Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Enos Cabell posted:

Put the fish and shrimp in a 5gal bucket 3/4 full of tank water with a lid. Grab a power inverter that you can run off a cig lighter, and use that to power an air pump with air stone or sponge filter, and a small heater. Drain the tank down to an inch or less of water, that should be good enough for your plants and snails.

I had been considering stopping by the LFS and putting the fish and shrimp in oxygenated bags. My concern about using the 5 gal was the betta going nuts on everyone else, or one of the larger cories hurting somebody.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Git Mah Belt Son
Apr 26, 2003

Happy Happy Gators

McStephenson posted:

So I went out to run an errand and

Man, I love how these fluval tanks look and really want to get one but I'm running out of places in my house to put aquariums. I recently set up my 2 year old daughter her own in her room, not because she showed any interest in it, but because I wanted to set another one up.

Maybe the kitchen. That's not a weird place for an aquarium, right? I already have one in my living room, dining room, and bedroom...

SapientCorvid
Jun 16, 2008

reading The Internet

Git Mah Belt Son posted:

Man, I love how these fluval tanks look and really want to get one but I'm running out of places in my house to put aquariums. I recently set up my 2 year old daughter her own in her room, not because she showed any interest in it, but because I wanted to set another one up.

Maybe the kitchen. That's not a weird place for an aquarium, right? I already have one in my living room, dining room, and bedroom...

God dude that's so weird why would you do that

The kitchen is a totally inappropriate place for a fish tank :11tea:

daggerdragon
Jan 22, 2006

My titan engine can kick your titan engine's ass.

Chichevache posted:

I had been considering stopping by the LFS and putting the fish and shrimp in oxygenated bags. My concern about using the 5 gal was the betta going nuts on everyone else, or one of the larger cories hurting somebody.

So put the shrimp in the 5 gallon bucket and the fish in bags and float them in the bucket. Win-win?

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf
This is my first freshwater aquarium. I used to have a couple saltwater reef tanks so I thought this would be a breeze. Finding balance is harder than I thought it would be. Finally think its coming around with just a little bit of thread algae left.

Since I already had the RO/DI filter I'm using that reminerlized with seachem equilibrium and alkalinity buffer, 7gh and 4kh. In the tank its stock filter with biomax and purigen, heater and co2 diffuser are in the pump chamber. Water top off is done automatically by a tom's aqua lifter pump with pure RO/DI. Doing EI dosing and weekly water changes. Using a pressurized co2 setup with parts I got from ebay.

Livestock is 2 male and 4 female celestial pearl danio, 1 amano shrimp, 2 nerite snails, and a some red cherry shrimp. The CPDs have been spawning but I haven't tried raising them. And some plants.

http://imgur.com/a/TDGUo

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

Looks great, the plants are fantastic so I guess co2 pays off. I've got the same tank bare at the moment with just a mess of Java moss and 20 guppy fry in it and yours manages to look tons bigger. The way you've laid the plants out disguises how narrow the tank is, did you have any trouble with getting it to look right? Or did you plan it and plant it and get it right the first time? When I had substrate and the beginnings of plants in mine before the guppy population explosion and the worm disaster, I couldn't get any kind of layout to feel right, even after doing some sketches beforehand as a guide. Your plants are scaled right, to my eye and maybe that's where I was going wrong. Wrong shaped plants, wrong sized hard scape, who knows. I found out recently that CPD are illegal to import here which is a shame, because again I think they are the right scale for that tank.

I don't want to use mine as a fry tank forever but I got pretty discouraged trying to make anything work.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf
Three weeks ago I changed the layout and replanted most of the plants. The first two pics are the original layout and then the bottom shots are where I put the tall plants in the back and flipped the driftwood around. Shots four and five are a week apart for an idea of the growth rate.

Where are you and why are CPD illegal?

McStephenson posted:

My tank is on the kitchen table.

r0ck0 fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Jul 12, 2015

SapientCorvid
Jun 16, 2008

reading The Internet

r0ck0 posted:

My tank is on the kitchen table.

it might be hard to see but my tank is on our kitchen counter, i guess the picture is kind of dark.

sarcastic post: failed. :doh:

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
I have a 29 gallon tank in the bathroom. Top that, bitches with your little Fluval edges.

For moving, are you driving the distance? How long should it take?

Git Mah Belt Son
Apr 26, 2003

Happy Happy Gators

Cowslips Warren posted:

I have a 29 gallon tank in the bathroom. Top that, bitches with your little Fluval edges.

I...uhh...I need a tank in my bathroom now. My bathroom is 15x18 (it was a bedroom the previous owners converted). I could totally put a 55 gallon in there. Sold.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:
I installed the 390 gallon 6 ft diameter stock tank in the yard today. Got it buried about 4 inches down and leveled. Tomorrow I'm going to be adding in the pebble base and the cinder blocks for the plants in the middle and strategically place pebbles in mounds around them.

Tuesday I'm going to the pond store to buy the lilies, the oxygenators and the bog grasses. Possibly a lotus as well. I also need to buy a decent sized fountain for the middle.

After it gets filled with water and plants go in I plan on moving the fish over on Thursday. I hope they like their new big home!

Then I plan to make small cemicircles around it from tree ring stones and plant tall grasses and flowers, DG around that and a few chairs and led spot lights shining up.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Errant Gin Monks posted:

I installed the 390 gallon 6 ft diameter stock tank in the yard today. Got it buried about 4 inches down and leveled. Tomorrow I'm going to be adding in the pebble base and the cinder blocks for the plants in the middle and strategically place pebbles in mounds around them.

Tuesday I'm going to the pond store to buy the lilies, the oxygenators and the bog grasses. Possibly a lotus as well. I also need to buy a decent sized fountain for the middle.

After it gets filled with water and plants go in I plan on moving the fish over on Thursday. I hope they like their new big home!

Then I plan to make small cemicircles around it from tree ring stones and plant tall grasses and flowers, DG around that and a few chairs and led spot lights shining up.

That sounds awesome, you need to share some pics! I wish I lived in a climate where it made sense to put in a pond.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Cowslips Warren posted:

29 gallons?!?! That toilet could suck down an infant!

I'm moving 300 miles and it should take 5-6 hours. I'm taking the tank up Monday, next week, and doing the rest of my move a few days later. No way I'm trying to deal with my pets and a move on the same day.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

McStephenson posted:

it might be hard to see but my tank is on our kitchen counter, i guess the picture is kind of dark.

sarcastic post: failed. :doh:

Gotta have the ingredients close at hand when you're cooking!

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

r0ck0 posted:

Where are you and why are CPD illegal?

I'm in Australia - CPD aren't illegal to own, and if anyone was breeding them here that would be fine. But they are illegal to import, according to the latest list here. If it isn't on the list you can't import it at all. The list has some weird requirements like only male fish can be imported for some species so even if we wanted to breed healthy fish locally we couldn't. That list doesn't cover quarantine and testing requirements either; there was a big petition going around last year trying to stop some changes in the requirements from going ahead, looks like we got it delayed for a bit though. TL;DR here is a quote of what they want to do to prevent gourami iridovirus from getting in to Australia:

quote:

Australia is the only country to require lethal testing for a virus for aquarium fish, says veterinarian Dr Robert Jones.

Batch testing is based on statistics. For example, if you want to import 20 fish, 19 will need to be killed and if they test negative, the remaining one can be imported.

For 100 fish to be imported, 43 to 67 will need to be killed. For 1,000 fish to be imported, 55 to 136 will need to be killed.

Initial estimates suggest each batch test, no matter what species of fish, will cost the wholesaler $2,000 to conduct, making fish four times as expensive for consumers, Dr Jones said.

This isn't yet in effect but it is still coming; some fish farmer in the 90s lost a heap of stock during a heatwave after he'd illegally used gouramis as feeder fish. The fish were temperate fish and very stressed due to the heat, the heat allowed the iridovirus to thrive where normally it couldn't survive, and it never happened again once those conditions we over. I don't know why 20 years later there is this backlash over it, it seems completely pointless especially since the disease is already in the country and hasn't really been a problem for 20 years.

There are very few actual pet fish breeders in Australia due to the market being too small to make it worthwhile. The only fish breeders I know of are people who have access to big outdoor concrete ponds, I think some of which used to be trout farms, which all seem to be in the tropical part of the country so the kinds of fish they sell are limited. They seem to approach it by throwing whatever in the pond, feeding every now and then and letting nature take its course. So as far as I know the only CPD in the country are those that got here before they were taken off the list and the only places that can sell them are those that have access to a breeding stock of their own. Most fish shops rely on imports though so if the quarantine testing goes through a lot of shops will be going out of business as prices will be too high for many hobbyists. Maybe it will cause a shake up in the way fish supply is done here and more effort will go into breeding healthy fish locally as it will finally be competitive vs importing but it will be too late by then and some fish just won't be available at all.

RE tank placement, my 30gal tank is on the kitchen side counter and takes up almost all the space and the "breakfast bar" thing that is attached that we never use is very convenient for holding tools and implements while I am cleaning the tanks. It's nice having some soothing company while doing things in the kitchen. A bit harder to get the tank laid out so it looks okay from both sides but really nice having the fish notice you and come over to see what you're doing.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Enos Cabell posted:

That sounds awesome, you need to share some pics! I wish I lived in a climate where it made sense to put in a pond.

Sure! It's kind of boring right now just an empty tank

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

McStephenson posted:

God dude that's so weird why would you do that

Fun fact of my old childhood home. We had one of those serving ports through the wall between kitchen and dining room. When we moved the dining room, the old room became the computer room with a sliding door onto the back deck. So my folks moved the 100 gallon tank over to sit in that comp room so the tank showed through the serving port into the kitchen.

Krataar
Sep 13, 2011

Drums in the deep

I haven't posted in awhile. About half the plants in my tank are dead because my lighting sucks. How do I improve the lights on a fluval edge? My grass has spread a little more and my shrimp have learned how to have fry that my tetras don't eat. I have many shrimp now. Suggestions for how to deal with many shrimp in a small tank? Another issue im running into is my grass keeps escaping the dirt and floating to the top. How do I prevent that?

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
I got a bit done today. I got the substrate in. I used a few inches of decomposed granite on the bottom. Then I placed the stones and the pump, filter box and fountain head inside and. Filled her up.

After that I ran the LED spotlights all along the inside edge pointing towards the middle. The water is still murky as all the sediment hasn't settled down yet but it should be good in a day or so. The light sensor works since they popped on a few minutes ago.

Tomorrow I head off to the pond store an hour away to grab some water lilies, oxenginators and some tall boy grasses to finish out the interior of the pond. Then I won't be able to do anything for a few days bu I hope to get the ornamental grasses in their beds this weekend around the base of the pond.

So far it's been cheaper than I expected. I'm about 500 into it. The tank itself was 270 and the pump (330 gph) lights and DG along with the filter box and heads were another 230. I figure another 200 in plants and stones and I'm done. Not bad for less than a grand.

Errant Gin Monks fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Jul 14, 2015

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Chichevache posted:

29 gallons?!?! That toilet could suck down an infant!

I'm moving 300 miles and it should take 5-6 hours. I'm taking the tank up Monday, next week, and doing the rest of my move a few days later. No way I'm trying to deal with my pets and a move on the same day.

Drain the tank entirely. Throw the fish in bags (get oxygen if you can from a pet store, otherwise use breather bags for all fish save labryinth ones or corys, bettas, fish that need access to open air) and into a cooler. They will be fine as long as they have AC. For the filter stuff, keep THAT in another bag or two and keep it wet. Keep some Prime on hand for any cycling issues. Is the water the same pH and the like where you are moving to?

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Cowslips Warren posted:

Drain the tank entirely. Throw the fish in bags (get oxygen if you can from a pet store, otherwise use breather bags for all fish save labryinth ones or corys, bettas, fish that need access to open air) and into a cooler. They will be fine as long as they have AC. For the filter stuff, keep THAT in another bag or two and keep it wet. Keep some Prime on hand for any cycling issues. Is the water the same pH and the like where you are moving to?

Yeah, the water should be the same. Thanks cowslips. I'd been concerned about my filter media in particular since I won't be on hand to watch my fish personally for a few days. Luckily I dramatically overfilter and I hardly have any fish in that 30 gallon.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
Plants in!!

There are two hardy lilies, an arc-en-ciel and a wanvisa. There is a blue iris in the front, a sagittaria to the left and a tiger water canna in the back inside the wooden bucket. Two big rear end anacharis are underwater with some clipping smushed down into the substrate all over just to see if they grow.

I added a water clarifying agent to reduce the turbidity and soon as it clears up I will be moving the fish over.

I hope they like their new digs.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.
drat, dude. Between this and your bike you are absolutely killing it on the builds. Got anything else in the works I should be following?

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Chichevache posted:

drat, dude. Between this and your bike you are absolutely killing it on the builds. Got anything else in the works I should be following?

I start two new projects this Saturday. Lol.

I am buying an old 1903 Kingsbury upright piano. I'm going to de tune the harp and cut the back out with the harp intact, then pull the guts and the original ivory keyboard.

The shell will be reworked into a bar to go over my wine fridge in my soon to be guest suite (my old four poster bed is going in as well as a sitting area with the bar).

The harp we are making into a headboard for the platform bed I am building for our bedroom and the ivory keys will be mounted on a nice piece of black walnut and hung over the piano bar as a found art piece.

At least that's the plan. I still have to finish roofing my deck and running the electrical and speaker cables to the outdoor speakers and lights as well as build the stairs and benches. I'm using a set of old cheap cymbals from my drum kit to make a cascade fountain for the deck.

After that I have to till the pathways in the backyard, lay the landscape timbers and fill it all with decomposed granite.

I have lots of work to do.

Edit: oh then I have to build the fire pit in the back and pour the concrete benches. I also need to finish the front yard but that's on hold until the backyard is done and the inside has been worked on.

Errant Gin Monks fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Jul 14, 2015

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.
:dogbutton:

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Anyone ever had loaches decide to go ballistic and start murdering off other fish? Because my yoyos basically went genocidal in my 75. Like I had a solid group (better than a dozen) of black ruby barbs and some Bolivian rams (half a dozen) that they just started hounding and hounding. Took hell getting all the loaches out and in the end I'm left with a 75 gallon tank with two(!) barbs and one farlowella. That's literally all that survived. :psyduck: I knew that loaches could sometimes get kinda boisterous, but this is above and beyond what I thought they'd do.

I've been trying to fish them all out of a while now and it turns out they're a real pain to get out of a tank full of vallisneria. Super frustrating because I basically had to watch them whittle away at their tankmates slowly but surely.

Little dickheads.

republicant
Apr 5, 2010
Oh god what is wrong with this diamond tetra? I just noticed that there's something wrong with its mouth and I don't believe it's always been that way as we would have noticed it before.

I'm going to quarantine him in a hospital tank. I have both Pimafix and Melafix on hand, would either of those be helpful? I've never had to deal with a fish disease before and really don't want to lose this little guy.

We've had him for about two weeks now and this is the first sign of anything being wrong. Nothing seems to be wrong with any of the other fish in the tank except my betta has a tiny little bump on one of his fins that matches his fin color.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

republicant posted:

Oh god what is wrong with this diamond tetra? I just noticed that there's something wrong with its mouth and I don't believe it's always been that way as we would have noticed it before.

I'm going to quarantine him in a hospital tank. I have both Pimafix and Melafix on hand, would either of those be helpful? I've never had to deal with a fish disease before and really don't want to lose this little guy.

We've had him for about two weeks now and this is the first sign of anything being wrong. Nothing seems to be wrong with any of the other fish in the tank except my betta has a tiny little bump on one of his fins that matches his fin color.

He's cool, just rename him Sam Elliott

But really I'm no expert but it looks like columnaris to my untrained eye.

Errant Gin Monks fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Jul 15, 2015

republicant
Apr 5, 2010
Here's a picture of him from the other angle, now in the hospital tank. Do you think that could be an injury? I do have some sharp decorations in the tank and the diamond tetras have a tendency to dart around the tank at full speed, and that's in the right place on his face for him to have collided with something.

My current plan of action is going to be to keep him isolated with stress coat added to his water, watch all the other fish carefully and see if anyone else gets sick or if this fish gets better or worse. I don't want to break out the Pimafix or Melafix just yet since I don't know whether it is bacterial or fungal or even an infection, but at least if I do have to treat him it won't destroy my tank cycle with anti-bacterial stuff.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

A couple of my beacon tetras looked a bit like this, they tend to injure their mouths through swimming into things or fighting. The second pic makes it look like an injury where skin has been lost, the danger of this is that it can become infected ie with columnaris or other aquarium bacteria if the fish is stressed or has a poor immune system for other reasons. Personally I don't think it looks infected yet, its not really bloody or furry looking. My tetras healed up over time and all I used was a gentle amount of non-iodised salt (big grainy sea salt so it doesn't have any weird additives for "flow") in the main tank and nothing else. It took weeks though! My plants and snails were not affected at the levels I used; can't recall off the top of my head but there is plenty of info out there on how to gently increase salt levels to a theraputic level. Disclaimer: It's possible I have salt tolerant plants and your mileage may vary, none of the fish in my community tank were salt sensitive. If you aren't sure you are better off doing this treatment in your hospital tank. I don't believe melafix and pimafix do anything at all apart from mess up labyrinth fish like bettas/gouramis. Stresscoat can't hurt I guess, the water will need conditioning after all but I'm not sold on the idea of aloe vera for fish. It's not going to sit on their wound in a nice layer like it would for a non-aquatic situation, and if it's magically somehow coating the fish, surely that means it would gunk up their gills too? Anyway not as bad as melafix as far as bad fish medicine I don't think.

Here's a link about columnaris which covers a lot of aspects of it and is a good starting point if columnaris infects your fish. I would say it's too early to judge just yet if this is merely an injury or if it has become infected. Isolation is a good idea but make sure the environment your fish is in is comfortable for the fish; same heating, aeration and water cleanliness that the fish is used to, maybe a plastic plant to hide behind if the fish is obviously stressing out. Watch it to see if the wound is getting worse before jumping down the path of antibiotics - and then you need to correctly identify what kind of bacteria has infected your fish in order to get the right kind of antibiotic - although having said that there are some broad spectrum treatments out there to cover all your bases. I think you are better off getting the medicine into the fish's system via medicated food if the fish is still eating. Dipping the fish into a treatment bath for a short time or soaking the fish long term in medicated water at a lower concentration can help if the fish isn't eating but it can stress the fish out even more and it is hard to judge whether enough medication will get into the wound to make any difference.

But yeah don't panic yet; you're better off watching, waiting, and starting with something simple like a salt treatment. I found one guy recommending the following concentration, you'd have to do some maths to get it into a weight that makes sense for the size of your hospital tank. And if you decide to do it, you dissolve your amount in water a bit at a time and add it very gradually, maybe over the course of a couple of days, to acclimate the fish.

quote:

The prolonged salt treatment lasts an indefinite period of time, perhaps even permanently. It involves adding salt to the pond water and maintaining that level of salinity for a matter of days, weeks, or months. This type of treatment is used to treat an underlying skin condition on a long-term basis after another type of treatment with salt or another chemical. The generally recommended dosage is 1.5 lbs of salt for every 100 gallons of water (a 0.18% solution).

Actually that jogs my memory, I think I had my tank up to about 2000ppm which is 2 parts per thousand, 0.2 parts per 100 = 0.2% so a little more than this guy recommended, for comparison sea water is about 3.5%. Kept it there for around 4 weeks then let it taper away naturally with water changes, and neither my tetras or rosy barbs seemed to mind much. A final note, I'm not an expert or even that experienced with fish; I've just had better results with slow salt treatment and patient monitoring than I ever did with aggressive hospital treatment and medicating of sick fish - I guessed wrong and the medicine I used didn't help and probably made things worse. Anyway keep us up to date with your poor tetra and don't rush into anything. If your fish is still eating and you don't see the wound get bigger in a week or two (take photos to make it easier to judge) then your fish has a very good chance of recovery.

Edited to add: I forgot to say I think one of the important things is trying to avoid stressing the injured/sick fish as much as possible. You can pour all the medicine in the world on to a fish but it's still up to the fish itself to heal even after all the bacteria is dead. To do so, it still needs good quality food and good quality water of the correct temperature and aeration.

Stoca Zola fucked around with this message at 09:37 on Jul 15, 2015

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!
I have a 45 tall, planted with lots of hiding spaces. Current inhabitants are 9 neon tetras, 3 bleeding heart tetras, 3 albino cories, and a siamese algae eater (Crossocheilus oblongus). I recently went on vacation for two days and two fish jumped the tank...in search of food I guess?

Anyway, none of these fish seem to like to feed from the surface. The flake just floats there for hours. Would it be OK to add in a betta to add some interest to the upper layer of water, and to get rid off the floating food? One of the fish who suicided was a female betta, and she did fine. But, I really want to add a male for prettiness. I had one with guppies before, and it did not go well.

Pistoph
Jul 4, 2014

The Dregs posted:

I have a 45 tall, planted with lots of hiding spaces. Current inhabitants are 9 neon tetras, 3 bleeding heart tetras, 3 albino cories, and a siamese algae eater (Crossocheilus oblongus). I recently went on vacation for two days and two fish jumped the tank...in search of food I guess?

Anyway, none of these fish seem to like to feed from the surface. The flake just floats there for hours. Would it be OK to add in a betta to add some interest to the upper layer of water, and to get rid off the floating food? One of the fish who suicided was a female betta, and she did fine. But, I really want to add a male for prettiness. I had one with guppies before, and it did not go well.

From what I've read, you might have more concerns of aggression from the tetras to the betta rather than the other way around. The tetras are going to be fast enough to get away from your betta even if he is aggressive. It's also positive that you'd be adding him to an established tank so he doesn't feel like there are fish invading his territory. But certain types of tetras can be really bad fin nippers. I doubt the neons would be a problem, but I'd do some research on the bleeding hearts just in case.

If the betta doesn't work out, maybe look into gourami? They're top dwellers too and a lot less aggressive than bettas, so you could have a pair. And they're pretty!

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Shakenbaker posted:

Anyone ever had loaches decide to go ballistic and start murdering off other fish? Because my yoyos basically went genocidal in my 75. Like I had a solid group (better than a dozen) of black ruby barbs and some Bolivian rams (half a dozen) that they just started hounding and hounding. Took hell getting all the loaches out and in the end I'm left with a 75 gallon tank with two(!) barbs and one farlowella. That's literally all that survived. :psyduck: I knew that loaches could sometimes get kinda boisterous, but this is above and beyond what I thought they'd do.

I've been trying to fish them all out of a while now and it turns out they're a real pain to get out of a tank full of vallisneria. Super frustrating because I basically had to watch them whittle away at their tankmates slowly but surely.

Little dickheads.

I used to have a group of zebra loaches in a tank with 10 or so sterbai cories. They were fine together for a long time, but eventually the loaches decided that cory cat eyes were a delicacy. In the course of a few days, half the cories turned up dead and the others all had 1 or 0 eyes left.

expensive jeans
Jun 20, 2003

Same here, I had four yoyos with a bunch of cories until I noticed a few of them were one-eyed. The cories also kept getting red splotches which I thought was due to ammonia, but maybe the yoyos were just being bitey assholes? I ended up moving all the cories into a separate tank and put guppies in with the loaches. Now they can go after the guppy fry if they get THE HUNGER again.

Mmmm, eyeballs! :getin:

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
So the water treatment seems to be working and the pond is clear enough to see the bottom, still slightly hazy but much better. I put in another round of the pond clear and will see what it looks like tomorrow. If it looks good the fish will go in and begin to gently caress up their new home.

I had to replace the fountain head with the trumpet module because the wind was blowing the water into the lily pads, which I understand they hate, so it's much smaller of a spread now. Hopefully it averages enough for the fish, I assume it will while they are so tiny.

I have 3 cinder blocks in here for hiding spots for them as well as all the plants so there seems to be plenty of places to hide. I need to add a small stone ledge in there since there are constantly birds hopping around the rim trying to reach the water and this will be the beehives water source next year when they go in so there will need to be a place for insects and birds to perch but out of reach of cats and possums.

All in all I'm pretty happy. I'm looking forward to what it will look like when everything grows in and fills it up.

I finally got a photo of the fancies

This will probably be the last time I see them in shallow water!

Errant Gin Monks fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Jul 15, 2015

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Enos Cabell posted:

I used to have a group of zebra loaches in a tank with 10 or so sterbai cories. They were fine together for a long time, but eventually the loaches decided that cory cat eyes were a delicacy. In the course of a few days, half the cories turned up dead and the others all had 1 or 0 eyes left.

expensive jeans posted:

Same here, I had four yoyos with a bunch of cories until I noticed a few of them were one-eyed. The cories also kept getting red splotches which I thought was due to ammonia, but maybe the yoyos were just being bitey assholes? I ended up moving all the cories into a separate tank and put guppies in with the loaches. Now they can go after the guppy fry if they get THE HUNGER again.

Mmmm, eyeballs! :getin:

Well at least I'm not the only one, so there's that. The people at one aquarium shop thought I was nuts when I told them what had happened. Lesson learned, though. If I ever keep loaches again they're going in with like...mid sized SA cichlids. My good buddy Ted the electric blue acara would show 'em what's what.

Unrelated, but the other good aquarium shop near me has a used six foot 125 for sale for like $350, stand and light included. One day...

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Errant Gin Monks posted:

All in all I'm pretty happy. I'm looking forward to what it will look like when everything grows in and fills it up.

I finally got a photo of the fancies

This will probably be the last time I see them in shallow water!

Looks great!

One of my rams has developed some interesting coloration.

We've started calling him Braveheart naturally.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Even dwarf loaches can be jerks. They chewed up the fins of their tankmates until all my cories became upper tank dwellers. :v:

Pistoph
Jul 4, 2014

Enos Cabell posted:

Looks great!

One of my rams has developed some interesting coloration.

We've started calling him Braveheart naturally.

That's kickin' rad! Alternatively, Harvey Dent would work, too!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
The goldfish are in the big pond. Temp is holding steady at about 78. They seem to be perfectly happy. Anything else I need to do to keep the water right in this thing?

It's set up with a 330 gph pump inside a filter box with two sizes of mechanical filters and some bio ball things. I have the 3 pots of anacharis and some grass clumps as oxygenators and the bog plants and lilies. The pump head is set up as a small trumpet so it's flowing pretty good and moving a good amount of water through it and into the air.

What's my next step?