Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

All aboard the Gravy train!
Hair Elf

Bob Morales posted:

I still have you beat

What's his filled with?

Sweet lord. :stare:

We tend to have a problem with automated monitoring emails for our servers, maybe that's the cause? We get email alerts very aggressively, but in a team of like 20, only 2-3 people actually look at the emails throughout the day. Over the weekend we have a maintenance window, but email alerts are not turned off, so when I come in on Monday morning I have about 5000 monitor alert emails. I, along with most of us here, tend to do a good job deleting this stuff and setting up Outlook filters, but I could imagine somebody who doesn't will have his/her file grow like crazy very quickly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Tailored Sauce posted:

Sweet lord. :stare:

We tend to have a problem with automated monitoring emails for our servers, maybe that's the cause? We get email alerts very aggressively, but in a team of like 20, only 2-3 people actually look at the emails throughout the day. Over the weekend we have a maintenance window, but email alerts are not turned off, so when I come in on Monday morning I have about 5000 monitor alert emails. I, along with most of us here, tend to do a good job deleting this stuff and setting up Outlook filters, but I could imagine somebody who doesn't will have his/her file grow like crazy very quickly.

We did cool poo poo like have an email with a PDF of a each order/booking sent to everyone in the department. Why? So we had a record of it. Why don't we just have them look the order back up 'in the system' where we keep everything anyway?

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
I had a client that did graphic design work, and would constantly email huge files back and forth. They had an in-house exchange server with this really neat add-on that would go through emails and grab any attachments larger than a certain threshold, and strip them from the message and insert a weblink instead. The server they lived on had a password system and all that so it wasn't public. It was really neat, and worked well. I think Apple Mail does that now, but this was maybe 2006, with in-house exchange.

Oh, also, this reminds me of an anecdote.

So this same customer paid my company to do an exchange migration with DR, and a ton of redundancy. We spent weeks setting it up and doing all the work. The over a weekend we migrated everyone to the new server. Sunday night we shake hands with the client's in house IT-manager, and say "see you Monday". We show up Monday at 10am and his desk was cleaned out. Turned out he was fired that morning for using the company credit card to do his christmas shopping. We walk in and his director says "who are you guys?" No one besides the IT Manager know who we were since he didn't really have any documentation on what we were doing other than a T&L Contract with us that said one line item "Exchange Migration".

My poorly managed company had to fight them for weeks to get paid, and that company fought with us for weeks to figure out what was going on and how their new system was setup, since we didn't share our docs with them until we got paid. Also the migration was done so poorly, I don't think our main engineer wanted to admit it. It was sort of like "eh, we'll fix it later" but later didn't come, so they were running with a bunch of servers with just Wink2k8 on them and nothing else, but they paid for all sorts of clustering and redundancy.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Annoying poo poo: arriving on site to unfinished "everything". Literally no external signals hooked up.

Not so annoying: one hour lunch while they finish cabling and terminating so we can actually do our job :v:

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time
Last week I was tasked with filtering out items from other users in a tool that only a few people use. Originally the idea was that everyone would work on the same stuff, but now there is one more person, so there is no conceivable way for everyone to work together without stepping on each others toes.

One user had two logins for some reason. He's a sales guy and has enough trouble with computery stuff to begin with, so we probably just added the other account because it was easier than telling him his actual username for the 15th time.

Anyway, now that we're filtering items by user, he can't have two accounts, if only for sanity's sake.

We reached out to this user to ask him which username he logs in with, because we'll be disabling the other account. He promptly responded with the username (and password) he uses to log into this tool. Cool, ok. Whatever, the other login is disabled.

This morning, he sends us an email asking why he can't login. For whatever reason, he needs to use the other account that we disabled, and not the one that he told us on Tuesday that he used exclusively. We couldn't be any clearer with this guy. We told him we would be disabling the account he didn't use, and that we needed the account he did use. I'm looking at the email now, he said, "Here is what I use to log in."

:sludgepal:

Westie
May 30, 2013

Baboon Simulator
Is wanting to fall asleep for the entire day an acceptable use of work time? I don't get this place. There's something about it that just makes me want to sleep. When I get to work I'm full of energy, when I leave I'm full of energy, but this place... it just wants to make me sleep. All day loving long.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Location triggered depression?

I don't know if that's actually a thing or not.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

I start to feel tired and gloomy if I sit in my basement office with no windows too long. Walks outside every hour or two help alleviate it.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Westie posted:

Is wanting to fall asleep for the entire day an acceptable use of work time? I don't get this place. There's something about it that just makes me want to sleep. When I get to work I'm full of energy, when I leave I'm full of energy, but this place... it just wants to make me sleep. All day loving long.

You have a job that is literally sucking the life out of you. Condolences.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
Office I work at is near some protected wetlands so we get all sorts of weird pollens and stuff. If I don't pop antihistamines I'll be a drowsy mess all through the day.

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

Gothmog1065 posted:

Please for the love of god someone come in even earlier and turn on the loving AC. It should not blow hot air on my face when I open the door from the already incredibly hot and humid outside temperature. I should not have to sit in this hot rear end environment for two hours sweating my balls off sitting in my chair.

loving air conditioning is unwinnable office politics in itself, I need to sneak an engineer in to quote the setup for remote access and make a business case so people don't have to go back and forth to the central AC computer when people start bitching when it's warm enough to sustain human life.

For most of the day its been set to quite chilly, it was bloody warmer outside even when it was raining.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer

Westie posted:

This happens to me too, but for me it's because I fall asleep in temperature controlled environments.

Air conditioning puts me to sleep. No matter where I am. As long as I'm in a stationary position for an extended period of time.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009

Super Slash posted:

loving air conditioning is unwinnable office politics in itself, I need to sneak an engineer in to quote the setup for remote access and make a business case so people don't have to go back and forth to the central AC computer when people start bitching when it's warm enough to sustain human life.

For most of the day its been set to quite chilly, it was bloody warmer outside even when it was raining.

Well, I"m in a school. We're on 10 hour shifts and everyone is working 4 day workweeks for July. The turn the AC off (Completely) over the weekend to save money. It takes about 3 hours for the building to cool back down to somewhat reasonable temperatures.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Gothmog1065 posted:

Well, I"m in a school. We're on 10 hour shifts and everyone is working 4 day workweeks for July. The turn the AC off (Completely) over the weekend to save money. It takes about 3 hours for the building to cool back down to somewhat reasonable temperatures.

Beats the hell out of my office. Our AC control covers an L shape of offices. This means when the offices on one side of the L are getting direct sunlight and hot as hell, they adjust the thermostat so it's around 60F in my office. When they aren't getting the sun it roasts to the point where we brought in fans. I'm convinced that if I leave the office door open a weather system will setup in the doorway.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Is there a way to force Chrome to display PDFs inside the browser instead of downloading them? The behaviour varies by server for reasons I don't quite understand, but if there's a way to override it that would be great.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

anthonypants posted:

This guy left maybe five voicemails back to back, and two of them had no message in them. When I heard this first voicemail, I wasn't completely convinced he was talking to or about us: http://tindeck.com/listen/nrkan

But then, I listened to this voicemail: http://tindeck.com/listen/dvclh

You should turn down your volume for that second one, and :nws: for language if you've got speakers.

I think you're getting crank-called by the Tasmanian Devil.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Thanks Ants posted:

Is there a way to force Chrome to display PDFs inside the browser instead of downloading them? The behaviour varies by server for reasons I don't quite understand, but if there's a way to override it that would be great.
Something like this? the goal to change Content-Disposition: attachment to Content-Disposition: inline

beepsandboops
Jan 28, 2014

anthonypants posted:

This guy left maybe five voicemails back to back, and two of them had no message in them. When I heard this first voicemail, I wasn't completely convinced he was talking to or about us: http://tindeck.com/listen/nrkan

But then, I listened to this voicemail: http://tindeck.com/listen/dvclh

You should turn down your volume for that second one, and :nws: for language if you've got speakers.
Dear God :stare:

Is this the same guy who left you that other voicemail you posted a while back? I hope he's no longer a client

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

The Fool posted:

Location triggered depression?

I don't know if that's actually a thing or not.

Pavlovian response is!

There’s a reason that when you start talking generalized depression one of the easy initial fixes is “get out of the house, get a change of scenery”. If you spend a lot of time in one spot in one emotional state, you’re going to start feeling that way in that spot even if you didn’t come in feeling like it. It’s nostalgia’s evil twin.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Mogomra posted:

he said, "Here is what I use to log in on Tuesdays after 1 PM for no reason. However every other day I use the other login so definitely don't delete it actually you know what you probably don't care about that so I'm just going to not even type this part out and just say it in my head and blame you later if you didn't hear it."

I think that's probably a bit more accurate.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
I was on the road today and visited our other IT office. I didn't realize how bad our group had it until people would ask "Hey, is it true that you guys aren't given access to things you have support?" and "Really, you aren't told about projects, your boss does everything?"
I have a bad feeling that eventually things are going to go pear shaped if this has spread that far. I'd worry about it reaching our department head, but he gives so little a poo poo about our department that he hasn't once talked to us. He sat in a empty cube in our area, and didn't say anything to us, only to our manager. Weirdest poo poo I've ever seen.

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

I am very particular about biscuits, I'll have you know.
Tomorrow should be fun since our products require Flash and Java, and management has put off development into a html5 replacement since forever. Firefox is blocking the Flash plugin and that's 80% of our user base.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Our call center agent front-end runs off a web UI, on a server that requires HTTPS. The certificates are self-signed, for the wrong hostnames, using algorithms blacklisted by Firefox. The UI is glitchy in every other browser than Firefox.
Apparently replacing the certs is a major problem.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
It's interesting what that recent Firefox change to block weak DH keys flushed out

Bohemian Cowabunga
Mar 24, 2008

If a certain 3rd party application is your main tool, you might wanna consider to plan your work processes with its limitations in mind instead of bitching to IT about it and constantly report "errors" that you know perfectly well is expected behavior.
Or you know, ask us to look for another tool that better fits the way you work in the department.

:sigh:

Bohemian Cowabunga fucked around with this message at 12:53 on Jul 14, 2015

Maniaman
Mar 3, 2006
We're on our 5th or 6th CryptoLocker outbreak in the past 5 days. Hooray for backups.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday
I've just been informed that company policy is "Never ever delete computer objects in Active Directory. Ever. On any of the dozen domains that are all at least ten years old. We might need those objects one day."

Zombie servers outnumber living machines seven to one. Someone get me some gasoline and a machete.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Wizard of the Deep posted:

I've just been informed that company policy is "Never ever delete computer objects in Active Directory. Ever. On any of the dozen domains that are all at least ten years old. We might need those objects one day."

Zombie servers outnumber living machines seven to one. Someone get me some gasoline and a machete.

Is there a reason you want to delete the objects?

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Sickening posted:

Is there a reason you want to delete the objects?

The servers themselves have been decommissioned, some almost a decade ago. The objects have never been disabled, moved to an "inactive" OU, or flagged in any way. There's literally no way to tell what's actually on the environment, besides pinging and praying.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

The servers themselves have been decommissioned, some almost a decade ago. The objects have never been disabled, moved to an "inactive" OU, or flagged in any way. There's literally no way to tell what's actually on the environment, besides pinging and praying.

Seems incredibly easy to disable and move all the inactive objects. That is basic powershell 101.

I honestly agree with never deleting objects. There just isn't any upside with doing so these days. Never disabling or moving is kind of dumb though.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Oh yea, moving and disabling is easy enough. It's the existing policy and process that's the issue.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Oh yea, moving and disabling is easy enough. It's the existing policy and process that's the issue.

So you can't disable and move then either? That is totally different than the policy not being able to delete them.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Still working on figuring that part out. It looks like the policy simply didn't address it, so nobody's ever done anything about it.

My last place has over 2000 Windows servers across a couple of domains. Policy there was to delete the object as one of the first steps in the decom process. If nobody in the four distinct decom review committees threw a yellow flag, it's really going bye-bye. We were probably averaging five new/replacement servers a week there. They'll still be replacing 2003 when 2008 is EOL.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Ursine Asylum posted:

Pavlovian response is!

There’s a reason that when you start talking generalized depression one of the easy initial fixes is “get out of the house, get a change of scenery”. If you spend a lot of time in one spot in one emotional state, you’re going to start feeling that way in that spot even if you didn’t come in feeling like it. It’s nostalgia’s evil twin.
I always wondered why I just sort of sink into my desk chair at home. Have you read anything about disassociating the setting with those negative feelings? It has followed me through two moves. It's kind of important for me to be able to use my computer. Maybe if I get a new desk chair it will feel different enough to not trigger it.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

I honestly don't think a new chair will help. You'll still be doing the same thing in the same place, only a bit more comfortably. What helped me get out of that rut was getting a small laptop. Whenever I wanted to do something that wasn't too intensive (gaming) but I wanted to write some emails, browse SA, watch a video or whatever, I'd use my laptop. It really helped being able to do those things wherever, so I broke the habit of just plopping down behind the desk when I got home or woke up (on a free day.) Instead I'd be sitting outside, on the couch, at the kitchen table, which was different enough for me that my desktop turned into something that I actually used for a purpose (play a game or study) instead of out of habit. I suppose a tablet instead of a laptop would work too, but I've never really used those. My dad does, though, and ever since he's been spending 90% of his time in the garden instead of in his office.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I have a pretty decent ThinkPad. I might use that. The chair is just the only decent place to sit in my room. I'll see if I can convince my fiancee to join me on the couch.

The chair, mouse, and keyboard are the only constants at this point. I have moved twice, got a new desk, and the room generally doesn't bother me. But maybe keeping out of the chair for now will help me keep productive after work.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Well, like I said, it's not just the location but it's everything, most importantly the fact that you're sitting behind a desk using your computer. Changing your monitor, chair or desk won't change the fact that you're still basically doing the same thing in the same way, just using different equipment. Maybe one of those standing desks would be the ticket. It'd also incentivize you not to use your desktop if you can use your tablet instead, and when you are using your desktop not to do it for too long stretches of time.

unclenutzzy
Jun 6, 2007

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I have a pretty decent ThinkPad. I might use that. The chair is just the only decent place to sit in my room. I'll see if I can convince my fiancee to join me on the couch.

The chair, mouse, and keyboard are the only constants at this point. I have moved twice, got a new desk, and the room generally doesn't bother me. But maybe keeping out of the chair for now will help me keep productive after work.

I've been trying to do the same thing this summer. After work, I used to just get home, make dinner and then sit at my computer or on the couch. I would try to study at my desk but I had a hard time not getting distracted with my own stuff. What really helped me was taking my laptop to the library or a coffee shop and working there. It was much easier for me to stay focused and productive after work just with different surroundings. Since I started doing this I'm much more productive when working at home though I still prefer to work elsewhere.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
I hate how Windows Update just shits the bed and there's nothing you can really do.

It's usually Windows 7. Won't scan for updates, won't accept manually downloaded updates, SFC detects problems but can't fix any of them, fix it tools do nothing, everything is a black box and I can't see what's going wrong. At least when APT goes stupid you'll get an error message.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

A ticket came in: "Can someone come up and help me reset my mail settings?"

Background: we migrated Exchange servers last month. We've had emails, documents pinned in the elevator and in the break areas, and VP-mandated, mandatory-attendance half-hour classes on what to do about the migration.

Augh.

Side note: I'm sure there's a better place to ask it, but I can't think of it: We're looking for a cell signal repeater. Most of our people are on Verizon, and I understand there are IP-connected and plain-old microwave repeater variants of these -- I'd be interested in investigating both. Any of you have any good experience with repeater hardware? Any pitfalls?