Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.
Shame, that. Oh well, it was a nice idea.

There's that confirmation. What kind of run to do next? Maybe I'll go for another Chaos run.

EDIT: First job on that Chaos choice: Mystic Knight. Oh, that's a good sign. :unsmigghh:

Bufuman fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Jul 13, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.
OK, how am I supposed to use that Fiesta mod that unlocks all the classes right off that's linked in the second post? I got Lunar IPS but it won't recognize the patch as an IPS file.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Bufuman posted:

OK, how am I supposed to use that Fiesta mod that unlocks all the classes right off that's linked in the second post? I got Lunar IPS but it won't recognize the patch as an IPS file.

That's because it's not an IPS file, it's a UPS file, so you need a UPS patcher, I used something called NUPS.

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...
The doc has all the info you need to patch ROMs! At least, the dropbox link does.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.

Can Of Worms posted:

The doc has all the info you need to patch ROMs! At least, the dropbox link does.

The dropbox link only gives me the .ups file. And using NUPS to patch my game's file isn't unlocking my jobs. I even did a New Game and went through the opening and Wind Shrine (rather than loading up my post-Shrine file).

erazure
Oct 23, 2005

Bufuman posted:

The dropbox link only gives me the .ups file. And using NUPS to patch my game's file isn't unlocking my jobs. I even did a New Game and went through the opening and Wind Shrine (rather than loading up my post-Shrine file).

Yeah, I had the same issue. The patch can be applied and does make changes -- potions heal for 100 for instance, which is a patched change, as was the inclusion of the 'Hero' job -- but it doesn't open all the jobs, as it says it does. I ended up grabbing a gameshark or whatever code to open them all up, myself.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

The balance patch is separate from the fiesta state mod.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.

erazure posted:

Yeah, I had the same issue. The patch can be applied and does make changes -- potions heal for 100 for instance, which is a patched change, as was the inclusion of the 'Hero' job -- but it doesn't open all the jobs, as it says it does. I ended up grabbing a gameshark or whatever code to open them all up, myself.

Oh, wait, it was the second one that was supposed to unlock all jobs? I figured it was the first one. What does that one do besides change NED?

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Bufuman posted:

Oh, wait, it was the second one that was supposed to unlock all jobs? I figured it was the first one. What does that one do besides change NED?

No, fiesta mod is the one that unlocks all jobs and makes NED look like a cactuar. The balance mod is the one that actually makes sweeping changes (and does NOT unlock all jobs).

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.

Kyrosiris posted:

No, fiesta mod is the one that unlocks all jobs and makes NED look like a cactuar. The balance mod is the one that actually makes sweeping changes (and does NOT unlock all jobs).

Well, I still can't get it to work. I too had to hunt down a gameshark code to unlock them all. Whatever works.

Sax Solo
Feb 18, 2011

Two random runs, five wind crystal jobs. :-| I haven't had blue mage before though.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.
I thought I was safe from Gilgabot when I got my wind job. I thought I was good no matter what I got.

I was wrong. :negative:

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

I need to update the Fiesta patch to have an immediate visible change on the title screen (and give NED a sombrero.) Maybe change Bartz's default name to Fiesta too???

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

Bufuman posted:

I thought I was safe from Gilgabot when I got my wind job. I thought I was good no matter what I got.

I think the emotes you're looking for are :getin: and :black101:, hth

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
I'm already loving Thief due to being able to steal Hi Potions for World 1. What are some other good steals as I go through the game? Rest of the team is Time/Knight/Zerk so I'll definitely be grabbing Genji stuff from Our Lord Gilgamesh.

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Kyrosiris posted:

Do you know if the Balance Mod enables !Check/!View on bosses? I'm loving my Blue Mage run but it's the stupidest thing.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Qwarq posted:

A safe but very slow strategy is to have everyone !Hide when the last message before "FIRING" pops up. You might need to wait off screen through another Wave Cannon cycle so everyone's ATB bars will be ready for when it's time to hide again. Come back out for a turn to poke him and repeat until he's dead or the heat death of the universe, whichever comes first.

Yeah, I had forgotten about the usefulness of Hide in these kinds of situations. It took ages, but I was eventually able to emerge victorious through this method.

Earth job turns out to be Dragoon. Well, at least a source of physical damage is nice.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.

Liquid Flame with even a single Berserker is a bitch. Though a couple of bad misses didn't help, especially the last one that would've ended the battle before that last Blaze, which wiped Galuf and Faris.

Mustard Iceman
Apr 8, 2015

Weak against ketchup

Got Ninja | Ranger | Dragoon | Dancer for the next run.

HiPotions galore.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Bufuman posted:

Liquid Flame with even a single Berserker is a bitch. Though a couple of bad misses didn't help, especially the last one that would've ended the battle before that last Blaze, which wiped Galuf and Faris.

You know you can kill off zerker before the boss fight. It only take a minute for him to run out of MP in twister form, then you have one, if not two forms, to recover during.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

Bufuman posted:

Well, I still can't get it to work. I too had to hunt down a gameshark code to unlock them all. Whatever works.

This is the patcher I used and it was really simple:

http://www.romhacking.net/utilities/519/

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.
Interesting fact I discovered for Byblos and Mystic Knights: Using Poison Sword can actually really help. Though the physical attack itself will heal him since he absorbs Poison, the damage from the poison ailment does not count as poison-elemental and will hurt him for about 225 damage that he can't counter. Which was just a bit under Fira Sword damage (after Protect) and more than he heals with Drain.

Bufuman fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Jul 13, 2015

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Poque posted:

I'm already loving Thief due to being able to steal Hi Potions for World 1. What are some other good steals as I go through the game? Rest of the team is Time/Knight/Zerk so I'll definitely be grabbing Genji stuff from Our Lord Gilgamesh.

:getin:

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Do you see how he's a cat?

Bufuman posted:

Your Twitter avatar is perfect for your post.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

What's the best spot to grind for levels in World 3? The rift?

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Wasn't somebody working on a Catch guide? I'm about to face Puroboros and was wondering if there was something that isn't Prototype that I can release for good multitarget damage.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

ugh I don't have a thief so I guess I can't get this. Best I can get on my zerk is the death sickle.

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Do you see how he's a cat?

Twelve by Pies posted:

Wasn't somebody working on a Catch guide? I'm about to face Puroboros and was wondering if there was something that isn't Prototype that I can release for good multitarget damage.

It's not exactly a guide, but there's a full list on the FF Wiki.

Mustard Iceman
Apr 8, 2015

Weak against ketchup

Twelve by Pies posted:

The Stone Golems near Istory use Quake; it's the best option for Purabolos.

ultrafilter posted:

What's the best spot to grind for levels in World 3? The rift?
Depends on your party.

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain
Second run, second triple crown :toot:

Chaos Mystic/Bard/Samurai/Samurai. Pretty fun, would be nice to get a healing job at some point. Archeoaevis with three mystics and a bard was a total pain and probably the biggest roadblock :negative:

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Mustard Iceman posted:

The Stone Golems near Istory use Quake; it's the best option for Purabolos.

Ah thanks! Ended up only doing around 650 damage to each, but I did vaguely remember someone mentioning that they're also affected by Romeo's Ballad, so with my Bard spamming that too it was a pretty easy fight.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Qwarq
Apr 3, 2009

Started my next run and Gilgabot answered my prayers for a mage with the best mage - Blue Mage! Followed by a Mystic Knight, and then a Beastmaster and a dancer, meh. :getin:

I've never gotten a Blue Mage before and I'm cackling with maniacal glee as I cheese drat near every boss. Level 5 Death-ing Atomos is quite cathartic. Having so much healing available is throwing me off too. I keep wanting to stock up on potions and hi potions, or run back to an Inn if get low on health. Basically what I'm saying is that Blue Mages own, especially with a Beastmaster sidekick.

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

Doom Goon posted:

Do you know if the Balance Mod enables !Check/!View on bosses? I'm loving my Blue Mage run but it's the stupidest thing.
It doesn't and I didn't know that was a thing!

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Qwarq posted:

Started my next run and Gilgabot answered my prayers for a mage with the best mage - Blue Mage! Followed by a Mystic Knight, and then a Beastmaster and a dancer, meh. :getin:

I've never gotten a Blue Mage before and I'm cackling with maniacal glee as I cheese drat near every boss. Level 5 Death-ing Atomos is quite cathartic. Having so much healing available is throwing me off too. I keep wanting to stock up on potions and hi potions, or run back to an Inn if get low on health. Basically what I'm saying is that Blue Mages own, especially with a Beastmaster sidekick.

Blue Mage AND Beastmaster? Enjoy your Mighty Guards.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Is Gilgamesh on the Big Bridge immune to Slow? I was hoping that catching a Tarantula and releasing it on him would counter his Haste and make the fight manageable; if he's immune to Slow I'm not really sure how to handle this fight.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Twelve by Pies posted:

Is Gilgamesh on the Big Bridge immune to Slow? I was hoping that catching a Tarantula and releasing it on him would counter his Haste and make the fight manageable; if he's immune to Slow I'm not really sure how to handle this fight.

He is not.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Guess I was just having a lot of runs of bad luck, and as always happens in these situations, the second I posted about it Web kicked in and slowed him. :v:

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.
There we go, got my Death Sickle. Now, the question of the evening: Do I kill off my Berserker for Sandworm?

...Eh, gently caress it, wouldn't be a challenge run without a few curveballs. TO WAR! :black101:

EDIT: Sandworm down, without downing the Berserker beforehand, though he did bite it near the end of the battle, since it was simpler to focus on keeping the other three healed.

Bufuman fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Jul 13, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gatesealer
Apr 9, 2011

so I'm thinking of doing another run. Do I just do the same thing as before when I first registered? And is it bad form to not pledge a second time? I would but my finances are kind of low.

edit: how long does a reroll usually take to process? I started with blue mage again and I wanted to try something different.

gatesealer fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Jul 13, 2015

• Locked thread