Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Steiner, a thief with the theater troupe Steiner, conspires with his allies Steiner, Steiner, Steiner, and Steiner to kidnap Princess Steiner. Meanwhile, a young black mage named Steiner collides with a rat kid named Steiner and the two work together to sneak into the castle to see the play, I Want To Be Your Steiner.

FFIX definitive edition.

Heh, there was an LP like that on a private forum I frequent. The result was naturally hilarious.

(late game screenshot, but no spoilers that I'm aware of)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

The "..." at the end is Steiner trying to remember how many Steiners he mentioned so he wouldn't forget any or say any of them a second time.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

TheKingofSprings posted:

I just started reading this LP and I'm posting from a few pages back right now but if they ever gave IX a full cast Steiner should be voiced by Patrick Warburton and nobody else

Personally I favour whoever it is that plays Captain Qwark in Ratchet & Clank, though it may be because of their similar jawlines.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
My vacation's over, so updates are gonna slow down to two or three times a week now. Hope to keep a decent pace for this one at least.

e: Also I'm taking today off from updating because why not. Should have an update tomorrow though.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

TheKingofSprings posted:

I just started reading this LP and I'm posting from a few pages back right now but if they ever gave IX a full cast Steiner should be voiced by Patrick Warburton and nobody else

That would be awesome. I also want him to become the new voice of Gaston.

mkwong98
Feb 8, 2013
Are there any big changes between the Japanese version and the English version of this game? Anything lost in the translation?

BTW Mega64, do you have any plan to finish your Harvest Moon LP?

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.

mkwong98 posted:

Seconding this. I was really enjoying that one.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

mkwong98 posted:

Which one? :v:

Probably not for either of them, but I might always revisit them at some point. Depends what I feel like LPing after I finish this game.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

We've got a chance to stock up on some basic items before we head out.

We can also do some Mognet to get a new letter.

Ruby sounds like a nice girl! Kupo!

Yeah, that's why all of Tantalus forgot her and don't even notice she's missing.

Time to rescue the princess. Let's check out the other enemies around here.

This is a Fang, another underwhelming starter enemy that dies easily.

Steiner and Vivi can wreck anything at this point, and the dungeon is short enough and Vivi has a large enough MP pool to keep it up. I end up having Zidane pretty much exclusively Steal because why not.

With the Iron Sword and Beast Killer, Steiner just did over triple this thing's HP in damage.

He may be an oblivious goofball, but Steiner can loving wreck some god drat poo poo.

And dammit, he knows it.

Back at the screen where we fought Soul Cage twice, we've got another ATE available. Hopefully you'll recognize the following music!

:siren: :siren:

Violinist: Yeah, let our music do the fighting against those monsters!
Cymbalist: This oughta boost morale.
Drummer: This is great!
Trumpeter: Brrum, brrrum, brrrruuum!

I'm gonna go take a look around. Stay on your toes. We'll be leaving soon.

A nice little scene featuring the band, none of whom are important enough to get anything close to resembling pictures. I don't even really know what they look like, or if they even pop up again later. Oh well.

Meanwhile, Steiner and Vivi are murdering the wildlife.

This is a Dendrobium, and by far the nastiest regular encounter here.

It has a party-wide attack that can inflict blind. Blind reduces hit rate by 50%, which is pretty bad for Steiner.

Time to try out Magic Sword, since it doesn't care about crap like Blind or Protect.

Magic Sword spells add a base attack and course give that element as well. Dendrobium happens to be weak to Fire, so Steiner ends up delivering nearly 400 damage to this guy at a point in the game where 100 from Zidane or Vivi is considered impressive.

The only problems with Magic Sword is that it requires Vivi in the party (which is not a bad thing since Vivi can kick some serious rear end himself), both characters have to be in fighting condition, and Sword Magic takes from Steiner's horribly small MP pool, meaning it's something you really use for bosses. But that's fine since Steiner's regular attacks are still overkill for this stage of the game.

After a couple of screens we get a breather.

And a mandatory ATE.

FOREST NOISES

Yeah, don't worry. We'll be outta here soon, too.

Alright. I'll see you later.
I'm countin' on you!

This is a nice place to rest. Not a bad grinding spot if we weren't already way overpowered for this stage of the game. Of course, a huge part of that is stealing stuff early, otherwise the difficulty balance would be more finely-tuned.

This is the moogle we have a letter for. So let's deliver it!

A letter from Kupo? Thanks for the delivery! Kupo!

Hmm? Princess Garnet? Didn't she just...? Oh, never mind. Kupo.

After that, Monty also gets a letter from Stiltzkin.

A cold place... Oh, I know where he is! Kupo! There must be something strange going on.

Monty doesn't need us to deliver anything, so that's it for Mognet for now.

As we get closer to the boss, the game slides over to show off this mysterious plant.

So, maybe you should heal up.

We're about to fight our first real boss, and that means the first time we'll get to hear the boss music!

So, this is the master.
Princess!!!

Alexandria would be disgraced if a mere bandit should rescue the princess.
You think you can handle him on your own?

This is the Plant Brain.

As usual, first order of business is to steal from it. Due to its large HP pool of 916, Steiner and Vivi can get started on the killing.

Not that they need to put much effort into it.

It also has that Pollen move and uses it to blind Vivi and Steiner. Vivi's no biggie, but Steiner's kinda stuck with Magic Sword now. Or I guess I could use Eyedrops but I might need them later.

I'm trying to stall a bit of time so Zidane can steal. Focus boosts Vivi's magic stat by 125%. This can be done multiple times until Vivi's at 99 Magic. I could do sick damage that could one-shot this boss if I really wanted to. Maybe next time.

So, those Silk Shirts and that Rubber Helm that can reduce thunder damage? Those are actually handy for this fight!

Because if you don't have them then this hurts. Vivi's the only one protected for now.

And here's Vivi doing some solid damage.

Zidane's actually the weakest member of the party, and he's no slouch either! Remember, even he can one-shot the Goblins and Fangs!

This guy also has physical attacks, but they're nothing to write home about.

Finally I get what I'm after. The Iron Helm teaches Steiner Bright Eyes, which gives Blind immunity, and Level Up, which boosts EXP gains. Both very useful abilities for him.

I actually let Zidane get knocked out because this triggers another event.

Step aside. I'll take care of this.

Uh, I think we got this.

I even revive Zidane to get the end-of-battle rewards.

But sure Blank, you can land the killing blow and pretend to be a hero.

You smug motherfucker.

FOREST NOISES

Zidane, give her the stuff.

Princess, please try to drink all of it.
Is she gonna be okay?

Sheez! We're gonna be surrounded!
Let's get out of here!
GO!

Blank's along for the ride right now. Not a bad opportunity to steal his stuff.

Along the way, there's these Plant Spiders that are chasing us.

They're not much of an issue.

They can cast Thunder as well, but it's not as nasty as the Brain's.

Something's wrong...
What?
The entire forest is coming after us.

And from here we switch to FMV mode.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6XxhU-GaZ8

As the Plant Spiders give chase, suddenly everything behind them turns to stone.

So, you know how Zidane subtly hinted he was going to play the hero and sacrifice himself for the good of the others?

Yeah, Blank's a dick like that.

You see, there's another part to Zidane. He's fiercely loyal and always willing to help others. So having a close friend sacrifice himself does not sit well with Zidane.

Of course, Zidane's also not an idiot and takes advantage of the second life given to him.

He even takes the time to make a wicked badass leap from danger.

Unfortunately, that's it for Blank.

SILENCE

-----

FIRE SOUNDS

Have you nothing to say, you filth!?

P-Princess!!!

...How did I survive...? You brought me here?
It is my sworn duty to protect you at any cost.
What are you talking about? It was Vivi's magic and my dagger that got you out of there, Princess.
I thank you both.

And how dare you claim that you have rescued her!?

What a coincidence, eh? We went to snatch her, and she wanted to be snatched.
Impossible!
It's true.
So what do you say, Rusty? Friends? Come on, let's just enjoy this camping trip while it lasts.

The vicious monsters it spawns! The abnormalities it stirs in the mind and body! Princess, we must leave this dangerous place at once.
You've gotta be kidding. She hasn't even fully recovered yet.
Silence! Who asked for your opinion!?

We're standing in a valley surrounded by tall cliffs. And last I heard, North Gate and South Gate were sealed off.

I think we should rest here for now.

...Very well. Until the princess recovers, I will guard this place with my life.
Sounds good to me.

-----

SILENCE

Good...thanks to that medicine you gave me. Could this be...?

Vivi told me that we were able to escape because of your friend.
...His name is Blank.
We must go help him.
We can't do anything for him right now.
But...I can't-

I love how something like getting petrified is no big deal in this world. "Oh, my friend turned to stone. Oh well, no biggie, I'll cure him later." I mean, this game also has the petrification status effect and Gold Needles or Soft or whatever to cure it, but as you may expect this particular case takes a wee bit more than that.

According to the map that Blank gave me, there's a cavern to the south of us. Maybe we can get above the Mist through that cavern.

-----

I'm impressed, kupo! First time I've seen anyone escape from Evil Forest. You all must be strong, kupo! But don't get cocky, kupo. Lots of stronger monsters ahead.

You're gonna love this lecture.

This is a tutorial of sorts for various other things we haven't really gotten to yet. An overview on battles, learning abilities, Trance, Moogles, and some UI stuff.

This is the Moogle that gives help on stuff in the menu, by the way.

I'm gonna skip all this because I have covered or will cover it as I go.

SILENCE

With this flute, you can call us anywhere in the world, kupo. Press [SQUARE] to play it.

Thank you.

Who goes there!?
Your friends already left, kupo.

Next time, we finally hit the overworld.

Mega64 fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Jul 14, 2015

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Aw, boss sent Blank after us. Looks like he needed to come, too.

Zidane's reaction... makes me wonder how many members of Tantalus have gone on missions and not come back.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

The nice thing about Focus is that the damage formula is very simple, and there aren't any weird factors relating strength/intelligence to damage. It's just (Attack - Defense) * Intelligence * Modifiers. A 25% boost to intelligence means a 25% boost to damage.

Krumbsthumbs
Oct 23, 2010

2nd Place.
1st Loser.
I keep wondering why you aren't using the Broadsword to learn Beast Killer but you have that really useful Moonstone. Usually the Beat Killer makes up for the difference in damage, but having both this early is putting out some impressive damage.

That first real boss fight is *rough*. Of course, even a level this early on makes a huge difference.

biscuits and crazy
Oct 10, 2012
Mogster is the best Tutorial system.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Enjoying the LP so far; I only ever played through this one once and it just never really clicked with me. (Also count me among those who got burned by the Brady Games scam guide.) That said, it did have its moments, and there were characters who I genuinely liked, especially Vivi. As for Steiner... I didn't much care for him at the start of the game. But he eventually grew on me. Pretty sure my end game party was him, Vivi, Garnet and a character we haven't met yet.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Ilyich posted:

I love Qu's Marsh music.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Blank! :cry:

The game makes such a good effort at making that moment meaningful. In just a few scenes the writers really managed to highlight how close Zidane was to Blank in particular. He also acted as the player's guide both in gameplay tips and directing the player to their next plot point so taking that away adds to the impact. It really marks the moment where the start finishes and we move into the game proper.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Ilyich posted:

The Ask-the-Moogle button is in-universe canon.

BioMe
Aug 9, 2012

Welp, Garnet's out cold. Kidnappings: 2, knock outs: 2.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
This game is full of reference to older Final Fantasy games. In this update, the song the band was playing was from FFVII.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

BioMe posted:

Welp, Garnet's out cold. Kidnappings: 2, knock outs: 2.

Should we start doing shots?

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Man, Blank has one hell of an arm, to toss the map that far.

Mega64 posted:

[steiner[ And how dare you claim that you have rescued her!?

Missing a Steiner portrait here.

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

Courage, my friends; 'tis not too late to build a better world.
Haha. This is pretty much my endgame party right here. It's well balanced, and would even work out in a D&D game!

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Ruby always struck me as someone who joined Tantalus because of the theater part of it. She doesn't mind the thieving, but that was never her main goal.

And Blank is such a straight up bro. He'll argue with you all day, but when the chips are down he's got your back no matter what. I remember reading a story on fanfiction.net way back when that was based around "What if Zidane was petrified in Evil Forest instead of Blank?". I enjoyed it. But that was a long time ago. I'd have to track it down again to see if it was actually worth recommending.

ModeWondershot
Dec 30, 2014

Portu-geezer
Thing about these FMVs is that while they may show their age at times, they were some of the best for their time period, hence why I kept multiple save files as a kid so I could go back and re-watch them if I wanted to.

Thanks for diligently updating for us, Mega64. Looking forward to more great commentary!

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Kheldarn posted:

Missing a Steiner portrait here.

Fixed, thanks!

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

David Corbett posted:

Haha. This is pretty much my endgame party right here. It's well balanced, and would even work out in a D&D game!
I think its most people's, actually, with minor variations.

Dastardly
Jun 14, 2011

Fresh outta hecks.
The beauty of IX is that you can go with any party you want really and still do everything the game has to offer.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

IX is such an easy game, overall, that the best thing to do is just stick with whoever you like best.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Dastardly posted:

The beauty of IX is that you can go with any party you want really and still do everything the game has to offer.

It's like Chrono Trigger!

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

RareAcumen posted:

It's like Chrono Trigger!

:razz:

Even though you can use mostly anyone and be A-OK, keeping Vivi and Steiner together is definitely one of the biggest ways to gently caress over anything in your path.

mushroom_spore
May 9, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Leavemywife posted:

Even though you can use mostly anyone and be A-OK, keeping Vivi and Steiner together is definitely one of the biggest ways to gently caress over anything in your path.

Also one of the most :3:.

Master Vivi. :kimchi:

Metaligatr
Mar 10, 2013

Khajit was up all night to get lucky.

mushroom_spore posted:

Also one of the most :3:.

Master Vivi. :kimchi:

Now if only fandom did anything with that adorable friendship instead of endless "my self-insert got stuck into the game and sprouted wings and it turns out I was Zidane's long-lost cousin all along even though it makes no sense for a variety of reasons" stories :sigh:
Most of the fanworks for this game are a trainwreck and yet I can't look away.

zfleeman
Mar 12, 2014

I wonder how you spell Tabasco.
RIP Blank. I always thought your design was kinda cool.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

D&D 3.5 Book of Erotic Fantasy

MonsieurChoc posted:

This game is full of reference to older Final Fantasy games. In this update, the song the band was playing was from FFVII.

There's another 7 reference late into this disc. It's completely missable and not important at all.

FactsAreUseless posted:

I think its most people's, actually, with minor variations.

Actually only half of my final party is in play right now.

TravelLog
Jul 22, 2013

He's a mean one, Mr. Roy.

Mega64 posted:

Which one? :v:

Probably not for either of them, but I might always revisit them at some point. Depends what I feel like LPing after I finish this game.

I'd love to see an FFX HD screenshot LP using the Expert Sphere Grid.

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

Krumbsthumbs posted:

I keep wondering why you aren't using the Broadsword to learn Beast Killer but you have that really useful Moonstone. Usually the Beat Killer makes up for the difference in damage, but having both this early is putting out some impressive damage.

That first real boss fight is *rough*. Of course, even a level this early on makes a huge difference.

The first few boss fights really are some of the hardest. It gets somewhat easier later into the game but for the first boss Plant Brain is much more of a challenge than Ifrit or the Scorpion Tank were.

Remember how the Silk Shirt makes you weak to fire? The next boss remembers.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I think the joke there is that Silk is highly flammable.

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

BioEnchanted posted:

I think the joke there is that Silk is highly flammable.

Just saying that maybe 1 point in defense might not be worth being set on fire.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Manic_Misanthrope posted:

Just saying that maybe 1 point in defense might not be worth being set on fire.

Pretty much yeah. Though interestingly, unlike a lot of other games in the series, hitting an elemental weakness doesn't ignore defense, it just multiplies final damage by 1.5. So if you've got 14 magic defense and are weak to fire, and you get hit by a fire spell (14 attack), you still take 0 damage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

Metaligatr posted:

Now if only fandom did anything with that adorable friendship

Have you seen what fandom does with adorable friendships? I'm content with Vivi and Steiner being off in the corner playing cards while the emotional 14-year-olds ruin Zidane.

• Locked thread