Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Chaeden posted:

I wouldn't be so sure on the hidden saga being easy. Even with blue hurricane the one with Bardock is a pain in the rear end.

I actually found Broly easier than some of the stuff that came before him. My strategy by then had crystallized into 'fire off Perfect Kamehameha at literally anything, win', and there's not really much that the game throws at you to counter that. The mission against Freiza's cannon fodder above Planet Vegeta was arguably harder, but that's just because Perfect Kamehameha-ing your way to victory is harder when you're facing a hojillion targets.

The missions against the Saiyan families were harder for me, since both Vegeta and Future Trunks and Goku and Adult Gohan have pretty solid stunlock strategies that they tend to actually aim for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Why is it that perfect is so much better than super Kamehameha? I had to get to 70 to train with Goku and his trainer moveset is just so loving weak compared to stuff I was getting middle of the story path.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

The designer who brought up balance got laughed out of the design meeting then soon resigned.

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

You've lost that lovin' feeling,
Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....
They should have just had all ultimates of the same type (beam, AOE explosions, etc.) do the same damage, so I could take the less effective but cooler looking ones.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Are there any strike ultimates worth using?

Emong
May 31, 2011

perpair to be annihilated

Danaru posted:

Blue Hurricane, Justice Combination, and uh... Spirit Sword sometimes. That's all of them.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

Clever Spambot posted:

They should have just had all ultimates of the same type (beam, AOE explosions, etc.) do the same damage, so I could take the less effective but cooler looking ones.

Neo Tribeam disappointed the hell out of me since it feels like Weekend does so much more damage than it does.

I really need to get more ki ultimates on my little earthling ki-user.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Emong posted:

Blue Hurricane, Justice Combination, and uh... Spirit Sword sometimes. That's all of them.

I'd say Paralysis is pretty decent for PVE stuff at early to mid level stuff as well, especially if you don't have any of those yet, also that one Frieza move where you throw a bunch of rocks at people

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

Crabtree posted:

Why is it that perfect is so much better than super Kamehameha? I had to get to 70 to train with Goku and his trainer moveset is just so loving weak compared to stuff I was getting middle of the story path.

Perfect has more invulnerability during it's casting.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Danaru posted:

My Strike Friezaman doesn't even use ultimates anymore.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Drowning Rabbit posted:

Perfect has more invulnerability during it's casting.

Perfect also seems to have a more reliable hit rate and a wider beam.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Ometeotl posted:

My Strike Friezaman doesn't even use ultimates anymore.

Yeah, if I use Spirit Sword it is just for the rub-in.

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008

Cleretic posted:

I actually found Broly easier than some of the stuff that came before him. My strategy by then had crystallized into 'fire off Perfect Kamehameha at literally anything, win', and there's not really much that the game throws at you to counter that.

For me, I had just gotten Goku as a mentor when I unlocked the Broly saga, and found that he had a hilarious tendency to charge into Spirit Bombs over and over. That move has a painful windup and can be dodged, but if they're stupid enough to stand still for it the damage is brutal. It also helps that you can just hold off on firing it until they're invariably dumb enough to try attacking you directly, at which point it's hard to miss.

As for the Bardock mission above Planet Vegeta, remember that sprints leading into heavy attacks knock the enemy back a fair ways, as do most grabs - and grabs have very, very generous invincibility frames. If the enemies are a little too bunched up for your liking, sprint in and bitchslap one away, then grab and throw whatever is left. Keep in mind you can switch targets while in mid-throw animation without interrupting the throw, so that can be a good way of quickly cycling through nearby enemies and assessing the situation from relative safety.

Also, Great Storm all day every day.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Crabtree posted:

Super Kamehameha has a much faster startup. Perfect Kamehameha does significantly more damage and has a large beam, but it's so slow that it's practically screaming "hey, go ahead and take a minute to recover so you can dodge this". On the other hand, Super Kamehameha can be fired off fast enough that it's possible to combo into it. Same goes for other really good moves in single-player, like Giant Storm and Maximum Charge - slow startup and easy to dodge/interrupt, but the AI is just too stupid to exploit that, so the downsides are hardly noticeable.

Chaeden
Sep 10, 2012
For strike I like using Victory Rush now and then. Its not great but in pvp its EXCELLENT for surprising someone busy with someone else and in PVE it at least GETS you near them even if it leaves you open. And if it DOES land you'll get a couple hits in to go with it. For that though Shining Slash is DEFINITELY better if you can use it on your character and its not even a ultimate.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

They really need to revamp the lock-on system for future installments.

No, switch to the angry god pummeling your face in, doing 1/3 of your health per combo. No not your downed ally 500 miles away. NO! Not the loving area portal. Lock on to the loving angry god so I can phase out of the way for a counter attack you piece of poo poo!

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Jimbot posted:

They really need to revamp the lock-on system for future installments.

No, switch to the angry god pummeling your face in, doing 1/3 of your health per combo. No not your downed ally 500 miles away. NO! Not the loving area portal. Lock on to the loving angry god so I can phase out of the way for a counter attack you piece of poo poo!

I keep finding myself wishing there was a quick "lock on to whoever's closest" button, so I can actually face the rear end in a top hat punching me in the back of the head.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Chaeden posted:

For strike I like using Victory Rush now and then. Its not great but in pvp its EXCELLENT for surprising someone busy with someone else and in PVE it at least GETS you near them even if it leaves you open. And if it DOES land you'll get a couple hits in to go with it. For that though Shining Slash is DEFINITELY better if you can use it on your character and its not even a ultimate.

Victory rush is satisfying if you time it right so you teleport dodge past somebody's fuckoff ultra with it and land face first into them.

"Hmm, how do I, guy with 50 in every attack stat, beat this Super Saiyan doing nothing but spam chain destructo disk?... oh, right.... WOW this guy forgot to put any goddamned health on if I can practically one shot him with 50 strike super :downs:"

But you are likely better served by other moves and not being as poo poo at this as I am.

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

Covok posted:

I suggest playing online with a friend to beat some of the tougher PQs. There really isn't a way to make Tien spawn. All you can do is log-in and log-out repeatedly until he does.

My connection/computer is crap and I've been disconected from PQs on scene transitions. But he spawned and now i have the volleyball fist... which is pretty useless but looks kinda cool I guess?

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe
I finally beat PQ 32 last night after like two days of beating my head against it. That's honestly been the hardest part of the drat game for me so far. I could get through the first 2 fights well enough, but every time I got to the Goku and Gohan fight I'd be lucky if I could even move before they hit me with a constant plasma powered hate gently caress. I eventually got through it by equipping "Aren't I nice?", fighting pose A, and Mach Dash then preemptively Ultimate spamming them before they could spam me. Felt a little cheap, but I really don't care and I'm glad I'm past it.

Any fight against multiple Super Saiyans feels like kind of a pain do to the unending stream of baby blue bullshit. I got a good chuckle when I took Krillin with me on a mission were you have to fight SSJ Goku and Krillin just straight up told him he's cheating and Goku blows him off like a complete cockhead.

I am still enjoying the heck out of the game though. I have to say though that PQ 32 forced me to really figure out how to play my character and she's gone from pretty tough to a freaking demon

Veg
Oct 13, 2008

:smug::smug::xd:
Any word on World Tournament mode yet?

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.
So as a new player, what's the general progression of the game? Do the story quests, do the PQs as they come up, PVP when the mood strikes, since and repeat? Do I need to go out of my way to grind out skills and items on a first play through? I've just been sticking points in Basic Strikes, Stamina and Health.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

Geektox posted:

So as a new player, what's the general progression of the game? Do the story quests, do the PQs as they come up, PVP when the mood strikes, since and repeat? Do I need to go out of my way to grind out skills and items on a first play through? I've just been sticking points in Basic Strikes, Stamina and Health.

That, but you spot a move or clothing item in the rewards section of a PQ and play that level over and over until it drops, by which time you'll have levelled up enough for the next story mission to be manageable.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Geektox posted:

Step 1:Play story mode until you brick wall.
Step 2: Grind PQ for Item/Skill you want.
Step 3: Repeat Steps 1 and 2 until story mode completed then proceed to Step 4.
Step 4: Grind PQS for Crystal Shards.
Step 5: Play the hidden and DlC story until you brick wall.
Step 6: Grind PQ for Item/Skill you want.
Step 7: Repeat Steps 5 and 6 until hidden and DLC story completed.
Step 8: Grind Return of the Great Ape Festival until you go insane.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Geektox posted:

1) Play a few story missions
2) Some new PQs will unlock (usually at the end of a story saga)
3) Play all the new PQs and try to beat as many of them as you can (you can't always beat them all right away, there's a big difficulty spike around the Androids saga)
4) PQs don't drop all their potential rewards the first time you beat them, so if any of them listed a skill or outfit you want, play that one a few more times until you get the drop or get bored
5) When your interest in the PQs runs out, go play another saga worth of story

You shouldn't need to grind for items - the game's generous enough with its cash rewards. As for PvP, I'd recommend staying away until you're higher level and have a good selection of abilities, as players are much tougher foes than the AI.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Veg posted:

Any word on World Tournament mode yet?

They keep trying to start World Tournament mode, but keep missing the dice rolls that would allow them to.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
I have a couple of questions:

1) How many Attribute points corresponds to a full bar of Ki? I have a partially started bar and I'd like to finish it without wasting any extra points.
2) Does having more Ki bars affect anything, like your Ki recharge rate (if you have one)?

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Some Numbers posted:

1) How many Attribute points corresponds to a full bar of Ki? I have a partially started bar and I'd like to finish it without wasting any extra points.
2) Does having more Ki bars affect anything, like your Ki recharge rate (if you have one)?

1) 25 points per bar, but clothing that boosts Ki obviously effects this.
2) IIRC, Ki recharges at the same rate per bar regardless of how much you have, so if you have like 8 bars of Ki it will take longer to get to full than someone who has six.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

1) 25 points per bar, but clothing that boosts Ki obviously effects this.
2) IIRC, Ki recharges at the same rate per bar regardless of how much you have, so if you have like 8 bars of Ki it will take longer to get to full than someone who has six.

e: Actually misremembered. Stamina is the one that refills in 8 seconds regardless of amount.

Kild fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Jul 16, 2015

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Kild posted:

The 2nd part is false. It regens as a % so you'll take the same time to regen a full bar regardless of how many bars you have.

If the regen rate is a flat % and never changes, then Radish is also correct: generating 8 bars will take longer than generating 6.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Some Numbers posted:

If the regen rate is a flat % and never changes, then Radish is also correct: generating 8 bars will take longer than generating 6.

A percent is a percent but I misremembered anyway and it was Stamina that was like that.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Kild posted:

A percent is a percent but I misremembered anyway and it was Stamina that was like that.

Sure, but X% of one bar and X% of your max Ki are different figures.

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises

Some Numbers posted:

Here, just use this calculator.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
How do you guys feel about cosmetic things changing stats? I don't mind it, but my friend couldn't stand it at all.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

I don't like it but I don't think it's that big of a deal. I still dress like an idiot, but now I just have to actually try at times.

Besides, armor and clothing having stats lets me spot tryhards in pvp by sight, so I immediately know what to look out for.

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot

Covok posted:

How do you guys feel about cosmetic things changing stats? I don't mind it, but my friend couldn't stand it at all.

I wouldn't mind it if there was a social item slot so you could look however the hell you want while not being weaker.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

That's my preferred way of doing it. Or they could have had zsouls be the only things that give you extra stats.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Pyroi posted:

Here, just use this calculator.

Thanks, that'll be really helpful.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

djw175 posted:

I wouldn't mind it if there was a social item slot so you could look however the hell you want while not being weaker.

There'd still be the problem of height and body type affecting stats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008
I'm not crazy about it, honestly, but the Four-Star costume suits my playstyle reasonably well and doesn't look awful. I can't complain too much. Honestly, I would probably stick with the default gi human females get at character creation if clothing stats weren't a thing; I kind of enjoy the simplicity of the design.

• Locked thread