Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Bad Seafood posted:

Probably because he was hungry.

Is it that unbelievable he might've broken into Ringo's house looking for food?

No due to the entire murdering his family thing and trying to rape him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

MonsterEnvy posted:

Okay, so things got a little out of hand, but it doesn't mean he wasn't hungry.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Jose posted:

Regarding the end of steel ball run what exactly caused Zepelli to die? I can't really remember

Its been a while since I've read them but I feel like parts 5 and 6 relied on the main characters getting through fights through sheer luck a few times. Am I misremembering that too? Maybe its time to read all of Jojo again

Love Train moved the little nick Gyro got to his heart because it gives Valentine good luck and repels bad luck.
Gyro being alive is bad for him.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

MonsterEnvy posted:

The first thing he does upon finding Ringo is complain he thought the house didn't have anything worth taking. Unkempt, wearing a uniform, he's most likely a deserter on the run (much like Ringo's own father who was caught, imprisoned, and died) looking for supplies. Yeah he killed Ringo's family and tried to sexually assault the kid, but he didn't break in with that express purpose. The soldier, starving, most likely found the farm and only saw Ringo's mother and sisters working it. He was surprised to find Ringo inside. He simply killed the rest of the family, so it's unlikely he was "Interested" in any of them. He was a big, strong man and they weren't, so he killed them and was tossing their house for food, maybe new clothes, anything useful.

At some point he found a potato and started eating it. Fugitives get hungry. Then he found Ringo and Ringo shot him.

Bad Seafood fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Jul 11, 2015

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

Jojo Thread posted:

King Crimson

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Bad Seafood posted:

The first thing he does upon finding Ringo is complain he thought the house didn't have anything worth taking. Unkempt, wearing a uniform, he's most likely a deserter on the run (much like Ringo's own father who was caught, imprisoned, and died) looking for supplies. Yeah he killed Ringo's family and tried to sexually assault the kid, but he didn't break in with that express purpose. The soldier, starving, most likely found the farm and only saw Ringo's mother and sisters working it. He was surprised to find Ringo inside. He simply killed the rest of the family, so it's unlikely he was "Interested" in any of them. He was a big, strong man and they weren't, so he killed them and was tossing their house for food, maybe new clothes, anything useful.

At some point he found a potato and started eating it. Fugitives get hungry. Then he found Ringo and Ringo shot him.

And before he was shot attempted to rape the young boy. Because he was a piece of poo poo who murdered a family in order to loot their house.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

"Why was the dude who tried to rape Ringo eating a potato?"

"Probably because he was hungry."

"He was a piece of poo poo!"

"A hungry piece of poo poo."

"But what about the part where he was a piece of poo poo?"

"What about the part where I'm just demystifying why he's eating a potato?"

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Like I'm not sure where you're going with this line of posting, but I was never implying he wasn't a monster or didn't deserve to get shot.

He's a cowardly, thieving, murderous, rapist pedophile. Who was also hungry. He probably stumbled into their house looking to loot the place. He found a potato and started eating it. That he also killed most of the inhabitants and tried to force himself on a child (who in turn shot him in the head) is all true but has little bearing on the mystery behind his potato eating proclivities.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

The mere concept of a bad person eating a raw potato is utterly incomprehensible to me.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
What if Potato Pedo and Alessi teamed up

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Helim needed to be invisible.

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

What if Potato Pedo and Alessi teamed up
Alessi could de-age cooked potatoes to raw potatoes, perfect

that's what you meant right

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer

tiistai posted:

That would be a paradox, you can't die and walk up stairs at the same time.
Notorious B.I.G. could.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
I finally convinced a friend of mine to read Steel Ball Run.

They spent, like, an hour laughing at this panel.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I'm sorry for bringing up the potato.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
JoJo is pretty good at facial deformation

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so
Reading Part 5 and holy poo poo Baby Face is the most hosed-up Stand ever

Davinci
Feb 21, 2013
I'm reading the Green Tomb Stone Chapter of Part 7 right now and holy toledo. This encounter, and the previous couple fights, especially the one with Ringo, have been really, really good. I'm already liking Steel Ball Run much better than I did Stone ocean. I love that the Stands in this part are much more utilitarian and really integrate themselves into the character to play to their strengths and motivations rather than just being a wacky power some guy has. I got a sense of that in Stone Ocean with Pucci and how he talked about how his fixation on keeping memories manifested itself as Whitesnake, and as it evolved it changed to his more recent fixation on gravity and destiny. But in Steel Ball Run, it seems to be that way with pretty much every character. I've really been nothing but impressed with Steel Ball Run, even in the first few chapters before Stands were playing a major role, Araki still managed to make horse racing just as gripping and intense as any stand battle. I've already been spoiled on the facts that Tusk gets upgraded to a punchghost, and that Dio somehow gets The World (wtf???) and I absolutely can't wait to get to those parts to find out just what the cause and effects of these are going to be on the story.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
Okay so Jousuke is every Jojo. I'm just waiting for Soft and Wet to start growing vines everywhere at this point.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

johnny has the early jojos on lockdown, so gappy has more to do with the next couple than anything. if/when there's another arc after jojolion i'm expecting arcs 5 and 6 to come into play, which would honestly be a good stopping point given how stone ocean was the 'end' of the previous run of things.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

johnny has the early jojos on lockdown, so gappy has more to do with the next couple than anything. if/when there's another arc after jojolion i'm expecting arcs 5 and 6 to come into play, which would honestly be a good stopping point given how stone ocean was the 'end' of the previous run of things.

Uh JoJo's is never going to end. When people start to get too suspicious Araki is going to fake his own death and then start making an oddly similar Western comic in America.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

Uh JoJo's is never going to end. When people start to get too suspicious Araki is going to fake his own death and then start making an oddly similar Western comic in America.

The Unconventional Expeditions of Joey Joe Joe

Daxing Dan
Apr 2, 2015

Damn it, why it does need to remain only four bullets!?

Deltasquid posted:

I wished all his jokes got some sort of explanation at the end of the chapter because either they're forced and weird or totally lost in translation. The one Diego makes sounds like it would've been amazing in a terrible way judging by the translator's note, but some are just left as this weird nonsensical translation and I always wonder what the Japanese pun was.

I vaguely recall this part making no sense at all in the translation, but Diego's jokes were actually a pair of really bad puns that go something like this in the original script:

Q: A pack of cougars and a pack of snakes were blocking the way. Which one do you think let me through?
A: It was the snakes moved out of the way for me. Hahahaha, get it?*
P.S. Oh, and then later, the cougars attacked us because they thought we were tasty.**

*TL Note: "A venomous snake" is dokuhebi in Japanese, while "A snake that moves out of the way" is "michi o doku hebi." Hilarious, right?
**TL Note: "Tasty" and "horse" are also sorta like homophones in Japanese.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Puns are the most powerful stand ability.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Bad Seafood posted:

Puns are the most powerful stand ability.

Wasn't that what Echoes Act 3 more or less comes down to?

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

FirstAidKite posted:

Wasn't that what Echoes Act 3 more or less comes down to?

Pretty much, though it only ever uses freeze. So I guess Koichi is just really poo poo at puns.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
Koichi is a true OG, poo poo gets in his face and he yells HOLD UP and they do

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Let's kill da ho, beeeeeeeeeetch

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Echos Act 3 proves that, deep down inside, Koichi is a gangsta motherfucker.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
I thought Diego's joke made more sense than most of gyro's. At least the translators changed the joke to help it make sense: the snakes were assssssleep!

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

If you're not taking extensive Japanese lessons with a professional and highly acclaimed teacher at an extremely high cost just so that you can understand Gyro Zeppeli's legitimately funny jokes, I don't know if you're a true JoJo fan.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Gryo's jokes are legit.

Having a friend means making dumb jokes only the two of you get that everyone else thinks are stupid.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Daxing Dan posted:

I vaguely recall this part making no sense at all in the translation, but Diego's jokes were actually a pair of really bad puns that go something like this in the original script:

Q: A pack of cougars and a pack of snakes were blocking the way. Which one do you think let me through?
A: It was the snakes moved out of the way for me. Hahahaha, get it?*
P.S. Oh, and then later, the cougars attacked us because they thought we were tasty.**

*TL Note: "A venomous snake" is dokuhebi in Japanese, while "A snake that moves out of the way" is "michi o doku hebi." Hilarious, right?
**TL Note: "Tasty" and "horse" are also sorta like homophones in Japanese.

Deltasquid posted:

Oh no, I mean, I like Diego's. That one I "got". But then there's some Gyro makes that are completely nonsensical and could've used some sort of translator's note, even if it's just "Yeah, it's that bad" so I know I'm not missing anything.
Also I thought Diego was cool and even understandable/relateable in a weird way. Dude had a messed up childhood that basically formed his whole identity, and then a bunch of assholes try to screw him over during races. And as far as tritagonists go, there's worse deals than "Recurring rival who ends up fighting the big bad and almost wins".

It's Gyro's jokes that confuse me. Diego's one is the example I used of translator's notes explaining it well. Might be why I like Diego so much, his bad puns are right up my alley.

Daxing Dan
Apr 2, 2015

Damn it, why it does need to remain only four bullets!?

Deltasquid posted:

It's Gyro's jokes that confuse me. Diego's one is the example I used of translator's notes explaining it well. Might be why I like Diego so much, his bad puns are right up my alley.

In Gyro's joke where he goes "let me through", he flashes 4-2-0 with his hands as he talks. This is because 4-2-0 can be read as "shi-tsu-rei", which is "excuse me" in Japanese. I don't think any of the others are supposed to be puns or anything, Gyro just has a weird sense of humor.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Gyro is like a Japanese/Neapolitan Mitch Hedberg.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

8 mins of EoH Demo 2 gameplay

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRSU0Z999x0

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
that looks awful and Im probably gonna buy it

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

It seems improved somewhat over Demo 1, but it still doesn't look very good at all. The N'Doul vision needs tuning badly.

e:

e2: Demo 2 "confirmed" for this Thursday (Japan time) but solid sources hard to find for that. Steel Ball Jack, the dude who translates the trailers and ingame menus for Demo 1, said it on his YT though.

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 11:47 on Jul 14, 2015

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
Look at those perfectly angular arms.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

http://www.famitsu.com/news/201507/14082557.html

This is the source for demo 2 coming out on the 17th.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Can N'Doul even loving attack when not in Geb mode?