Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Parmesan Basil
Nov 12, 2008

TIME IS THE FIRE IN WHICH WE BURN THE GAME CLOCK

Bad Seafood posted:

The short version is don't be paralyzed by regrets; the woulda, coulda, shouldas.

The long version is our protagonist is someone who is so fixated on how life "Should be" that he fails to appreciate what life "Is." He begins every episode full of hope and promise only to make mistakes, as do we all, and winds up wishing he had chosen differently. So we turn back the clock. Maybe things will play out differently this time, though they never do. Not really. The scenery changes, but he always ends up with the same group of friends engaged in the same zany shenanigans, "Wasting away" his college years. Each time he encounters the old fortuneteller she charges him more and more for the exact same fortune. The more time he spends chasing regret-fueled impossibilities, the more expensive it becomes to gaze into his future.

Akashi is a wonderful girl. She's smart, assertive, conversational, and good-looking. Our protagonist is given several chances to spend time with her, to be with her, yet he blows her off time and time again because he wants everything to be just right before he can even think about starting a serious relationship with her. Even though she's right here, right now, willing to be with him as things are. She's such a likable character, it's easy to assume it's a fault of the show that she's not featured more. But that's the point.

Here's a semi-pretentious quote to sum up how you should feel about this:

The muckraker is our protagonist. No points for guessing who Akashi is.

This leads us to the titular Tatami Galaxy our boy finds himself in. The thing about tatami mat rooms is that no matter how you arrange them or what you decorate them with, they're all functionally the same room. Our protagonist escapes from one room to another, from one choice to another, but it's the same room really because he's making the same choices just in a different context. He makes the same choices because he's a flawed person, as are we all, and no amount of pinning the blame on external factors is going to change that. Even so, he chases that fleeting, perfect room. He'll never find it of course, but that won't stop him from barreling through the maze. Forever.

The revelation that frees him then, and us, is the idea that life is what you make it. There is no ideal, "Rose-tinted" college experience. You go to college and have an experience. The end. If you didn't like it, take care in shaping your future experiences, but don't go wasting away wishing for a better past. The past's the past. Look to the future. In the protagonist's case, he ends up deciding how he spent his college years wasn't so bad after all. He caused a lot of trouble, sure, but he had a lot of fun, didn't he? Made a lot of friends too. Including Akashi.

There's a lot more to it, naturally, but broadly speaking this is probably the biggest thing the show wants you to take away from it.

Respect to you for analyzing a work to such a degree. Doing that helps me enjoy things more, imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Greetings, thread.

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

Konnichiwa

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Parmesan Basil posted:

Respect to you for analyzing a work to such a degree. Doing that helps me enjoy things more, imo.

The agreed emote meme

K. Flaps
Dec 7, 2012

by Athanatos

Srice posted:

The agreed emote meme

The "The meme" meme has gone too far.

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

SVMS-01 UNION FLAG GREATEST MOBILE SUIT

ENACT = CHEAP EUROTRASH COPY

K. Flaps posted:

We could always replace it with a new meme, like saying "Checkers!" whenever we agree with a statement/sentiment.

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

K. Flaps posted:

:agreed:

Jostiband
May 7, 2007

K. Flaps posted:

The enough meme

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

K. Flaps posted:

It's top to flip it on its head and start making up fake memes for the the meme meme

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

Srice posted:

It's top to flip it on its head and start making up fake memes for the the meme meme

That's enough.. Too far..

.jpg
Jan 18, 2011

Srice posted:

You can't troll me, I will check Know Your Meme to see if they are official

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

My phone thought I meant to say top, when I really typed time, what the heck

.jpg
Jan 18, 2011

It's been out of control since 2012!

Butt Frosted Cake
Dec 27, 2010

.jpg posted:

You can't troll me, I will check Know Your Meme to see if they are official

useless im always on the cutting edge of memes

K. Flaps
Dec 7, 2012

by Athanatos

Srice posted:

Srice, it's time to move on.

.jpg
Jan 18, 2011

Butt Frosted Cake posted:

useless im always on the cutting edge of memes

:tinfoil: everything that I see could potentially be an undocumented meme

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Beef is very patient and I'm very thankful. :3:

I watched Tatami Galaxy. It WAS different than I expected, goddamn.

Jostiband
May 7, 2007

Welcome back again :)

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

K. Flaps posted:

Srice, it's time to move on.

I guess all dreams have to die sometime.

Jostiband
May 7, 2007

the wickedhate gets her rear end probated again meme

(but I don't think it counts cause it was a joke probation)

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I've considered not talking about KLK at all anymore, both because of the negative reaction it gets from others and because there are a lot of shows I like even more and I repeat my worry of becoming mainly known for liking KLK more than anything else. I still do like KLK, I've just not thought of it as The Best Thing Ever since it ended. I end up in the position of defending it often because that's still liking it more than most people. It's about on par with TTGL, I'd say.

Tatami Galaxy was weird yall. That animation was pretty distinct. I can't figure out what it reminded me of, though.

WickedHate fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Jul 12, 2015

K. Flaps
Dec 7, 2012

by Athanatos
Kill la Kill is good.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Srice posted:

I guess all dreams have to die sometime.

Should have used the "Done" meme right there

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

do u mean that you watched all of tatami galaxy in 1 day

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Davincie posted:

do u mean that you watched all of tatami galaxy in 1 day

I've not. Still a work in progress, I'm just not sure when I'll have the time to get back to it.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

the wildest rear end posted:

Should have used the "Done" meme right there

drat that would have been the perfect time...

.jpg
Jan 18, 2011

WickedHate posted:

I've not. Still a work in progress, I'm just not sure when I'll have the time to get back to it.

You're just asking to be probated again at this point

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

.jpg posted:

You're just asking to be probated again at this point

Hey, I tried it instead of dismissing it. I didn't dislike it either, it's just not a priority.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

WickedHate posted:

I've considered not talking about KLK at all anymore, both because of the negative reaction it gets from others and because there are a lot of shows I like even more and I repeat my worry of becoming mainly known for liking KLK more than anything else. I still do like KLK, I've just not thought of it as The Best Thing Ever since it ended. I end up in the position of defending it often because that's still liking it more than most people. It's about on par with TTGL, I'd say.

It's ok to not defend things that you like when other people don't like them. Sometimes it feels bad when someone shits on a thing you like, but pick your battles.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Everything Burrito posted:

It's ok to not defend things that you like when other people don't like them. Sometimes it feels bad when someone shits on a thing you like, but pick your battles.

Yeah, that's what I mean.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

As a general rule, Citizen Kane comparisons are usually really foolish to make.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I wonder how many people who make that comparison have actually seen Citizen Kane.

K. Flaps
Dec 7, 2012

by Athanatos
I've seen Citizen Kane.

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

The Tatami Galaxy is the Citizen Kane of anime

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

littleorv posted:

The Tatami Galaxy is the Citizen Kane of anime

I wish this was true.

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Citizen Kane is the Tatami Galaxy of cinema.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

:aaa:

K. Flaps
Dec 7, 2012

by Athanatos
Shitizen Lame.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Evangelion is the Evangelion of anime.

Adbot