Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Gestalt Intellect posted:

Eyes actually does have night vision, it's his passive. You probably didn't notice because it's a terrible passive.

I meant instead of just night vision

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MatildaTheHun
Aug 31, 2011

here's the thing donovan, I'm always hungry

IronicDongz posted:

I'd put Steroids quite a bit above YV.

YV is the best character in any media, ever. Gunz 4 Moni

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!

CJacobs posted:

YV being utterly useless with melee weapons thanks to how the game handles melee weapon damage makes me sad.

He's a Gun God not a Melee God

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 34 hours!
I'll never not love melting even if he's not the most op. He's the funnest! Lately ive been doing shittons of crown of blood runs with him and just dying constantly but it's hilariously fun.

Especially when you hit level 5 before the sewers.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
I never play Melting, Rebel, and Rogue because I'm not good enough :(

Ice_Mallet
Feb 22, 2011
I almost always play Rogue because I'm not good enough.

The few times I play as anybody else I get confused why cops don't spawn in mid-level.

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Okay, I'll admit it took me a bit to get into it... But I think I kinda love this!! I'm Spider-Man!! I'm actually Spider-Man!! HA!

IronicDongz posted:

Do you mean Fish stuff? I've seen way more Super Plasma Cannon Fish for daily highscores than Crystal anything.

35K with Crystal on the daily

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kAx9Krunhb8

The right Melting build is OP as gently caress, I got a 3500 score with it and my next highest is 1900 with pre nerf horror.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!

jackofarcades posted:

35K with Crystal on the daily

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kAx9Krunhb8

The right Melting build is OP as gently caress, I got a 3500 score with it and my next highest is 1900 with pre nerf horror.

that run is insane. I recommend everyone watching the last 2 minutes. 11 big bandits with buffed HP/firerate is a sight to see!

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

Krinku and squerc have been going back to back on new personal bests. I'd almost expect this to be beaten in the next couple days if it weren't already around 6-8 hours per run.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Nevvy Z posted:

I'll never not love melting even if he's not the most op. He's the funnest! Lately ive been doing shittons of crown of blood runs with him and just dying constantly but it's hilariously fun.

Especially when you hit level 5 before the sewers.

So with Crown of Blood/Melting, you wind up getting more XP due to more enemies that drop the rads, right?

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

widespread posted:

So with Crown of Blood/Melting, you wind up getting more XP due to more enemies that drop the rads, right?

Yeah. Do Melting with Crown of Blood from the start, and visit the Cursed Caves too and you'll be Ultra before you even reach the throne.

YV is hilarious because he makes for an excellent melee character due to sheer fire rate. Combine Trigger Fingers with his Ultra A and his passive and he turns into a lawnmower. Get a good gun and Throne Butt as well and you're pretty set.

It's amazing to see nightmare level loops happening, but I do hope it doesn't mean Vlambeer starts to just wildly nerf stuff left and right just to prevent that, and ignore the early game balance and fun. But then they've been good about that a lot. 'Nerf' usually just means toned down. And it's funny to see frequently ignored stuff like Gamma Guts turn out to be key to these super runs.

GMEEOORH
Mar 12, 2012

Samopsa posted:

that run is insane. I recommend everyone watching the last 2 minutes. 11 big bandits with buffed HP/firerate is a sight to see!

No man, it's 24 big bandits. Every further loop now adds two bb's and that's probably the biggest reason Crystal is now super good. None of the other characters have any real way to deal with that poo poo.

Black August posted:

It's amazing to see nightmare level loops happening.
They're fun to watch, but pretty lovely if you want to get the highscore and don't have 6 loving hours.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I thought the video seemed more impressive than it was because of camera shake being on...until the Big Bandit Brigade arrived.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
I gotta say I'm totally fine with never having a run of Nuclear Throne last six hours. If you can pull it off more power to you.

Also how would a character that isn't Crystal handle the Big Bandit Brigade?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
With that many at once, you pretty much couldn't as any other character. Maybe Rogue if you had a full 3 alt-attacks and all of the mutations that make it more powerful. Potentially you could make it through as anyone if you got lucky enough level generation to have good cover, but relying on that is impossible.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

CJacobs posted:

With that many at once, you pretty much couldn't as any other character. Maybe Rogue if you had a full 3 alt-attacks and all of the mutations that make it more powerful. Potentially you could make it through as anyone if you got lucky enough level generation to have good cover, but relying on that is impossible.

Big Bandits destroy cover though. Also, their HP is buffed each loop so the Rogue option is not sufficient after several rounds!

The devs are changing Crystal around to be more fun and less overpowered in high loops: probably changing the shielding to be shorter but quicker to activate/deactivate, and it won't grant immunity from lasers anymore (just like with shielders). So Crystal will be more mobile/more fluid to play but less useful for infinite tanking I guess.

Xenogenesis
Nov 8, 2005
YV with Super Flak Cannon + Incinerator and Shotgun Shoulders in the mansion might be the worst as in best idea. Literally can't see *anything*

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

What the gently caress was that.

Colosmicon
Jan 5, 2013

Pierson posted:

What the gently caress was that.

That was the Ballguy Mama.

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

Lakbay posted:

I never play Melting, Rebel, and Rogue because I'm not good enough :(

This is insane to me because I almost exclusively play Rebel since I'm so bad, her passive just makes up for me sucking.

Future Days
Oct 25, 2013

The Taurus didn't offer much for drivers craving the sport sedan experience. That changed with the 1989 debut of the Ford Taurus SHO (for Super High Output), a Q-ship of the finest order that offered up a high-revving Yamaha-designed V-6 engine and a tight sport suspension.

Got into this silly bug when dying with a Crown Vault portal open. Looks pretty rad, though.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
I'd say "rad" is the most apt description.
But yeah it does look pretty great.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

It's not a bug! The devs put that in, the start screen has the portal effects of the place where you last died.

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

Future Days posted:

Got into this silly bug when dying with a Crown Vault portal open. Looks pretty rad, though.

I think it just happens at random, I got the space zooming thing from YV's mansion yesterday. :D

Future Days
Oct 25, 2013

The Taurus didn't offer much for drivers craving the sport sedan experience. That changed with the 1989 debut of the Ford Taurus SHO (for Super High Output), a Q-ship of the finest order that offered up a high-revving Yamaha-designed V-6 engine and a tight sport suspension.

Vlambeer posted:

We're still going strong with hard work, but got a bit caught by needing to have the update done in the middle of all kinds of huge and exciting changes. We would have had more to show you, but unfortunately there's no time to finish it just this week!

Since we're really starting to tie all the seperate parts of Nuclear Throne together, we might break the game a little bit here and there. No matter how well and carefully you construct the parts, they might always fit a bit weird and require some tuning. That'll be happening in the next few weeks as we push forward.

In the background, a lot of our code is being optimized for both computer and console platforms. Similarly, that means that code-wise things might be a bit unstable, and it will be going through major structural changes as we push forward. While this shouldn't be super noticable, the Windows version should enjoy a significant performance boost in areas with a lot of stuff going on.

More noticeably, we bring you a bit of a rework to the Nuclear Throne, a newly tuned Crystal, smoother portals, a ton of balancing, fixing, and all that good stuff!

Oh, and assassins still deflect, but in a way less lethal way.

Features
Some work on the Throne!
Reworked Crystal, with a more mobile, snappier shield, usable Throne Butt, and complete B skin graphics!
Portals now look better!

Balancing
Assassins still deflect, but the projectiles won't hurt you! Great way to take out enemies behind you with trick shots. We've also made them a bit meaner again.
Lil Hunter's IDPD spawning has been balanced.
Blood and Lightning Hammer now spawn earlier.
Energy Hammer and Sword now spawn a bit later.
Plant's Throne Butt now kills things under 33% HP.
We got rid of the HP-loop-change we tried out last week. Turns out giving people less HP reliably gives them more ammo, destroying some of the fun balancing going on there. We'll solve this problem soon when we get closer to reworking loops.
Loop Big Bandits now spawn from different positions, which wasn't spurred at all by a certain video last week.
Bouncers now have harder impact, more damage, and glow.
Bouncer Shotgun now has a higher rate of fire.
Super Plasma and Flame Cannon now take longer to reload.
Lasers can now damage Crystal in her shield.

Fixes
Fixed Total Recall.
After long deliberation, we fixed a tip saying "follow your" and nothing else.
Bouncer Shotgun now works with Eagle Eyes.
Big Maggots no longer slide when burrowing.
Might've fixed a problem that causes the game to freeze.
Explosives no longer explode in your face when fired exactly when a Portal opens.
Fixed a collision problem with Bouncers.

Misc
Changed the default audio levels.
Changed gamepad layout to the old buttons until we implement key customization.
Tweaked the colors for the Game Over map when looping a lot.
Robot now gets an Ultra Update instead of Ultra Mutation.
Art for Bouncer weapons.

Since so much is changing, and things are starting to lock down, your feedback is worth more than ever now, whether you're just starting or a hardened veteran. Let us know what you think, how the game performs, what your concerns are but also the things you love.

As a general 'feedback' reminder - and we've mentioned this earlier in the process - feedback is at its best if you describe the problem rather than trying to offer a solution. When you offer a solution, we still need to dig to figure out what your actual problem is so we can fix it.

Enjoy!

MatildaTheHun
Aug 31, 2011

Crystal's throne butt is basically shield, 1 second pause, then teleport to cursor.

Also there is some bizarre crash that forces me to restart my whole computer, so there's that.

e: Yeah that's 4 runs in a row lost to a crash, I doubt they won't fix it for long.

Also enemy crystals now fire through Crystals shield. Thank god I had rhino skin and strong spirit :I

MatildaTheHun fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Jul 19, 2015

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Just got to the throne. The throne itself has the same attacks but now both sides of the arena are filled with crown-vault pillars that turn into Guardians as the throne passes by them. You wouldn't think that would be much since you can kill them pretty easily but the extra layer of fire to avoid/kill does make it harder.

Also I'll confirm that Crystal's new butt is super drat good now.

Pierson fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Jul 19, 2015

Smash Daisaku
Jul 12, 2008

Last Bet $15 on Player 1
Odds 807.1:1 ($1)

RIP the quick restart bug.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Hotfixes are in, the game is good to play again without (awesome) bugs!

I looooove the new crystal. Plays really fluid and quick; it's hella good to be able to quickly shield. It's like always having a melee weapon to reflect shots!

Xenogenesis
Nov 8, 2005
So I just got Big Dog from random select.

e: and the game crashed immediately after shooting a missile into a wall

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

apparently there were more bugs

e: This update owns, just got to loop 2 with crystal and a super plasma cannon, that thing is beastly!

Samopsa fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Jul 19, 2015

Future Days
Oct 25, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZMbq3ipt16E

aw yiss

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Weird-rear end fun fact: Hitting the enter button while unpaused fires your gun. What.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

The fact that they can carry different weapons and die independently is amazing.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

This should be a characters actual ultra ability. You get a new one every loop.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

That''s not a bug, it's a feature :D

GMEEOORH
Mar 12, 2012
Got a pretty lucky daily today. Accidentally went to the oasis on loop three with a lightning cannon and still came out alive. I didn't even know that the skip would work with the extra big bandits, but one of them suicide charged into my gamma guts and there I was.:)

Deacon of Delicious
Aug 20, 2007

I bet the twist ending is Dracula's dick-babies
I looped for the first time today, never having seen or read about what exactly happens other than more enemies and better weapons. "How much worse can one loop make it?" I thought.

Holy poo poo that was great. Made it to the sewers, naturally died to a ball guy while fighting the mama.

MatildaTheHun
Aug 31, 2011

6 runs in a row ended by Lil' Hunter. There are so many tiny little changes they could make to make him a reasonable boss, but god forbid they do anything to him.

What's worse is the inevitable feeling that no matter what I do I'm going to die to him, and of course I nevewr get decent spawns so I have to desperately attempt to kill half the level before he stomps on my head and then fires more bullets than I can count that travel faster than any other projectile in the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gloryhold It!
Sep 22, 2008

Fucking
Adorable
Uh, you've been updating your game, right? They've changed him quite a lot. He's pretty loving reasonable now.

• Locked thread