Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
It's neat, but I'm never much bothered to go out of my way to re-unlock it after each update. Even before its nerf, it wasn't significantly better or more fun than everyone else. It isn't one of my favorites but I like to do runs with it when I have it, which is more than I can say about some of the cast.

e: vv Yes, but also killing it is a pain for a scrub baby player like me.

SkeletonHero fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Jul 12, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Thing is, killing horror nets you quite a bit more rads than you would get from opening 2 rad containers. It's can be worthwhile to do even if you don't care about the unlock.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Mr. Despair posted:

Thing is, killing horror nets you quite a bit more rads than you would get from opening 2 rad containers. It's can be worthwhile to do even if you don't care about the unlock.

My only main issue is how easy you could accidentally pop open the containers. Like, whether it's corpses, scorpion shots, end-of-level portals... you get the idea.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Speaking of horror...

http://i.imgur.com/DLi9SpR.png

That's Horror in a crown vault. Obviously I forgot to pick up the rad-tank in 3-1 and then went inside before I could get the one in 3-2. The little green fucker barreled down that corridor so fast it scared the poo poo out of me.

I guess the game took pity on me though because my next run I successfully looped for the second time (Robot with Minigun/Heavy Autocrossbow) and got as far as 1-3 before twitchy nervousness sent me straight into a Big Bandit. :(

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

If anyone has missed this: http://www.twitch.tv/smitetv

Big Nuclear Throne race tournament is entering the 3rd set of groups on Smite's channel at 4pm est. Each runner has a set amount of time to beat the first form of the throne on 3 separate pre-chosen characters. The top X% of combined run times goes on to the next round, where there will be 3 new characters etc. They've already put up some ridiculous times.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

SkeletonHero posted:

It's neat, but I'm never much bothered to go out of my way to re-unlock it after each update. Even before its nerf, it wasn't significantly better or more fun than everyone else.
It was though. Rad beam is(was?) basically the best defensive option in the game vs. projectiles and it's a free pass for lil hunter, ballguy mama... basically any boss, even moreso than plant. And on top of all that you have a better chance of getting the build you want for postgame.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:killing:
That's all true, I guess, but Horror doesn't have an on-demand airhorn button. :colbert:

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

Funny Little Guy Aficionado.
Few question I've been meaning to ask since I suck

SO, is there any redeeming value to the Slugger?

Why's Plutonium Hunger useful?

What are you acutally supposed to do to kill Lil Hunter? I can't clear out an area big enough to fight him in fast enough. I know 'strafe' but generally while I'm doing that something else kills me.

Gloryhold It!
Sep 22, 2008

Fucking
Adorable
Slugger's pretty powerful single target damage, and can bounce off walls. Does more damage up close, and works well with trigger fingers or stress.

Plutonium hunger makes it so that you don't have to extend yourself into dangerous situations to get the health or ammo you need.

For Lil Hunter, use cover. Pop out, peg him, then pop back in. Also peg him when he lands from his rocket jumps. Also kill the IDPD spawns as quickly as you can so you don't have to deal with their quick rear end bullets too.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Neopie posted:

It's one of the best single early through midgame weapons? Kills most enemies in one hit all the way through frozen city, kills the others in 2-3 hits, always 2 with scarier face(minus bosses of course). One of the most reliable weapons to get early on along with the crossbow, I consider the two pretty interchangable since they have very similar damage and reload.

Don't run out into groups with the slugger/crossbow, kill one enemy at a time from the edge of your range. Only run in when they're all dead, it doesn't actually matter much if you miss some rads.

Neopie posted:

It sucks in HP packs and ammo when you get close to them so in an emergency you don't have to actually walk over them. I think it's the single most important mutation on loop, because the density of enemies and bullets makes actually grabbing HP much more risky, and it's decent before then too.

Neopie posted:

What are you acutally supposed to do to kill Lil Hunter? I can't clear out an area big enough to fight him in fast enough. I know 'strafe' but generally while I'm doing that something else kills me.
You don't actually wanna fight him in a big open area usually because IDPD will be everywhere, you wanna fight him somewhere fairly small but with at least a bit of cover/corners to juke around. Kill his rear end as fast as possible.

If you have super slugger/super crossbow it's possible to kill him in one hit if you get up close.

LazyMaybe fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Jul 12, 2015

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

Neopie posted:

Few question I've been meaning to ask since I suck

I'm semi-nubbish but I can help:

1) It has the full power of a shotgun blast in a single pellet, which can oneshot medium-sized enemies all the way up to Frozen City and is a shitload more accurate.

2) It's really useful later on when you need to pickup ammo or health as fast as possible but getting close enough to walk over them is super-risky.

3) Whooooo the gently caress knows. Level placement with this guy is a fuckin' bitch. Generally I try to avoid wide-open areas and try to zone him in smaller ones where I can get a clear shot when he lands then immediately scoot off around a corner to avoid his insane fire. He is a fucker.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

IronicDongz posted:

It was though. Rad beam is(was?) basically the best defensive option in the game vs. projectiles and it's a free pass for lil hunter, ballguy mama... basically any boss, even moreso than plant. And on top of all that you have a better chance of getting the build you want for postgame.

Not only that, but one of its ults is pretty much Re-Spec: The Game. As in, you lose all of your current ones, can choose from four different ones, and I think Patience- which is always there- just rerolls the other four indefinitely. Going off of the wiki for that bit of info.

Someone should sell me on Stalker, however. It just sounds like you'll never get to use your beam at all.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Stalker feels like it does way too little damage to pay off. Anomaly however is hilarious and frequently leads to situations where the cops come in and then instantly drop dead because the portal is already there. It instakills the cops in 0-1 and the crown guardians.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

widespread posted:

Someone should sell me on Stalker, however. It just sounds like you'll never get to use your beam at all.

Gestalt Intellect posted:

Stalker feels like it does way too little damage to pay off. Anomaly however is hilarious and frequently leads to situations where the cops come in and then instantly drop dead because the portal is already there. It instakills the cops in 0-1 and the crown guardians.
Stalker loving rules, idk what you mean by "It just sounds like you'll never get to use your beam at all". It doesn't consume any more rads, when enemies die they shoot out radbeams for free, aka they don't hurt you and they destroy projectiles, for free. Really useful for clearing crowds of bullet enemies.

If Stalker feels like it does too little damage, you should keep in mind that the amount of shots released depends on the amount of rads the enemy drops-which means if you put a lot of rads into them with your beam, they do a lot more damage.

Either way if you have a good build(which you probably do since you're horror) it's easily the best ultra-more damage for free is super, super good, passing that up for a mutations reroll is only worth it if you really need to reroll your mutations. It's either stalker or anomaly for me, usually stalker.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

IronicDongz posted:

Stalker loving rules, idk what you mean by "It just sounds like you'll never get to use your beam at all". It doesn't consume any more rads, when enemies die they shoot out radbeams for free, aka they don't hurt you and they destroy projectiles, for free. Really useful for clearing crowds of bullet enemies.

It's not that I think it consumes more rads, but rather, I assumed it meant "you never get your rads back because all rad-producing stuff becomes more projectiles instead of rads". Which... might sound better since I don't have to pump a lot to get some form of help out of it.

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Okay, I'll admit it took me a bit to get into it... But I think I kinda love this!! I'm Spider-Man!! I'm actually Spider-Man!! HA!
They drop rads too. Stalker horror was the go to daily build until people found the crystal stuff.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I found both new bullet weapons in the same level. They don't seem that good really because the projectiles are incredibly slow, but the SMG at least seemed better than the shotgun.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

jackofarcades posted:

They drop rads too. Stalker horror was the go to daily build until people found the crystal stuff.
Do you mean Fish stuff? I've seen way more Super Plasma Cannon Fish for daily highscores than Crystal anything.

MatildaTheHun
Aug 31, 2011

here's the thing donovan, I'm always hungry
Horror was the best character in the game until his nerf, now he's behind YV, Crystal, Plant, and maybe Steroids.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I'd put Steroids quite a bit above YV.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
YV is excellent.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
YV being utterly useless with melee weapons thanks to how the game handles melee weapon damage makes me sad.

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't
YV wishes he was steroids most of the time, tbh. You're free to like him and stuff but there's not much YV can do that roids can't do better.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
I wish they would change Eyes' passive so I would actually use him. I never play him on principle because "see in the dark" is completely useless. To a lesser extent I wish they would change Fish's active but I got a few uses out of Roll the last time I played Fish.

I should play Chicken more now that she's Hotline Miami.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Eye's passive is actually fairly(relatively) helpful on loop but I agree that it's the lamest poo poo of all time

chicken's right click is bad

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
Give Eyes slightly higher accuracy and night vision or something

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
Eyes should get Plant's see farther thingy.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Pretty much the only reason I ever use Eyes is for his ultra mutation. Given that 99% of enemies in this game do contact damage, his active ability feels utterly useless to me.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I don't see why his power doesn't pull items while pushing both bullets and enemies. Maybe it's just too OP to repel/slow melee enemies?

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Lakbay posted:

I wish they would change Eyes' passive so I would actually use him. I never play him on principle because "see in the dark" is completely useless. To a lesser extent I wish they would change Fish's active but I got a few uses out of Roll the last time I played Fish.

I should play Chicken more now that she's Hotline Miami.

Fish's active is wonderful once you get throne butt! Bob and weave, Lakbay, bob and weave!
e: by wonderful I don't mean it's anywhere close to the best, but it's fun and actually does help in a lot of situations.

Jack B Nimble posted:

I don't see why his power doesn't pull items while pushing both bullets and enemies. Maybe it's just too OP to repel/slow melee enemies?

Yes. His active is already one of the strongest and most reliable for the first loop of the game.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Count Uvula posted:

Yes. His active is already one of the strongest and most reliable for the first loop of the game.

How? What good does pulling enemies toward you actually accomplish?

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

CJacobs posted:

You stay away from them, you only need to be like half a screen away for them to not be pulled. The only actual useful part of the enemy pulling is that you can pull them to a wall and smack 'em with a melee weapon, but the bullet push chumps all but like 4 enemies in the game.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

CJacobs posted:

Nothing, but pushing away bullets is rad. You can basically avoid all bullets mega easy with throne butt, although I don't get it if I'm going for the ultra that holds your shots in place

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't
Pulling enemies tends to glom them together into one big mass, making it easy to dodge their bullets (which you are repelling anyway) and allowing you to rack up kills really quickly. The control potential of eyes' active is what makes it good

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
After some experimentation, the enemy pulling works pretty well in combination with boiling veins + explosive weapons. Drawing all the trash mobs right into your face and then blowing them all up point-blank without fear of death is pretty great.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
Long arms, trigger fingers, scarier face makes eyes into a melee beast. Stay behind cover and smack everything to death.

Also YV is great for melee because of his inherent higher fire rate.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

Count Uvula posted:

Fish's active is wonderful once you get throne butt! Bob and weave, Lakbay, bob and weave!
e: by wonderful I don't mean it's anywhere close to the best, but it's fun and actually does help in a lot of situations.

I'd rather just be Plant and be faster in general + have crowd control + far vision. But okay I guess I'll try

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Improbable Lobster posted:

Give Eyes slightly higher accuracy and night vision or something

Eyes actually does have night vision, it's his passive. You probably didn't notice because it's a terrible passive.

monny
Oct 20, 2008

dollar dollar bill, y'all
Seriously, gently caress Lil' Hunter. That is all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brasseye
Feb 13, 2009
Y.V really shines with certain weapons. I beat my previous record and got to the caves loop boss the other day, mostly by using his throne butt with a seeker pistol. it basically doubles as a more powerful seeker shotgun if you right click.

• Locked thread