Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

If you want another quick charger this is a good price http://slickdeals.net/f/7970623-ank...m-free-shipping

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I'm trying to transfer my stuff over from my old HTC sensation to my new LG G2. In the T-Mobile thread, they recommended LG Backup. I downloaded it, but now when I run it, it immediately crashes. Any ideas?

It just occurred to me as I was typing this, did I need to back the phone up before I switched the SIM? Is there anything I can use for backup that doesn't need the SIM in? I mostly just want contacts, text history, and pictures. Apps, music, ebooks, I'm fine loading back on.

Secondary, is there any way to keep my phone synced up with google without getting a phone contact made for every single email I have ever sent to anyone? I have about five screens worth of craigslist contacts at this point.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

FordPRefectLL posted:

what's the best droid turbo tempered glass screen protector? i ordered one on amazon before and it didn't fit and i had that verizon flexible glass one for a bit but it got scratched up pretty bad.
I don't have a Turbo, but based on my experience with the Moto X 2013, Mime is the way to go http://mimeusa.com/product/droid-turbo-ghost-glass-screen-protector/

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe

DangerZoneDelux posted:

If you want another quick charger this is a good price http://slickdeals.net/f/7970623-ank...m-free-shipping

Got one, thanks for the heads up!

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
For some reason, the Motorola video player decided it should be the default player for wmv files on my 2014 Moto X. Problem is that app doesn't show up in the apps list so I can reset its defaults, and it crashes on wmvs. How can I fix this? I want to use MX Player like I do for other video types.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

hooah posted:

For some reason, the Motorola video player decided it should be the default player for wmv files on my 2014 Moto X. Problem is that app doesn't show up in the apps list so I can reset its defaults, and it crashes on wmvs. How can I fix this? I want to use MX Player like I do for other video types.

Is that not just part of Gallery?

berzerker
Aug 18, 2004
"If I could not go to heaven but with a party, I would not go there at all."
For the past ~2 weeks on my Nexus 5, Google Maps finds my GPS just fine, but other programs (Runkeeper, Endmondo, Strava, GPS Test) don't get anything at all. Once in a while, eventually one of the running apps will finally grab a signal, but only after a long time and unreliably. This all started around the time I installed Google Fit and started using it, and Fit counts my steps and tells me how far I walked just fine. I don't see any way to uninstall Fit to see if that fixes things somehow, and anyway I don't see any google results for people having similar problems.

After a while, I followed the instructions of a video on pulling the back off of my N5 and putting a piece of cardboard under the GPS antenna piece to make it hit the contacts more firmly, but no change after doing that.

Is this something someone else has encountered? I'm in a relatively new city at the moment, but I don't see how that should have any impact on my phone's ability to find GPS, and it's worked just fine in every other city I've been in.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

hooah posted:

wmv files

WHAT YEAR IS IT??

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Is that not just part of Gallery?

I thought so, but the "reset defaults" button for Gallery was inactive, which I think means it doesn't have any.

RZA Encryption posted:

WHAT YEAR IS IT??

Hey, they're older files, OK?

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!

berzerker posted:

For the past ~2 weeks on my Nexus 5, Google Maps finds my GPS just fine, but other programs (Runkeeper, Endmondo, Strava, GPS Test) don't get anything at all. Once in a while, eventually one of the running apps will finally grab a signal, but only after a long time and unreliably. This all started around the time I installed Google Fit and started using it, and Fit counts my steps and tells me how far I walked just fine. I don't see any way to uninstall Fit to see if that fixes things somehow, and anyway I don't see any google results for people having similar problems.

After a while, I followed the instructions of a video on pulling the back off of my N5 and putting a piece of cardboard under the GPS antenna piece to make it hit the contacts more firmly, but no change after doing that.

Is this something someone else has encountered? I'm in a relatively new city at the moment, but I don't see how that should have any impact on my phone's ability to find GPS, and it's worked just fine in every other city I've been in.

About all I can think of is to try GPS Status which I believe will force a download of the assistance data which might help since you are in a new location, but it should have been downloaded anyway. Google Maps is probably getting a fix through wifi. You didn't manage to turn off high accuracy or something in the system Location settings by any chance?

berzerker
Aug 18, 2004

Red Warrior posted:

About all I can think of is to try GPS Status which I believe will force a download of the assistance data which might help since you are in a new location, but it should have been downloaded anyway. Google Maps is probably getting a fix through wifi. You didn't manage to turn off high accuracy or something in the system Location settings by any chance?

Hmm, I just tried putting it on "device only" mode, which uses just the GPS and not the cell antennas, and now Google Maps isn't see anything either. I wonder if my actual GPS is busted and it's just been getting by on the Wifi + cell antennas for a while without my noticing since I'm in a city, so there are a lot of both types of signal.

That sucks if so, I bought this in October 2013 from the Play store so I think it's out of any kind of warranty.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
Call them, Google does a one time replacement of nexus 5's from the play store, no warranty needed.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

uPen posted:

Call them, Google does a one time replacement of nexus 5's from the play store, no warranty needed.

This is a case by case basis and they did not do it for me.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Don Lapre posted:

Yeah they emphasize the "just being nice, not obligated" aspect pretty hard.

When I did it for a cracked screen I was like "you guys are awesome and I'm definitely buying an N6 when it comes out" (this was a month before the announcement".
Then pricing was announced and I was like "haha nope". :(

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

berzerker posted:

Hmm, I just tried putting it on "device only" mode, which uses just the GPS and not the cell antennas, and now Google Maps isn't see anything either. I wonder if my actual GPS is busted and it's just been getting by on the Wifi + cell antennas for a while without my noticing since I'm in a city, so there are a lot of both types of signal.
Device only mode can take up to 20 minutes, if the device doesn't have orbital data, because then it has to download it via the GPS signal at a stunning 50 bits per second.

Fruit Chewy
Feb 13, 2012
join whole squid

Don Lapre posted:

Is it even remotely possible that they would do anything for my 2 year old busted n5? The screen will just come on blank like 90% of the time until I do a hard reset and then it'll work for like an hour maybe. It's got significant physical wear and tear on it though, the plastic ring around the outside is cracked in several places and even missing a bit of plastic around the sim slot - so it's not like this is just a hardware defect when this phone has definitely been through some serious poo poo including getting bent at a 5 degree iphone-bendgate angle in my back pocket on a 400ft drop coaster.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Oh yeah, absolutely

100%

Fruit Chewy
Feb 13, 2012
join whole squid

Skarsnik posted:

Oh yeah, absolutely

100%

Hey, you never know :v:

I'm just annoyed that there's nothing really compelling in the Nexus 5 price bracket until the rumored Nexus 5 refresh. It's just a tossup between the Z3 compact and a bunch of weird east-asian phones (xiaomi, alcatel, ???), none of which seem to have good AOSP or even CM support. I'm basically looking at getting another N5 or a Moto X 2014 or something, but none of them are particularly compelling upgrades.

Edit: How good of a buy is the 2014 moto X with the summer discount they're running compared to similar pricepoint things like the zenfone and z3c?

Fruit Chewy fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Jul 14, 2015

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Combat Pretzel posted:

Device only mode can take up to 20 minutes, if the device doesn't have orbital data, because then it has to download it via the GPS signal at a stunning 50 bits per second.
Does "Device only" definitely disable AGPS? I thought it just stopped using cell tower and Wi-Fi networks for location purposes.

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

berzerker posted:

That sucks if so, I bought this in October 2013 from the Play store so I think it's out of any kind of warranty.

I had the same problem - I tried the paper under the antenna trick and it worked for a few days, then nothing. Bought a new back for ~$20 off Amazon and now it works perfectly. I put a folded piece of paper under the antenna in the new back just to be sure it was making solid contact.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Fruit Chewy posted:

Is it even remotely possible that they would do anything for my 2 year old busted n5? The screen will just come on blank like 90% of the time until I do a hard reset and then it'll work for like an hour maybe. It's got significant physical wear and tear on it though, the plastic ring around the outside is cracked in several places and even missing a bit of plastic around the sim slot - so it's not like this is just a hardware defect when this phone has definitely been through some serious poo poo including getting bent at a 5 degree iphone-bendgate angle in my back pocket on a 400ft drop coaster.

Call them? I dropped mine onto bricks from around 7-8' and had a huge crack running through the whole screen. Called them said 'hey I'm an idiot and broke it what can you do' and they swapped it out for what I assume is a refurbished one for free.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

You know how Android says "Optimizing apps" when doing an Android update, even if it's a minor version increment? What exactly is it doing? My apps have been optimized so many time I gotta think they're as optimized as they can get.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

regulargonzalez posted:

You know how Android says "Optimizing apps" when doing an Android update, even if it's a minor version increment? What exactly is it doing? My apps have been optimized so many time I gotta think they're as optimized as they can get.

Rebuilding the java cache.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
To expand a little, Android's Java virtual machine changed to an ahead-of-time compilation with 5.0, so any time the system changes, apps need to be recompiled, where before they were compiled something like each time they ran.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Thanks for the info, makes sense.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

There's a stupid idiotic benchmark of the fabled Nexus 5 2015 going around. Given the numbers, it's obviously bullshit. Still, I'd finally like to see some tangible rumors whether LG will actually make one or not, and maybe some hints what it'll look like. Ideally before the Nexus 6 will be discontinued.

Tunga posted:

Does "Device only" definitely disable AGPS? I thought it just stopped using cell tower and Wi-Fi networks for location purposes.
I'm not sure, but the few times I tried it, I had the phone never get a signal under several minutes when starting GPS cold.

I think AGPS is just a nice umbrella term for software-assisted accelerated signal acquisition.

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!

Combat Pretzel posted:

There's a stupid idiotic benchmark of the fabled Nexus 5 2015 going around. Given the numbers, it's obviously bullshit. Still, I'd finally like to see some tangible rumors whether LG will actually make one or not, and maybe some hints what it'll look like. Ideally before the Nexus 6 will be discontinued.

I thought the LG Nexus this year had been confirmed through the time honored tradition of an AOSP commit.

Yeah, here:
http://www.androidpolice.com/2015/0...-name-bullhead/

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Nice. Hopefully the battery will be beyond 3Ah in the final specs, tho.

berzerker
Aug 18, 2004
The only spec I care about improving is battery life. Why would I need a fancier display than the current Nexus 5? That's just going to drain the battery all the faster, and the battery is my only complaint about the current model. Maybe someone watches a ton of TV on their phone but I sure don't, not least because it would drain the poo poo out of my battery.

Basically, someone should just go ahead and invent a massive leap forward in battery technology, already.

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

berzerker posted:

Basically, someone should just go ahead and invent a massive leap forward in battery technology, already.

They already have. Did you see some of the stuff at CES this year? The problem is they aren't tested and ready for the massive global scale required for smartphones.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

New phone announced:

5.5-inch IPS 1920×1080 display
1.7 GHz Mediatek 64-bit octa-core processor with ARM Mali T760 GPU
3000 mAh battery
13-megapixel f/2.0 rear camera
8-megapixel front camera

It's called the Commodore PET.

http://www.wired.com/2015/07/commodore-smartphone/

This is real life.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

So Commodore's holding company printed their name on some AliBaba special?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Uhhhhhhhhhh didn't Commodore go bellyup in like the early 90s?!

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!

Endless Mike posted:

So Commodore's holding company printed their name on some AliBaba special?

Yeah I'm a huge Commodore guy, got two C64s and an Amiga 1200 next to me here, but I wouldn't give these guys 5 cents, doesn't have anything to do with the real Commodore.

Maybe if a bunch of actual ex-Commodore engineers were the ones involved and actually doing something innovative and special I might care.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Rastor posted:

New phone announced:

5.5-inch IPS 1920×1080 display
1.7 GHz Mediatek 64-bit octa-core processor with ARM Mali T760 GPU
3000 mAh battery
13-megapixel f/2.0 rear camera
8-megapixel front camera

It's called the Commodore PET.

http://www.wired.com/2015/07/commodore-smartphone/

This is real life.

quote:

Although nostalgia is not the core of the product, there is of course room for retro gaming. The Commodore PET runs a custom version of Android 5.0 Lollipop and two preinstalled emulators.

Haha

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

I guess now that innovation has flatlined they have to go backwards like everything else. C64 was my jam, I had that instead of an NES, but that phone is worse than my N6 so no interest.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

We have, apparently, reach peak phone design convergence.

http://www.droid-life.com/2015/07/14/2015-phone-design/

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
I just upgraded from a Galaxy S4 to an S6 and in going through the migration process the one thing that's always bugged me is the loving contact list.

With my work and person gmail accounts, facebook, linkedin and regular phone contacts, it seems to have mutated into a gigantic mess and i'm always paranoid that i end up dropping one between swapping phones. How do you guys typically handle yours? Like is there a way to just synch every contact from every source into my personal gmail contact list or something and then when it comes to the multi account thing it just ignores the duplicates?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
You can use the menu in the contacts app to link duplicate contacts together. It'll merge all relevant data into one display page.