Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

What the gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Overemotional Robot posted:

Saw the thread blow up and thought it was something awesome :(

This is truly terrible and I hope he went peacefully.

Moon language internet people think that it was an assisted euthanasia so he probably did.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

I'm dedicating my N3DS purchase to you Mr. Iwata.

Seriously though, I remember reading Iwata Asks: Splatoon and thinking that he looked really thin

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY

The Taint Reaper posted:

Moon language internet people think that it was an assisted euthanasia so he probably did.

If this is a Taint reaping you've gone way too far, I don't want to think of funny video game meme man dying by means of assisted suicide

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Raserys posted:

If this is a Taint reaping you've gone way too far, I don't want to think of funny video game meme man dying by means of assisted suicide

He had a terminal illness and it would have been an act of mercy. You don't let someone suffer like that.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Raserys posted:

We should all be so lucky to be helped to die, friend.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

I... I agree with Taint Reaper? :psyduck:

Dark times, indeed.

Thanks for my childhood and, well, let's face it, my adulthood, Mr. Iwata.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
There's no shame in that. Maybe in America it wouldn't fly but Japan is an advanced first world country.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

The Taint Reaper posted:

He had a terminal illness and it would have been an act of mercy. You don't let someone suffer like that.

Yep :\

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
I don't think it's wrong, I'm just super uncomfortable with associating nintendo president Satoru Iwata and assisted suicide to avoid a slow painful death.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Just heard about Iwata. Really sucks to hear someone you adored pass away. :smith:

Guess I have an excuse to play more Nintendo, as a tribute to him. :patriot:

wafflemoose fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Jul 13, 2015

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

Raserys posted:

I don't think it's wrong, I'm just super uncomfortable with associating nintendo president Satoru Iwata and assisted suicide to avoid a slow painful death.

its also really tasteless to comment on what is currently a rumor and go "yeah he prolly offed himself"

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
gently caress me, a bolt out of the clear blue sky. I didn't know he ever had cancer. :(

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY

Tengames posted:

its also really tasteless to comment on what is currently a rumor and go "yeah he prolly offed himself"

That was the initial crux of it, yeah, especially from noted shitposter The Taint Reaper

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Its okay, getting reaped is one of the 5 stages of mourning.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

The "hah taint reaped again!" meme has overstayed its welcome dude

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
It's less "ha, you got me again, Taint Reaper!!" and more "if that's another troll, that's pretty hosed up of you"

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

rest in peace Satoru Iwata

Jarogue
Nov 3, 2012

I'm never gone to play the Balloon Fight or Pokemon games the same again without thinking about this day. So long Mr. Iwata

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

So what exactly what his medical issue? Cancer of some sort?

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
So Iwata has been crucial to:

Balloon Fighter
Earthbound
Pokemon G/S
Super Smash Bros.
I think he convinced Sakurai to keep kirby pink?

There's probably a ton more I'm missing. Dude was a badass, a true gamer, to his core

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Sire Oblivion posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cholangiocarcinoma

It was this

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Sire Oblivion posted:

Pretty much yes. It affected his liver.

Jesus christ, it's already been updated with Iwata's info at the bottom of that wiki.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Well this is a hell of a thing to wake up to :sigh:.

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Raserys posted:

So Iwata has been crucial to:

Balloon Fighter
Earthbound
Pokemon G/S
Super Smash Bros.

There's probably a ton more I'm missing. Dude was a badass, a true gamer, to his core

If it wasn't for Iwata Smash Bros would've never be conceived..and thus i would never experience one of the most action packed games ever made... and arguably my favorite series

PrBacterio
Jul 19, 2000

Sire Oblivion posted:

This, as far as I understand. I never realized it when he announced last year that he had to undergo surgery for it but reading that Wiki page just now, that's gotta be just about the deadliest type of cancer you can get :(

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Raserys posted:

Kirby was always pink, the original box art was wrong.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Canned Panda posted:

I was having a relatively good day today, too...

today's my birthday lol

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
Miyamoto wanted Kirby to be yellow, Sakurai wanted Kirby to be pink, I think it was Iwata who convinced him to stay with pink, but I'm not sure. I know definitely that he convinced Sakurai to go ahead and make a smash bros demo despite Miyamoto rejecting the idea, and thus he is one of Smash's two daddies

He also told Sakurai that if he didn't want to make the next smash bros for the Wii, they would just release Melee Online or something, which was absolutely the right call imho

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

:smith:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I'm having a weird problem with my 3DS. When I put it into sleep mode it doesn't wake up sometimes.

The odd thing is that it only does this when a game is running and only with certain games. (Xenoblade Chronicles is the big one at the moment.) Any idea why that might be?

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
I'm sorry to say this, but... it's... it's not asleep, ImpAtom... It's followed Mr. Iwata into Gamehalla. :gbsmith:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Raserys posted:

I'm sorry to say this, but... it's... it's not asleep, ImpAtom... It's followed Mr. Iwata into Gamehalla. :gbsmith:

Perhaps that is why I posted that in the wrong thread!

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Viewtiful Jew posted:

Where was the fan support for Cubivore when they abandoned that game in the states?

Cubivore didn't have fans it had victims.

Fawf
Nov 5, 2009

It's Me, It's Me, It's DDD

Raserys posted:

He also told Sakurai that if he didn't want to make the next smash bros for the Wii, they would just release Melee Online or something, which was absolutely the right call imho

Oh man, if they released Melee with the sole addition of Brawl's barely functional online that'd be awful.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Just beat Splatoon and Iwata's name was the last one in the credits :( :( :(

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

deadwing posted:

Just beat Splatoon and Iwata's name was the last one in the credits :( :( :(

I wonder if Super Mario Maker is gonna have a special dedication to him in the credits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Detective No. 27 posted:

I wonder if Super Mario Maker is gonna have a special dedication to him in the credits.

Personally I think they should do an Iwata amiibo.

• Locked thread