Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
Monster Musume was (is?) consistently reaching the #1 spot on the New York Times bestselling manga list.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

DoubleDonut posted:

Every time I look for manga on Amazon it tells me I should buy Monster Musume so I think monsters are just in right now

Amazon is just looking out for you

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

HellCopter posted:

Monster Musume was (is?) consistently reaching the #1 spot on the New York Times bestselling manga list.

This and VR has made this year simply magical :allears:

Annointed fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Jul 6, 2015

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

oh my god I never knew this drat comic had a thread because id never heard it referred to as Truthism before.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!
Just watched the first ep of the anime, I'm pretty underwhelmed. I feel like they got the voices for lots of the characters wrong and it just lacks the comedic timing of the manga, I'll keep watching but only because the manga itself gets better and better so I'm hoping for the same thing in the anime. :smith:

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
The only character I didn't care much for was Shiragami. She looked bland, and I was hoping for a more Rin-like voice. I thought it was a decent episode overall though.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

ViggyNash posted:

The only character I didn't care much for was Shiragami. She looked bland, and I was hoping for a more Rin-like voice. I thought it was a decent episode overall though.

It'll take awhile for it to pick up steam I guess. Her voice is really far too high-pitched though. I always imagined it with more of a drawl, probably because of how her accent is translated.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

There Bias Two posted:

Her voice is really far too high-pitched though. I always imagined it with more of a drawl, probably because of how her accent is translated.
She sounds cute + dumb.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
Shiragami's voice is quite a bit higher than I would like and I expected a bit more out of the faces. Other than that it seemed alright. She does sound cute + dumb.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
She doesn't sound like the cute + dumb we expected, but it's the cute + dumb we deserve. Also, from the OP, it looks like we're not getting Rin, Aizawa's brother or the Angel anytime soon.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
Does anyone remember when Youko gets really pissed off at Kuromine for being self-sacrificing/hurtful to his friends by being too self-denigrating? I remember she clonked him on the head when they were stuck in the snow in the mountain, and there's a few other times but I don't recall.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Just watched the first ep of the anime, I'm pretty underwhelmed. I feel like they got the voices for lots of the characters wrong and it just lacks the comedic timing of the manga, I'll keep watching but only because the manga itself gets better and better so I'm hoping for the same thing in the anime. :smith:

i'm pretty sure that's just, like, how the manga was when it started.

it's a pretty marked difference, going back. it's lot less silly and more romance with dashes of comedy, and there are things that were basically completely abandoned like asahi's not being able to keep a secret

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I distinctly remember reading the first chapter or two at random when it was first being scanned and going "why the gently caress am I reading this," after which I tossed it aside until I heard better things. That first part is really generic.

Seriously though that OP is amazingly awful.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

basically i'm not super excited for the adaptation, not because of the art style or whatever, but because in my memories it starts getting actually funny and good around the tail end of what a 13 episode run will probably cover

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

who knows though, maybe it'll be good.

the first episode didn't seem to be going that way, but if the adaptation staff is smart they'll adopt the earlier material more in line with the style and tone of the later material and maybe spiff it up a little in doing so.

that'd be cool

MrAptronym
Jan 4, 2007

"...And then there was Bitcoin."
Yeah, I am going to keep watching because I do like the manga so much. If I was going in blind I doubt I would even bother with another episode. Its not bad in any particular way, just bland. The manga starts slow too though, and they at least did a pretty good job matching the style, (Needs a few more creepy wide grins) its just more mellow than I was hoping and I am not sold on voices.

Next episode should have some more room to play with, Nagisa's introduction gets a bit sillier and ups the energy. I don't really enjoy shirou, but I am really looking forward to the principle and Akalyn. As the cast fills out we will see how they can bring out the dynamics between the characters. How far do you guys think the season will cover?

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
Gotta say, out of all the names for this manga I like "Dumbpire" the most. Everyone's dumb. She's a vampire. Dumbpire. Ta-dah.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
It's also a pun on dhampyr, a half-vampire. :v:

KoB
May 1, 2009
Watched parts of the first episode, did not like any of the voices really.

2dumb2cute

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

I do solemnly swear that in the year 2015 I will theorycraft my wallet as well as my WoW
You guys need to go back and read the first chapter or two if the blandness of the first episode caught you off guard.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Harry posted:

You guys need to go back and read the first chapter or two if the blandness of the first episode caught you off guard.

It wasn't the content itself, it was how it was presented and paced in the anime that I didn't like.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Terper posted:

It wasn't the content itself, it was how it was presented and paced in the anime that I didn't like.

I was OK with it because this episode was actually them pretty much hurrying through the super boring intro parts in order to hurry up and move towards the good stuff. There's basically no way to make the intro to this anything but boring and generic because the beginning of the manga was super duper boring and generic. There's not a lot to work with when your content is "Kuromine is a coward and Dumbpire is an idiot".

I'm holding out for when they actually introduce the rest of the cast because it doesn't start getting good until everyone starts bouncing off each other.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Kanos posted:

I was OK with it because this episode was actually them pretty much hurrying through the super boring intro parts in order to hurry up and move towards the good stuff. There's basically no way to make the intro to this anything but boring and generic because the beginning of the manga was super duper boring and generic. There's not a lot to work with when your content is "Kuromine is a coward and Dumbpire is an idiot".

I'm holding out for when they actually introduce the rest of the cast because it doesn't start getting good until everyone starts bouncing off each other.

Yeah, this series really depends on its ensemble, and until the gang's assembled it will be a little generic.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

New chapter on /a/ FINALLLYYYYYYY!!!!!!! At the same time :smith:.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Annointed posted:

New chapter on /a/ FINALLLYYYYYYY!!!!!!! At the same time :smith:.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Goddamn. For one, fuckin' finally! On the other hand. :smith:

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
Just wait until the next chapter comes out. It's ... freakin' great. We'll try not to let there be too much lag between the two chapters.

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t
This is pretty much one of my favorite mangas, just wanted to say.

Brb, crying manly tears :unsmith:

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Compared to how long it takes on most other mangas of the genre, this is breakneck speed!

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

Just wait until the next chapter comes out. It's ... freakin' great. We'll try not to let there be too much lag between the two chapters.

I'll be hyped. Also as a guy who browses /a/ specifically for your guys' tl threads, sorry about all the drama that occurred over the past several months. I wouldn't want that on anybody.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

someone post a link, geez

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Cake Attack posted:

someone post a link, geez

here ya go

http://boards.4chan.org/a/thread/127996560#top

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

ty friend

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

seconding the ty friend.

:smith: and :unsmith:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
This won't get animated and that's a bummer.

I wonder what the anime will get to.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.

Annointed posted:

I'll be hyped. Also as a guy who browses /a/ specifically for your guys' tl threads, sorry about all the drama that occurred over the past several months. I wouldn't want that on anybody.

Eh, no worries. I just keep my head down and do my work. As long as I get to keep doing something I like, I'll keep doin' it.

Also: link.

Kleptobot
Nov 6, 2009
It happened. Oh my god it actually happened.

Burn all other romantic manga, we're never going to top this.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

gently caress me that was great.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Well, that was a good chapter. Good on Kuromine for finally saying it!

Aizawa is some crazy :smith::hf::black101: combo isn't she? Man, I hope she gets a happy ending somehow :(

CommissarMega fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Jul 13, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

She feeds the principal the mother of all sweets and is rewarded with Minimine.

• Locked thread