Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

More importantly I'm glad to know you can still be a turbo overweight character.

Turboverweight, if you will.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

Gestalt Intellect posted:

More importantly I'm glad to know you can still be a turbo overweight character.

Turboverweight, if you will.
Definitely, even larger than you could in Dragon's Dogma.

I also discovered that you can dye clothing. I have a pink cape waiting for me once I hit level 12.

Funky Britches
Aug 22, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=enXLCcDz4X4

60fps Dragon's Dogma footage is blowing my mind

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

gibbed posted:

凶悪スフィンクス
"Atrocious Sphinx" (according to Google Translate)

The face/mouth on this thing is :stare:. Also breast physics.

Now that's what the grab button was made for. :smugmrgw:

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

Weekend test session is now over, there's one last test session for CBT1 on Monday evening that lasts 10 hours, then CBT1 is over. I believe there will be a CBT2 next month? Actual release is at the end of next month.

Here's some screenshots:

Pink dye! (I am 99% sure you can dye any clothing/armor/weapon)

Pretty cave!

Grand missions! (8 player raids, basically)

gibbed fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Jul 12, 2015

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

8 player "raids" reminds me of the Task Forces from City of Heroes. Can you do them with pawns filling in for any players you don't have?

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

Lotish posted:

8 player "raids" reminds me of the Task Forces from City of Heroes. Can you do them with pawns filling in for any players you don't have?
Don't know, the two I did (just before the server went down) was filled with players. I'll check during the latest CBT1 test session.

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

Here's a bunch of stuff I noted while playing a load of CBT1 so far. I've made it to level 11 as a fighter, level 13 as an archer. I'm pretty sure CBT1 is capped to level 15.
  • There's a very obvious freemium system of tokens (both gold and silver). I'm pretty sure the gold tokens are the ones you can pay real money for. So far, I've noticed that gold tokens can be used for revives (both yourself, and pawns), gambling for items and the barbershop. The only use for silver tokens I've seen is for gambling for items. I'm guessing you can probably earn the silver tokens in-game somehow. The freemium store stuff is all disabled, so other than the gambling I didn't see anything else.
  • When you use a gold token to revive (either yourself, or a pawn) it causes the respawn to also add a buff which which causes you to glow gold. I'm guessing it's an armor/defense buff.
  • You have a four free revives, which can be refilled daily.
  • There's actual crafting now (replacing the combining system from Dragon's Dogma).
  • You can upgrade gear through the crafting area, which requires gold and various ingredient items.
  • You can dye gear through the crafting area (gear must be upgraded at least once to be able to be dyed, I think).
  • You can socket gems into weapons, which add buffs. Not sure if you can socket armor or clothing.
  • When you craft items, you can select an additional material. This gives a chance for an upgraded item being crafted.
  • All of the crafting related things is tied to your pawn's crafting level. When you do anything such as crafting, upgrading, dyeing, you can visually see your pawn (and any other helpers) working in the crafting area.
  • Crafting/upgrading/dyeing/etc all take an amount of time now. Most stuff I tried was usually a minute. Most amount of time I saw was 3 minutes. Higher level stuff probably takes much longer.
  • There's no more weight limit, but now you have limited space for items.
  • There's a quick hotbar for using consumables now.
  • You can generally use hotbar consumables at any time, this includes when you're grabbed by large monsters, knocked down, falling, etc.
  • There's a storage box, which also has limited space.
  • When you complete quests, the quest rewards must be selected and confirmed at a storage box. The selected rewards go into the storage box.
  • You can see any other players in the main city, but when you venture out into the world, you end up in your own instance (plus whoever may be in your party).
  • Your party can consist of yourself and any amount of pawns or players, up to a limit of 4 (for grand missions, the limit is 8).
  • There are repeatable world quests, as you complete these you can rank up in specific areas that those world quests are in.
  • If you allow your pawn to actually die, you will have to go through a quest to save your pawn before you can summon any pawns again.
  • The time of day progresses normally, monster spawns will change depending on the time of day. I haven't seen (and doubt) any way to sleep to advance time.
  • There's a bunch of new goblin variants.
  • New monsters too, such as slimes.
  • The world is filled with dungeons (and dungeons inside dungeons!), that can be run through as you like (some dungeons have world quests within them as well). Dungeons will respawn as time passes.
  • You can warp to activated warp stones for an amount of rift crystals. Warping to the main city is always free.
  • The brine is still a thing.
  • You can't grab (that is, pick up) NPCs/monsters, but you can pick up exploding barrels (which can then be thrown).
  • You can still climb all over larger monsters. Can't ride cows anymore though.
  • Sphinx are jerks.
Basically: this is Dragon's Dogma with multiplayer and some mechanics changes. It's great and I really hope they bring it to the west.

If you have any questions about the beta content, I can try to answer it.

gibbed fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Jul 12, 2015

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
Hello gibbed. What is toughest encounter in the beta? Also what was your favorite fight?

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Hah, I caught some of your stream the other day. Didn't know you were a goon. Thanks for the info dump.

Really hoping Capcom brings this over now.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Do different body sizes and types still affect gameplay like your melee reach, how hard you are for enemies to grab, how easy it is to hang on to or carry enemies? You said they removed weight from items, and that was one of the things body type played into before.

edit: What happens if you run out of your four "free" revives? Do you just fail the mission or are you unable to continue until you refill your stock? Do your revives carry over mission to mission or do you start every job with four revives?

How is the level design? One of the things about Dragon's Dogma that was cool was good use of cramped, dark spaces and lots of pitfalls/narrow bridges/ledges, but a lot of what I've seen has been kind of broad and flat (apart from that one highlight on your channel where you got bunted off a tower--that was hilarious).

Are pawns as chatty as ever?

marshmallow creep fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Jul 12, 2015

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

I will literally cry if they don't localize this.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
There'll be a fan translation you can patch into the PC version at the very least, Dragon's Dogma is definitely the type of game to inspire that kind of mad devotion in its fans.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Watching some of the DDO videos and I'm kind of bummed they didn't remove the little kid body type. That poo poo was just creepy, especially since a ton of people made them and you have all these half-dressed little kid looking pawns walking all over the place. At the very least I hope they add a filter to block certain body types.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Jimbot posted:

Watching some of the DDO videos and I'm kind of bummed they didn't remove the little kid body type. That poo poo was just creepy, especially since a ton of people made them and you have all these half-dressed little kid looking pawns walking all over the place. At the very least I hope they add a filter to block certain body types.

Worth it to recruit frodo samwise and merry and watch them crawl all over a cyclops and stab it to death.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I like that the game lets you play as a hobbit or a child as you go destroy giant monsters, the problem is that tons of pedophiles used that flexibility in the character creator to flood the place with their pedophile poo poo so you practically can't avoid it anytime you go looking for a pawn to hire. There are so loving many of them.

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

I like that the game lets you play as a hobbit or a child as you go destroy giant monsters, the problem is that tons of pedophiles used that flexibility in the character creator to flood the place with their pedophile poo poo so you practically can't avoid it anytime you go looking for a pawn to hire. There are so loving many of them.

Maybe I got lucky, but I saw way more generic skimpy-clothed ladies than tiny childlike perv-bait. That doesn't mean I never saw it, but it was fairly uncommon. I think it'd be well worth losing the amusing hobbits to get rid of the pedo poo poo.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I don't remember ever seeing a sexy child. I didn't see many female Conans in thongs either, though I started playing long after the game's peak period.

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

ThePhenomenalBaby posted:

Hello gibbed. What is toughest encounter in the beta? Also what was your favorite fight?
Toughest encounter that I beat was probably two cyclops at once, managing the rage meter on one big creature is hard enough. I wasn't able to kill a sphinx yet (they have this air swoop attack thing that's hard to dodge that killed me in one hit). Favorite fight was probably in the cave I posted a screenshot of, but that was mostly because of the area.

Lotish posted:

Do different body sizes and types still affect gameplay like your melee reach, how hard you are for enemies to grab, how easy it is to hang on to or carry enemies? You said they removed weight from items, and that was one of the things body type played into before.

edit: What happens if you run out of your four "free" revives? Do you just fail the mission or are you unable to continue until you refill your stock? Do your revives carry over mission to mission or do you start every job with four revives?

How is the level design? One of the things about Dragon's Dogma that was cool was good use of cramped, dark spaces and lots of pitfalls/narrow bridges/ledges, but a lot of what I've seen has been kind of broad and flat (apart from that one highlight on your channel where you got bunted off a tower--that was hilarious).

Are pawns as chatty as ever?
The character info screen did have my weight class shown, but I don't know how it affected things. I didn't notice anything that would require specific body sizes but since that did exist in Dragon's Dogma, it will probably be something in Online as well. Climbing enemies works exactly the same, though I don't know about stamina consumption rates.

When you die you have three options: respawn at the nearest town, respawn using free revive, respawn using gold token.

The world design itself is alright. I did find a few very cool areas, such as the area the cave was in which had multiple paths and pits to fall into. Which reminds me of something I didn't put in the list: they've added a climbing mechanic to some surfaces, like vines or roots covering a cliffside can be climbed up and down in some areas. They also made it so you can jump up and down while climbing, which speeds things way up.

Yes, pawns are as chatty as ever. I don't know if there's a way to make them less chatty.

im cute
Sep 21, 2009

2house2fly posted:

I don't remember ever seeing a sexy child. I didn't see many female Conans in thongs either, though I started playing long after the game's peak period.

It was particularly bad in the beginning before the pedos got bored. A pretty big chunk of the lolis I see are stuck in the No Dark Arisen = No Gifting or Rating limbo. There are still a ton of mostly-naked pawns but at least their full-grown men and women.

On the other hand, I've enjoyed bringing along a good number of dwarves, little old people, and non-pedo bait kids. One of my alts is a pretty obvious adolescent, and another has a full-on Dwarven pawn.

Keep little people in DD. One-star or Brine loli pawns. Personally, I have a pretty huge collection of Prisoner's Tatters from repeatedly stealing from and accidentally stabbing townsfolk. I used to send skimpy clothes kids back in a burlap sack. Good stuff.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
I loved the deep voice on little pawns in full plate armor.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
This game deserves to be localized on PC, as does the original DD. Imagine if this game was announced westbound then a port of Dark Arisen to precede it was in the news :sigh:

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
Imagine if Capcom was good lol

No but seriously try not to expect too much from them. It's a road wrought with peril.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Why couldn't they just make a normal sequel

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Jose posted:

Capcom exists to ensure that we can't have nice things. They're only doing their job.

CountingWizard
Jul 6, 2004
So is DDO more like an MMO or more like Dragon's Dogma?

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Jose posted:

Something something Japan.

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

CountingWizard posted:

So is DDO more like an MMO or more like Dragon's Dogma?
It's Dragon's Dogma with multiplayer.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

ThePhenomenalBaby posted:

It's a road wrought with peril.

The duke could stand to commission some new roads.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

All dukes are good for is taxing you and beating you up when you can't pay the taxes with that money you don't have.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

gibbed posted:

It's Dragon's Dogma with multiplayer.
So are free to play titles the way to go with games in glorious Nippon nowadays or what?

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Sylphosaurus posted:

So are free to play titles the way to go with games in glorious Nippon nowadays or what?

gently caress of a lot more profitable than any other kind

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
Config file gives an idea for what the graphics settings are in the game (PC), doesn't seem to bad.

quote:

[DISPLAY]
VSYNC=OFF
ScreenMode=FullScreen
WindowSize=2560x1440
[GAME]
NonActiveFPSDown=OFF
FPS=60
OmLiveDistance=Far
OmLodRate=Far
HumanDispNum=80
HumanDispDistance=10000.0
[GRAPHICS]
TextureQuality=Highest
Antialias=Default
ShadowQuality=Highest
ShadowDistance=Far
SkyShadowBackforwardViewDistance=Far
SkyShadowCascadeMode=3Way
LobbyLanternShadow=ON
SkyShadowCascadeEnable=ON
SkyShadowSmoothCascade=ON
GrassVolume=1.0
GrassQuality=High
GrassDistance=5.0
EffectMode=High
BattleEffect=All
EffectLimit=High

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

Lunethex posted:

All dukes are good for is taxing you and beating you up when you can't pay the taxes with that money you don't have.

and feeding their wives to dragons.

dPB
Aug 2, 2006
Captain Awesome
Now that you can't pick up creatures does that mean no more pass the pig?

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

dPB posted:

Now that you can't pick up creatures does that mean no more pass the pig?

preorder canceled

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

preorder canceled
http://gfycat.com/CourageousImmaculateHarborporpoise

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

The room is ablaze!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

More beta bosses:

The last one is a mean dragon that spits water. Didn't manage to kill it since it's level 20.

Also, large trees can be climbed, not sure they realized the implications of that:

• Locked thread