Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes
One of my Spirit of 77 events has been approved and made active. Still waiting on the second one.

https://www.gencon.com/events/82660

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Carteret posted:

....curfews?

when you have two cars for 7 people and aren't in walking distance yeah you kinda need to do that unless you feel like doing taxi stuff. that's what I'm saying, it sucks to have to say "look unless you want to get a taxi you can't stay at the con any later because the rest of us need to get to sleep so we can play in a tournament at 8am tomorrow".

Ego Trip
Aug 28, 2012

A tenacious little mouse!

Bucnasti posted:

One of my Spirit of 77 events has been approved and made active. Still waiting on the second one.

https://www.gencon.com/events/82660

Woot. Ticket purchased.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Oh man, Gen-Con curfews. That takes me back. Yeah for as much as it is not really that bad to stay at a non-connected hotel, it does get worse the larger your group gets, certainly. The year it was just me, my girlfriend, and my Beloved Goon Friend staying a half hour out, it was no biggie, because we could easily agree on when to go. But every new person you add runs the risk of something like "BUT I WANTED TO PLAY IN THE MIDNIGHT-4 LARP!!!"

Official Forums Update!
Mostly from like two months ago or more but uhhh I am behind

Uhhhhhh posted:

just wanting to know if a good amount of homestuck fans are gonna be there, if so, will there be a meetup so all us can just be nerds together
:(

Hmmmm posted:

$20 a person after tax? Man that's pricier than hitting most of the Steak places i go to...

(Though this is from my Pop Tarts For Dinner dude so I am not surprised, still kind of makes me feel for him again though)

:unsmith: posted:

I am constantly reading about people getting to spend time with "gen con friends" and I really want that to be a part of my con experience!
:|

Favorite recent post on the Gen-Con Forums: a troll who registered just to post that Las Vegas is a good place to move Gen-Con to because its "politics" seem a better fit for Gen-Con than Indianapolis. Because gay rights = prostitution, am I right guys?

EDIT: Oh I knew I was forgetting something

nesbit37 posted:

goon gencon challenge

I am at a games and education conference this weekend and was lucky enough to be introduced to a Project called siftr. This web based app is perfect for documenting events like gen con, so I challenge you all to add in images while you aRe at the con and before to help out fellow goons and posterity.

Just enter a throw away email and start taking images and entering commentary, other people can also enter comments on your images, take pics of cool things at gen con, good pLaces for food, good places to park whatever. Hell, we can even have scavenger hunts to do things like photograph and geocode 5 instances of gender bending sailor moons in costumes too smAll for their frames,

Take images, Add them to the app and help your fellow goons navigate the con. It will be great for a shared experience and future years in Indianapolis.

http://siftr.org/Gencon2015/

If anyone has questions let me know. I can also add in more tags than what are in there, so if there is a category that you believe would be worth filtering by let me know. Certainly nice to weed out everything but the food options when you are hungry, etc.
I have no idea what this is or how it works but it looks like fun.

Dr. Quarex fucked around with this message at 13:13 on Jul 11, 2015

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Is nerd trivia a thing this year? I haven't made it to a trivia night yet and I plan to this year.

Edit: Debating looking into a Cthulhu RPG. Anyone have a suggestion for which of the many Lovecraft inspired systems is the "best"?

Len fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Jul 12, 2015

Sionak
Dec 20, 2005

Mind flay the gap.
Both Call of Cthulhu and Trail of Cthulhu are solid, but I'd say Call of Cthulhu is a little easier to get into. Most of the rules boil down to "roll under your skill with percentile dice." The edition doesn't really matter too much, it hasn't changed hugely.

Delta Green is also built on the "percentile, roll under" ruleset.

Trail is still pretty easy to pick up, so if a particular game description speaks to you, I'd say go for it.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Sorting some of my (now ancient) CCG collections up for sale at the auction. Any tips? I'm not certain if I should put them on the block or in the store, since people can obviously take a better look at the store and any description on the block is going to be brief, but I admit it's going to be drat hard to figure out how to price them for the store if I do that.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Sionak posted:

Both Call of Cthulhu and Trail of Cthulhu are solid, but I'd say Call of Cthulhu is a little easier to get into. Most of the rules boil down to "roll under your skill with percentile dice." The edition doesn't really matter too much, it hasn't changed hugely.

Delta Green is also built on the "percentile, roll under" ruleset.

Trail is still pretty easy to pick up, so if a particular game description speaks to you, I'd say go for it.

If you want a fiddly, old school style game you should play a BRP game. BRP is Basic Role-Playing and the system that Chaosium has been pretty much using since they started. Call of Cthulhu, Delta Green, and The Laundry all use it and it's seen as the standard Cthulhu system for being older than anything else.

If you want more of a story driven game, go with Trail of Cthulhu. Trail is more about investigation and telling a story.

If you want something in between, Realms of Cthulhu is the Savage Worlds Call of Cthulhu setting and it's somewhat adjustable in terms of what kind of game you want.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

So I've been offered a badge and lodging for Gencon, as long as I get myself there and put in some night work hours.

Is it worth $300+Weekend Expenses+3 Days of Short Notice PTO time? I primarily play board games, some light M:TG, and tabletop RPG games, but I'm willing to try basically anything.

Deviant fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Jul 13, 2015

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

Deviant posted:

So I've been offered a badge and lodging for Gencon, as long as I get myself there and put in some night work hours.

Is it worth $300+Weekend Expenses+3 Days of Short Notice PTO time? I primarily play board games, some light M:TG, and tabletop RPG games, but I'm willing to try basically anything.

Yes. Even if you have a passing interest in board games, RPGs and CCG's it is way more than worth it.

edit: This is coming from someone who went on a whim for 1.5 days last year because I happened to be visiting friends in Indy and then turned around and planned a huge trip around it this year.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

Deviant posted:

Yes!

2.5 weeks bitches!

I'm kinda sorta thinking about selling my Doomtown Reloaded Deluxe that I got last year. (thanks goon that I don't remember the name of for grabbing it for me!)

I never get to play it. Anyone interested?

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/193360/gen-con-virtual-flea-market-2015

Or you could put in in the Gencon store too.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

Cool, thanks for the link. It seems like this thing is still fairly rare and going for way over retail. I figured if a goon wanted it I would sell it for retail as long as they promised not to immediately resell it, especially since another goon was kind enough to snag my copy for me last year. Nothing wrong with making some extra cash though

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

ok fine i'll go to the thing if my boss will give me the time off

go go magic credit card points!

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

You might be able to squeeze into netrunner Nats if that's still your jam. Someone who bought a ticket might have died or no call no showed.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Carteret posted:

You might be able to squeeze into netrunner Nats if that's still your jam. Someone who bought a ticket might have died or no call no showed.

It is sadly, not my jam anymore. But thanks.

My boss hasn't answered my PTO req yet and I don't want to be up her rear end about it. :ohdear:

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Found out the boss that was mad at me is quitting and the new one starts the day we get back from Gencon. I think it's safe to assume I'm not going to be surprise terminated and will get to still go to Gencon.

Direwolf
Aug 16, 2004
Fwar
Never doing my hotel booking through the Gencon website again. Just found out our reservation was maintained but they changed our room layout, so we can't have a cot anymore due to fire hazard, which means my best friend can't sleep in the room as he has a medical issue, meaning we have to somehow find a new reservation 2 weeks out within walking distance that can fit 4 people and doesn't quadruple our reservation costs. woo.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

Direwolf posted:

Never doing my hotel booking through the Gencon website again. Just found out our reservation was maintained but they changed our room layout, so we can't have a cot anymore due to fire hazard, which means my best friend can't sleep in the room as he has a medical issue, meaning we have to somehow find a new reservation 2 weeks out within walking distance that can fit 4 people and doesn't quadruple our reservation costs. woo.

My buddy got our room by booking directly with a hotel about a week in advance, and we're paying the same rate we would have through the GenCon site. The best room I could get through the site (I forget where I ended up in the queue) was at the airport.

I'm never booking through the site again either.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Deviant posted:

It is sadly, not my jam anymore. But thanks.

My boss hasn't answered my PTO req yet and I don't want to be up her rear end about it. :ohdear:

Hi $DEVIANT,
I don't have any concern with you taking these days off although I have two of these days off as well. We do still have a team rule of 1 person off per day, so I'm just getting final approval before I give final approval to you.

fffffffff

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Direwolf posted:

Did you contact the gen con housing board and/or the hotel? They're usually fairly accommodating when it comes to this, particularly if you made the reservation due to the setup specified. On top of that hotels are pretty generous when it comes to shuffling you around rooms if they didn't fit what you specifically went for.

Tlacuache
Jul 3, 2007
Cross my heart, smack me dead, stick a lobster on my head.

Len posted:

I bought that portable battery that was mentioned in the thread so hopefully I'll be on the group me this year. The girlfriend and I are both suffering from a case of the poor so can be bodies for any game that needs people.

Who all got into that NSDM on Thursday? And what should we do that's less awful than the "Do you have stairs?" to identify each other for maximum COLLUSION purposes?

Just 16 more work days. I'm excited.

Late, but I got in. Considering doing HATE, too.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

Peas and Rice posted:

My buddy got our room by booking directly with a hotel about a week in advance, and we're paying the same rate we would have through the GenCon site. The best room I could get through the site (I forget where I ended up in the queue) was at the airport.

I'm never booking through the site again either.

What hotels were booking rooms that weren't blacked out for those dates? I was looking weeks/months in advance and everything was already "sold out" for the required dates.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Deathlove posted:

What hotels were booking rooms that weren't blacked out for those dates? I was looking weeks/months in advance and everything was already "sold out" for the required dates.

FYI the pro-tip is to book the week you get back from GenCon because rates are actually reasonable but you can book directly with the hotels and score a no-hassle hotel and peace of mind.

Then gently caress up and sleep through event registration 8 months later.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

quote:

Hi $Deviant
I’ve approved the PTO requests in $utility

Awwwwwwwwwwwww yissssssssssssssssssss.

OtspIII
Sep 22, 2002

Due to some money issues I'm running a bit late on all of this, but I just bought all my plane/hotel/con tickets and am officially coming! I can't wait to bankrupt myself at the auction! Also, to see all the goonfriends I made at the con last time I came (2 years ago).

Deviant posted:

Oh, hey!

Pez
Feb 28, 2002

Thanks to CoX, my stairs will be protected forever!
I left more free time this year so hopefully I'll get to meet some goons. Last year I was busy all day every day with events and the dealer hall. But hey, this year I'm on a super budget trip so I can afford to buy things either! :toot:

Also we're stuck at a Marriott away from downtown so hopefully I can make friends to share cabs back with in the evening. :D

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Deviant posted:

yay!

Mudcrab Merchant
Dec 28, 2008

Please pay in exact change.

Deviant posted:

I already knew this because I'm the one who offered you free room and badge in exchange for manual labor but yaaaaaaay

I know you will like this con! It's like DragonCon but people aren't poo poo lords and the air conditioning works!

EDIT: It's Prime Day on Amazon! Buy yourself a battery to charge your phone so you don't miss any GroupMe messages! :cool:

Mudcrab Merchant fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Jul 15, 2015

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

OtspIII posted:

Due to some money issues I'm running a bit late on all of this, but I just bought all my plane/hotel/con tickets and am officially coming! I can't wait to bankrupt myself at the auction! Also, to see all the goonfriends I made at the con last time I came (2 years ago).

Oh, hey!

Oh, it's you! Hi!

yay!

Mudcrab Merchant posted:

I already knew this because I'm the one who offered you free room and badge in exchange for manual labor but yaaaaaaay

YOU'RE NOT MY loving SUPERVISOR until friday

Mudcrab Merchant
Dec 28, 2008

Please pay in exact change.
ALERT: Amazon has a Steak 'n Shake gift card on lightning at 2PM EST!

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

Mudcrab Merchant posted:

I know you will like this con! It's like DragonCon but people aren't poo poo lords and the air conditioning works!

I will not hear ill spoken of DragonCon until I make it to GenCon for the first time this year and decide I like it better.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

How does the Gencon store and auction each work? (Never been to Gencon before).

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
The site for Gen Con Auctions is here.

You can either put your item in the auction itself to be bid on, or at the auction store. When you put an item at the auction store, you can set three prices for it, for Thursday, Friday, and Saturday. If your item doesn't sell in the auction itself, you can mark it to go into the auction store (at whatever the minimum bid was) or to be returned to you. There's a up-front tag fee for each item registered (though a bundle only counts as one item) and a commission fee if it sells. The fees are higher for auction items but the top price you can set in the store is $50, so it's best for high-ticket items.

All the exact details should be at the site, and it's best if you register in advance, as the tag cost is much lower.

(Also it's a PITA to deal with on-site.)

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Anyone ever do the 6x6 larp system?

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

Goff Boyz iz da rudest Boyz

SKA SUCKS
Just a reminder guys: http://www.ruthschrisindy.com/GenCon/GenCon

Wife and I do this every year, always nice to have a meal that requires minimal waiting.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED

Deviant posted:

High-five! I'm in the same boat, I just got the Saturday beforehand approved so now I'll be less of a total loving zombie when I'm forced to get up at 8 or 9 in the morning. Having to be a daywalker sucks but at least I'll have loads of gaming to keep me distracted from sleep deprivation!

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

Looks like someone compiled this year's big-rear end geeklist of GenCon boardgame releases:
GenCon 2015 Preview

There are also a bunch of smaller, more curated lists if you don't want to dig through the 14 page megapost:
http://boardgamegeek.com/geeksearch.php?action=search&objecttype=geeklist&q=gencon&searchfield=title

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

Lawen posted:

Looks like someone compiled this year's big-rear end geeklist of GenCon boardgame releases:
GenCon 2015 Preview

This one is put together by BGG themselves. They reach out to publishers and get a variety of info directly from them to populate the list. Though as it mentions, it is not all-inclusive; some vendors choose to withhold some information from the list to be a surprise, or for whatever other reasons they may have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?
Arc Dream (Godlike, Delta Green, Monsters and Other Childish Things, Better Angels etc) has a bunch of events and games, some with tickets left: http://arcdream.com/home/2015/07/arc-dream-and-delta-green-at-gen-con-2015/

Also, my friend is running 3 games of Monsters and Other Childish Things with tickets left over: http://gencon.highprogrammer.com/gencon-indy-2015.cgi/gm/Daniel_McDowell

• Locked thread