Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord

This honestly made me :stare: for a second.

Unless I'm pixel hunting, because clicking on an intercom (or, god forbid, an item in a toilet) takes laser-focus precision in more than a few cases, I'm almost always playing in third person. Largely because I don't want to play as me, don't want to think of the character as me, and would rather see who the character is if I'm feeling like pulling a game where I'm doing things by a strict set of guidelines (you don't steal vs. you always steal; you can't use this skill even if you're batting 100 in it, because it's technically not a skill this person has, but you maxed out the ones they do and have to dump points somewhere or the game gets mad at you, etc etc etc). If I'm just trudging through as some mush-faced rear end in a top hat that I never see (or never want to see, even though VATS will ultimately make me see), it breaks any sense of 'immersion' I might have.

It might just be me, but if I'm playing games like this FPS-style, I care a whole lot less about anything but finding a build that is as OP as possible. Maybe I'm really in the minority, I don't know!

But at least now I know why the third person animations look so loving stupid half the time.

Also why I'm never going back to consoles on these games, because god loving bless animation mods.

EDIT: VVVV God bless mods in general.

Old Boot fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Jul 12, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

You get to be flied around on a private vertibird

Well that's probably just a scripted sequence in a quest, I want actual vehicles you can control.

Old Boot posted:

This honestly made me :stare: for a second.

Unless I'm pixel hunting, because clicking on an intercom takes laser-focus precision in more than a few cases, I'm almost always playing in third person. Largely because I don't want to play as me, don't want to think of the character as me, and would rather see who the character is if I'm feeling like pulling a game where I'm doing things by a strict set of guidelines (you don't steal vs. you always steal; you can't use this skill even if you're batting 100 in it, because it's technically not a skill this person has, but you maxed out the ones they do and have to dump points somewhere or the game gets mad at you, etc etc etc). If I'm just trudging through as some mush-faced rear end in a top hat that I never see (or never want to see, even though VATS will ultimately make me see), it breaks any sense of 'immersion' I might have.

It might just be me, but if I'm playing games like this FPS-style, I care a whole lot less about anything but finding a build that is as OP as possible. Maybe I'm really in the minority, I don't know!

But at least now I know why the third person animations look so loving stupid half the time.

Also why I'm never going back to consoles on these games, because god loving bless animation mods.

Third person has always been crap in Bethesda games, only good for checking out how your character looks.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

marktheando posted:

Well that's probably just a scripted sequence in a quest, I want actual vehicles you can control.

You won't get it, Bethesda figured out level design was much easier when the player can't fly all the way back in Oblivian, when they took out the Levitation spell.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Cojawfee posted:

It's post apocalypse, that means that there's never civilization on that planet ever again.

If we are playing this game then I hope the new Obsidian spin-off will be about NCR 200 years later where civilization is re-built and the Big War is a distant memory. Ruins are gone, all radation is cured and pre-war tech has been all reverse engineered.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Bholder posted:

If we are playing this game then I hope the new Obsidian spin-off will be about NCR 200 years later where civilization is re-built and the Big War is a distant memory. Ruins are gone, all radation is cured and pre-war tech has been all reverse engineered.

But that's just the intro sequence, the NCR gets into a resource war with the Australian Empire for control of the irradiated ruins of China and ends up nuking the world again. Because war, war never changes....

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

marktheando posted:

There's a mod for New Vegas called "XRE Cars" which adds a bunch of drivable cars to the game. It's not perfect, but it's probably the closest these games will ever get to literally being Mad Max.

Edit: also how can anyone hate the .357 Magnum, it's literally a Colt SAA and I could watch that reload animation all day.

Acebuckeye13 fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Jul 12, 2015

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Bholder posted:

Once you get too far in the future it kind of stops being fallout. Like making Medieval Total Warfare and setting it in the first world war.

sout
Apr 24, 2014

I sort of liked the concept of a post-apocalypse where everything's basically on its way to dying and survival being futile, which of course has never been what Fallout is.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I've heard Nier's setting is basically like that.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Old Boot posted:

Unless I'm pixel hunting, because clicking on an intercom (or, god forbid, an item in a toilet) takes laser-focus precision in more than a few cases, I'm almost always playing in third person. Largely because I don't want to play as me, don't want to think of the character as me, and would rather see who the character is [...] Maybe I'm really in the minority, I don't know!

I think most people are able to play first-person games while understanding that they're not playing as themselves, a bit like how you can watch an Evil Dead movie without thinking the first-person camera segments are also literally you.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

cargohills posted:

I think most people are able to play first-person games while understanding that they're not playing as themselves, a bit like how you can watch an Evil Dead movie without thinking the first-person camera segments are also literally you.

Yet people whine how they don't want to be heterosexual.

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

Cars don't really fit into 3D Fallout games because the world is designed to be explorable on foot. They really don't want you to get into a car and drive past all the content by accident.

edit: that's not to say I wouldn't want a Fallout game that's designed from the ground-up to be explorable on a car. Like, a world that resembles Fallout 1 and 2 by its design: a number of points of interest separated by miles upon miles of desert. Who knows, maybe Fallout 4 mods will allow to create something like that now that the same memory limitations don't exist. I doubt it, though.

Minorkos fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Jul 12, 2015

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

They could make the areas bigger, but I guess that would make it like Borderlands where you get huge empty plains with nothing in them.

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord

cargohills posted:

You sailed straight over what I was saying and got asinine about it, but since I'm dead tired I'll give that a pass and explain: I'm willing to accept that I'm in the minority of players who see FPS as 'do whatever' mode. I pretty much said that outright. I stated what my preference was in terms of what I liked to see, but cool that you seem to think I was talking about literally me, rather than 'I'm just doing what I do because why the gently caress not, man, here's this videogame, I'm videogaming.'

Operative word: preference. Other operative phrase: maybe I'm really in the minority.

Jesus this thread is toxic.

EDIT: VVV Which is fine, and, astonishingly, I won't call you an idiot for saying so. Different playstyles, oh my gosh--

Old Boot fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Jul 12, 2015

sout
Apr 24, 2014

Old Boot posted:

You sailed straight over what I was saying and got asinine about it, but since I'm dead tired I'll give that a pass and explain: I'm willing to accept that I'm in the minority of players who see FPS as 'do whatever' mode. I pretty much said that outright. I stated what my preference was in terms of what I liked to see, but cool that you seem to think I was talking about literally me, rather than 'I'm just doing what I do because why the gently caress not, man, here's this videogame, I'm videogaming.'

Operative word: preference. Other operative phrase: maybe I'm really in the minority.

Jesus this thread is toxic.

I just prefer first person because I feel able to control it more easily :shrug:

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

I get where T-How is coming from. The games are meant to be an immersive, first person experience, but a lot of people enjoy the slight disconnect of third person. Also, you get to see how sweet you look in all your gear.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

I actually found it easier to be in third person for mid-long range combat in New Vegas.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Cojawfee posted:

Once you get too far in the future it kind of stops being fallout. Like making Medieval Total Warfare and setting it in the first world war.
I hope I can weld a gas mask to my Git Along Percheron Mk. VII.

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Keep your mind be open window everyday

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

all fallout 3 > nv posters have been demonstrated to either be fakeposting, have chronic brain damage, or wish the series didn't progress beyond mad max in which case there will soon be a game for them

Likewise, all the NV > 3 posters have demonstrated to either be trolling, being willfully ignorant to rampant bugs, or wanting to play a Fallout game that's not a Fallout game.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
There's a mod in Skyrim to replace horses with motorcycles so I figure something similar in Fallout wouldn't be that bad.

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

computer parts posted:

There's a mod in Skyrim to replace horses with motorcycles so I figure something similar in Fallout wouldn't be that bad.

There's also a Skyrim mod to give the horses realistic genitals. Is the motorcycle mod compatible with that one?

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

JackBadass posted:

Likewise, all the NV > 3 posters have demonstrated to either be trolling, being willfully ignorant to rampant bugs, or wanting to play a Fallout game that's not a Fallout game.

Literally nobody has said that Fallout New Vegas didn't have bugs. My first playthrough I lost two hours of progress due to a bug, and I'm pretty sure everyone had the fun experience of getting squashed through a door with Old Lady Gibson and her dogs. What has been said is that Obsidian managed to fix most of the more major issues through post-release patches, and vanilla New Vegas is much more stable now than Fallout 3. You're being willfully dense if you think that means people are being "willfully ignorant to rampant bugs."

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Wtf is "wanting to play a Fallout game that's not a Fallout game"

Grinning Goblin
Oct 11, 2004

2house2fly posted:

Well you see, as Fallout 3 is the original Fallout game, NV pretty much ignored a lot of the lore that it set up and thus making it not a real Fallout game.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
I would imagine he means people that go "I want a Fallout that is set 500 year after the war, in Brazil, and you manage a fleet of high performance raider cars, and it's also multiplayer". As people are fond of telling Bethesda, you don't have to slap the Fallout name on some game you want to make. You can just make that game and call it whatever you want. Like "I want a Fallout set in Russia!", that's Metro 2033. "War never changes" isn't really applicable for the Russians, whose default condition is "Nothing changes, life is misery, you'll die alone and nobody cares". You don't need to slap that poo poo on a setting where it doesn't really fit.

Broose
Oct 28, 2007
Can't one game be better at certain aspects than the other and vice versa? Can't we all just, get along?

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Broose posted:

Can't one game be better at certain aspects than the other and vice versa? Can't we all just, get along?
Apparently not because it's seemingly impossible to appreciate New Vegas as a game in any merit while most people concede that Fallout 3 has better dungeons, a reversion to the Mad Max society mostly everybody likes, and pavlovian feedback loops.

JackBadass posted:

Pictured: chronic brain damage. Upcoming words may be unreadable to subject.

I also posted that the console version of NV has amazing amounts of bugs that couldn't be fixed due to engine complications with limited tech that Obsidian couldn't handle, so you have one point there. Fallout 3 escaped it for the console versions by having a better codebase (that wasn't given to the PC version of Fallout 3, which is why PC FO3 still had Oblivion-specific bugs) and barely any quest flags. The PC version of NV though? Just fine with the caveat of specific Bethbryo-sanctioned PC builds just RNGing the gently caress out of the engine into unstability. If you have a problem with New Vegas on PC then you likely have a problem with Skyrim on PC as well and that's nothing Obsidian and probably Bethesda could have helped.

Also, Fallout 1 and 2 were Fallout games. Unless by that you mean:

Grinning Goblin posted:

Well you see, as Fallout 3 is the original Fallout game, NV pretty much ignored a lot of the lore that it set up and thus making it not a real Fallout game.
this but unironically. Which probably is the case.

Anime Schoolgirl fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Jul 12, 2015

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

Pictured: chronic brain damage. Upcoming words may be unreadable to subject.

I also posted that the console version of NV has amazing amounts of bugs that couldn't be fixed due to engine complications with limited tech that Obsidian couldn't handle, so you have one point there. Fallout 3 escaped it for the console versions by having a better codebase (that wasn't given to the PC version of Fallout 3, which is why PC FO3 still had Oblivion-specific bugs) and barely any quest flags. The PC version of NV though? Just fine with the caveat of specific Bethbryo-sanctioned PC builds just RNGing the gently caress out of the engine into unstability. If you have a problem with New Vegas on PC then you likely have a problem with Skyrim on PC as well and that's nothing Obsidian and probably Bethesda could have helped.

Also, Fallout 1 and 2 were Fallout games. Unless by that you mean:

See, the problem here is we're having two different discussions. You're talking about bugs in the context of assigning blame, while I'm talking about comparative quality of the two games themselves. I don't care if it was made by Bethesda, Obsidian, EA, Nintendo, Kraft Foods, Ford, or Kroger. When it comes down to it, both games have about the same amount of bugs and issues, so to praise one for being better than the other in that area is plain stupid, which is why I've stayed away from that argument for the most part. There's been quite a few here lately, however, who are quick to slam 3 for things like bugs, but then turn around and bow at Obsidian's feet for creating what they act like is the video game version of the second coming of Christ.

My stance has been and always will be that both games are an exercise in frustration with their bugs, and that the deciding factor comes from other areas, such as world design and atmosphere, which Fallout 3 clearly takes the cake. I will give credit to NV where credit is due, though, as it did a few things right. NV had better music, and the selection fit well with the local, and the gun system in NV was clearly the better of the two.

Also, I don't think I've ever mentioned Fallout 1 and 2 in this thread.

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

I don't think it would be weird if society hadn't progressed much in the 200 years. They have no resources and live in a world of giant monsters. Really, they should all be dead.

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Fooz posted:

I don't think it would be weird if society hadn't progressed much in the 200 years. They have no resources and live in a world of giant monsters. Really, they should all be dead.

Nonsense, they should already be back to our modern society after a week.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

JackBadass posted:

See, the problem here is we're having two different discussions. You're talking about bugs in the context of assigning blame, while I'm talking about comparative quality of the two games themselves. I don't care if it was made by Bethesda, Obsidian, EA, Nintendo, Kraft Foods, Ford, or Kroger. When it comes down to it, both games have about the same amount of bugs and issues, so to praise one for being better than the other in that area is plain stupid, which is why I've stayed away from that argument for the most part. There's been quite a few here lately, however, who are quick to slam 3 for things like bugs, but then turn around and bow at Obsidian's feet for creating what they act like is the video game version of the second coming of Christ.

My stance has been and always will be that both games are an exercise in frustration with their bugs, and that the deciding factor comes from other areas, such as world design and atmosphere, which Fallout 3 clearly takes the cake. I will give credit to NV where credit is due, though, as it did a few things right. NV had better music, and the selection fit well with the local, and the gun system in NV was clearly the better of the two.

Also, I don't think I've ever mentioned Fallout 1 and 2 in this thread.
Finally, salient points! I was worried you were going to go full MisterBibs for a second.

At least you concede that your deciding points are personal taste, but you don't seem to give a poo poo about QOL issues being addressed, which is really what the kind of people who mod continuously and wait for all DLCs to be packaged in a single $50 pack care about, ie. the main audience of Bethbryo games.

I think that aspect of product development is important, and the fact that Bethesda actually fixed some glaring engine bugs in Skyrim and learned about eventual long-term crash management actually makes things a bit more positive for me in regards to Fallout 4 which I think will be a better game than Fallout 3 in terms of raw enjoyment and whether it'd poo poo its pants on playing it for two hours. (I cannot determine whether the plot will be more or less stupid, but I kind of don't care because that's not what I play Bethesda developed games for, ever since Morrowind.)

Also I'm not sure where you're getting the "slobbering over Obsidian" part except for a couple of people who've posted all of five times in this thread or gimmick poster Rutibex, since most of us are actually pretty negative about certain other Obsidian projects. Alpha Protocol is one clear example.

Fallout 1 and 2, once you take out the nebulous "take over the world" plots, were about people finding out ways to make civilization work in a post-apocalyptic society, and Fallout 2 was about how they progressed from that point. New Vegas was a proper sequel to many in that it followed up on Fallout 2's theme of rebuilding society long after everything went to poo poo as well as implemented some Western themes to differentiate it from Fallout 3 (whether this was a Zenimax mandate or something isn't clear, but it worked out for most people). To these people, Fallout 3 seemed more like a game that should have been set at least the same time as Fallout 1, but was set after Fallout 2 due to some arbitrary reasons only Bethesda would know. That just activates a lot of "suspension of disbelief" red flags for people. If it was just NMA having a problem with this, this wouldn't be expressed in so many places.

To those who see Fallout as a linear series, Fallout 4 seems to be more on the right track as people actually are in livable conditions as much as they would probably be over 200 years after the war. There are at least two power bases vying for control on how to shape society if the apparent Brotherhood v. Institute conflict is indicative of anything.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Fooz posted:

If I can't be a chef who specializes in killing, cooking, and serving gourmet Deathclaw haunches, then Fallout 4 has failed on every level.

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

Finally, salient points! I was worried you were going to go full MisterBibs for a second.

At least you concede that your deciding points are personal taste, but you don't seem to give a poo poo about QOL issues being addressed, which is really what the kind of people who mod continuously and wait for all DLCs to be packaged in a single $50 pack care about, ie. the main audience of Bethbryo games.

I think that aspect of product development is important, and the fact that Bethesda actually fixed some glaring engine bugs in Skyrim and learned about eventual long-term crash management actually makes things a bit more positive for me in regards to Fallout 4 which I think will be a better game than Fallout 3 in terms of raw enjoyment and whether it'd poo poo its pants on playing it for two hours. (I cannot determine whether the plot will be more or less stupid, but I kind of don't care because that's not what I play Bethesda developed games for, ever since Morrowind.)

Also I'm not sure where you're getting the "slobbering over Obsidian" part except for a couple of people who've posted all of five times in this thread or gimmick poster Rutibex, since most of us are actually pretty negative about certain other Obsidian projects. Alpha Protocol is one clear example.

Fallout 1 and 2, once you take out the nebulous "take over the world" plots, were about people finding out ways to make civilization work in a post-apocalyptic society, and Fallout 2 was about how they progressed from that point. New Vegas was a proper sequel to many in that it followed up on Fallout 2's theme of rebuilding society long after everything went to poo poo as well as implemented some Western themes to differentiate it from Fallout 3 (whether this was a Zenimax mandate or something isn't clear, but it worked out for most people). To these people, Fallout 3 seemed more like a game that should have been set at least the same time as Fallout 1, but was set after Fallout 2 due to some arbitrary reasons only Bethesda would know. That just activates a lot of "suspension of disbelief" red flags for people. If it was just NMA having a problem with this, this wouldn't be expressed in so many places.

To those who see Fallout as a linear series, Fallout 4 seems to be more on the right track as people actually are in livable conditions as much as they would probably be over 200 years after the war. There are at least two power bases vying for control on how to shape society if the apparent Brotherhood v. Institute conflict is indicative of anything.

I mostly agree, which is why I'm not responding with a wall of text. Also I'm lazy.

Everybody has their personal tastes, but it's my opinion that my opinions are the most correct of anyone's, no matter the subject, and I don't understand why people don't realize that. Life is so much easier for everyone when they just agree with me, and follow up with a compliment about how handsome I am or how good I am at Frisbee or something.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

2house2fly posted:

Someone really liked Brotherhood of Steel I guess.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

New Vegas is a better game in my opinion, but I actually do think that Bethesda learned from Obsidian's stuff when they were developing Skyrim, and that they will make a better game that Fallout 3, which I think was good, but probably the weakest game they have developed. Somebody will quote the portions of my post which say "Bethesda" and "learned" or something, and say "Haha!" or "Bad news..." because the low-hanging fruit for sick burns on Bethesda is more fun for some people than laughing at the enjoyable Monster Brew experience of their chaotic, hilarious and, dare I say it, fun games.

Let's ride the vibrating shopping cart down the invisible walls on the hill together instead of complaining the the cart looks too similar to Liam Neeson's shopping cart, or that Mathew Perry would certainly never ride in it.

megalodong
Mar 11, 2008

JackBadass posted:

I mostly agree, which is why I'm not responding with a wall of text. Also I'm lazy.

Everybody has their personal tastes, but it's my opinion that my opinions are the most correct of anyone's, no matter the subject, and I don't understand why people don't realize that. Life is so much easier for everyone when they just agree with me, and follow up with a compliment about how handsome I am or how good I am at Frisbee or something.

[Medicine 50] I'm sorry... but it appears that you have a case of the AIDs

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

megalodong posted:

Your ability to throw a perfect Frisbee pass is only shadowed by your glorious head of hair.

Thanks, I am pretty great at being a thing to look at.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I only hope Fallout 4 completes the Monster Brew journey with a Tale of Three Wastelands.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

2house2fly posted:

Character creation in Fallout 1 was a screen full of stats and the tutorial was a rat cave you could run through in a minute.

I tried watching an LP of a guy who spent like two hours trying to kill the rats with the worst possible character setup. Do not underestimate the idiocy of the average player.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Bicyclops posted:

New Vegas is a better game in my opinion, but I actually do think that Bethesda learned from Obsidian's stuff when they were developing Skyrim, and that they will make a better game that Fallout 3, which I think was good, but probably the weakest game they have developed. Somebody will quote the portions of my post which say "Bethesda" and "learned" or something, and say "Haha!" or "Bad news..." because the low-hanging fruit for sick burns on Bethesda is more fun for some people than laughing at the enjoyable Monster Brew experience of their chaotic, hilarious and, dare I say it, fun games.

Let's ride the vibrating shopping cart down the invisible walls on the hill together instead of complaining the the cart looks too similar to Liam Neeson's shopping cart, or that Mathew Perry would certainly never ride in it.

What element of Skyrim amde you think that, because Skyrim was even more frustrating than FO3 in the lack of role-playing opportunities. You dislike the assassin guild? gently caress you, you can't do anything against them! You dislike the thief guid? The same deal, rear end in a top hat. You don't want to serve the numerous Daedric Lords? Go to hell and eat dick, you have no choice. Your character, the hero of Skyrim, the saviour of the nation, is a cultist mass murderer with ties to crimina organizations and black magic covens all over the country, and there's nothing you can do about that.

• Locked thread