Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

I got 25 rods of each type. Think that'll be enough to last me until world 3?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Nihilarian posted:

I got 25 rods of each type. Think that'll be enough to last me until world 3?
I bought 10 of each and then broke exactly zero. I think it's completely superfluous to kill bosses in one break, when three people spamming boosted -aras can do the same if you hit a weakness. Unless you're doing a super solo extra challenge, I personally fail to see the point of rod breaking.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.
Wait, if I keep my whole team loaded with their Reflect Rings, I can't learn Lv. 3 Flare from Exdeath. I'm having a crisis of efficiency. :derp:

I suppose the best mix would be to put Reflect Rings on everyone but the Level 27 Blue Mage. Sure, that means I can't do the whole-team Reflect bounce with my Black Mage without scorching the Blue to boot, but Exdeath will still be hitting himself like 3/8 of the time in phase 2.

EDIT: Wait, I have Flame Rings from those Red Dragons too! A group Firaga will heal the Blue while the rest bounce over to Exdeath! BWA HA HA HA HA HA!

Bufuman fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Jul 12, 2015

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

One down. Whew

The only way I could get float on my chartacters was to confuse the Gaelicats at Mountain Pass.

edit:
Two:

I have a feeling that Exdeath is going to be much harder for me than these two.

Sephiroth_IRA fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Jul 12, 2015

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Just started my second run for chaos. Blue Mage, Beast Master, and Beast Master so far. Could be worse, but I'd have liked a different double job.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.
Hmm, who gets my Chicken Knife here, the Thief with !Mug so that Thief can actually contribute to damage while the Ninja relies on other weapons, or the Ninja with a Twin Lance in the first slot while the Thief runs !Flee or !Blue?

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Bufuman posted:

Hmm, who gets my Chicken Knife here, the Thief with !Mug so that Thief can actually contribute to damage while the Ninja relies on other weapons, or the Ninja with a Twin Lance in the first slot while the Thief runs !Flee or !Blue?
Definitely Ninja, let the Thief !Throw poo poo.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.

Simply Simon posted:

Definitely Ninja, let the Thief !Throw poo poo.

Hold on, I also have Black Mage (and Blue Mage). So if I'm going to use one of the two physical classes as an attacker and the other as a Thrower, wouldn't the best way to run that be to slap !Black on my Ninja for boosted Throw damage while the Thief runs Dual-Wield and Twin Lance + Chicken Knife?

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Bufuman posted:

Hold on, I also have Black Mage (and Blue Mage). So if I'm going to use one of the two physical classes as an attacker and the other as a Thrower, wouldn't the best way to run that be to slap !Black on my Ninja for boosted Throw damage while the Thief runs Dual-Wield and Twin Lance + Chicken Knife?

You could, but the damage from the Thief will be about 70% of that of the Ninja:

quote:

[15:05:04] <~Kyrosiris> .mcalc 35 25 chicken 40
[15:05:05] <@CarbyBot> At level 35 with 25 Strength and 40 Agility, your Chicken Knife M is 18. To reach the next M, you need to reach level 36 for Strength or 36 for Agility.
[15:05:11] <~Kyrosiris> .mcalc 35 25 physical
[15:05:11] <@CarbyBot> At level 35 with 25 Strength, your physical M is 8. To reach the next M, you need to reach level 36.
[15:05:19] <~Kyrosiris> .mcalc 35 39 chicken 38
[15:05:19] <@CarbyBot> At level 35 with 39 Strength and 38 Agility, your Chicken Knife M is 22. To reach the next M, you need to reach level 37 for Strength or 38 for Agility.
[15:05:23] <~Kyrosiris> .mcalc 35 39 physical
[15:05:23] <@CarbyBot> At level 35 with 39 Strength, your physical M is 12. To reach the next M, you need to reach level 37.

First two are the Thief with CK/TL, second two are the Ninja.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Bufuman posted:

I was thinking endgame boss terms, when Scrolls stop being useful altogether (even boosted). Then again, maybe against stuff like Necrophobe's Barriers...

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.

Kyrosiris posted:

You could, but the damage from the Thief will be about 70% of that of the Ninja:

First two are the Thief with CK/TL, second two are the Ninja.

Ninja Knifing it is. Only problem is that means no one uses the Sasuke's Katana. Ah well.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

What's the difference in damage between a Fuma Shuriken thrown by a thief and one thrown by a ninja?

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.
OK, now I'm wondering if it's worth it going for Flare from the tower, when I've got boosted elemental damage at my disposal.

...Wait, I'm going to need that Wonder Wand to berserk Shinryu. So I guess I'm going anyway. On the plus side, I can grab Mind Blast from Wendigo.

And speaking of superbosses, is Omega possible with Black/Blue/Thief/Ninja? I've seen a lot of people beating it with Ninja looking like the only potential damage machine, plus I could always run Reflect Rings + Thundaga.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Nihilarian posted:

What's the difference in damage between a Fuma Shuriken thrown by a thief and one thrown by a ninja?

Throwing weapons and the CK use the exact same formula, so it'd be Ms of 18 vs 22 (with a Fuma Shuriken, 4212 versus 5148).

Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

In lieu of meaningful text, I'm just going to mention I've been exploding all day and now it hurts to breathe, so I'm sure you all understand.

Bufuman posted:

OK, now I'm wondering if it's worth it going for Flare from the tower, when I've got boosted elemental damage at my disposal.

...Wait, I'm going to need that Wonder Wand to berserk Shinryu. So I guess I'm going anyway. On the plus side, I can grab Mind Blast from Wendigo.

And speaking of superbosses, is Omega possible with Black/Blue/Thief/Ninja? I've seen a lot of people beating it with Ninja looking like the only potential damage machine, plus I could always run Reflect Rings + Thundaga.

!Blue counts as magic and Omniscient is weak to Wind, so Fork Tower should be a breeze.

:rimshot:

Tobacco Grower
Jun 12, 2005
Ignorance is my power!
My first run this year was also my first berserker risk fiesta. That chaos/risk run Got Blue Mage, Berzerker, Berzerker, and Dancer. Blue Mage (of course) made it a pretty trivially easy run. With mighty guard and equip ribbons, Neo Exdeath couldn't do anything to kill off this team. Omega got skipped, but Shinryu was taken down easily enough thanks to the wonder wand. After berserking him, I switched over to the main gauche. That, in conjunction with the aegis and mirage vest, meant Shinryu never ended up hitting the blue mage. I didn't even need to abuse the mirage vest glitch. All I had to do was chuck phoenix downs at the dancer and berzerkers until they finally killed it.

Just finished up my second run. Chaos mode was good to me: got Summoner, Ninja, Beastmaster and Ranger. Ordinarily, I use the magic lamp to get rid of the back part of Neo Exdeath. However, I figured that summoning Odin would have the same effect. I assume it does not, since it always did Gungnir and never did Zansetsuken. Even if you have a summoner: always get the magic lamp, people!

Didn't really matter though. That team had no problem blitzing down the Almagest portion in a combination of released dragon aevises, fuma shurikens, and bahamuts. The rest of the pieces died with plenty of rapid fires and summons. Of course, Omega and Shinryu also didn't stand a chance against this team. Going to hit up another chaos mode run once this one gets processed. Viva la fiesta!

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever

Tobacco Grower posted:

always get the magic lamp, people!

I forgot the magic lamp :saddowns:

This was a no750 run with Monk/Berserker/Ranger/Dragoon. !Rapidfired my way down to the last part and discovered (OH NO!) I never actually got the magic lamp. That was an embarrassing mistake that got most of the team killed, but a win's a win.

Tobacco Grower
Jun 12, 2005
Ignorance is my power!

Mountaineer posted:

I forgot the magic lamp :saddowns:

This was a no750 run with Monk/Berserker/Ranger/Dragoon. !Rapidfired my way down to the last part and discovered (OH NO!) I never actually got the magic lamp. That was an embarrassing mistake that got most of the team killed, but a win's a win.

At least you beat him without having to backtrack all the way out to get it. Congrats!

blinking beacon nose
Nov 1, 2004

birthday frog comes bearing gifts and special birthday wishes
Run #2. Look at this jerk melt

I had to keep reviving people, and oddly enough my best option for accessory was the flame ring. But Zeniage and Mix in the same party is just way too drat much. Didn't hurt that my level was comparatively astronomical, either

Coulda done this run better, but v :) v

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

I haven't had a lot of spare time so I'm slowly going through the game. Blue mage, berserker, berserker, beast master is such a weird team. Blue Mage and beast master are all about being clever. They defeat each bosses fight as if they were puzzles. And the other half of the team is pure brute force. And mobile berserkers are force to be reckoned with. Having the atb bar correctly working makes them so much better. My berserker faris is the first one in my party to attack. Their new targeting system makes them always focus on the same target. And equip whip gives them so much agility and defense from the back row. I'm about half way through the 2nd world and they deal about 700-900 damage and paralyze.

Gortarius
Jun 6, 2013

idiot
Where should I go to get some good weaponry for Ninja/Samurai/Thief/Mystic?

I am in what I believe is the final dungeon but I'm really not outputting any meaningful damage here and I don't really want to make 10 more incursions just to clear the way to the bottom.

I killed the other boss in the room that has Catastrophe in it but Catastrophe himself just owns me because I can't avoid the earthquake attack and I can't outdamage him.

I've gotten 6 sealed weapons and all that remains there now is just ones that I can't use.

I'm averaging at level 40 with everyone finishing up their last job levels shortly.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Have you been to Phantom Village and bought some Hermes Sandals? Those make a huge difference.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Ugh i had to use 15 hi potion to keep my berserkers from killing gilimesh before I could learn death claw.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

It got real close at the end. loving meteor.

Do I have to wait for Gilgabot to process my last win before I can start a second game?

Sephiroth_IRA fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Jul 12, 2015

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.
Man, Twintania was a super fun fight for once. Gave everyone a Reflect Ring and either !Black or !Blue, then bounced various party-wide -aga spells at him while watching him bounce Mega Flares back at himself.

Imma go take on Shinryu once I manage to stop laughing.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Fourth Job is Dragoon.

I am very sad now.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.
I've got my Wonder Wand cycled around to Berserk. It doesn't reset if I unequip it or reset or anything, yes?

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Bufuman posted:

I've got my Wonder Wand cycled around to Berserk. It doesn't reset if I unequip it or reset or anything, yes?

Correct. It's actually a memory byte that's part of your save file, IIRC.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
I've got Geomancer, Beastmaster and Bard. Even with releasing Sand Bears, Soul Cannon is kicking the poo poo out of me. Am I missing something or am I really just going to have to grind for a while?

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Might try getting one of the slugs from North Mountain - they release for Mucus which inflicts slow. Give you more time between Wave Cannons.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Wow I am having the worst luck with blue magic today. I forgot to get auro 3 from the sage's cave. So I decided to get off the crystal guardians. Well my berserker proc their death scythes 4 times in a row and did not kill any crystals. And my blue magic misses with missile 4 times in a row on the wind crystals. At first I thought maybe the mobile crystals are heavy. So I try missile on the water crystal, it works! The crystals response by ganging up and taking out my beastmaster. Then my berserker kill three crystals in three hits. So began race to try to make missile hit the wind crystal before my berserkers could kill it. 7 turns laters the berserkers won :suicide:

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.

Now the big problem is Omega. Can I actually kill him with the team above? I see a bunch of Ninja teams taking him on and wondering if there's some way to take him with this group. How do people do it, just !Throw Thunder Scrolls?

Qwarq
Apr 3, 2009

Twelve by Pies posted:

I've got Geomancer, Beastmaster and Bard. Even with releasing Sand Bears, Soul Cannon is kicking the poo poo out of me. Am I missing something or am I really just going to have to grind for a while?

A safe but very slow strategy is to have everyone !Hide when the last message before "FIRING" pops up. You might need to wait off screen through another Wave Cannon cycle so everyone's ATB bars will be ready for when it's time to hide again. Come back out for a turn to poke him and repeat until he's dead or the heat death of the universe, whichever comes first.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Level 5 death makes grinding in Galuf's basement so painless I went and got !Dualcast almost immediately.

... Man, this would have been way more fun in world 1. Why isn't !Dualcast their default ability? It comes equipped with all the magic red mages get anyway.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.
So in light of the lack of ideas for obliterating Omega with my team, screw it. Though it physically hurts me to skip the triple crown a second time, guess I'll go swat NED down like the bitch he is.

Mustard Iceman
Apr 8, 2015

Weak against ketchup

Bufuman posted:

So in light of the lack of ideas for obliterating Omega with my team, screw it. Though it physically hurts me to skip the triple crown a second time, guess I'll go swat NED down like the bitch he is.
No Triple Crown for me either on this run.

Had to survive two Almagests (thank you, Lenna's Aegis Shield) and got lucky that all two Grand Crosses did was Berserk Birdz and toad Faris.

Had to farm two Ice Shields from Belphegors and leave the Void to buy Diamond Helms, but I got this fucker, too.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.
Good on ya, mate, I got my own double crown as well.

This team was a real glass cannon of a group. None of them have the HP to survive an unreduced Almagest (thanks for that, Mighty Guard), but they brought down the Grand Cross section before it got to fire any of those off. Probably could've prevented a second Almagest too if I hadn't switched to caution and worked on keeping the last two part's HPs as close as possible to avoid Meteors in the face, but I still beat him down on the first try.

FeatherFloat
Dec 31, 2003

Not kyuute
I loving DID IT.

I had to level to 39 to do it, and I think I just got supremely lucky by getting enough solid hits in on the loving sandworm, but it is dead. I can get on with the game.

At least I have more than enough money to buy those Angel Rings I'll need to get past the cannon.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.
*waits for his two victory confirmations*

I wonder if it would be possible to program Gilgabot to send a Twitter notification when victories are confirmed? Or would it overload our glorious Gilgaleader?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Gilgabot already runs up against the daily tweet limit just from the job assignments.

• Locked thread