Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

The height post was a honeypot getting people to admit they own cars itt :smugdog:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Trucks and SUVs are much worse ergonomically for tall people than most passenger cars. Generally, the driver sits upright and sits with bent knees, similar to sitting in a chair whereas in a car, your legs extend out in front of you. Also, even with an extended or double cab the distance to move the seats back is quite limited.

Florida Betty
Sep 24, 2004

Update on the really stupid kid who passed out "souvenir" checks to his friends.

quote:

Thouhgt I should give an update. Thanks everyone for the advice. I still felt like I should try going to the cops, but everytime I wanted to, I kept getting nervous and chickened out. That lasted about a day, then it turns out my dad looked got a call from the bank and he went absolutely apesh*t.
They stopped all the checks and took my checkbook away. I have no idea if they got the money back from my friends, my dad left for work for a week and he’s not talking to me.
I probably won’t see him for a while because I leave for my trip this week and I’ll be gone for a while. I’m only getting $300 for the trip this time instead of $1000, but I guess it makes sense that im punished somehow.
Biggest lesson learned: don’t mess around with a checkbook, or if you need to, make sure to write void on the checks.

High Lord Elbow
Jun 21, 2013

"You can sit next to Elvira."
I'm not sure what's worse, that some idiot's best attempt to rebut a post they disagreed with was to dig through my previous posts and find one where I said I own a truck, or the fact that you're all still talking about how dumb tall people are for owning trucks instead of shitbox Corollas two days later.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Cicero posted:

If having lower capital gains taxes encourages investment, by the same logic doesn't having lower personal income taxes encourage working more? Which would imply that choosing to have capital gains taxes be lower is an expression of a preference for more investing over more working.

One issue with the logic is that netting a higher proportion of your income with lower tax actually discourages working more. If you have a lifestyle that you can maintain with 40 hours of work per week versus 50 you'd work 40. If you earn less that encourages working more especially when you are struggling to survive financially. Have a look at Greece where real earning power has dropped a lot and is dropping more they are working 10-12 hours per day and 6 to 7 days a week to get by.

Investments don't have the same workload attached to them as a job.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

High Lord Elbow posted:

I'm not sure what's worse, that some idiot's best attempt to rebut a post they disagreed with was to dig through my previous posts and find one where I said I own a truck, or the fact that you're all still talking about how dumb tall people are for owning trucks instead of shitbox Corollas two days later.

Either way, we all lose.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

High Lord Elbow posted:

High Lord Elbow posted:

So do blaming greedy banks while driving a shitbox Corolla your whole life because you made ill-informed decisions.

High Lord Elbow posted:

(That's not a humblebrag, I look down upon you Corolla-driving peasants with no humility whatsoever.)

Did a Corolla hit and kill your parents

Easychair Bootson
May 7, 2004

Where's the last guy?
Ultimo hombre.
Last man standing.
Must've been one.

Inept posted:

Did a Corolla hit and kill your parents

drat, the guy just opened up to us about his weight problem, can't you just leave him be?

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Don't worry, bad with cars crowd, you're in good company! Reddit delivers a BWM trifecta.

quote:

Based on my budget is it OK to buy a new car every 3 years? I like to keep a little up to date on car tech. I think I'm buying new cars and not losing much with this strategy.

Okay, maybe he's some sort of number wizard with experience who

quote:

Buy a $19k car every 3 years (pay in full), then sell it after 3 years for 13k...so basically always getting to drive a new car for a cost of $2k/yr (166/mo).

Nope, just bad with math. Hope he's some sort of millionaire that ca-

quote:

Salary: 38k

:stonklol:

Also he wants to churn Mazda 3s and is afraid of investing because he thinks stocks are due for a crash :allears:

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004
Haha that's a great post. In Oz Mazda is known for having a ridiculous service requirements. They charge and request a lot more inspections to keep up warranty. So that 20k Mazda is actually 25k over 3years.

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

Who had the BFC thread about buying a car that was around his yearly salary and justified the terrible financial plan by saying he had developed an appreciation for nicer cars, the way you might with fine dining?

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

Guest2553 posted:

Don't worry, bad with cars crowd, you're in good company! Reddit delivers a BWM trifecta.

I don't want to pick on them too much, what they want to do is a bit wasteful, but they've also got ~$190k in 401k, Roth IRA and savings and contributing a fair chunk into all 3 each month too.

app
Dec 16, 2014
$$$$$$$$$

As a percentage of annual income, where is the BWM threshold when it comes to spending on a car?

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

I've heard 50% of your income or less should be spent on fixed costs like rent, car payment, utilities, etc. so probably somewhere in the neighborhood of 10-15% of take-home pay per year.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

app posted:

As a percentage of annual income, where is the BWM threshold when it comes to spending on a car?

Something like the 10-15% but there are other rules of thumb that can be applied. If you need a car for work and you current car is poo poo and unreliable/broken then up to a 3 year loan or paying for the car completely is fine.

Five year loans seem common for underwater cars but there might be some exceptional circumstances where a five year loan is ok. However that ties in with the concept of being poor is expensive.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
It's nonlinear with income and depends a lot on your values, sorry for the vague answer but that's what I got.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

SpelledBackwards posted:

Who had the BFC thread about buying a car that was around his yearly salary and justified the terrible financial plan by saying he had developed an appreciation for nicer cars, the way you might with fine dining?

That'd be this one
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3713103

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

app posted:

Generally speaking you want the minimum possible jalopy; ideally any significant repair should total the car and give you an excuse to make a detailed post about your retirement savings rate to r/personalfinance

Zauper
Aug 21, 2008

Devian666 posted:

Something like the 10-15% but there are other rules of thumb that can be applied. If you need a car for work and you current car is poo poo and unreliable/broken then up to a 3 year loan or paying for the car completely is fine.

Five year loans seem common for underwater cars but there might be some exceptional circumstances where a five year loan is ok. However that ties in with the concept of being poor is expensive.

I've never really understood this threads obsession with not having loans ever, and especially not having long term loans.

My car (which I have cash on hand to pay off if I need to) is at a 1.97% rate, over 5 years. In what world is that BWM? You would easily expect any investment to pay off significantly more than the cost of that loan.

Same deal with a house. Why would I opt to not have a loan / have less of a loan when I can invest the money and make more, on average?

Obviously I need to not turn around and spend that money on bad things, like bitcoins or drugs or a credit card. But it's that spending -- in light of the debt -- that makes you BWM. Not carrying the debt on a low rate to begin with.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
So do you have the money invested or do you have it in cash?

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
Because your not pricing in the risk of your investment not paying out, and losing both your investment and house.

Zauper
Aug 21, 2008

blugu64 posted:

Because your not pricing in the risk of your investment not paying out, and losing both your investment and house.

So the answer is 'because risk'.

Except you make money by using leverage to have multiple investments such that any one investment going down doesn't tank the entirety of your investments (or you do things like index funds that have a similar purpose)? That's the entire point? And.... the investments tanking don't lose you both the investment and the house. You would need more than just that. And if you're okay with the risk... then you're okay with the risk. That's a question of risk tolerance, not a bad with money vs good with money. Otherwise keeping everything cash would be the best plan because then you can never risk losing your money.

e:MrK -

Enough to pay it off is in cash, because the emergency fund is sufficient to pay it off. The rest (i.e. distinct money saved for car) went into investments.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

blugu64 posted:

If index funds fall to 0, you should be more worried about how many bullets you own than how you are going to pay off your car loan. Your logic only applies if the purchase is a significant portion of your wealth. It's one thing if you are talking about a mortgage that's the same magnitude as your net worth - you're absolutely right in that case. That doesn't mean it's true if you have a 6 figure net worth and are deciding whether or not to take a loan on a 2006 honda - doing so and investing the difference is probably the right call because there isn't really any disproportionate risk.

kidhash
Jan 10, 2007

blugu64 posted:

My mortgage is 2.59%. My bank is offering 3% on Saving for the next 6 months. They are CDIC insured, so the risk is pretty minimal.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

kidhash posted:

My mortgage is 2.59%. My bank is offering 3% on Saving for the next 6 months. They are CDIC insured, so the risk is pretty minimal.

What bank is offering 3% savings rates.

Dwight Eisenhower
Jan 24, 2006

Indeed, I think that people want peace so much that one of these days governments had better get out of the way and let them have it.
Using a car instead of a motorcycle for personal transport is BWM. :colbert:

Better fuel economy, lower acquisition cost, slower depreciation for many brands, cheaper insurance, and you can make significant amounts of money off cash settlements for accidents that you're almost never at fault in if you survive!

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

silvergoose posted:

What bank is offering 3% savings rates.

Yeah please tell me what bank I can go to and get 3% on a six figure mortgage sized balance

Damn Bananas
Jul 1, 2007

You humans bore me
Dang, 3% that's amazing. I just checked mine (Chase) and it's 0.02%. Even if I opened a 10-year CD with 250k in it I'd only get 1.05%. poo poo, Chase sucks.

Speaking about BWM, that reminds me I should probably drain everything non-emergency fund / checking account buffer and invest it somewhere. Do BFC people generally prefer Vanguard for that, or is that mostly just for the recommended IRA stuff?

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Dwight Eisenhower posted:

Using a car instead of a motorcycle for personal transport is BWM. :colbert:

You misspelled bicycle

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

pig slut lisa posted:

You misspelled bicycle

I wish I could bike to work and not die :(

Mantle
May 15, 2004

BEHOLD: MY CAPE posted:

Yeah please tell me what bank I can go to and get 3% on a six figure mortgage sized balance

Tangerine posted:

You've been diligently growing your savings, so we're offering you this special interest rate to help your savings grow faster. Just keep your July, August and September deposits in your Savings Account(s) growing, and up to $500,000 of that money will earn 3.00% interest until the end of November.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost
Canadian bank Tangerine, formerly ING Direct and now a subsidiary of Scotiabank, is full of poo poo. You sign up for this awesome interest rate on your regular or TFSA savings account, which they don't tell you is a promotional-only rate (although it's buried in the terms of service somewhere). Then two months later they drop it to market rate or lower and now you're with a bank that doesn't have any branches and you have call India to get service. They did it to me and I immediately moved back to my old bank. I guess it's good with money if you take advantage of their referral code thing and sign a bunch of your friends up at $50 a pop, but staying with them is bad with money.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Canadians.

kidhash
Jan 10, 2007

Dillbag posted:

Canadian bank Tangerine, formerly ING Direct and now a subsidiary of Scotiabank, is full of poo poo. You sign up for this awesome interest rate on your regular or TFSA savings account, which they don't tell you is a promotional-only rate (although it's buried in the terms of service somewhere). Then two months later they drop it to market rate or lower and now you're with a bank that doesn't have any branches and you have call India to get service. They did it to me and I immediately moved back to my old bank. I guess it's good with money if you take advantage of their referral code thing and sign a bunch of your friends up at $50 a pop, but staying with them is bad with money.

It was extremely clear to me it was a promotional rate. 3% interest on up to $500000 until Dec 25th.

I'm not saying it works for everyone, but it's definitely possible to make more interest on savings than you're paying on a low-interest loan with fairly minimal risk.

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.
/r/Wallstreetbets in its entirety qualifies for this thread, but here is some grade A material.
https://www.reddit.com/r/wallstreetbets/comments/3cyc8r/on_monday_i_will_enter_a_true_real_and_final_yolo/

quote:

At this point, I am in so much trouble my life would make the Greece look like a child's play. I haven't paid my mortgage in seven months, My credit cards are maxed and my electricity is about to be cut. Just the interest on my credit card is raking in the hundreds every months. I haven't eaten anything fresh or new in a month and I survive on some cans I found in the back of my cabinet.
All this to say, on Monday, I will enter my true, final and ultimate Apple trade. Either I will go burning and crashing and lose whatever little money I have left, either I will get out of this for good. I am loving fed up with my life and the way it's been going.
On monday, I will sell EVERY stock I have left in my portfolio and go 100% into AAPL July 24th calls, strike price $125. No more Baba, no more GOOG, no more banks, no more GE, no more REIT, no more TSLA, no more ANYTHING and even no more AAPL.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

kidhash posted:

It was extremely clear to me it was a promotional rate. 3% interest on up to $500000 until Dec 25th.

I'm not saying it works for everyone, but it's definitely possible to make more interest on savings than you're paying on a low-interest loan with fairly minimal risk.

I've never, ever heard of such a rate in the US.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

kidhash posted:

kidhash posted:

So going by your numbers...

If you have half a million to invest like that and a half million dollar mortgage then you too can live the high life and earn $170 in three months. Exclusive of that tax you'd owe on the $1250 gross.

Not sure what a normal mortgage balance is like up there but if you've got 175k outstanding, and that much cash, you're looking at making less then $20 a month, for three promotional months...instead of having a fully paid off house.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

I think your math is wrong.

Regardless of that, if you have the full principle value of your house in an (insured) savings account, the only (non-psychological) benefit to having "a paid off house" is no interest payments. It's not like you can't lose your house anyway if you can't pay property tax, hoa fees, etc, does that mean you just shouldn't ever invest at all? Your argument is fully general in a way that doesn't make sense.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Jul 13, 2015

Zauper
Aug 21, 2008

blugu64 posted:

So going by your numbers...

If you have half a million to invest like that and a half million dollar mortgage then you too can live the high life and earn $170 in three months. Exclusive of that tax you'd owe on the $1250 gross.

Not sure what a normal mortgage balance is like up there but if you've got 175k outstanding, and that much cash, you're looking at making less then $20 a month, for three promotional months...instead of having a fully paid off house.

Again, you say that like having a mortgage is a bad thing.

Let's assume that I have a 30/yr mortgage @ 2.5% for the sake of round numbers. My monthly payment is $1,976 and over the course of 30 years, I will pay $711,218.

Let's assume that I've invested that 500k which gains an average of 7% per year. Let's assume that you invest an amount equal to my monthly payment into the same investment per monthly, while I invest nothing.

At the end of 30 years, I have $3.8M (500k principle, 3.2M returned by investment). You have $2.4M (711k principle, 1.7M returned).

Congratulations on your superior investment(?)

I also get the tax breaks of mortgage interest, of course.

It's very simplistic, but the model shows a simple truth: If you can outperform the interest rate on your loan (and can afford the monthly cashflow), it is better to invest money than pay more down.

If the investment tanks to $0, then you still have the portion of the house you own, and you're out a fair bit of money. That's a risk, but historically over the long run, the market has grown at 7%, so it's a pretty acceptable risk.
If you don't think you'd stay for a long time, it might be riskier because you could catch declining value on the home.
On the flipside, if you are capable of willing to do work on the home that will increase its value, then being more leveraged generates a higher ROI on the house as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Regardless of that, if you have the full principle value of your house in an (insured) savings account, the only (non-psychological) benefit to having "a paid off house" is no interest payments.

In a lot of states, the equity in your house is protected from lawsuits up to a certain point. For example, if I have a paid off house in Nevada, the money in my house can't be taken from me if I lose a lawsuit (up to $550k here).

• Locked thread