Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
canoshiz
Nov 6, 2005

THANK GOD FOR THE SMOKE MACHINE!
I need to find me some fresh dines, these look too good to pass up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tlLdDq3Z2g0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

insulated staircase
Aug 21, 2014

you guys are just joking around right

i bought some brunswick? oscar? sardines and it was gross as all hell. i took one bite spit it out and tossed everything in the garbage where it belongs

loving trolls

ShitheadDeluxe
May 14, 2007

a real jerk posted:

i bought some brunswick? oscar? sardines and it was gross as all hell. i took one bite spit it out and tossed everything in the garbage where it belongs

loving trolls

60 pages of discussion is some dedication to the effort. If it's all a hoax you should be saying "bravo, bravissimo you loving trollls!"

insulated staircase
Aug 21, 2014

quote:

"bravo, bravissimo you loving trollls!"

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

A dog begins eating a dusty old coil of rope but there's a nail in it.

hey.

Maybe you should "can it"

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever
brunswick kippered herring is my personal fave, then oysters in oil, then cheap sardines all mashed up with a little bit of hot sauce and mayonnaise spread on crackers. cheap canned seafood probably isn't the most healthy thing but it's a long sight better than doritos or twinkies

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

a real jerk posted:

loving trolls

gently caress you and die

Ralp
Aug 19, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The Goatfather posted:

today i bought some harissa sardines at trader joes, and theyre really tasty. ive never eaten sardines before but i will buy these again. good job everyone

I saw this thread when someone bumped it last month but I never even clicked it, then later at Trader Joes, lo and behold I notice the sardines and I remember this thread, they don't have any hot sauce sardines but they have whatever harissa is so I decide what the hell let's find out. Well they're delicious and come to find out that exact flavor and brand are a GBS SARDINE THREAD fan favorite :wth:

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002

by VideoGames
Hell Gem
Yeah they aren't bad. Throw them on a bed of white rice and it's a solid meal.

Ponderous Saxon
Jan 5, 2010
Fallen Rib

hellfaucet posted:

Alton's sardine toast recipe is a game changer, so good! Also, grilled sardines are probably my favorite way to eat them.

I know this is the sardine thread and all, but I just wanted to give a shout out to maybe the most amazing canned fish on the planet:

poo poo is straight :gizz:

You should absolutely try their anchovies - they're salty, fishy heaven. Really expensive though.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Bum the Sad posted:

Yeah they aren't bad. Throw them on a bed of white rice and it's a solid meal.

Grab a jar of cowboy caviar while you're at it, maybe that couscous mix, and some chicken broth. Lazy but decent dinner.

e: and let me know if they're still selling the purple tinned 'dines! Portuguese sardines, under $2 each.

doctorfrog fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Jul 11, 2015

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

I've just tried some on crisp bread. Pretty ok! I don't generally like fish, but a few of these a day might be just fine.

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

KO will always be top quality

Trader Joe's is pretty good but this will always be my go-to. I will respect differed opinions on which is the absolute best

but seriously if you think KO tastes awful then I have to question your age

wipe the cheeto dust from your keyboard and go reevaluate your life

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Think I'm gonna do Gordon Ramsay's sardine spaghetti recipe tomorrow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZKLBD_LHYw

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

I got a selection of all non-anchovy canned fish that trader Joe's had to offer and sardines, trout, herring, it all tastes exactly the same on a cracker. This thread is probably funded by the sardine lobby

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

A dog begins eating a dusty old coil of rope but there's a nail in it.

I got a tin of single layer Wild Planet and it was two tiny sardines and one massive one coiled around the inside of the tin. Had to go at that fucker with a fork, surgical precision, to partition it onto crackers. Might've been an eel, but it had a spine like a loving charm bracelet.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

The Goatfather posted:

I got a selection of all non-anchovy canned fish that trader Joe's had to offer and sardines, trout, herring, it all tastes exactly the same on a cracker. This thread is probably funded by the sardine lobby

fukken canned trouts lmbo

ROFLburger
Jan 12, 2006

exquisite tea posted:

Think I'm gonna do Gordon Ramsay's sardine spaghetti recipe tomorrow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZKLBD_LHYw

:vince:

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

makin it tomorrow night. Looks way simpler and cheaper than Jon's pasta con sarde.

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer
breakfast

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

doctorfrog posted:

makin it tomorrow night. Looks way simpler and cheaper than Jon's pasta con sarde.

Also a lot less good

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hr3M3BxbsTU

lol that royalty-free music in the beginning, makes me think i'm gonna watch plinkett make some homemade sardine pizza rolls

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Pastor Perineum posted:

lol that royalty-free music in the beginning, makes me think i'm gonna watch plinkett make some homemade sardine pizza rolls

I hate Chef Jon's intonation. His videos alright though.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Pastor Perineum posted:

I was gonna make this but then I made some lovely mussels marinara instead because I didn't feel like 'shelling out' for some pine nuts.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Them yeller raisins ain't cheap either.

You can swap in walnuts for pine nuts most of the time IMHO

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Sheep-Goats posted:

Also a lot less good

Oh, without question, but this way I can get a six pack of middle-shelf beer instead of pine nuts, special tube spaghetti, friggin saffron...

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

doctorfrog posted:

Oh, without question, but this way I can get a six pack of middle-shelf beer instead of pine nuts, special tube spaghetti, friggin saffron...

Don't use tube spaghetti and if you do it costs the same as regular spaghetti. Saffron is cheap if you go to the Mexican aisle -- the same amount that's 11 bucks in the honkey area is usually only two bucks in the Mexican section and that stuff is fine. If they don't carry it in your market go to the market in the Mexican part of town, which is the part of town with a lot of used car dealerships.

You can also leave the saffron out as it does very little to the flavor, mostly it's just for color.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Sheep-Goats posted:

You can also leave the saffron out as it does very little to the flavor, mostly it's just for color.

I think you might think this because you've been buying cheap saffron. If you're using it for color just use turmeric, but saffron is pretty unique and I only buy the good stuff because nothing else imitates it properly.

e: this is a general statement; it might be different in the case of your recipe, but if you just want yellow, why not turmeric?

SymmetryrtemmyS fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Jul 13, 2015

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

I think you might think this because you've been buying cheap saffron. If you're using it for color just use turmeric, but saffron is pretty unique and I only buy the good stuff because nothing else imitates it properly.

No.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
Deviled egg filling topped with Bar Harbor smoky as gently caress sardines on ak-mak.

I am a genius holy poo poo.

Next up is Bar Harbor's cracked pepper fillets.

Yes.

LiterallyTheWurst
Feb 5, 2015

Sendik's Original

These were the first sardines I tasted, and they were amazing. I bought them at Big Lots until they disappeared, and I can't find them anywhere else. Does anyone have any alternatives for a good smokey, peppery Sardine?

Boko Haram
Dec 22, 2008

Wegmans has a good selection in the international food section, im in love with the sardines in lemon/oil. I think I'm getting one of every kind for this week its too good

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."

Capntastic posted:

hey.

Maybe you should "can it"

This is the perfect post for this thread. Bravo.

Not quite sardines, but whiting on the grill is delicioso. Also got porgies because the fish guy said not to grill whiting, it would fall apart. I was careful and it didn't. I actually broke the porgies worse than the whiting. Other than that dumb advice I have lots of love for Wegman's - that's where I got these bad boys. USA wild-caught, fresh and tasty. Just seasoned with olive oil, salt, and pepper, finished with a squeeze of lemon. Pick the meat off the bones with your fingers.

wireframeskull
Dec 3, 2006

got 300 calories left in my diet today, looks like i'm 'dine-ing in tonight boys

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer
lol who the doodle bug counts calories

wireframeskull
Dec 3, 2006

me when i'm losing weight, then switch to autopilot

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer
sorry your body isnt a maintenance-free mass of muscle......maybe you should try being born with better genetics HAHA you suck rear end in a top hat

wireframeskull
Dec 3, 2006

who needs genetics when you've got a sweet spreadsheet and sardines??

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer
im really sorry for lashing out like that im feeling kind of gassy today

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wireframeskull
Dec 3, 2006

• Locked thread