Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Toxsyl
Sep 23, 2012

Somewhere along the line Jill lost a chromosome.

But she kept dat ass.
Having chiseled abs is mostly an aesthetic thing really, it doesn't do much for you other than sex appeal. Plus, some body type can't do chiseled abs well.

Anyway, back to dragon ball proper, Vegeta trying to live a mundane life is best because I'm tired and bored of Goku, and seeing a once genocidal maniac being a semi loving father/husband is the best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Toxsyl posted:

I'm tired and bored of Goku.

Hmm, I see. Maybe Dragon Ball isn't for you then. Perhaps try some other form of entertainment.

Toxsyl
Sep 23, 2012

Somewhere along the line Jill lost a chromosome.

But she kept dat ass.

facebook jihad posted:

Hmm, I see. Maybe Dragon Ball isn't for you then. Perhaps try some other form of entertainment.

I stay for Vegeta and Piccolo. Beerus and Whis only help this decision.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Neo_Crimson posted:

Doing ab exercises won't get you visible abs by itself, that comes from having low enough body fat.

Powerlifters look like that by working out and eating tons. Pambukin looks like that by killing aliens and eating them.

Gotcha. I spoke out of my rear end and got corrected: story of my life. Still, cool to know.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
I'm worried that they're messing with Beerus' personality. He's just being a prick right now. That planet seemed fun.

Thunderbro
Sep 1, 2008

New Leaf posted:

I'm worried that they're messing with Beerus' personality. He's just being a prick right now. That planet seemed fun.

that's exactly what his personality is. he's an rear end in a top hat force of nature

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
He's called the God of Destruction for a reason.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Yeah, that's one of the reasons why I find the end of Battle of Gods a little incongruous, personally speaking. While I get Goku being cool with Beerus, the rest of them just accepting his apology and generally treating him like an acquaintance who got a little rowdy seemed off. Like, he is a prick who wipes out entire worlds for petty reasons.

Then again, Piccolo...Vegeta...Majin Buu...nevermind.

Squall
Mar 10, 2010

"...whatever."
Well, I mean, they could just treat him like a prick and die with their planet I guess? :v:

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Covok posted:

Yeah, that's one of the reasons why I find the end of Battle of Gods a little incongruous, personally speaking. While I get Goku being cool with Beerus, the rest of them just accepting his apology and generally treating him like an acquaintance who got a little rowdy seemed off. Like, he is a prick who wipes out entire worlds for petty reasons.

Then again, Piccolo...Vegeta...Majin Buu...nevermind.

This is someone who Vegeta is literally scared shitless of.

Vegeta has been outclassed countless times before, yet just hearing Beerus's name turned him into that.

Everyone else is going to be nice as all hell to the dude who is willing to destroy a planet on a whim.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Goku would be ashamed of you.
Really enjoying the episodes so far and the low-key buildup to the action is a great move.

But goddamn the animation is seriously dragging the show down. I know you guys disagree with me and already dogpiled me for my opinions several pages back but I still don't understand how you can all look at this animation and not see how lazy and lowest bidder it is. Not only is it awful compared to the original show, but it's even awful compared to contemporary anime. It looks like this shows budget is whatever change Toei's CEO had in his couch.

The plot and everything is stellar, but actually watching it makes me sad.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
What's neat about Beerus is that he's treated as a capricious force of nature much in the same way as Greek Gods are. Hard to call benevolent from his actions, but not really villainous either. He's above petty mortal morality in every sense, so you just keep your head down, try to keep on his good side, and thank Gamikai if he decides to help you.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
*haven't watched episode 2 yet*

Did he give any particular reason for blowing up the latest planet?

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

Toxsyl posted:

I stay for Vegeta and Piccolo.

Watch androids saga I guess?

It seems like they're making DB Super into the Goku and Vegeta show. Piccolo being important would be nice but unless they power him up I don't see how that would happen.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Pureauthor posted:

*haven't watched episode 2 yet*

Did he give any particular reason for blowing up the latest planet?

Whis took too long getting Dinosaur Meat and the Super Caveman attacked him.

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

I'll remind you that I have a very large stick.

Neo_Crimson posted:

What's neat about Beerus is that he's treated as a capricious force of nature much in the same way as Greek Gods are. Hard to call benevolent from his actions, but not really villainous either. He's above petty mortal morality in every sense, so you just keep your head down, try to keep on his good side, and thank Gamikai if he decides to help you.

Beerus' morality boils down to one thing: CAT.

Tell me that his actions AREN'T what you would expect from a cat with godlike powers. Cat person. God Alien. Thing.

Spiteful, prone to fits of anger at the drop of a hat, sleeps for-goddamn-ever, constantly acts like he's hungry but can be insanely picky...

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

StrifeHira posted:

Beerus' morality boils down to one thing: CAT.

Tell me that his actions AREN'T what you would expect from a cat with godlike powers. Cat person. God Alien. Thing.

Spiteful, prone to fits of anger at the drop of a hat, sleeps for-goddamn-ever, constantly acts like he's hungry but can be insanely picky...

Gotta love space cats.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Esroc posted:

Really enjoying the episodes so far and the low-key buildup to the action is a great move.

But goddamn the animation is seriously dragging the show down. I know you guys disagree with me and already dogpiled me for my opinions several pages back but I still don't understand how you can all look at this animation and not see how lazy and lowest bidder it is. Not only is it awful compared to the original show, but it's even awful compared to contemporary anime. It looks like this shows budget is whatever change Toei's CEO had in his couch.

The plot and everything is stellar, but actually watching it makes me sad.

The animation is fine, I have literally no idea what you're talking about. In this very episode they did a flashback to Buu era Vegeta and the super saiyan bargain sale and it was jarring how awful that looked compared to the current style. Are they clearly being frugal with their budget? Absolutely, but why on earth would you want them to blow their budget on fun slice of life episodes?

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Goku would be ashamed of you.

Caros posted:

The animation is fine, I have literally no idea what you're talking about. In this very episode they did a flashback to Buu era Vegeta and the super saiyan bargain sale and it was jarring how awful that looked compared to the current style. Are they clearly being frugal with their budget? Absolutely, but why on earth would you want them to blow their budget on fun slice of life episodes?

This is what I'm talking about though. When I saw that flashback I laughed because to me it was jarring how much that animation was lightyears better than the new stuff surrounding it. I get it, I'm wrong and none of you agree with me, but I really can't wrap my mind around why. From my point of view the old animation is clearly superior in every way. We'll just have to agree to disagree but this is an instance where I'm convinced you're all loving with me because I literally cannot fathom seeing the new animation as better than the old. Especially when the new episode had them compared side by side.

To each their own, I guess.

filthychimp
Jan 2, 2006
Damned dirty ape
You're right in that Super is definitely a budget-conscious production, and the parts the look bad really stand out as being lazy more than anything else.

But man, the Kai scene looks like garbage. The colors are awful, there's too much filtering, and it's clearly just zoomed in 4:3 footage. And it's in there because Super didn't have the time or money to reanimate it.

So yeah, DBZ has never really looked good.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

filthychimp posted:

So yeah, DBZ has never really looked good.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RuViG2-w_To
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6s0f3WT_VWw

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
movies don't count and you know it

Thunderbro
Sep 1, 2008

Esroc posted:

This is what I'm talking about though. When I saw that flashback I laughed because to me it was jarring how much that animation was lightyears better than the new stuff surrounding it. I get it, I'm wrong and none of you agree with me, but I really can't wrap my mind around why. From my point of view the old animation is clearly superior in every way. We'll just have to agree to disagree but this is an instance where I'm convinced you're all loving with me because I literally cannot fathom seeing the new animation as better than the old. Especially when the new episode had them compared side by side.

To each their own, I guess.

I think your perspective is off dude. If you want to see some legitimately bad animation go look at a recent episode of One Piece, Naruto, or Bleach. Everything in Super so far is clean, well-drawn, and vibrant. You're just saying it's bad but not specifically pointing out a single thing about why it is so. The character art is a stylistic choice and the backgrounds and SFX are all pretty detailed. I think you might just hate change, or you're trying to compare a series already greenlit for 100+ episodes of budget to something like Stardust Crusaders.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.

gently caress man, the fighting in the earlier movies was so good. The choreography was totally on point and attacks felt so physical. That elbow right in the face at one minute in had such power behind it.

Side note, I have been repeatedly watching the moment where Goku uses Kaioken x4 during the beam struggle (at 3:21) and I cannot work out what the dub voice actor says. It sounds like he just screams gibberish. Can anyone figure it out?

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

SatansBestBuddy posted:

movies don't count and you know it

the movies count more than anything else actually since 90% of the popular conception of dbz comes from them

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

In It For The Tank posted:

Side note, I have been repeatedly watching the moment where Goku uses Kaioken x4 during the beam struggle (at 3:21) and I cannot work out what the dub voice actor says. It sounds like he just screams gibberish. Can anyone figure it out?

Sounds like he's yelling "GONNA WEAR OUT!!!!" to me, as in he's concerned about becoming worn out from the beam struggle and the Kaioken I guess?

I had this dub of the movie on a VHS as a kid, and I was never able to make complete sense of this line.

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

Gotta love space cats.

Not gonna lie I would totally watch 20-something minutes of Dandy, QT, Meow, and Beerus hanging out, doing things. They seem like they'd kinda "get" one another. Wouldn't be the first god Dandy's met, either.

Stairmaster posted:

the movies count more than anything else actually since 90% of the popular conception of dbz comes from them

Well if that's true then why not post the most prettiest one?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3rpbYJQPuWs

Huh? HUH?!

Really though that movie is gorgeous.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

nobody cares about dragon ball

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

Stairmaster posted:

nobody cares about dragon ball

Then why is Roshi in the new movie, kicking rear end?

:colbert:

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

gently caress man, the fighting in the earlier movies was so good. The choreography was totally on point and attacks felt so physical. That elbow right in the face at one minute in had such power behind it.

I figure he's saying Power Up, if my copy of it on DVD(the original US release at that) wasn't so scratched up and worn out I'd double check to see what the subtitles say, also that still remains one of the best Kamehameha's ever done in my opinion, up there with Goku vs Vegeta's Galick Gun, and Roshi both using it for the first time and when he blew up the Moon with it, oh and Gohan vs Cell almost forgot about that one

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Let'en my post flyen true

"NOW I ROCK!!"

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

Thunderbro posted:

that's exactly what his personality is. he's an rear end in a top hat force of nature

rear end in a top hat of nature.
Force of rear end in a top hat?

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?

Thunderbro posted:

See, I know people are going to rail against me, but the only time we saw him before Super, he said he was going to blow up Earth over something stupid and he zapped a rock. This time he went to a planet unannounced, tried to steal their dinner, changed his mind, then blew the whole thing up. That isn't quite the same thing.

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous
Yeah, it always seemed like he was just doing his job before.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Maybe he has a quota for blowing poo poo up and the caveman planet was as good as any other

Mazreal
Oct 5, 2002

adjusts monocle
hes basically galactus

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

StrifeHira posted:

Not gonna lie I would totally watch 20-something minutes of Dandy, QT, Meow, and Beerus hanging out, doing things. They seem like they'd kinda "get" one another. Wouldn't be the first god Dandy's met, either.

Dandy is the single chillest dude in the universe, he and Beerus could hang out for eons without getting bored of each other.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Beerus is literally a galactic supermurderer. He only didn't blow up Earth because he wanted to legitimately fight Goku more not because he's a secretly good guy. That said Goku's circle of friends includes at least one galactic supermurderer of lesser scale, an ex evil king who killed him once and at least two people who would have willingly murdered him if they could have.

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous
Well Goku never was the force of good that people seem to think he is. Even though the whole bad dad joke is getting old, he's not even that nice of a person. He could be like Superman, saving people across the world, even the universe, but he'd rather get his training fix.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

Beerus is literally a galactic supermurderer. He only didn't blow up Earth because he wanted to legitimately fight Goku more not because he's a secretly good guy. That said Goku's circle of friends includes at least one galactic supermurderer of lesser scale, an ex evil king who killed him once and at least two people who would have willingly murdered him if they could have.

and that weird freak, Yamcha.

• Locked thread