

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

The next Marvel Unlimited subscription figure (previously specialty Marvel Legends Ultron (2013) and Rocket Racoon (2014)) will be Rescue.

iceyman
Jul 11, 2001

What the hell is Marvel Unlimited and how much does it cost?

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

RevKrule posted:

The next Marvel Unlimited subscription figure (previously specialty Marvel Legends Ultron (2013) and Rocket Racoon (2014)) will be Rescue.

Well they fuckin' got me there, goddamnit

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

Marvel unlimited is their online comic subscription. For $100/year you get to read new marvel issues for free six months after release and any number of their monster back catalogue (as well as a welcome you every year and they're trying to do other extras like posters). There are gaps but they're getting better and the app isn't too terrible to use.

Havoc904
Jul 29, 2006

A school festival is a festival that takes place at our school!
Hasbro Toy Shop has a little notice on their front page that SDCC Exclusives won't go up online until Tuesday July 28th. Just a heads up for anyone interested in the legends Dr Strange pack or the Fore Awakens Stormtrooper that they won't go up this week like they normally do.

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Nerd Of Prey posted:

I actually realized that I had the means to reach out to some old ILM people (the magic of Facebook) and ask what was up with the color of...

:ms:

I'm just taking the time to say I appreciate this extra level of nerdiness you went through to an answer an insignificant question.

Also the Vinyl Idol lines are starting to pop up if anyone was interested in those. I might have to get a Venkman to go with my Funko Slimer.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
I'm not sure why they didn't do the cartoon version

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
And on a similar note,

gently caress YEAH

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

boom boom boom posted:

Because that cartoon ended 11 years ago.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Aphrodite posted:

Even the last version of the comic was retooled to be more like the cartoon since that's the most well known version of the character.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Aphrodite posted:

Do a google image search for Static Shock and see how far you have to scroll before you see a picture of him in that costume

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

boom boom boom posted:

Do a google image search for Static Shock and see how far you have to scroll before you see a picture of him in that costume

2nd row, first picture. I'm interested in getting that figure because it's the original Milestone look.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

The_Doctor posted:

2nd row, first picture. I'm interested in getting that figure because it's the original Milestone look.

In the first 300 results for "Static Shock" that version only appears twice though.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Still happy we're getting the first version though. I'm sure there'll be a more modern version in time.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

That's because Static Shock is the cartoon.

The character is just called Static.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Aphrodite posted:

That's because Static Shock is the cartoon.

The character is just called Static.

Well see what happens when you GIS that!

Edit: Also he's had two series published under that title because again, that's the most well known version of the character.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Rhyno posted:

Well see what happens when you GIS that!

I get lots of pictures of the sky.

Duke Igthorn
Oct 11, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

boom boom boom posted:

Cause dreads, coats, and popped collars cost more than a repaint?

A Tin Of Beans
Nov 25, 2013

Havoc904 posted:

Hasbro Toy Shop has a little notice on their front page that SDCC Exclusives won't go up online until Tuesday July 28th. Just a heads up for anyone interested in the legends Dr Strange pack or the Fore Awakens Stormtrooper that they won't go up this week like they normally do.

Thanks kindly!

I've been forcing myself not to just ebay up a Magik yet.

Strong Style Liger
Mar 10, 2013
Found the Walgreens exclusive Ant-Man this morning (I'm on the south coast of MA). I went in just to see what they had and they were unloading a case. It's a nice figure and I'm really fond of the sculpt on the helmet. I was sort of shocked because I had only heard they were making him a couple of weeks ago and it seems like we're rarely the first to get things around here.

Strong Style Liger fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Jul 16, 2015

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

Strong Style Liger posted:

Found the Walgreens exclusive Ant-Man this morning (I'm on the south coast of MA). I went in just to see what they had and they were unloading a case. It's a nice figure and I'm really fond of the sculpt on the helmet. I was sort of shocked because I had only heard they were making him a couple of weeks ago and it seems like we're rarely the first to get things around here.

Neat! Thanks for the heads up!

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
People are slowly starting to find the latest wave of World of Nintendo figures at Meijers so if anybody finds any, I'll gladly pay you back. Specifically looking for:

4":
-Peach
-Fox
-Big Goomba
2.5":
-Blue Pikmin
-Bullet Bill
-Pirana Plant w/pipe

Gracias and much love.

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

I still haven't found a Metroid, I don't think they exist

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

The Rage posted:

They do only in Canada and the Nintendo World Store.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

The Rage posted:

I have been in the same boat. I really want one to go with my Samus.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Louisgod posted:

They do only in Canada and the Nintendo World Store.

I saw one at a Toys R Us with all the Walking Dead toys like 4 months ago.

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

I saw one at a Toys R Us with all the Walking Dead toys like 4 months ago.

Thats amazing cause my TRU still has like 30 Donkey Kong's on the shelf

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Louisgod posted:

People are slowly starting to find the latest wave of World of Nintendo figures at Meijers so if anybody finds any, I'll gladly pay you back. Specifically looking for:

4":
-Peach
-Fox
-Big Goomba
2.5":
-Blue Pikmin
-Bullet Bill
-Pirana Plant w/pipe

Gracias and much love.

They had 2 Foxes at my local TRU when I went there this afternoon. I'll drop by again today when they open and see if one is still there.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Blackchamber posted:

They had 2 Foxes at my local TRU when I went there this afternoon. I'll drop by again today when they open and see if one is still there.

Thank you!

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Louisgod posted:

Thank you!

Ok got Fox and Peach. There was a Goomba but it wasnt labeled as 'Big Goomba' so I dunno if it was the right one.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Blackchamber posted:

Ok got Fox and Peach. There was a Goomba but it wasnt labeled as 'Big Goomba' so I dunno if it was the right one.

I love you and will PM you soon! If the goomba was in the same general package then it was the one I wanted but I can live without it and appreciate you going back to grab them.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Louisgod posted:

I love you and will PM you soon! If the goomba was in the same general package then it was the one I wanted but I can live without it and appreciate you going back to grab them.

Well I tucked the Goomba up on the upper overstock shelf so I can probably swing back and get him later today. I'll let you know if I do.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Blackchamber posted:

Well I tucked the Goomba up on the upper overstock shelf so I can probably swing back and get him later today. I'll let you know if I do.

Seriously?

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

I've done that before for stuff I'm deliberating on or picking up for others and usually hide them behind dumb poo poo for idiots, like Marvel Universe figures, Xbox One boxes, or wrestling figures.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
Picked this badboy up off ebay.

Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

I hope the Paul Rudd face on the Hot Toys Ant-Man is spot-on, that suit is baller and a good Tayne likeness will get me to preorder it.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

There's only the helmeted head with a removable part of the mask, no plain Rudd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Louisgod posted:

I've done that before for stuff I'm deliberating on or picking up for others and usually hide them behind dumb poo poo for idiots, like Marvel Universe figures, Xbox One boxes, or wrestling figures.

Don't hide toys, man. That is crazy. And obnoxious, for other people who might want that toy and the store employees who are supposed to keep the toy area in order.