Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

Koramei posted:

Provinces are in history\provinces but you change terrain in map\terrain.txt

The region triggers are probably for trade goods that change based on whether part of the map has been explored/colonized etc (like grand banks fishery, depletion of european beaver etc). I think it should just be the numbers in colonial_regions.

Just experiment if something doesn't work though, that's a big park of modding. Incidentally, they really cut down the time it takes to launch the game with CS, kudos to Paradox for that. I used to have to wait like 3-4 minutes sometimes, now it's like 20-30 seconds at most. Makes modding a whole lot easier.

Cool, I'm gonna make cilicia a farmland and add cotton to Egypt. Maybe even make whatever the places that aren't called Khartoum farmlands too.

My nile empire Will out develop those Antolian assholes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yashichi
Oct 22, 2010

Fuligin posted:

I don't mind burgundian inheritance because it fires rarely enough that it's an actual interesting twist when it does. The Dutch revolts, similarly, I havent noticed occurring at all since CS dropped. If all these myriad historical surprises could arise through basic game mechanics that would be beautifully elegant, but I don't think the utility of DHEs as ways of keeping the game interesting during the flow of endless player expansion should be discounted. It's what makes the Reformation mechanics great, and why I think a similar macro-mechanic for national revolutions in the late game would be a great addition.

It's not that the concept of DHEs is bad, it's that the kind people keep mentioning here isn't interesting. The Burgundian Inheritance currently just hands the emperor a bunch of really rich provinces with 0 autonomy that they have no difficulty holding on to. The Netherlands almost never become part of Spain at any point and they rarely become independent., so it's doing a very poor job of simulating a historical event and can just fire and kill a major power at random. The Ottomans have a bunch of missions to tear up the Mamluks anyway, and they manage to do it with reasonable consistency, so a DHE to annex them immediately just speeds up the process at the cost of weird railroading and deleting a major power.

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

Yashichi posted:

It's not that the concept of DHEs is bad, it's that the kind people keep mentioning here isn't interesting. The Burgundian Inheritance currently just hands the emperor a bunch of really rich provinces with 0 autonomy that they have no difficulty holding on to. The Netherlands almost never become part of Spain at any point and they rarely become independent., so it's doing a very poor job of simulating a historical event and can just fire and kill a major power at random. The Ottomans have a bunch of missions to tear up the Mamluks anyway, and they manage to do it with reasonable consistency, so a DHE to annex them immediately just speeds up the process at the cost of weird railroading and deleting a major power.

played around with a Mameluke start last night and dear god they have like 4x the starting troops as I do. They don't need help.

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

looking around more and it looks like colonial trade goods don't come from the colonial_region.txt as that's only for random new world, but comes from tradegoods.txt, where they have reigions defined where the tradegood event will trigger. that's a much bigger pain in the rear end to mod.

And I still can't find where the tradegoods for actual non colonial provinces are defined.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Yashichi posted:

The bigger problem with the Netherlands events is that it's a quick fix for the fact that once you've conquered + cored (+ converted where necessary) some territory and separatism has gone away it never revolts ever again without events interfering or gigantic amounts of WE. This is obviously dumb and bad from a historical perspective; as an earlier post mentioned, local autonomy is a really interesting game concept for making large (and especially multiethnic / multifaith) states appropriately difficult to manage efficiently and potentially unruly, but nothing is done with it.

There should be some degree of balancing going on all the time between local autonomy and RR and reaching 0% should be a big deal that rarely happens in large states outside of the capital, but I really don't know how to make this happen without just throwing events at poo poo.

Here's my "I thought about this for 5 minutes and it might be interesting" suggestion: make local autonomy reduce RR in and of itself, and give all provinces a baseline +RR to compensate for it, then remove / change the RR effect from clicking the more / less autonomy button. In this way, as you suck more and more out of each province (which conceptually represents minor increases in efficiency of government, new local taxes and laws, etc.) they will gradually get more pissed off at you until there's either a revolt or you give in and give them back some local control.

Of course this doesn't hit larger states any worse than small ones other than causing a lot of micromanaging so it's obviously not a good idea without some serious work but I thought the concept was interesting and somewhat reminiscent of EU3's Centralisation / Decentralisation slider.

RabidWeasel fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Jul 12, 2015

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

I accidentally ran a vanilla observer game last night (meant to test a mod but forgot and didn't notice it wasn't on) which ended up with the Ottomans well-off (they even controlled Rome!) and Russia having nice borders.

Maybe that game was just lucky or something? :shrug: It's kind of tempting to just run vanilla observer games every night for like a week, take shots of the map at the end and then overlay all the results and see what the most common elements are.

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

Uggghhh. I need so much help is there a map anywhere of regions so I don't have to boot eu

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

Poil posted:

So my Ternate game ended up with the Aspiration for Liberty and I turned into a republic. A constitutional republic. Which requires 26 seats. That's +52% cost of increasing stability. It took me a while to figure out where the button was to assign seats but in retrospect it's almost obvious it would be up in the corner where you assign a new capital or trade collection center.

Cheating with the console has an amazing ability, you can force the Abolish Slavery event on a province to make it produce unknown trade goods and effectively reroll the crappy gold into something more useful, like grain or wool. No more treasure fleet inflation. It even works on provinces not owned by you, such as your colonial nations. :toot:

Yeah, in my current game Russia east of the Urals is just a thin line on top of all those scary scary hordes they could easily beat if they weren't too scared to wage war. :ohdear:

Gold provinces are anything but crappy. You just need to manage your inflation better.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

PrinceRandom posted:

Uggghhh. I need so much help is there a map anywhere of regions so I don't have to boot eu
The Clauzewitz Scenario Editor allows you to look up a whole bunch of stuff outside EU4, and even change province files right there without having to open them, if you wished for example to add a new trade good and put it in provinces alll over the place. In your case, you could use it to look up regions too, just be aware you can just choose a random region and then just click on the map to see a region. (Clicking again allows you to cycle through regions, sometimes. Also, clicking too fast opens the province's history file so you can edit it.) You can also just hover over a province to see the regions' it's part of names in the files.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
Is it me or is Hesse becoming the emperor with strange frequency?

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Jsor posted:

Saxony and the Palatinate for me. The first 1.13 patch had Bohemia as emperor constantly but that seems to have died down some with further hotfixes though they still do it occasionally.

Until the AI gets changed to prioritise allying electors the current system is always going to favour the Elector monarchies.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Jsor posted:

Yeah seems fairly common. It's usually Austria, Bohemia, or Hesse in my games.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
I'm Holland. Navarra just asked me for military access, they don't have any enemies or allies near me. :psyduck:

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
I reunited the Pentarchy as Russia and was disappointed to find out that not much happened, since it's such a big deal in CK2. Oh well.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
Anybody tried for the Tunis achievements recently? I see Castile regularly get curbstomped and broken, I was thinking of going for Sons of Carthage or maybe Re-Reconquista as Granada.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

I am probably the strongest advocate for historical outcomes here. I find it way more fun to play a minor power if the majors are doing their historical thing.

Yashichi posted:

The 0 autonomy thing definitely is a problem, but you need DHEs to ever create these sorts of situations. It might be better if there was a more detailed dynastic system to model the collapse of Burgundy, but Johan had stated multiple times that we won't see that kind of interaction in EU4, because that's a CK thing. I'd say the Burgundian Inheritance could use some work, but it's still a vital piece of the game.

As for the Ottomans, they really do need the speed up. They played a dominant role in European politics, and they won't be able to play that role if they have to slowly grind down the Mamluks.

Their weakness is then made more severe by the old issue if the AI committing 100% of their strength to every war they fight.

Yashichi
Oct 22, 2010

Ofaloaf posted:

I accidentally ran a vanilla observer game last night (meant to test a mod but forgot and didn't notice it wasn't on) which ended up with the Ottomans well-off (they even controlled Rome!) and Russia having nice borders.

Maybe that game was just lucky or something? :shrug: It's kind of tempting to just run vanilla observer games every night for like a week, take shots of the map at the end and then overlay all the results and see what the most common elements are.

French Iceland is the weirdest thing about that map

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

ZombieLenin posted:

Gold provinces are anything but crappy. You just need to manage your inflation better.
No, gold provinces for colonial nations are terrible and continuously throw treasure fleets at you that increases your inflation (even if the gold income is low enough that you wouldn't have any inflation if the mines were in your nation). Getting economic ideas is not always viable and certainly isn't fun to be forced to take. Master of the mint is unreliable at best, too much rng and I don't want to spend several treasure fleets worth of cash to dismiss advisors and maybe get one. Certainly not since even if the correct advisor shows up he might just be a crappy level 1 or an overly expensive level 3.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Poil posted:

No, gold provinces for colonial nations are terrible and continuously throw treasure fleets at you that increases your inflation (even if the gold income is low enough that you wouldn't have any inflation if the mines were in your nation). Getting economic ideas is not always viable and certainly isn't fun to be forced to take. Master of the mint is unreliable at best, too much rng and I don't want to spend several treasure fleets worth of cash to dismiss advisors and maybe get one. Certainly not since even if the correct advisor shows up he might just be a crappy level 1 or an overly expensive level 3.

There is also the papal inflation reduction, if you're catholic.

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

Tsyni posted:

That's interest

Yashichi
Oct 22, 2010

PittTheElder posted:

I am probably the strongest advocate for historical outcomes here. I find it way more fun to play a minor power if the majors are doing their historical thing.

The 0 autonomy thing definitely is a problem, but you need DHEs to ever create these sorts of situations. It might be better if there was a more detailed dynastic system to model the collapse of Burgundy, but Johan had stated multiple times that we won't see that kind of interaction in EU4, because that's a CK thing. I'd say the Burgundian Inheritance could use some work, but it's still a vital piece of the game.

As for the Ottomans, they really do need the speed up. They played a dominant role in European politics, and they won't be able to play that role if they have to slowly grind down the Mamluks.

Their weakness is then made more severe by the old issue if the AI committing 100% of their strength to every war they fight.

The actual Burgundian Inheritance was more like a succession war between France and Austria than the weird partition that we have now, and since that system already exists in the game the event is redundant and weird. If we have to have it then it would be more interesting to have a rare event that can break up European Christian countries in general among their royal marriage partners; it's not as though Burgundy is the only country this could have happened to, nor was it a sure thing in 1444 that the Inheritance would even happen the way it did. Maybe let Austria get their mission to PU Burgundy much earlier.

Similarly, the Ottoman missions put them in a great place to achieve their historical borders without hand-holding. They don't have problems conquering the Mamluks in a timely fashion and they regularly swallow the Balkans unless they end up at war with several other majors, which is how that should play out anyway.

The Iberian wedding is also stupid and should probably be replaced with something better, since Aragon typically rivals Castile and shouldn't be content to fuse with them.

The mission system is pretty good at getting major powers to go where they should, and more general events like "The [X country] Inheritance" or "Failed State Annexed" would add those kind of historical shakeups without forcing the same poo poo to happen every game.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

PrinceRandom posted:

That's interest

It's inflation and interest. And it lasts 20 years, which is fairly decent for 50 papal influence.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Tsyni posted:

The majority of the world isn't though. Especially not in south east Asia. :)

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Good job, guys! Go get that OPM!

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Jsor posted:

Good job, guys! Go get that OPM!
There might be more soldiers there than actual people living in the area. What's their attrition like? :stare:

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
They were taking max 5% attrition so a lot of troops were dying. Only Austria was smart enough to move their army off that thing.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Yashichi posted:

The actual Burgundian Inheritance was more like a succession war between France and Austria than the weird partition that we have now, and since that system already exists in the game the event is redundant and weird. If we have to have it then it would be more interesting to have a rare event that can break up European Christian countries in general among their royal marriage partners; it's not as though Burgundy is the only country this could have happened to, nor was it a sure thing in 1444 that the Inheritance would even happen the way it did. Maybe let Austria get their mission to PU Burgundy much earlier.
Burgundy wasn't just another country though, it was an overgrown French fief which expanded into HRE lands. I'm not sure what other countries could realistically be split due to being in different "jurisdictions". Not kingdoms at least, though adding similar events for other dukes might make sense. Having HRE duchies possibly just split up without being absorbed by another country wouldn't be too bad either.

That said, it's not like the Burgundian Inheritance is destined to always be a French/Austrian split, it can go to other emperors too, or the French entirely, or even be split with some other European power. Not actually sure if there is a decision/event for this, but maybe if Burgundy had the possibility of creating a full independent kingdom with the backing of the HRE? This would then prevent any further non-generic inheritance, preserving Burgundy as a foil to the French until the French kill it manually.

Apoffys
Sep 5, 2011

Yashichi posted:

There's no system in-game that can partition things like that though, because peace treaties are one-sided (you can either give or take, not both). A succession war under the current rules would end up with either France or the Emperor getting everything, not a split.

Yashichi
Oct 22, 2010

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Burgundy wasn't just another country though, it was an overgrown French fief which expanded into HRE lands. I'm not sure what other countries could realistically be split due to being in different "jurisdictions". Not kingdoms at least, though adding similar events for other dukes might make sense. Having HRE duchies possibly just split up without being absorbed by another country wouldn't be too bad either.

That said, it's not like the Burgundian Inheritance is destined to always be a French/Austrian split, it can go to other emperors too, or the French entirely, or even be split with some other European power. Not actually sure if there is a decision/event for this, but maybe if Burgundy had the possibility of creating a full independent kingdom with the backing of the HRE? This would then prevent any further non-generic inheritance, preserving Burgundy as a foil to the French until the French kill it manually.

That's what Charles the Bold tried to do, and it would be nice to have a decision for it. But only the French parts of Burgundy were partitioned due to being fiefs, the Habsburgs got the rest through marriage (and had to fight France for it) so it's weird that the emperor always gets the rest, especially since Austria usually rivals Burgundy.

Yashichi
Oct 22, 2010

Apoffys posted:

There's no system in-game that can partition things like that though, because peace treaties are one-sided (you can either give or take, not both). A succession war under the current rules would end up with either France or the Emperor getting everything, not a split.

Those were two separate possibilities. We could replace the BI with a succession war, or devise an event chain that does something like the BI but isn't limited to that tag at a particular time.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
I have a regency council (Interregnum) as Byzantium. And my heir died.

It's been this way for quite some time now. I'm going to get an heir, right...?

e: Great. It's a loving von Hapsburg.

Node fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Jul 13, 2015

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]
Yay! Ethiopia play through ruined by me not paying attention and war decing the Malmuks during a truce. Yay -3 stability, internal conflicts, and having 167 AE with the Ottomans.

Time to start over and not be stupid... Again.

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

Changing all these tradegood regions is making me want to make some random events like POP for vicky 2 that can change non colonial goods.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

[/quote]

A Buttery Pastry posted:

I don't think I recall Muscovy ever not being weak. They seem to have a lot of trouble building up a stable power base from which to expand, and then just get beaten up occasionally by their neighbors. I wonder actually, is the current religious/cultural setup historically justified? Because having some Orthodox Russians in the northern parts of the Golden Horde territory might help Muscovy hang on to it if it manages to grab it, plus weaken the Golden Horde. Alternatively, those territories should have a decision associated with them which allows Muscovy/Russia to turn them Russian and Orthodox, sorta like it has for St. Petersburg.

loving forever ago during my Byzantine/Restored Empire play through I stopped paying attention to Muscovy for a long time. So I was totally caught by surprise when the war dec from Russia and the endless stream of infantry came.

This was end game and didn't really ruin anything other than my personal goal of restoring the entire empire.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Node posted:

I have a regency council (Interregnum) as Byzantium. And my heir died.

It's been this way for quite some time now. I'm going to get an heir, right...?

e: Great. It's a loving von Hapsburg.
Of course it is. :v:

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

ZombieLenin posted:

Yay! Ethiopia play through ruined by me not paying attention and war decing the Malmuks during a truce. Yay -3 stability, internal conflicts, and having 167 AE with the Ottomans.

Time to start over and not be stupid... Again.

There should be and "are you sure?" popup for that.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Also, one thing I really want is a flag warning that you have a stationary navy taking attrition. I've lost 10s of thousands of gold worth of fleets that have died because I left them somewhere out of supply range.

OneTwentySix
Nov 5, 2007

fun
FUN
FUN

Do any of the UI mods fix the issue where you can't see things because the list goes off the screen with no scroll? I have no idea what the ship composition is there, aside from there's 60 ships.

Also, what's the deal with the blockade text there?

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

Got all the colony trade goods equalized and I'm gonna try a mix of dei gratia and EVE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
It is really relaxing to go into observe mode, put into the console "bearhaslanded" and just watch Jan Mayen go to work. It is also pretty funny to see them declare on someone they clearly cannot reach, for example, my Jan Mayen landed in Baluchistan. They took all of the Timurids, half of India and most of Egypt. So naturally for their next point of expansion they declared on Poland, who they have absolutely no path to and no hope of fighting.

In a failed observation earlier, they spawned in the Aztec region, expanded a bit, then declared on the Kalmar Union. In 1451.

• Locked thread