Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
I'm a bilingual Ottawan and I loved the horrible robot French.

Also the rest of the book.

Except for the part where my neighbourhood blew up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005
Just read the first volume of Nailbiter and while it starts off super cheesy it has me pretty hooked.

Skeematic
Jan 18, 2003

Yikes.

Sigma-X posted:

Just read the first volume of Nailbiter and while it starts off super cheesy it has me pretty hooked.

Is quite good. I really like Joshua Williamson. Birthright is a good read as well so you might want to check that out from image as well. His first issue of Red Skull that just came out was fun to, and I'm really looking forward to his new marvel work age secret wars is done.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Yeah, Birthright is great stuff. I don't normally like that kind of book but I checked out the first issue and it was one of the better first issues I've read in a long time because it really hooked me.

pugnax
Oct 10, 2012

Specialization is for insects.
I think I liked Arclight. :psyduck:

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

From Image's October solicits

quote:

BLACK MAGICK #1
STORY: GREG RUCKA
ART / COVER A: NICOLA SCOTT
COVER B: JILL THOMPSON
OCTOBER 28 / 40 PAGES / FC / M / $3.99
The hammer falls this Halloween! From New York Times bestselling and Eisner Award-winning writer GREG RUCKA (LAZARUS, Stumptown, Gotham Central) and superstar artist NICOLA SCOTT (Birds of Prey, Secret Six, Earth 2)! Detective Rowan Black works robbery/homicide for the Portsmouth PD, but her greatest mystery is the truth about herself…both who she has been, and who she will become. Yet there are others in Rowan’s world with very long memories, and the power that one person holds, another will always covet. PLUS, each issue also features an all-new work of original fiction by GREG RUCKA! A new gothic-noir ongoing series about legacy, destiny, redemption…and the price of magic.
Awwwww yeah

Mars4523
Feb 17, 2014

Dunbar posted:

From Image's October solicits

Awwwww yeah
This looks loving awesome.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Wait holy poo poo Stokoe is doing another Godzilla book and the first issue came out TODAY? And it's about Godzilla going to Hell?

Holy poo poo how is this the first time in hearing about this???

quote:

Taking cues from Zdzis?aw Beksi?ski,, Dante Alighieri and Ricardo Delgado, Godzilla in Hell #1 is a silent dose of the beautifully surreal. There are 10 words to Stokoe's dialogue here, and three of those are “Godzilla in Hell”. The remaining 7, the classic “Abandon all hope, ye who enter here,” are summarily destroyed by Godzilla in the issue's opening pages; cementing the entire ethos of this miniseries.

Here's the sticking point. Despite being obviously influenced by Delgado's Age of Reptiles series, Godzilla in Hell lacks the nuances of storytelling that makes Age of Reptiles so compelling. If you're a plot-fiend, this isn't the comic book for you. This is metal album cover art in comic book form, which will either be the greatest recommendation or most damning criticism. There's great passion behind Stokoe's artwork; he knows his way around the kind of quaking chaos that Godzilla is famous for.

:stare: Yeah I'm buying the hell out of this

EDIT: God drat, Stokoe is only doing the first one. Each issue gets a different creative time to showcase the different layers of hell. Still sounds fun as all hell.

Happy Noodle Boy fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Jul 15, 2015

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

What happened to The Manhattan Projects? Did that end/get cancelled? Because man, that is kind of an unsatisfying ending.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

GrandpaPants posted:

What happened to The Manhattan Projects? Did that end/get cancelled? Because man, that is kind of an unsatisfying ending.

If that's the case I finally feel vindicated for having ignored it for the art.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

GrandpaPants posted:

"Manhattan projects: Sun beyond the stars" is the relaunch

Mimir
Nov 26, 2012
You

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

TheQat posted:

"Manhattan projects: Sun beyond the stars" is the relaunch

That relaunch needs a relaunch.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Oh man was Crossed +100 #6 such a gnarly loving book. Probably one of the most haunting stories I've ever read. It's what gives people who already live in the apocalypse nightmares.

I kinda wish Alan Moore continues with the story, or at least delves back into this world. Not many writers or artists can handle a book like this. Most of the ones out there are terrible. Ennis and Burrows on the first book and the first badlands arc were probably the best because both the story and art delt more with the horror of the situation than by focusing on the carnage. And as much as I love the guy, David Lapham's arcs have been wide misses for me. The one with the bikers was kinda goofy, but psychopath was just gross for grossness' sake. The least said about Crossed 3-D, the better.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
So was Wolf #1 the start of Ales Kot's new FablesxWicked+Divine fanfic? It was a nice beefy #1, but it felt so phoned in, both the writing and the art, past the opening pages. If #2 has more of the same shtick of giant paragraphs of rambling text, I can't see myself sticking with it.

e: Power Up, on the other hand, was a lot of fun. BOOM! is knocking it out of the park with these bright and cutesy comics lately. Bonus that they're refreshingly progressive.

Baron Fuzzlewhack fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Jul 22, 2015

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

So I finished the second trade of the Wicked+Divine....I really did not see that coming..

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

Alhazred posted:

So I finished the second trade of the Wicked+Divine....I really did not see that coming..

I just finished it and am holding down vomit and buying the next issue on Comixology I guess

e: finished up #12, and while it definitely was filltertastic, I think I enjoyed the art a lot more than most other people here. Maybe just because, as much as I love McKelvie, I'm generally excited to see other stylistic takes on the characters :shobon:

abraham linksys fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Jul 23, 2015

Angry Walrus
Aug 31, 2013

Quinn it
to
Win it.
It's a series about the gods of various different cultures reborn, it needed to be multi-artist from the getgo.

krakagar
Sep 26, 2010

Angry Walrus posted:

It's a series about the gods of various different cultures reborn, it needed to be multi-artist from the getgo.

I disagree. McKelvie's art really sells it in a way that I don't think would work with a whole bunch of artists. I didn't love the latest issue, art or storywise, but that's just one issue and its pretty much all been golden so far. I think part of that is also wondering who the story is going to focus on next after having such a solid core cast for so long. I guess Baphomet is the closest we have to a good PoV character now? But, I'm looking forward to seeing the other guest artists take on the world, and am super stoked for Brandon Graham's issue.

Also, next issue: loving Tara!

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

dik-dik posted:

If that's the case I finally feel vindicated for having ignored it for the art.

manhattan projects owns

sun beyond the stars #2 is out next week i think

i hope yuri doesn't gently caress his dog

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Just read the latest Crossed 100. I love that Beauregard Salt is obviously based on Hari Seldon from Foundation and his training of the Crossed is a hosed up version of Asimov's Psychohistory. I've liked the miniseries from the start, but the last issue or two, it's really gotten good. This may be a dumb question, but... are any of the other Crossed stories worth reading at all, or are they all just an excuse for shock ultraviolence? I have read the very first miniseries, but that's it.

Also just read the second Providence. It's strange, but also a bit interesting, that it's kind of like a parallel Lovecraft... it's obviously using stuff inspired by Herbert West, Shadow Over Innsmouth, and Dreams in the Witch-House, but not directly. I guess so Moore can merge it with his own interests/ideas on occultism. I kind of liked it better when it was just the primary not-Lovecraft character going around listening to people talk about mysticism, rather than actually encountering an occult thing, but still enjoyable so far.

I've also been reading Southern Cross, and am not really enjoying it at all. I was going to definitely drop it, but the psychedelic vision from the end of the latest issue convinced me to give it one more issue. Though I doubt that will really convince me.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Chairman Capone posted:

Just read the latest Crossed 100. I love that Beauregard Salt is obviously based on Hari Seldon from Foundation and his training of the Crossed is a hosed up version of Asimov's Psychohistory. I've liked the miniseries from the start, but the last issue or two, it's really gotten good. This may be a dumb question, but... are any of the other Crossed stories worth reading at all, or are they all just an excuse for shock ultraviolence? I have read the very first miniseries, but that's it.

Ennis, Spurrier, Christos Gage, and Kieron Gillen have all done interesting stories in the Crossed universe, but I can take or leave just about everyone else who's worked on the series. Lapham is very much in the "excuse for shock ultraviolence" camp, David Hine isn't much better, Daniel Way screwed the pooch, and Justin Jordan's arc is filler. Just look at the writers on a given TPB and buy accordingly.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Chairman Capone posted:

I've also been reading Southern Cross, and am not really enjoying it at all. I was going to definitely drop it, but the psychedelic vision from the end of the latest issue convinced me to give it one more issue. Though I doubt that will really convince me.

I enjoy it a lot because I am a sucker for working class horror in space like the original Alien.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I mean, I get that it's heavily influenced by Alien and Event Horizon, and feels a bit of the 2000AD comic Leviathan, but it doesn't really seem to be doing anything or going anywhere clear in terms of plot or characterization.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

krakagar posted:

I disagree. McKelvie's art really sells it in a way that I don't think would work with a whole bunch of artists. I didn't love the latest issue, art or storywise, but that's just one issue and its pretty much all been golden so far. I think part of that is also wondering who the story is going to focus on next after having such a solid core cast for so long. I guess Baphomet is the closest we have to a good PoV character now? But, I'm looking forward to seeing the other guest artists take on the world, and am super stoked for Brandon Graham's issue.

Also, next issue: loving Tara!

I havent even read it yet but gently caress Tara

krakagar
Sep 26, 2010

SynthOrange posted:

I havent even read it yet but gently caress Tara

I'm intrigued to see exactly what the problem everyone has with Tara is when we already have Woden. TBH if all the gods hate her that much, then I'm inclined to wonder if perhaps she's actually that bad at all.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Based on the series so far I just put Tara in the box of "truly insufferable artist type," like some unholy mix of Lady Gaga and Gwyneth Paltrow. But yeah, at this point how much worse could she be than the other gods?

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
The Bryan Lee O'Malley sex criminals cover is loving hilarious.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Consummate Professional posted:

The Bryan Lee O'Malley sex criminals cover is loving hilarious.

It took a lot of willpower for me not to just post a picture of the Goomba last night.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Chairman Capone posted:

Speaking of this, I picked up the latest two issues of Crossed: Badlands today, #80 and #81, and really wish I hadn't. It's Mike Wolfer in full gross-out mode.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Alhazred posted:

Even knowing that something was going to happen, I didn't quite realize that it was that. That's...certainly a thing. Although I suspected something was about to go down when Ananke was really laying on the "HEY BAPHOMET, you know what you shouldn't do? Kill the other gods because you'd live longer! Don't do thaaaat!" schtick. It just made it so blatant that that character should not be trusted.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Yeah jeez. I wonder if the whole recurrence is not a whole fake construct and she could bring up gods at any time to feed off but just bringing them in dozens every once in awhile.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

SynthOrange posted:

Yeah jeez. I wonder if the whole recurrence is not a whole fake construct and she could bring up gods at any time to feed off but just bringing them in dozens every once in awhile.

Yeah, my operating theory is that Ananke is the great darkness that she spoke of, and that she's pretending to be their guide so that she can feed off their energy. Maybe after they get charged with followers first? She probably wanted Baphomet to attempt to murder someone so that she has reason to kill him, like how she was probably the one to set up the chain of events that led to Luci dying. It might also explain why those last gods from the last recurrence killed themselves, rather than die by her hand.

More, MOOOOORE.

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

The brilliance of my posting illuminates the forums like a jar of shining gold when all around is dark

Wanderer posted:

Speaking of this, I picked up the latest two issues of Crossed: Badlands today, #80 and #81, and really wish I hadn't. It's Mike Wolfer in full gross-out mode.

I would like to see Negan from the Walking Dead catch the Crossed virus.

(late edit) Also you probably are not going to want to read Crossed #82.

scuba school sucks fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Aug 6, 2015

krakagar
Sep 26, 2010
Wicked & Divine 13 spoilers: poor loving Tara :(

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009

krakagar posted:

Wicked & Divine 13 spoilers: poor loving Tara :(

That two page spread is maybe the hardest thing to read in the whole series. I haven't seen a comic be this outright angry at the poo poo that's thrown at women since Bitch Planet #1. And Tula Lotay loving nails all of it. What a great loving comic.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

W+D. :smith:

Also what the gently caress is Ananke up to!? :argh:

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
Ahahaha We Stand On Guard #2 is the best. Seeing the elderly couple's home chock full of "ironic" nostalgia was tops!

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

JohnnyCanuck posted:

Ahahaha We Stand On Guard #2 is the best. Seeing the elderly couple's home chock full of "ironic" nostalgia was tops!

Ya I really enjoyed the issue. I really like where the story is going. BKV has never done me wrong (admittedly the only other thing of his I've read is Saga, and one volume of Y). I've been reading about Paper Girls which debuts in October and it sounds cool as gently caress too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

krakagar
Sep 26, 2010

ElNarez posted:

That two page spread is maybe the hardest thing to read in the whole series. I haven't seen a comic be this outright angry at the poo poo that's thrown at women since Bitch Planet #1. And Tula Lotay loving nails all of it. What a great loving comic.

I know right. That must have been a tough page to write too. It was a great issue. And I was right in that Tara makes all the other gods look even worse by comparison. I guess they maybe didn't know what she was going through because she kept her self separated from them, but this issue makes me have less sympathy for all of others. Even Laura didn't like Tara (Although she didn't know her). This was a great issue and yeah, Lotay's art was fantastic.

Also, a lot of parallels between Tara and Cassandra\Urdur here. Both characters frustrated that poeple wont liste to what they really have to say, both people who create or write there own work, and both characters with an invested interest in gender politics. Ananke was right when she said it was a shame the two didn't get to meet.

SynthOrange posted:

W+D. :smith:

Also what the gently caress is Ananke up to!? :argh:

This is what's keeping me awake at nights. WicDiv isn't necessarily my favourite comic coming out ta the moment (although it's up there0), but it is the one I think about the most.
The obvious answer that Annake is stealing the gods power so she can live longer seems too obvious, an has a few big holes in it. For one, she has plenty of opportunity to off the gods whenever she likes. She could get them whenever they emerge, for example and bypass a lot of hassle. Something to do with power, perhaps? Lucifer and Tara she killed both when they were likely to be the most hated by the public, so that could have something to do with it, and that was her justification for killing Luci. Killing Laura was maybe because she knew too much or was getting too close to something? Or just because she wasn't one of the 12? (She looked loving furious after she did that) But also she sent Baphomet after Innana, she didn't kill him herself. And she certainly could have done more to help Tara instead of just popping her head like a grape

It seems like she's trying to divide the group, but I don't know why. One theory I have is that something has happened to her, to 'change' her since we first met her. Or maybe there are two of her? Or an imposter? Ugh, I don't know.