Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Cricket
This poll is closed.
Blackface in crowd 129 55.36%
References to Lord of the Rings 104 44.64%
Total: 233 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

EMC
Aug 17, 2004

Was watching one of Rob Moody's videos on youtube and noticed this NSW team, not a bad team

New page again - gently caress Watto

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

EMC posted:

Was watching one of Rob Moody's videos on youtube and noticed this NSW team, not a bad team

The tail is a little long. Starts at Lee.

Also, at the time that was a good one day score/position after 13 overs.

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1
I forgot how young Clarke started playing

EMC
Aug 17, 2004

That team could probably just retire their innings and have enough runs on the board to defend it

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

EMC posted:

I used to jig school and watch the Blues in the mid-90s when the Test players were back in the side since the teams they'd field were just ridiculous. Taylor, Slater, both Waugh brothers, McGrath, both Lees etc. I vaguely remember one game where I think every NSW had 10+ Tests experience. And Richard Chee Quee

Drugs
Jul 16, 2010

I don't like people who take drugs. Customs agents, for example - Albert Einstein

EMC posted:

C.Richards must have got lost on his way to the 2nd XI game

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

:swoon:FYFE:swoon:

webmeister posted:

I used to jig school and watch the Blues in the mid-90s when the Test players were back in the side since the teams they'd field were just ridiculous. Taylor, Slater, both Waugh brothers, McGrath, both Lees etc. I vaguely remember one game where I think every NSW had 10+ Tests experience. And Richard Chee Quee

I used to hang around Bellerive Oval in the mid-90s and bother the players for autographs. I loved when a full strength NSW played as it was rich pickings, though saying that a lot of the test players were very hard to get an autograph from. Like I never got Steve or Mark, but I did get Dean Waugh (lol). And I'm pretty sure I got Chee Quee.

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1
I went to a shield match at Bellerive to see Mark Waugh's last innings.

On autographs - to avoid being distracted in the outer by signing things, Merv Hughes would promise those asking to stick around after the game. He'd come out with a chair at stumps and plonk it down near the gate and the kids would line up and he'd get them all done.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Doctor Cave posted:

I used to hang around Bellerive Oval in the mid-90s and bother the players for autographs. I loved when a full strength NSW played as it was rich pickings, though saying that a lot of the test players were very hard to get an autograph from. Like I never got Steve or Mark, but I did get Dean Waugh (lol). And I'm pretty sure I got Chee Quee.

It was pretty easy to get the Waughs on the rare occasion they turned up at Bankstown Oval for a first grade game, but that was once a year at most.

Sheffield Shield matches owned when it was just you and your mates in the crowd, plus a couple of weird old guys and their dogs

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

:swoon:FYFE:swoon:

webmeister posted:

It was pretty easy to get the Waughs on the rare occasion they turned up at Bankstown Oval for a first grade game, but that was once a year at most.

Sheffield Shield matches owned when it was just you and your mates in the crowd, plus a couple of weird old guys and their dogs

Shield games were great as you could hang around where the players entered the ground as there was no security, or hardly anyone there anyway. One of my favourite memories is Damien Martyn telling my brother to gently caress off after asking for his autograph (to be fair he had just got out).

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Someone should try and get Watson to sign a front pad next time he's playing a Shield game

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete

EMC posted:

I watched this the otehr day and noticed the same thing - so many test players. Probably could have made world cup semi-finals with that team even then

BrigadierSensible posted:

The tail is a little long. Starts at Lee.
You say that but there's actually 12 players listed for some reason

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

:qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq:

BrigadierSensible posted:

So in order to "grow" the game, they restrict the viewing audience.

its NRL-esque

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

EMC posted:

Great team or australian_selections.jpg?

(Great team, but still, gently caress NSW)

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

webmeister posted:

Yeah, haven't been for a while but they were good fun. My favourite memory was going to a game in Adelaide with a couple of other Victorians to watch the Bushrangers and having a long chat with Nick Jewell on the boundary. At one point we made him move because he was blocking our view and he took a catch from his new position. He gave us ideas for sledging one of the Redback's batsmen (O'Brien I think). We met some weird chick who was was stalking Matthew Wade, she'd been to literally every single one of his games and kept calling out how much she loved him.

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.

Shmoses posted:

Probably one of the many experiments the ACB/CA have tried with domestic one day cricket.

Airstream Driver
May 6, 2009

The 12th man could bowl but didn't have to bat?

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Who is C. Richards?

EMC
Aug 17, 2004

Mister Chief posted:

Who is C. Richards?

http://www.espncricinfo.com/australia/content/player/7350.html

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

GAME PLANS? We don't need no stinking game plans.

:cry: :cry: :cry:

Talk about burning out.

glasnost toyboy
May 29, 2009

Shmoses posted:

This must be from that era where the ICC tried to jazz up the 50 over game by allowing 'subs' - where you could name 12 players and sub your 12th in for one of the first 11 at your time of choosing. Of course they didn't think it through at all, as you had to nominate your 12th before the toss, meaning whoever won the toss had a massive advantage.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Cricket isn't on Free To Air TV in the UK???? What the gently caress?

For comparison, the last time the ashes was on free to air tv, it averaged 3 million or something. The link even says that the deciding test had 8 million people watching it.

Sky has given gently caress loads of money to cricket, but its made it almost impossible to watch unless you already like cricket. Vicious circle.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

The weird thing is the argument that you wouldn't be able to get the same uninterrupted coverage if it was on free to air TV, which makes sense until you realise that BBC Four's programming currently starts at 7pm, could they not have the cricket on before that?

It's probably quite a money-spinner for Sky though, let's face it, the cricket is 90% of the reason my family has it.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

The BBC wouldn't be able to afford it.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
Also BBC have TMS which is clearly the best way to ingest cricket if you are watching Sky on mute at the same time

Seksiness
Aug 24, 2006
I screwed your grandma and all I got was this lousy custom title... and herpes
Does anyone know the TMS audience figures? I reckon it is at least twice what Sky pull in, and not even available on FM.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

gay picnic defence posted:

If only the poms had prepared a sporting wicket we might have had an even match. Oh well.

40 wickets in under 4 days? I hope someone is fired for that minefield

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

I'm going to be so annoyed if Australia drop all of their dead weight just in time for us.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

Seksiness posted:

Does anyone know the TMS audience figures? I reckon it is at least twice what Sky pull in, and not even available on FM.

I don't think that information is publicly available. You do see occasional things like this, but I've never seen full numbers with breakdown. How much of that is UK and not abroad is questionable though.

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Its just lovely here this time of year.
We should let Watto play at lord's so he can do this again:

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

I assume everyone looks like their avatars so all of your posts are very off-putting.

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete
It's true, I've been slowly drowning for ten years

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
I am actually Steve Smith, future Australian captain

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

I'm going to show myself up here - how can a ball pitch outside off stump and still be lbw?

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

notaspy posted:

I'm going to show myself up here - how can a ball pitch outside off stump and still be lbw?

Its only outside leg that means its not out. Its if you're hit outside off while offering a shot that gets the not out then. He was hit in line with the stumps, so bye bye watto.

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug
Is there any way that I, as a Canadian, could access some sort of on line radio play by play/commentary stream of the next Ashes test?

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete
http://mixlr.com/whitelinewireless/ is a good one

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Is Test Match Sofas still a thing?

When I went to https://testmatchsofa.com it eventually redirected to https://thecricketer.com

Hmmm.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch

Antifreeze Head posted:

Is there any way that I, as a Canadian, could access some sort of on line radio play by play/commentary stream of the next Ashes test?

They apparently streamed the BBC TMS commentary on youtube for people not in the main cricket countries, that might be good for you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete

Dead Goon posted:

Is Test Match Sofas still a thing?

When I went to https://testmatchsofa.com it eventually redirected to https://thecricketer.com

Hmmm.

Yeah The Cricketer Magazine bought them out until the ECB pressured them into stopping last year (I think). Since then it's been abandoned but the totally coincidentally nearly identical Guerilla Cricket has sprung up in its place - http://guerillacricket.com/ a friend of mine has done some production work for them and says it's heaps of fun