Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
God drat it, my ally "helped" me by giving me Friesland, causing a giant coalition to form. It was the only province I needed to form the Netherlands, but I was still Admin tech 7, so no rush, I'll wait 10 years for AE to tick down. Then my stupid ally gets into a stupid war, and the second I siege Friesland he separate peaces them and gives it to me before I could transfer control.

Then the coalition was so successful it put me back to square one. Basically what I'm saying is East Frisia is a jerk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Contrecoup
Mar 30, 2015
So my endgame is fun. Scandinavia utterly demolished in a fee separate wars, and had The Revolution happen. Of course, the disaster being what it is means that I can just walk into Stockholm largely unopposed, take a nice ski vacation before reinstating the monarchy, and soak up ludicrous amounts of Prestige from the modifier.

At which point Scandinavia is so destitute and humiliated that Revolutionary Rebels are lighting fire to Stockholm before my armies even get back to Italy.

Also the Ottomans have steamrollered eastern Europe and could easily take the West if they had a mind to because the AI refuses to cooperate with me on anything.

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

gently caress EVE and dei gratia don't mix wrt ideas. How hard would making a compatability patch be?

irc dei gratia has a modular religious idea, but when i load it with EVE, which moved plutocratic to adm, all 4 religious ideas show up but no plutocratic.

PrinceRandom fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Jul 13, 2015

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Poil posted:

Master of the mint is unreliable at best, too much rng and I don't want to spend several treasure fleets worth of cash to dismiss advisors and maybe get one. Certainly not since even if the correct advisor shows up he might just be a crappy level 1 or an overly expensive level 3.

To be fair it's not nearly as cumbersome/random/expensive as you're making it sound, especially if you're at a point in the game where you're getting treasure fleets coming to you on any kind of regular basis. It's pretty easy to game which advisors you get and at what level. You just leave two "wrong" advisors at the levels you don't want, and then the guy you'll actually want will have a decent chance to come in and will most likely be at the level that you left open. You still get situations where it takes 5-6 tries to get the guy, but it's really not that bad all things considered.

Also wrapped up my Sweden's not Overpowered/Lion of the North game today :toot:

I really wish GB had some special AI behavior coded in or something that would make them way more aggressive when it comes to sending troops oversees. They constantly broke in my game and would just sit there with 50-60k men, not sending anyone over the channel. At least their boats helped when it came time for the league war I guess, but it sure would have been nice to have their 75k men actually pitch in or put any kind of pressure on France. Oh well.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

So the other day while playing as the Ottomans I had a problem where an army got attacked and completely wiped for reasons I couldn't figure it out. The army I sent to reinforce it (which was late by two days) also got wiped when it was defeated. The two armies I sent in right after also got wiped and I'm not even sure how they lost against an enemy they outnumbered, outteched, out disciplined, was already suffering heavy morale damage, and in terrain that wasn't horrible (just woods, no river crossing).

Today as England I once again got hit (this time in some mountains) by an Austrian army twice my size. Stack wiped, reinforcements a day late, stack wiped. I stopped two armies right outside before they went in too. Austria attacked both of them, somehow defeated them (this time equal numbers, non-horrible terrain, Austrian morale still really bad), stack wiped my two armies. In a game month I lost nearly the entirety of my land military to stack wipes. I've got no clue what's going on.

e: And the manpower didn't return? We're talking 160k soldiers between these four armies and my manpower is 30k out of 127k.

e2: To clarify, in my first example I was in enemy territory next to my own territory. In the England/Austria example the first two stack wipes were in Austrian territory next to Austrian territory, and the third stackwipe was in my own territory next to more of my own territory. So I'm not sure what's causing these stackwipes at all.

e3: My final army got stackwiped. Christ, this is beyond frustrating.

TTBF fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Jul 13, 2015

Deutsch Nozzle
Mar 29, 2008

#1 Macklemore fan
Is there any way to encourage vassals to fabricate claims? As France, I'm trying to feed provinces to my marches Flanders and Luxembourg. However, they accept the Unlawful Territory demand from Austria for any provinces that they didn't have a claim on.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

When I use "sow discontent" on an enemy, I get a -200 value in the diplomacy section of the info bar, and it slowly ticks positive. Do the +3 unrest/-1 legitimacy start taking effect immediately, or do I have to wait for that value to go positive for the covert activity to take effect?

Also, I'm trying to come up with a strategy to be a late minor colonizer. I'm playing as Bohemia and lucked into a PU with Pomerania pretty early on- ending up with the area around 1517. It's now ~1575 and I'm a little bit away from getting my next idea group, but I suspect even if I try to rush exploration I'll still be too far away from any provinces to set up as a waypoint. Also I have a navy limit of about 15. no naval ideas and no real anything going for me in terms of a real navy. Any thoughts on how I could "safely" gat a small Czech colony or 2 out amongst the world? Should I take try to find a CB against Norway and take Iceland? Or should I just wait until much later and find a weak independent colony or group of natives to land an army on?

aeglus
Jul 13, 2003

WEEK 1 - RETIRED

Deutsch Nozzle posted:

Is there any way to encourage vassals to fabricate claims? As France, I'm trying to feed provinces to my marches Flanders and Luxembourg. However, they accept the Unlawful Territory demand from Austria for any provinces that they didn't have a claim on.

I'm pretty sure that you need to have a core on the province in order to avoid Unlawful Territory demands, so I think you'll have to take the provinces yourself, take them out of the HRE, then sell them or console them over if you want to avoid that.

Deutsch Nozzle
Mar 29, 2008

#1 Macklemore fan
Well my vassals will deny the demand if they had a claim on the province, it's just that they don't seem too keen on fabricating the claims to begin with.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

So I'm playing a Denmark/Scandinavia run, once again trying not to ever touch the console. I'm not using to playing a country that isn't rich or isn't on an end-node. Money is super tight, and all my provinces are wheat producing garbage or frozen mountains that cost an arm and a leg to develop. I've united all of scandinavia quite quickly, just waiting for the right admin level to form Scandinavia (which seems to come with no special bonuses really, just a new flag). Other than playing the colonial game, what is there to do? I don't want to mess with the HRE to try to get more control over Lubec, and any expansion beyond Sweden/Norway isn't even in the same culture group. Since my trade goods are all garbage I've basically just been sinking adm into upgrading my base tax and building temples everywhere and squeezing what little trade I can out of Lubec.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Baronjutter posted:

So I'm playing a Denmark/Scandinavia run, once again trying not to ever touch the console. I'm not using to playing a country that isn't rich or isn't on an end-node. Money is super tight, and all my provinces are wheat producing garbage or frozen mountains that cost an arm and a leg to develop. I've united all of scandinavia quite quickly, just waiting for the right admin level to form Scandinavia (which seems to come with no special bonuses really, just a new flag). Other than playing the colonial game, what is there to do? I don't want to mess with the HRE to try to get more control over Lubec, and any expansion beyond Sweden/Norway isn't even in the same culture group. Since my trade goods are all garbage I've basically just been sinking adm into upgrading my base tax and building temples everywhere and squeezing what little trade I can out of Lubec.

Recreate the Viking invasion of Great Britain.

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.

Baronjutter posted:

You might get Sweden's missions to control the Baltic. Once you're able to project on the far Baltic Coast, you can mess with Russia etc. or destablise the HRE by joining the Protestant League.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

PittTheElder posted:

• Remove most of the colonist granting ideas from the idea lines, and give them to the historical colonizers. I'd leave one in Exploration, but only one. Slow down colonization in general.

Maybe put exploration missions and colonization missions on a cooldown timer? It feels weird and cheesy that I can basically spam my explorer to check out everything they have range to instantly after they finish up their last mission. I wish I had a good idea for how to slow down the revealing of provinces via coastal exploration and conquistadors...basically one leader makes you a kid in a candy shop for hundreds of places to fill up with colonies, and I kind of suspect even with the news of "there's a big empty continent over there!" that is a bit of an exaggeration of historical effect...

I think you could also maybe make something like Vicky-2's habitability (minimal life rating) mechanic to slow things down.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Obliterati posted:

You might get Sweden's missions to control the Baltic. Once you're able to project on the far Baltic Coast, you can mess with Russia etc. or destablise the HRE by joining the Protestant League.

Out of boredom I went over and conquered estonia and finland and am currently gearing up to "mess with" Muskovy/Teutonic Order. I guess I'm just sort of sick of blobbing and wanted to play tall, but it seems playing tall with a bunch of lovely frozen mountains and wheat fields is a bit tricky.

Every game I play always goes: Conquer/blob to 99% control an end node, colonize like crazy and feed that node, continue to blob, huge coalition war in the 1800's that kills millions and accomplishes little.

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Jul 13, 2015

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

PittTheElder posted:

There's so many things I'd like to tinker with if, with varying degrees of possibility. In no particular order:
[*]Remove most of the colonist granting ideas from the idea lines, and give them to the historical colonizers. I'd leave one in Exploration, but only one. Slow down colonization in general.
[*]Buff the Ottomans. Whenever they wind up in an early fight against multiple European powers (usually because they attacked Genoa), they get crushed. Although if the problem of the AI marching its entire army across continents got fixed, this likely wouldn't be necessary.
[/list]

An extremely Eurocentric list, but that's just where I usually play. China could as always be represented better, but I'm not sure how.

this seems like a bad idea they'd try to do in MEIOU. I'd like more possible colonizers. If'd you could like randomize ideas or AI priorities it'd be cool.

aeglus
Jul 13, 2003

WEEK 1 - RETIRED

Baronjutter posted:

Out of boredom I went over and conquered estonia and finland and am currently gearing up to "mess with" Muskovy/Teutonic Order. I guess I'm just sort of sick of blobbing and wanted to play tall, but it seems playing tall with a bunch of lovely frozen mountains and wheat fields is a bit tricky.

Every game I play always goes: Conquer/blob to 99% control an end node, colonize like crazy and feed that node, continue to blob, huge coalition war in the 1800's that kills millions and accomplishes little.

So basically just like real history!

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Anyone got a good recommendation for a campaign that starts relatively small but isn't super difficult?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

StashAugustine posted:

Anyone got a good recommendation for a campaign that starts relatively small but isn't super difficult?

England is a fairly safe and simple start. Portugal or spain are good too. Playing a dutch minor and forming netherlands can be fun. HRE can be a safe little playground too.

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

Ayuhatta?

Thinking non Western

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

TTBF posted:

So the other day while playing as the Ottomans I had a problem where an army got attacked and completely wiped for reasons I couldn't figure it out. The army I sent to reinforce it (which was late by two days) also got wiped when it was defeated. The two armies I sent in right after also got wiped and I'm not even sure how they lost against an enemy they outnumbered, outteched, out disciplined, was already suffering heavy morale damage, and in terrain that wasn't horrible (just woods, no river crossing).

Today as England I once again got hit (this time in some mountains) by an Austrian army twice my size. Stack wiped, reinforcements a day late, stack wiped. I stopped two armies right outside before they went in too. Austria attacked both of them, somehow defeated them (this time equal numbers, non-horrible terrain, Austrian morale still really bad), stack wiped my two armies. In a game month I lost nearly the entirety of my land military to stack wipes. I've got no clue what's going on.

e: And the manpower didn't return? We're talking 160k soldiers between these four armies and my manpower is 30k out of 127k.

e2: To clarify, in my first example I was in enemy territory next to my own territory. In the England/Austria example the first two stack wipes were in Austrian territory next to Austrian territory, and the third stackwipe was in my own territory next to more of my own territory. So I'm not sure what's causing these stackwipes at all.

e3: My final army got stackwiped. Christ, this is beyond frustrating.

These stories literally never come with screenshots.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

PrinceRandom posted:

this seems like a bad idea they'd try to do in MEIOU. I'd like more possible colonizers. If'd you could like randomize ideas or AI priorities it'd be cool.

Who exactly do you want to see colonizing? It's not a coincidence that all the major colonizers are right there on the Atlantic rim/are Russia.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Is there even a point to colonizing if you don't control the lion's share of the trade node the colonies are feeding? The tariffs you get from colonies are nearly worthless no?

Space Pussy
Feb 19, 2011

Deutsch Nozzle posted:

Seems fairly random. Recently I vassalized Silesia and they were getting claims on every single border Bohemian/Polish province while I fed them. Meanwhile Kiev, my March, never grabbed any claims in like 75 years.

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

PittTheElder posted:

Who exactly do you want to see colonizing? It's not a coincidence that all the major colonizers are right there on the Atlantic rim/are Russia.

italy
poland
mali
ottomans

I know why colonization happened irl, but as a game, seeing the same people in the same places gets boring.

until Gooniversalis comes out and I can see colorful patches in the new world.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
It kinda seems like the people that like lucky nations like historical outcomes, so they could just add a toggle that when you turn it off, it randomizes it so some current colonizers won't pick the ideas, and some teams that normally don't will.

James The 1st
Feb 23, 2013
Holy cow, you can get so stinking wealthy from dominating the Asia and Africa trade routes. I'm getting so much money that I I can just build manufactures everywhere!

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Baronjutter posted:

Is there even a point to colonizing if you don't control the lion's share of the trade node the colonies are feeding? The tariffs you get from colonies are nearly worthless no?

The payback is near zero. And you would be expending effort to build/expand them, an act that would always be fruitless, because you would never be able to safeguard your supply lines to defend them. It's why having someone like Poland, various Italians, or the Ottomans in the new world wouldn't make any sense.

PrinceRandom posted:

I know why colonization happened irl, but as a game, seeing the same people in the same places gets boring.

I strongly disagree (such are opinions), I think it's way more fun to fiddle around as a minor in a roughly historical world. Conversely, I find seeing basically the same non-historical result very tedious; the game as it stands already produces a reasonably repeatable outcome, and I don't understand for the life of me why it isn't tuned to produce something close to how reality turned out.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Ottomans could benefit a lot from colonizing into the Indian Ocean and East Africa. They'd need to tear through the Mamluks a lot faster than they do right now for it to be feasible though.

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

Koramei posted:

It kinda seems like the people that like lucky nations like historical outcomes, so they could just add a toggle that when you turn it off, it randomizes it so some current colonizers won't pick the ideas, and some teams that normally don't will.

That'd be good and cool, yea.

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS

PrinceRandom posted:

gently caress EVE and dei gratia don't mix wrt ideas. How hard would making a compatability patch be?

irc dei gratia has a modular religious idea, but when i load it with EVE, which moved plutocratic to adm, all 4 religious ideas show up but no plutocratic.
Plutocratic is probably still there, it's just not showing up because the UI doesn't have enough space for that many ideas.
At least, IIRC from Dei Gratia, if you take an Admin idea, one of the religious ideas that wasn't there before pops up in its place. Unless Dharper changed how they work, I haven't played it in a little bit.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Knuc U Kinte posted:

These stories literally never come with screenshots.

Taking a screenshot didn't really come to mind, but I'll make sure to do so if it happens again. I was posting partly to vent and partially hoping someone would point out there was some criteria for getting stack wiped I missed.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

TTBF posted:

Taking a screenshot didn't really come to mind, but I'll make sure to do so if it happens again. I was posting partly to vent and partially hoping someone would point out there was some criteria for getting stack wiped I missed.

It's hard to say without seeing a screenshot for more info. The obvious cause would be having your armies at less than full maintenance.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

I didn't know that would cause it, but they were definitely at full or near full (99% or wherever I may have accidentally let go of the mouse button early) maintenance. Is there a certain point at which they're vastly outnumbered that they get wiped instantly? Maybe they just suffered heavy casualties fast enough that it hit that point?

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

Poil posted:

Of course it is. :v:

I had a 15 year old ascend to the throne, and I was waiting for an heir... and he died, sparking a succession war between Austria and Poland. I could not get anyone to support my independence.

I lost a Byzantium game because of a succession war. Not because of the god drat Ottomans.

e: If I try this again, does anyone have a suggestion for a national idea path to take as the Byzantines? Religious would synergize well as a first pick, but my economy is really piss poor at the beginning. Constantinople is a decent trade node, maybe Religious/Administrative -> Trade -> Offensive/Defensive.

Node fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Jul 13, 2015

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

TTBF posted:

I didn't know that would cause it, but they were definitely at full or near full (99% or wherever I may have accidentally let go of the mouse button early) maintenance. Is there a certain point at which they're vastly outnumbered that they get wiped instantly? Maybe they just suffered heavy casualties fast enough that it hit that point?

Someone else will correct me if I'm wrong but pretty sure stack wipes occur when:

1) All of your army's morale is depleted after the first two dice rolls (6 days). You can take advantage of this yourself to wipe enemy stacks, send in one large army, send another in to arrive exactly 6 days (or fewer) later.

2) Your army is 10% the size of the opponents or smaller.

It's possible that you just got really unlucky with dice rolls and had all your morale depleted in the first few days, but that seems unlikely if you're at tech parity and sending similarly sized armies against each other in not-terrible terrain. If you're not running at full maintenance that dramatically reduces your morale and it's much easier to get wiped. Again it's easier to show screenshots :)

Trundel
Mar 13, 2005

:10bux: + :awesomelon: = :roboluv:
- a sound investment!
Running a Brunei game and was quick enough to get a colony next to a Portugal core on Sierra Leone. Karou just became a full province but the Westernization button is greyed out. Is the wiki right that the sum of my tech has to be 7 or less than the sum of their tech in order to Westernize?

Arzakon
Nov 24, 2002

"I hereby retire from Mafia"
Please turbo me if you catch me in a game.

Trundel posted:

Running a Brunei game and was quick enough to get a colony next to a Portugal core on Sierra Leone. Karou just became a full province but the Westernization button is greyed out. Is the wiki right that the sum of my tech has to be 7 or less than the sum of their tech in order to Westernize?

You can't westernize off anything they put into a trade company. So Africa/Asia is useless and you have to either colonize next to them in America or Australia or take one of their provinces (anywhere) and core it.

Yashichi
Oct 22, 2010

Trundel posted:

Portugal's province is probably a trade company, which you can't westernize from.

e: beaten like the mamluks by the ottomans

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

What's the best way to help your colonial nation (Bharalia :downs:) win a war if you enforcing peace isn't an option due to their overlord (England) being way stronger than me (Bharat)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Trundel posted:

I had this happen to me once, and it turned out the culprit was the enemy's goddamn 6 shock leader.

• Locked thread